FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

The Swindon move got moved as we had many players on international duty, did also mean we ended up with a ten day break which was needed as most of the team were needing a rest. The early season gets tough in League 1, I haven't played in England in a while, forgot how many fixtures there were in such a short time early on.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - October & November 2016/17

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-4_zps0b69273b.jpg

npowerFootballLeagueOneOverview_Stages-3_zps6d91ef68.jpg

It's been a much trickier couple of months, but we're still right at the business end of the League One table and in a better position than anybody could have imagined at the start of the season. November has dished us up a pretty tricky run of fixtures, including four cup matches, where we've only picked up the one win. I'm not overly concerned by this poor run, as five of the games have been on the road against tough opposition, although we should have done a lot better against BSP side, Dover, in the FA Cup. The board expectation was to reach the 3rd round, so we've fallen short here, and have missed out on the potentially lucrative tie against bigger opposition. All this means we're now out of all of the cups and can 100% focus on our league campaign.

Off the pitch, things are looking a bit glum as we're haemorrhaging money all over the place. We're losing about £150k per month, and the bank balance is now £1m in the red. Unfortunately, there's very little I can do about it too, as we're under the wage budget; I just hope the board doesn't accept a bid over my head for one of our star players.

Excellent league performance - worrying news about the finances. £150k per month is a hell of a lot to be losing at League One level, especially considering you're within budget. Surely when clubs rise up the leagues IRL (Doncaster Rovers or Swansea for example) they don't have quite so much difficulty in making ends meet?

Yeah, the finances are a bit of a puzzler. We've got the fourth smallest gate average in the league, but also the fourth lowest wage budget too- I would have thought they would have balanced each other out? Perhaps we need a new accountant!

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - December & January 2016/17

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-5_zps2333482c.jpg

npowerFootballLeagueOneOverview_Stages-4_zps672a828b.jpg

Things are definitely starting to slip a bit now! The winter months haven't been particularly kind to us, seeing the club win only three times over the course of two months. Due to this, we've dropped down to third and out of the automatic promotion places, and will need to soon build some momentum up for the remaining games of the season. Of course, if we win our game in hand (away to Bury), we'll move back to second on goal difference, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that we will catch Stevenage up at the top.

On the whole, the majority of performances haven't been too bad, and one could argue that we were unlucky not to have won some of the games we have drawn. That said, we were dire against Stevenage, and for such a crucial six-pointer of a match, I would have thought we would have put more of a fight up. February will now be a hugely pivotal month!

On a side note, Shane Dixon has already broken the club's goalscoring record; 22 goals, and sixteen games still to play :brock:

Sorry I am short on updates, I haven't been able to get the screenshots uploaded, I have progressed into January, and I do have all the screenshots ready, but internet access has been temperamental at best since Friday. Hopefully will improve, or I might be at work tomorrow and can get the updates through to where I am up to done. Hope to have the season complete within the 10 days as well.

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - February & March 2016/17

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-6-1.jpg

npowerFootballLeagueOneOverview_Stages-5-1.jpg

February was a great month, four wins out of six, and outlining us as big promotion contenders once again. Then March happened. Dismal display after dismal display, and now the playoffs are really the best we can hope for. And I can't say I'm that positive about our run-in, either, with tricky games coming up against in-form Portsmouth, and playoff challenging, Middlesbrough. We still should have enough points to stumble through, but would certainly also like to take a bit of momentum with us into the remaining fixtures of the season; let's hope Barnet and Burton don't put up too much of a fight.

Thinking about the long term of the club, I think next season will be difficult if we remain in League One. We could really do with the financial boost of Championship football, which should see us break-even at worse. That said, if we do go up, the capacity at Wheatsheaf Park will need to be considerably upped, as 5000 seats is nowhere near enough; however, I've no idea where the money for any expansions will come from, and I fear a large loan will be required to cover our overheads. PH71, you have been warned, promotion or no promotion, the future's a bit on the bleak side!

This is the start of a few months worth of updates I am attempting to get up today...enjoy as I am currently in Mid Feb

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

npower Football League One

November 1st 2016

OctJobInterest.png

Transfers

Loan

Mark Stephenson (DL) - Signed as more DL cover as Farrell has been quite bad.

The Cups

Johnstone's Trophy North 2nd Round

05.10.16 vs Macclesfield 0:0 (p3:2)

Well we were the better team throughout this game and ended up quite lucky to get out of it on penalties (AGAIN), we pushed forward and couldn't get the goal, but our defense of the title will continue.

The League

15.10.16 at Wycombe 0:1

I was quite disappointed with the quality of our team in this game, we had some good features, but is gutting to lose.

19.10.16 vs Swindon 1:4

McHugh (22)

They scored first, but we equalised immediately, disappointingly from there we went behind big. Down by 2 goals going into the second half I told the boys to turn it around, nothing happening and we even let them score another. A disappointing end to this game, though they were better than us.

22.10.16 vs Bradford 2:2

Cronin (15), Campbell (24)

Stepping back from our two losses we stepped up a bit in this game, and we did play better. Disappointed to see us concede a goal inside the first ten minutes. Lucky for us Cronin & Campbell stepped into the breach and scored a pair of goals to give us a halftime lead, it was a disappointing end to the game as they scored late for us to only draw. We are dropping down towards relegation now.

25.10.16 at Notts Co 0:3

We dominated possession, we played well through the middle of the park, but our strikers couldn't hit the barn door, a disappointing result, but if we can't score we can't win.

29.10.16 at Scunthorpe 3:2

Jones (34), Ryan (43), Horgan (83)

Once we went down 2 nil in this game I decided a change was needed, I used a variation on my own normal 4-2-3-1, and the change seemed immediate as Jones scored after 4 minutes, then Ryan before halftime for us to get on even terms. We were better with the ball as we then saw them go to 10 men and Horgan finished the game with a winner which saw us end the month on a high.

The Table

Sorry Forgot a table screenshot for October.

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

December 1st 2016

NovReadingEmbargo.png

Well Reading saw a 10pt deduction and a transfer embargo as they failed to pay their players, this means they aren't in a challenge against us anymore and fall into relegation territory. At the same time there are other teams chasing Smylie for their vacant manager slots.

Transfers

Loan

James McGuire (MC) - I signed him on a short term loan (3 Months) in an attempt to cover some midfield weaknesses, he made 12 good appearances as he scored 1 goal and got 3 assists for a 7.13 avg rating. I am trying to bring him back til the end of the season as well.

The Cups

Johnstone's Trophy North Quarter-Final

08.11.16 at Crewe 1:1 (p4:2)

Cronin (76)

This game was pretty one-sided, we were on top for the whole game, but it took us 76 minutes to get the break-through. Once we did I was pretty happy until they scored with just three minutes left and we were off to penalties again, our takers though are all quite solid as Horgan, Jones, West & McHugh all scored to make sure we won it with a kick to spare.

Johnstone's Trophy North Semi-Final

29.11.16 at Burton 5:0

Jones (15,90+2), Cronin (46), West (54), Armstrong (57)

Another game where we showed our domination, this time we got a goal in the 15th minute to West's new partner Kris Jones, West then missed a penalty as we battled to hold our 1:0 lead at half time. The boys were sent out with some encouragement and this saw three goals in the next twelve minutes as Cronin, West & Armstrong put the result beyond doubt, then we held on with ease as Jones slotted a late goal to delight the travelling fans and we avoided penalties for the first time.

FA Cup 1st Round

12.11.16 at Newport Co 4:1

Ryan (4), Horgan (11), West (39), OG (53)

A tight tussle between these clubs was bound to happen and I was very happy when we scored first, but Newport got a goal back after 8 minutes, this game was end to end stuff as we then managed to score through Horgan. The game was still tight even when we managed to get a goal from West before halftime. Very happy to make the second round on this result.

FA Cup 2nd Round

26.11.16 vs Yeovil 3:2

Adam (14), Donovan (17), OG (45+2)

This game was ours all along, even though I rested 6 starters for this game, we never looked like losing and with them getting two goals it was more a bit of bad luck for us than anything going wrong, and we made it through to the third round and a home game against Premiership competition...Wigan...LOL.

The League

05.11.16 vs Rochdale 4:0

OG (13), West (pen 16,65), Cronin (21)

Now this is the sort of game we had been looking to put together for a while, with three goals in the first 21 minutes we took a commanding lead and then could sit back, West completed the rout in the 65th minute as he made it four nil, a great result for our second straight win.

19.11.16 vs Crawley 2:1

Ryan (45+1), West (77)

The opposition scored in the 7th minute and then tried to sit back and defend against us. We got the equaliser from a corner in injury time at the end of the first half. This meant I could encourage the boys into the second half, and it paid off as we got forward and had West complete a great move to give us the lead and the eventual victory.

League 1 Young Player of the Month

NovYPotM.png

The Table

NovLeague.png

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

January 1st 2017

DecUnbeaten.png

Yes the unbeaten streak has continued from late October through into the new year, this has moved us up the table even more, I am pleased with the late year form. Hopefully it can continue through til May.

Transfers

None in December

The Cups

No Cup Games this Month

The League

03.12.16 at Charlton 2:1

Campbell (7), West (75)

A nice tight tussle was had with Charlton, and it looked like it could be a tough draw as we headed towards half time, but Charlton then lost a player to a red card and our domination was due to come in after the break. It came about as we slowly gained the upper hand and when Daniel West put another goal into the net we grabbed the win late in the game.

10.12.16 vs Plymouth 1:1

Armstrong (59)

Possession in this match was dead even, but the attacking half of the pitch was dominated by our boys and we were gutted to concede an early own goal, as Plymouth never looked like scoring I pushed more and more players forward and eventually their defense cracked and we saw Armstrong slot the ball home. It was disappointing to not score a winner late in the match, but a draw was good enough for now.

17.12.16 at Carlisle 3:0

Jones (34), West (36), Ryan (41)

Carlisle never stood a chance in this match as we dominated from the outset and it may have taken 34 minutes for us to break the deadlock, but that opened the flood gates as we got two more in quick succession, the game was over before half time and extended our unbeaten streak.

26.12.16 vs Crewe 3:0

James (51), McHugh (56), Ryan (69)

Another game where we were the best team by quite a long way, we dominated the first half, but just struggled to make the break through. In the end James got a good goal, and then McHugh & Ryan stepped up to finish off the game and made sure we took another win.

31.12.16 at Barnsley 3:2

Jones (28), Campbell (50), West (83)

This ended up being the toughest game in December as we twice had to battle back from behind, but some good work by the boys saw us get on top in the 83rd minute when West added another goal to his season tally. Kris Jones is starting to really come into his own as well and this strike partnership is looking awesome.

DecYPotM.png

League 1 Manager of the Month

The Table

DecLeague.png

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

February 1st 2017

JanRecordAtt.png

Well this was to be a month of records, not only did we break the record attendance as we sold out our ground for the FA Cup fixture against Wigan, we also managed to break the Johnstone's Trophy record for goals in a match as the first leg of the North Final went all the way with a 6:4 result. And Smylie made it to his 300th game in Management in the match against Wigan as well. As always because of this history teams were chasing Smylie for his signature.

Transfers

Transfers In

Mitchell Crook (DL) - He joined on a free as another cover for Left back, Wilkinson has cemented the starters role, but the back-up job is still there.

Loans In

Mohamed M'Bengue (MC) - He was brought in as a replacement in case I can't re-sign McGuire, the club needs another centre mid player.

The Cups

Johnstone's Trophy North Final First Leg

17.01.17 vs Coventry 6:4

Ryan (18,69), Jones (27,63,82), M'Bengue (78)

Wow this game was just crazy, They scored the first goal, we equalised, then we took the lead and they equalised all inside the first half hour it was 2:2. After the break they scored at the 60th minute, we equalised once again and then scored our 4th in the 69th minute to gain a lead that we wouldn't surrender. M'Bengue scored in his debut and Jones finished the deal with his hattrick goal, a late consolation goal made for what was going to be a tough battle at their place.

FA Cup 3rd Round

07.01.17 vs Wigan 1:4

James (pen 75)

I never expected a result here, the main aim had to be to keep the game within reach and see what would happen. I actually ended up resting 9 starters, 2 were on international duty, 2 loanees were unavailable, and 5 players needed a rest, this led to quite a junior side heading out, but the cup was less important than the league at this point. In the end it took Wigan til the 55th minute to crack our defense and from there it was still tight, but at some point the boys tired and then Wigan was all over us as they took the game 4:1 with three goals after the 70 minute mark.

The League

02.01.17 vs Crystal Palace 2:0

Horgan (5), Jones (46)

The new year started as the previous year finished, we grabbed a good win against Crystal palace with an early goal in each half leading the way. I was pretty pleased with the way the starters played in this one. We had also greatly reduced our goals against, we were down to 7 against in our last ten league games after conceding 33 goals in the 14 games before that.

11.01.17 vs Ipswich 1:0

Ryan (11)

We just played our own game here, we were the better team for most of the game, but we could only get the single goal. A win by any means possible of course.

14.01.17 at Watford 0:3

Taking on one of the top teams in the league at this stage is a bit tough, we were alright early on, but the goal just before half time broke our efforts and following that we went down with ease. I am not worried about taking a loss against a top class side like Watford though, we do need to step up when we meet them in the JPT Final though.

21.01.17 vs Forest 0:1

After facing Watford we had to take on Notts Forest who are the league leaders at this stage. This game should've been a draw the whole time, we were right with them the whole time, and we played good enough to deserve a point, but a late goal in injury time saw us go down at the last possible stage.

28.01.17 at Oldham 3:0

Campbell (40), Armstrong (43), James (58)

We got back on the horse here as the boys stepped up either side of the half time break as we pushed Oldham around the park and managed to take a good three goal lead. This game made me much happier at the end of January.

JanYPotM.png

The Table

JanLeague.png

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

March 1st 2017

FebNiemeyerINJ.png

We lost our Keeper early in February to a bad injury, he will miss 2-3 months, hopefully be back for the end of the season.

Transfers

No Transfers this Month

The Cups

Johnstone's Trophy North Final Second Leg

09.02.17 at Coventry 5:4 (11-8)

Armstrong (14), McHugh (35), OG (71), McGuire (88), West (90+3)

The second leg had a lot to live up to after a 6:4 result in the first, and wow the boys went crazy, We had a good two goal lead at half time meaning we were up 8-4 on aggregate with 45 mins to play. Coventry then added goals in the 54th & 66th minutes to bring it back to 8-6, a goal each way, before they took the lead in this game at 4:3 after 82 mins. I was a little stunned, but we were still up 9-8 on aggregate. Then McGuire & West stepped up in the final minutes to make sure we won, and took an 11-8 result on aggregate.

The League

04.02.17 vs Reading 5:1

West (3,pen 45+3), Armstrong (49), Johnson (69), Ryan (73)

The broke team, Reading are in serious financial trouble, but they are performing about the same as us with a 10pt deficit. West scored a nice early goal and got us up early, he added a penalty before halftime and at two nil we were on top of them. At no point did Reading even get close to beating us. They did get a late consolation goal.

14.02.17 at MK Dons 1:2

Jones (79)

I was a bit gutted here, but we went down by two goals early and had no real chance to get back on top.

18.02.17 vs Darlington 1:1

Horgan (45)

We were the better team and had a good chance at a win and a shot at the playoffs positions. But a goal from Darlington just after half time meant the whole game turned into a draw.

22.02.17 at Southend 3:3

West (pen 5,9), Ryan (66)

Well a beautiful Daniel West double gave us an early lead, but before half time the opposition came back and made us down at the break 3:2, I ripped up at halftime as I was very unhappy to be looking at three games without winning. Ryan scored from a corner

28.01.17 at Morecambe 3:1

OG (45), West (pen 80), Horgan (89)

Well we got a goal at 45 mins from their player trying to take it away from our striker and the tackled ball going into the goal. After the break they got an equaliser, and I thought it was going to end that way, but goals from West and Horgan made sure that we finished with a win.

The Table

League.png

And it seems Blackburn really wanted us to sign to help them.

With 12 games to go (+ the JPT Final), I think we would have to be happy with a top ten finish from here, and I think my biggest aim has to be to retain the JP Trophy.

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - April & May 2016/17

npowerFootballLeagueOneOverview_Stages-6-1.jpg

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-7-1.jpg

On another day, 84 points might have been enough for second place and automatic promotion, but, alas, we will have to chance our luck in the perils of the playoffs. Finishing fourth instead of third may prove a blessing in disguise, as this means we will miss in-form Charlton in the semi-finals; Rochdale will be tough, but still a side I feel fairly confident of beating over the two legs. Only time will tell, I suppose!

Overall, though, we've ended our standard league campaign pretty well, winning three of the last four games, and I hope to take this form into our double-header against Rochdale. Most importantly, Shane Dixon is back in the goals again, and closing in on the landmark of 30 league goals for the season. Long may it continue for another couple of weeks!!

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - The Playoffs 2016/17

RochdalevStainesInformation_Overview.png

StainesvRochdaleInformation_Overview.png

CharltonvStainesInformation_Overview.png

What a rollercoaster of a season; after dominating the first half of the League One season, we had to wait until the final of the playoffs to secure back-to-back promotions, and bring Championship football to Wheatsheaf Park!

Final League Table | Past Positions | Finances

In order to comply with next season's league requirements, the board has announced that the stadium will be increased by 3000 seats, bringing us to a capacity of 8000 once completed. This is going to take 10 months (!) to finish, so we'll be playing at The Den, Millwall for much of next season- time to dig out your hardhats!

Sorry, finances are a mess still. Nothing really anything I could do- next year should be better (hopefully!).

Key Players

Shane Dixon - the main man, 35 goals in the season is a great return! I played him as a lone striker, but could easily do a job in a pair too. Should be fine for the Championship.

Tim Farrell - he was the creative link in the centre of midfield. Might not cut it at a higher level.

Mick Brack - quite injury prone, missing nearly half of our games. He's only 21, so can only get better. Played on the right wing.

Jeff Allen - our best defender. Lots of interest from other clubs, but would be very difficult to replace if sold.

Keith Downes - developing nicely at right-back. Should make the step-up without too much trouble.

Kevin Jackson - his contract runs out in the summer. It's a 50:50 call whether to renew; he's rated very highly but will demand a big payrise to stay.

And, here's the save! Good luck PH71! (chuck us back on the bottom of the list, please)

I have 3 games to go, sorry I have gone a bit long, nearly there...Just one question for RoTW, There is not a single good Youth Candidate, I would generally just let them all go, does anyone think we should keep some so we have some U19s at all? Financially we are in a deep deep hole.

I have 3 games to go, sorry I have gone a bit long, nearly there...Just one question for RoTW, There is not a single good Youth Candidate, I would generally just let them all go, does anyone think we should keep some so we have some U19s at all? Financially we are in a deep deep hole.

How are we in terms of promotion. A youth squad doesn't cost too much in the overall scale of things. However, I'm not usually one for just drafting fodder.

How are we in terms of promotion. A youth squad doesn't cost too much in the overall scale of things. However, I'm not usually one for just drafting fodder.

I ended up having a good look through and deciding that absolutely none of them were worth being kept in the squad and I would rather have a loan 100 pound player in every position than one of them.

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

April 29th 2017

Transfers

No Transfers this Month

The Cups

Johnstone's Trophy Final

Live From Wembley

26.03.17 vs Watford 3:2

Jones (1,88), West (49)

Well the boys were delighted to be off to Wembley for the second season in a row, and it showed as in the first minute Kris Jones stepped in and scored with ease, this put him well clear in the hunt to be the Golden Boot of the competition as well. Watford managed to score a couple of goals before half time to be leading at the break. I told the boys that they weren't that bad, but I knew they could be better and when Daniel West put us even right away I thought it was all on. It turned into a tussle as we went end to end with shots save, corners and then Simon getting sent off for his second yellow card. I was a little bit worried now, but Kris Jones stepped up and settled it, and it seems fitting that he got the winning goal in the Final, and the Man of the Match as he has the most goals and most assists in the Trophy this season. A Brilliant back to back trophy haul there, and now to concentrate on getting promotion.

This caused a Party in the Streets

The League

04.03.17 vs Leyton Orient 3:1

West (pen 3,31), Armstrong (52)

This is absolutely what we needed, we were the better team from the start, and happened to get lucky with an early penalty that West slotted home to give us the lead, he added a goal before half time and then Armstrong finished the game after the break. We allowed them to get a consolation goal, but that is all it was.

07.03.17 at Swindon 4:5

Simon (35), Adam (55), Donovan (76), OG (86)

Well it was a bit disappointing when we went behind 2 nil early to their goals in the twenties, we managed to get one back, but then they turned it around to lead 4:1. Just after half time to be behind by three was gutting, but we then lost Wilkinson, Ryan & Donovan to injuries during the second half, after goals to Adam & Donovan it looked like we may make a come back. It was not to be as they added one more after 80 mins and then we got a consolation own goal for the game to end 4:5.

11.03.17 vs Wycombe 3:3

Jones (24,39), OG (65)

We came back home and thought it would be a bit of a stroll, in the end we were lucky to get the draw as the opposition were the better team. To come back and tie the game on three occasions would've been a bit gutting for the opposition, but we could never manage to push ourselves into the lead. A very good effort from Kris Jones once again.

18.03.17 at Bradford 2:3

West (67), Jones (90+1)

This game was disappointing, I really don't know how we let Bradford dominate us. They took the lead and never really looked back, the late goal from Jones was a cracker, but we couldn't get into the game and made it three games without a win.

29.03.17 at Rochdale 2:4

McHugh (37), West (46)

And then we went and let ourselves be bossed around by the worst team in the division. A disappointing effort from our boys, we did come from behind twice to tie the game up, but in the end Rochdale blew us off the ball and left us now dangling in 11th in the league. A very disappointing run of games.

01.04.17 at Crawley 5:1

West (10,21,23,45), Simon (70)

And I have no idea what the change was in April, but all of a sudden the boys kicked on and Daniel West had an Epic game as he went wild with a 23 minute hattrick and then a 4th goal inside the first half. We were all over Crawley all game long and just kept on pushing, but the end we won comfortably and this was a chance at the playoffs still. We knew if we could win every remaining game we would be in with a shot.

05.04.17 vs Notts Co 3:1

McHugh (40), Armstrong (45+1), West (pen 58)

We struggled in the first 20 minutes of the game and it showed with Notts scoring in the 19th minute to take the lead, I pushed the team forward and they responded well as the goal seemed to kick the game into action as we had McHugh & Armstrong score in before half time and a Daniel West Penalty finished the deal to make sure we still had a chance at the Playoffs.

08.04.17 vs Scunthorpe 2:1

Horgan (29), West (39)

And again we let the opposition in first, that really was the turning point in this game as Horgan & West both got goals and ensured we had the lead before half time, it was disappointing that West couldn't put together the penalty and make sure of the game, but we still managed to hold on and stay in the Playoff Hunt.

15.04.17 vs Charlton 3:2

Simon (8), McHugh (28), West (pen 89)

This time we started as I wanted to continue and Simon got a goal from a free kick, and then McHugh made us up by two goals. We then went and let Charlton back into the game with four minutes to go and I figured it was going to drop us to a draw and make it very difficult to make the playoffs as it would've put us 7pts down with just 3 games to go. But luckily we got a chance as West was pulled down in the box and stepped up to slot the penalty home for another nice win.

17.04.17 at Plymouth 1:2

McHugh (80)We let them dominate us throughout this game and never really had a chance, and that was the end of the playoff dream, sorry guys we just couldn't quite get it done. Spending some time with our best DC's injured late in the season did hurt.

22.04.17 vs Carlisle 2:1

Ryan (49), James (78)

We went down in the 47th minute, but Ryan stepped up and made sure we were equal straight away and could push forward, Aaron James was on as a substitute and ended up managing to score the winning goal at the end of the game.

29.04.17 at Crewe 2:1

West (69), McHugh (72)

There are 90 possible minutes in a game to score a goal, yet our boys had to score both our goals in a period of just three minutes. McHugh & West scored the goals, and Crewe got one in injury time, but this was a good finish to the season as we completed with a win to finish just outside the playoffs.

The Final League Table

League-1.png

Well a disappointing end to the season as we miss the play-offs, but it really was a good season, I was delighted to be able to compete all season long. Just a few dropped points, and a bit early on that was disappointing. Daniel West was awesome and once he was paired with Kris Jones (Loan) it got even better. The two wingers did very well too and should be definitely in the plans next season, there might be some work needed at the back, and I apologise for being over the wage budget I did try to keep it as low as possible. I think other than the wingers and West decisions are really up to you, I have no attachment to the others.

The Players I was Happy With

Dennis Niemeyer (GK) - 47 Apps, 72 Conc, 9 Clean Sheets - Considering he had conceded 36 goals through the first 15 games it made a huge difference after that as the next 32 games had only 36 goals conceded as well. He also missed a little period with injury, but he looks to be good enough for this level, he just needs some better defenders.

Calum Jardine (DR) - 46 Apps, 0G, 5A, AvgR: 7.06 - The young Full back did brilliantly, the best defender we had, and I think he could help get us promoted.

Ciaran McHugh (AMR) - 48 Apps, 9G, 13A, AvgR: 7.04 - The Right winger was brought in this season to fill a real hole in the team and he stepped up with some very good performances.

Andy Armstrong (AML) - 51 Apps, 8G, 16A, AvgR: 7.04 - A very good season from the left wing as well, our attack force is quite strong.

Kris Jones (AMRL/ST) - 40(6) Apps, 17G, 37A, AvgR: 7.41 - WOW, this loan signing was incredible, early in the season he was just a reserve for the wings, but an injury to James saw me give him a shot alongside West as the second striker and he went crazy, 37 assists on the season is completely incredible. Most Assists in the JPT & League One, with new records in both as well.

Daniel West (ST) - 47 Apps, 36G, 10A, AvgR: 7.26 - Daniel West had another great season, we were a bit disappointing when he had an injury, but he scored a great 36 goals in all competitions. A very good season.

Ah yes, true about noikeee, the next guy on the list after that is Scarman if he's around. Unlucky to not go up LLR, whilst it is nice to see England get one up on ROW, would be nice to see the rivalry continue at the same level. I'm sure whoever is next for ROW can build upon your good season and go up next year.

Ah yes, true about noikeee, the next guy on the list after that is Scarman if he's around. Unlucky to not go up LLR, whilst it is nice to see England get one up on ROW, would be nice to see the rivalry continue at the same level. I'm sure whoever is next for ROW can build upon your good season and go up next year.

Agreed. I think getting out of the Championship will take a while so they will probably be up while we're still there, maybe next season even like the other time we briefly pulled one league ahead.

I actually may have some more time this week than lately, but can't promise I could do the season in time and would struggle to get away from my Ajax save anyway. Sorry I'll pass.

Good season LLR, gutting at the end to just come short of the playoffs, it's particularly annoying given the even better progress of the England guys but can't fault what was an immensely positive season.

5100198zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - Pre-Season

Hope you don't mind me pinching your format for this thread AK22!

Wrap-Up

Team of the Year 2016/17

Overall Best XI

Fans Player of the Year: Shane Dixon

Contracts

I've renewed the contract of Kevin Jackson - he wanted a 50% increase, but I thought that was reasonable given our promotion to the Championship. It's certainly cheaper than any replacement would have been.

Also, the board offered Danny Roberts a new contract. I negotiated for a couple of extra years, so we're now on £93k p/a for the next 5 years.

Our big problem this year is going to be finances. Debts are colossal right now, and although we had an extra £300k p/a for wages, the whole lot was swallowed up by contract rises after the promotion, so transfers were heavily restricted.

Transfers

Fraser Allan - Young centre-back from Dundee, considered by scouts to have potential to be a good Premier League defender. Comes in as best player at the club. I'm planning to push Jeff Allen into defensive midfield and partner Fraser Allan with Joe Byrne in the centre of defence.

Dario Rukavina - I'm really excited about this guy. He's a 19 year old Croatian striker from RNK Split, with fantastic technical skills. Like Allan, he's anticipated to be a good Premier League striker in the future, and £62k p/a is nothing for a player at this level. Shane Dixon will have a real run for his money.

Kyle Williams - Another youngster, this time from Swindon in League 1. He had a great season last year, and we're really lacking talent in the centre of midfield. He can also fill in at AMR if necessary.

I also signed a couple of very low budget (and calibre) defenders to bolster the ranks, Sacha Pugh and Eamonn Roche. In the other direction, I let Marcel Browne leave at the end of his contract after a very poor season in the BSS for Eastleigh, and sent Shaun Evans out on a free transfer to AFC Wimbledon - he hadn't featured since League 2 and wouldn't again this season.

I probably could have been a lot more aggressive here, offering out some of our worse players on free transfers to free up wage budget for new signings, but nobody is on silly wages and the free agents' demands tend to be very high, so I don't think it would have achieved much besides unsettling the squad.

Friendlies

stainestownfixturesfixt.png

Not top quality opposition, but some great matches and the results to match.

Squad

stainestownsquadplayers.png

We could really do with some more talent in CM, but I'm pleased with the squad overall.

Some good signings there, snootyjim :thup:

Totally agree with you re central midfield. We were pretty light there last season, but couldn't find any personnel that would majorly improve what we already had. Smith and Farrell were my first choice, and we're consistently solid if not particularly spectacular, although I would have concerns about them being over run in the Championship.

Archived