England vs Italy - Sunday 19:45

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you been watching the game tonight? Carroll is actually a good player for what he does in this team. He controlled the ball alot tonight and actually got us going on a few occasions. If he's able to get a little better at and we start to utilise him a little better, alot of teams can't handle him.

He's not an international striker. "He controlled the ball alot" - wtf is that? He just received England's hoofing, brought it down, lost the ball.

Le's be honest though Gentlemen?

That's the best result that England could have hoped for if the FA wanted to keep the press on side & be positive going into the World Cup Qualifiers?

Losing valiantly on penalties to a superior team after battling for 2 hours to grind out the result. The press will be firmly behind the team & want them to grow & develop.

If they'd have lost during the 90 minutes to Italy who are technically superior but lack any "star power" as far as the press are concerned, or worse still, won that Shoot-Out & then gone on to be humiliated by a far superior German team, then the press would have done their usual vulture act & been circling wanting blood.

So England can now have the press backing them, rather than causing them to have even more pressure & hostility. A good result really.

No hard lines from me here, as we were totally outclassed over 120mins - Pirlo gave a masterclass in the art of the playmaker. For all of the effort and determination, England currently have a poor side with a lack of quality and ingenuity throughout. The amount of money that flows in (and mostly out) or the PL and for to have probably the worst England team in 20 years is nothing short of galling when that is taken into consideration.

Jordan Henderson and Ashley Young, FFS? :thdn::D

Ashley young has been shocking all tournament. Roys negative tactics have been a disgrace. Stumbled through the group knocked out by first serious opponents. Shocking.

Hodgson's tactics weren't negative, you can see it in his substitutions. It's the players who were utterly hopeless.

Whichever team went through was always going to be destroyed by a vastly superior german team, enjoy going home a matter of days later..

At least his team is still there through what they did on the park and not hoping for the pure luck,If England was still there you would be singing a different song.

I agree Germany will beat either team but thankfully they face Italy which were a far better side and could make for a better game,at least we may see Italy attack from time to time instead of watching England defend for 90 minutes.

Worst England side I have seen in a major competition for years.

Tbf, I think Cleverley is very talented. Him and Wilshere can make England competitive in this regard at the World Cup. You have to get rid of Andy Carroll though.

Wilshere, Cleverley, and Rodwell (if he progresses) should be a good midfield.

Have you been watching the game tonight? Carroll is actually a good player for what he does in this team. He controlled the ball alot tonight and actually got us going on a few occasions. If he's able to get a little better at and we start to utilise him a little better, alot of teams can't handle him.

Carroll is just awful technically. He'll always be dangerous because of his physique, obviously.

Wilshere, Cleverley, and Rodwell (if he progresses) should be a good midfield.

There's enough promise from forwards - Rooney and Welbeck will still be there. Sturridge might develop. Plenty of central defenders, but the missing thing is midfielders who can keep the ball - I reckon Cleverley and Wilshere can provide two of them.

Oh, and play three in the middle. Or this will happen again.

How can you honestly define Italy a Top Side?

England's awfulness made Italy look like a million bucks tonight despite playing their "poor man's Spain" football while having no end product whatsoever against bland opposition.

Exactly like they did against Croatia til they ran out of fuel and against Ireland, where they scored two rather casual goals (from set pieces).

Italy are CLEARLY the weakest semifinalist and are there mostly thanks to their opponents being even weaker.

That being said, England might have been unlucky with injuries, but you'd think a bit of an injury crisis shouldn't turn the nation with the best league in the world into a pathetic rehash of Ireland circa WC 1990.

Again, negative tactic, anti-football and all you want, but I just knew it was over once Gerrard and Rooney had taken their penalties because there was no other player able to comfortably score from the spot.

Italy could have probably sent 8 players with enough skills and mental strength to score. [obviosuly the wussy Montolivo was the one who fluffed it]

No Alan you are not 6th or 7th best in the World....someone have a word!

You are in the teens at best.

There is no "at best" about it. I agree with you about us not being 6th or 7th best in the world, but we are definitely not any worse than 19th in the world.

God, I love the jocks. You must of missed WC2010 then :D

Not at all,this competition you have really rode your luck,every single game you could have lost,you never looked good in any game and if you are being honest you could have easily lost all games instead of the results you got.

I never seen anything better than I did in 2010,you did get the luck this time.

Although the defence look this time around made it worse than 2010.

Whichever team went through was always going to be destroyed by a vastly superior german team, enjoy going home a matter of days later..

Maybe yes, maybe not...

You are OFF!!!!

Poor England, so arrogant...

But do no worry, you have several more years to learn

UP ITALY!!!

Again, negative tactic, anti-football and all you want, but I just knew it was over once Gerrard and Rooney had taken their penalties because there was no other player able to comfortably score from the spot.

Italy could have probably sent 8 players with enough skills and mental strength to score. [obviosuly the wussy Montolivo was the one who fluffed it]

Ashley Cole is normally pretty decent with pens tbh

Not at all,this competition you have really rode your luck,every single game you could have lost,you never looked good in any game and if you are being honest you could have easily lost all games instead of the results you got.

I never understand this point about being lucky. If your club side you supported were lucky in a game you wouldnt say the same, or if you were lucky in a cup match you wouldnt say you should have been knocked out, instead you look at the possitives. Whenever it comes to country tho people just look for negatives

Seen it on other forums too not just here

We were lucky with Ukraine's goal. We weren't lucky against France or Sweden. Not sure why you'd think we were lucky.

0-0 against Algeria alone was worse then anything this year, and that alone makes it worse

Maybe yes, maybe not...

You are OFF!!!!

Poor England, so arrogant...

But do no worry, you have several more years to learn

UP ITALY!!!

Has nobody told you youre also a pretty poor team, your best player is the wrong side on 30. We made you look much better than you are tonight, fact.

The only difference is we know were ****. As for arrogance well coming from an italian i did crack a bit of a smile there. i must admit.

I never understand this point about being lucky. If your club side you supported were lucky in a game you wouldnt say the same, or if you were lucky in a cup match you wouldnt say you should have been knocked out, instead you look at the possitives. Whenever it comes to country tho people just look for negatives

Seen it on other forums too not just here

He's a jock.

At least his team is still there through what they did on the park and not hoping for the pure luck,If England was still there you would be singing a different song.

I agree Germany will beat either team but thankfully they face Italy which were a far better side and could make for a better game,at least we may see Italy attack from time to time instead of watching England defend for 90 minutes.

Worst England side I have seen in a major competition for years.

It's okay. Scotland were worse. :) And...Holland.

Dire from England, tbh ive had enough lager to be all English about this loss... but I just cant, we were lucky to take the thing to penalties.

Tactically and technically we are still miles behind, which is a disgrace given the amount of money not only paid to the players involved in the England squad, but also the money we have in our 'game' as such. Putting people like Southgate in charge of developing our future is a joke, English people put too much emphasis on heart, courage, trying... which in turns means, lunging tackles, lumping it clear, running into blind alleys like a headless chicken. People have said it and ill say it again, look at how composed every Italian player was on the ball, whether in space or having an English player on their collar... its light and day why we are so far behind technically and thats why bar the odd miracle ala Greece in 2004, that teams like England who rely on 8-9 players behind the ball to block space will only get so far in tournaments... we lack quality, we lack composure and we lack the footballing talent/coaching know-how to say, get the ball, keep it and tire out the other team.... im waffling but look at the pass stats, at one point I think after 35mins or so, Italy had double the amount of succesful passes that we did and yet our pundits and in general we had our best spell inside those 35 minutes (chance wise)... what does that tell us!

We are out, we should be better, but we are not.

the nation with the best league in the world

Says nothing about the quality of English players, does it? England basically have no 'world class' players, maybe exactly because the best league in the world is the biggest mercenary gathering world-wide.

He's a jock.
Yea i know that but ive seen English fans say the same
It's okay. Scotland were worse. :) And...Holland.

If that makes you guys feel better than fair enough.

England were poor this competition,I am Scottish but I used to enjoy England's style of play,these days they have no style...just play deep and hope for the best.

Archived