CSI: Portsmouth - Our future hanging by a thread, a career thread that is.

Ty

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harry Kane is a cracking loan signing :thup:.

5 games, no goals.

I wouldn't put the blame all on Kane though, update soon, just go in from work.

portsmouthupdate.png

So Portsmouth embark on a struggle of a season at home to Spurs. Pompey are the bookies favourites to be relegated in 20th place this season, and after the start to the season they have had, it is no surprise.

-----

August/September

This couldn't of gone any worse, what a terrible start to the season. I am sure that this is possibly the worst start to the Premiership, ever?

starttoprem.png

That is 5 losses and conceded 23. Wow.

I will wont do a little part on every game, as every game went the same way. We did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes and rolled over. The Bolton game was the worst part, as that game could of been 10-15 goals, we was lucky with just 5 goals.

I was beginning to lose hope and counting the days until I was sacked. Then a beautiful free signing from last year popped up;

premwin.png

Songo'o stepping up his game after a couple of negative performances, gave us a bit of hope and takes us off the bottom to 18th. Above Villa and Swansea.

My next game is against Swansea who are rock bottom, so hopefully I can double my points next week!

-----

Money Problems? What Problems...

Portsmouth who before being promoted into the Premier League, was in dire shape financially. Luckily the money raised through promotion, play offs and TV rights has help put Pompey back into the black and given them a sure footing.

-----

Negative to Positive

financesh.png

(Ignore this months finances, it is only the 2nd of the month at the moment of screenshot)

So Portsmouth are finally in a secure place, even though results aren't going our way... the club is safe!

We are spending £13k a week less than our £140k wage budget a week, that is with the full 25 man squad and 8 reserve players (which is fantastic, seen as we had a much smaller squad on £240k a week last season). We need one or two 'experienced' players though, and with the free transfer market still open there is a chance the club will go in for another couple players. The squad is very inexperienced and need more leaders in the team.

After being asked what he feels about Portsmouth's financial state, Pompey boss Ty said;

It is fantastic news, we have come a long way in a season and to be in this position and be in the Premier League, it is a dream come true. We just need to concentrate on getting a few points on the board now. After a harsh start, the boys have lifted themselves well and getting that win against Stoke was brilliant. More results like that and I will have no complaints.

Had my little break from FM yesterday (c'mon, we all need a break!)... and got all excited to play again today after work, I've hit Christmas, so a 3 month update coming later on.

Pleasantly surprised is all I am going to say, could be worse!

Carling_Cup_logo_2009-10.jpg

With a heavy start to the Premiership life, a good cup run is exactly what Portsmouth want to raise spirits and get them playing their beautiful football from last season again.

-----

Results

carlingcupa.png

-----

Summary

It was great run in all honesty, we was never going to beat a VERY strong Spurs team (who lie top of the league) with strikers such as Cisse, Ba and Defoe!

Magri kept his cool twice in the game against Sheff Utd to score two penalties. Sheffield just wanted to kick us all game, so many fouls conceded on their behalf. You give us penalties and the composed Magri will score.

Brighton game was the biggest snatch and grab you have ever seen. We didn't create much all game and out of nowhere we scored with a fine Matt James goal. Brighton then flooded our goal with shots and attempts, they just couldn't score. They had 29 shots in total, to our 4. We took them all the way to penalties where we won with a Greg Halford winning penalty.

snatchgrab.png

Beating Wigan was a great result! We was 2-0 up and they only scored late on in the 90th minute, we controlled the game. We kind of went off the pace after the 71st minute, when Norwood got sent off. 9 shots and 7 on target, we really should of converted more. Harry Kane getting his only goal to date in this game, glad we aren't paying a fee/wages for him, he isn't performing!

Spurs, well, thrashing. Could of and should of been more, we held out. Simple.

ddabec47299c4959863ddf5659324e17.png?1343606397

After hearing news of the greater finances at Fratton Park and wage budget available. Pompey boss Ty was after a couple more faces to bring into his inexperienced youth squad, to help with the younger lads and make a contribution to the team.

-----

Owen Hargreaves

Was very pleased to bring him to the club! I know he wont be able to play every game of the season, he may even struggle one a week. But he will be there for the big games this season, them games that we need to win. He can control the game from the centre of the park. A former Bayern, Man Utd and Man City player will of course bring great experience to boost the club. The fans were pleased with the big name signing.

hargreaves.png

Miika Koppinen

My back line was very inexperienced. After the departure of £28k a week Mokoena, I didn't really replace him. Miika has been brought in for 9x less a week, and brings a lot more defensive security than Mokoena will have done. More of a natural central defender than the wondering Mokoena.

He will also help out tutoring Magri in his 1 year deal at the club. He is already declining, but will be fine for this season. Pearce was the oldest defender before he signed at 24.

koppinen.png

Rene Adler

What a signing for the club. I know I shouldn't be spending so much on wages (£15k a week), but this is for a former German number 1 and world class goalkeeper. He is already valued at £4.3m, and was snapped up on a free. I now feel safe that if a striker breaks through, we have one of the best shot stoppers in the league to prevent a goal. I had the spare wages, and felt that after the start of the season and conceding so many that it wasn't only a defensive inexperience, but also lacking a goalkeeper of Premiership quality.

reneo.png

-----

Interview

In an interview with Ty about his new signings, he said;

That is us done for the season now. I had to talk with the board to be able to bring Rene to club and thrilled they let me. He is known for his injury problems along with Owen, but I know they can both bring something to the club. Rene signed a long deal and hope to keep him here and fit for the entire contract, he is a quality lad and an exceptional goalkeeper. After speaking to Owen and Miikal, it was agreed that along with their playing contracts that they would help the youngsters develop and tutor them along. They are both professionals and they both know they wont play every game but willing help out the club as much as they can on and off the pitch.

portsmouthupdate.png

Portsmouth struggled early on in the season but things started to get smooth as it went along. A few wins here and there but no painful heavy losses like the start of the season. The signing of Adler could be the reason behind this.

-----

October

After the win at the Stoke, the lads were pumped going into October, and going against Swansea who were also near the bottom was the best chance of doubling our points.

fixoct.png

Swansea dominated but still lost due to a double from Songo'o, was pleasing to get 6 points on the board, onwards and upwards. Songo'o scoring 3 in 2 games after this which shows he can still cut it in the big league.

We then faced West Brom who were also lingering around the bottom. A great win away from home, couldn't be more pleased with it. The Pompey old boys Kanu and Norris scoring and Huseklepp to wrap it up.

We should of taken something from the Liverpool game. Huseklepp missed a penalty in the 82nd minute, no idea why he stepped up when two of my other main takers were on the pitch. Devastated. All in all, a great month, 6 points from 9 and we are away from the bottom.

November

All in all, another great month, 7 points from 12 available. Two absolute shock results as well. A month which really shows the Fortress Fratton at its best!

fixnov.png

We was never going to score against Arsenal and our point was proved when they had to score for us. Even a Laurent own goal wasn't enough to grab anything at Emirates.

Man City came for a visit to Fratton Park, and they was so close to leaving without a point as well. Songo'o on form again, really impressed by Franck. What a return to Pompey he is making. 3 goals in 3 minutes for us early in the first half gave us the 2-0 advantage, but it wasn't until the 90th minute when Yaya popped up to score a lovely goal and snatch a point from us. Would of took a point before the game so was happy in general.

Beating Wigan twice in a month was good for us, this time it was a poachers finish from Luke Varney, who has been very quiet this season after bursting into the Portsmouth fans' hearts last season.

Portsmouth 2-1 Chelsea. Yes, you read that correctly! Before the game AVB gave it the big guns saying how poor Portsmouth was and that our squad wasn't anywhere near good enough for this league. We made him eat his words beautifully. Ramires gave them the lead in the 5th minute, but instead of our heads going down... everyone became motivated! We scored and held our ground. Then grabbing the second early in the second half, we parked the bus and soaked up the pressure. Welcome to Fortress Fratton AVB, your squad isn't good enough to compete here. Our starting line-up, no... our whole squad (almost 30) costs less a week in wages than Fernando Torres does.

December

Not as positive this month, too many losses against average teams.

fixdec.png

Nothing to say about Sunderland, awful from everyone. So many low 6s and 5s.

Finally getting one over on Blackpool! 4-0 win and great result, a couple months ago we was losing 4-0. Varney showing his touch of class again, scoring twice against his former team. Songo'o scoring yet again makes the win even better.

Losing 3-0 to Reading was hard, we should be beating fellow promoted teams with our squad. It wasn't even a small loss, it was a battering. It was all happy again after new boy (well, not as new anymore) Miika scores the only goal to beat Norwich. Rose the highest from a corner and belted it home from his forehead.

We was favourites going into both the Villa and Everton games, yet we never really got going. Huseklepp put us in the lead against Villa but it was against the run of the play and eventually Villa got their result. Everton was another poor performance on our behalf, rather than the opposition being brilliant.

We really need to up our game and stop handing teams the points. We just haven't turned up to a few games, from beating Chelsea then losing 3-0 to Reading.

prembadge.png

Portsmouth shock the media and pundits coming into the new year in 13th place. A real achievement from the squad they have. It begs the question what manager Ty Clark could do with the team if he had a larger transfer budget to work with.

-----

leaguetablek.png

What a position we are in going into January!

Incredible. Goal difference is a little shabby though. But you should be able to start turning that round if you can keep the form up.

Can't help the GD, that is what getting battered at the start of the season gets you :(

Hopefully turn around the 2 game loss streak at the moment when I start up again in a minute.

portsmouthupdate.png

After asking what the manager of Portsmouth could do if he was given a budget only days ago. News coming out of the club at the start of the transfer window is that the board have raised Ty's wage budget and given him almost £5m to work with.

-----

MONEY!

1d5b8aa48cbba16749cc57907846ff8d.png?1345144108

We managed to catch up with Clark outside Fratton Park, after the meeting with the board about the new budget;

It is brilliant news that the club is in a healthy state and able to offer me a budget. I am not going to make the mistake of the former boss of Pompey and spend what we can't afford. If we can't pay the fee upfront, then we wont be buying the player. Deals these days are often staggered and include clauses which can cost the club millions.

I am not currently after anyone in particular, but it is good to know if I wanted to spend, the money is there. The only area I would want to strengthen is bring in another striker that has played consistently at this level before and a defender, but I am in no rush. The team is looking great and our finances are secure, that is all that matters.

Absolutely looving the thread Ty.

You are going along very well. To be honest I didn't actually seeing you winning five games!

Cheers Tom. Doing this thread makes me enjoy FM more than usual :)

After my shocking opening I thought I'd be sacked faster than ever. Currently going over the transfer market with a fine comb!

The Magri Saga

Portsmouth in the last few days have been struggling to keep hold of their star academy player Sam Magri, who has risen from the u18 squad to be a star player in the starting eleven. It is said that Magri is worth more than £5m to the club but Ty isn't keen on selling.

-----

The initial offer for Sam Magri came from Chelsea, who have been keep close tabs on Magri for a while now.

01da82d1febbc7b81acad882664c39cd.png

The staggered £1.8m offer was laughed off by Pompey boss Ty and the board alike. They said that Sam was indispensable to the club and wouldn't sell him.

This caused a brainwave from Magri's agent, who thought he could make money from the speculation of a proposed move;

0f5e3c39a565598940134dcce7b1387b.png

The meeting with Magri and his agent was arranged and they offered a deal worth £4.8k a week for Magri. This included a large agent fee for Aquilina, who has announced that it wasn't only Chelsea chasing Magri, but Arsenal and Man City too.

Following the contract negotiations, Man City and Arsenal both came in for Magri to try and tempt him away from Fratton Park.

6e9ac86b367b4ae21f20d96e29c4ac88.png

Arsenal offering £1.9m and Man City £2.2m, which were both again considered laughable by the Pompey boss who is determined not to sell one of his star defenders this season.

Chelsea and Arsenal seemed to drop the chase after both their offers were rejected, but AVB was seen at Pompey's trip to Bolton watching Magri. Following this, Man City were persistent to get their man and increased their offer steadily over the next week. Each time being rejected.

The day before the transfer window closed and Man City already wrapping up a £40.5m deal for Mascherano, The Citizens swooped in one final time with a large offer for the England u19 star.

4374d70ce17d2d17113b4b41089dbc92.png

£4.7m was the final offer placed on the table by Mancini, this included a £4.2m upfront package. Later in the day it was announced that Portsmouth had rejected the offer and that Magri had put pen to paper to extend his contract a further 2 years with a £2.8k wage rise.

Pompey boss said;

It is fantastic that Sam has signed a new deal. A lot of players these days lack loyalty and would jump at the opportunity, but he wants to play football and not sit on a bench or even in the reserves. We now know we have a star player in the squad when Chelsea and Man City come knocking. Hopefully this will be a major confidence boost to the young lad.

How long was left on his old contract? I get that a lot (Can't remember what it's like on FM12 but is very annoying on FM11) and if there's more than a year and a half to go I laugh the greedy agent out of my office.

Think he had 18 months left on it. To be honest, it was only fair. He has great potential (5* supposedly), with Man City/Chelsea sniffing around... £2k a week just doesn't seem much for the youngster. Gone up a step with England as well, now playing u21s. £4.8k a week for a possible future England CB, I'll take it.

You should definitely up the asking price for Magri. Doing well in the EPL.

He isn't for sale :mad:

Think he had 18 months left on it. To be honest, it was only fair. He has great potential (5* supposedly), with Man City/Chelsea sniffing around... £2k a week just doesn't seem much for the youngster. Gone up a step with England as well, now playing u21s. £4.8k a week for a possible future England CB, I'll take it.

I see your point, sometimes I do give new contracts in that situation, just that it happens so much in ridiculous situations (like way below value transfer bids, where a player can't complain I rejected) that I tend to dislike it almost every time.

Sorry about lack of updates. I got playing FM and never updated, got too sucked into the game. I screenshotted all the stuff that has happened and now working on an update (quite a large one).

ddabec47299c4959863ddf5659324e17.png?1343606397

With money being pumped into the club, the Pompey manager had the chance to bulk his squad up to improve for the second half of the season. In a previous interview, Clark said he had a few options available to him but money was a problem.

-----

The strike force at Pompey was severely slacking in the first half of the season, relying on goals from wide men Songo'o and Varney too much, and with on loan striker Kane not scoring, the strikers needed improving.

Charlie Austin

Although there has been keen interest in Austin's partner at Burnley, Jay Rodriguez, he seemed a bit out of the price budget of Portsmouth. Charlie had 13 goals coming into January this season, and with great work rate and determination, he is the Pompey style of player we like to have at the club. Signed for £2.5m upfront and £11k a week at the age of 23, we seemed to have nicked a bargain here. Here is hoping he can make an impact on the South Coast.

austinp.png

Mushaga Bakenga

Mushaga came highly recommended by two of my top scouts. After moving to the Pro League to top side Club Brugge, Bakenga had only made a small impact and scored 7 goals prior to moving to Pompey in the 2012/13 season, 5 the season before. He is still young at 20 years of age but has the mental ability of someone far beyond him. Composed in front of goal and times his runs brilliantly, he could be the game changing type of player we have been missing at Portsmouth. £975k upfront and the deal was done.

bakenga.png

-----

This brought an end to the January transfer spending. With Kanu leaving at the end of the season, Huseklepp being subject to injuries of late and Kane not looking promising enough to be made a permanent deal. Bringing in two strikers was a wise option.

portsmouthupdate.png

Portsmouth sitting comfortably in 13th place after a shaky start to the season, things were looking promising coming into the second half of the season. New faces in the strike force and the team soon to play Spurs in the FA Cup, team morale was high.

-----

January

The month of draws, my god, thank god we ended things with a win. Can't complain because in the league we ended January undefeated! There wont be a seperate FA Cup run update, as you can see, we got hammered by Spurs.

januarye.png

The year started with almost one of the biggest upsets yet. Spurs high flying at the top of league and was destroying us (game ended Spurs 27 shots - to our 3), it was 1-1 before Afobe popped up in the 90th minute to score and put us 2-1 ahead, but in the 92nd minute, Spurs hit back instantly to salvage a point through Olssen.

Charlie Austin made his Portsmouth debut against Man United in the next game and what an impact, again we was being battered (United's 23 shots to our 3) and trailing 1-0. Then Austin managed to find a bit of space and with our only shot on target managed to find the back of the net. Fans favourite instantly.

We was losing to Bolton from the 2nd minute, not looking like scoring until Austin come off the bench in place of the tiring Kanu to net his 2nd goal in his 2nd Pompey game and rescue a point. £2.5m is looking a bargain!

I don't know what it is about scoring on your debut, but Bakenga proved that he is worth his £975k price tag. Assisting and scoring in a 3-1 romping over Fulham.

February/March

Very tough couple of months, not many games played in March either due to FA Cup games. 2 points coming from our hardest 2 games, we really turn it on against the big teams but fall asleep against the smaller teams, something which needs sorting out.

februarykw.png

Austin kept up his scoring record against Stoke, but it was Huseklepp that took MOTM and the headlines. Two stunning strikes from distance see us ease past Stoke.

8 goals in our match up with relegation fighting Newcastle. 5 of them came against us though. Huseklepp scoring consecutive braces but it wasn't enough to keep out a fired up Newcastle.

It was Swansea's turn to come at us the next game and a late consolation goal from Norris wasn't enough to help us. Swansea kept possession well and we couldn't do anything.

Austin back to scoring ways helped us overcome West Brom, and a long range effort from Norris settled the game. If we could of finished in this game, it would of been 7 or 8 goals, but clinical was the last thing we could of been described as on the day.

Liverpool is a team we can't beat or even come close to every time we play them. A strong outfit but it isn't helped when Owen Hargreaves is sent off and Magri puts it into his own net. Embarrassing in the end. This was followed by a boring goalless draw with Arsenal, Fortress Fratton doing the job again.

The next game was astounding. Dzeko gave Man City the lead, but was cancelled out 11 minutes later by Charlie Austin (with our ONLY shot on target the whole game). After this, there was 60 minutes of onslaught by Man City. We had 3 shots in the whole game, Man City had 35. 35 shots and Adler denied most of them. If it wasn't for Adler it could of been double figures... no idea how we walked away from Manchester with a point, but we did.

April/May

Over the next couple months, we really picked up form and only lost 2 games. But when you look at it, we only lost 5 games in the second half of the season, which is incredible!

maym.png

Another goal off the bench from Bakenga won us the game late on in the 90th minute, this lad is a real game gem of a signing. He injects our front line with pace and clinical finishing, even if he gets half a chance he will bury it. Huseklepp scoring before that to put us in the lead, and Wigan equalising.

Bakenga was now in the swing of things at Pompey and was given more game time after joining. He repaid that by wrapping up the goals against Sunderland in a 2-0 win, Hargreaves dispatching a beautiful free kick before that.

Chelsea got their revenge on us beating us at Stamford Bridge, not convincingly mind you. Scraping a 1-0 win in the 82nd minute from Mata.

We did the double over our fellow promoted side this season, Blackpool. Beating them a second time through another goal from Bakenga and Huseklepp. The duo looking lethal when played together up top.

Norwich didn't look half the team they was at the start of the season, and was beat well and truly on their visit to Fortress Fratton. Norwood scoring a long range free kick and Huseklepp getting yet another brace. Erik looking in fine form this season after previous injury worries.

We scraped a point at Reading, a team we really should be beating. Austin popped up to snatch us a point at Fratton Park, again becoming weaker against weaker sides. This was followed by a disappointing defeat at Villa Park.

Our final game of the season in the Premiership was against Everton, and we could of won it as well. A cool, calm penalty from Sam Magri (who was become a quality player of the last season) in the 28th minute saw us take the lead, but a long range effort in the 86th minute sent the visiting fans crazy and gained them a point.

-----

A very solid second half to the season, so impressed!

Archived