Never tried a career and posting it, let's see how it goes......

elbilly

Transfers out

ss2st.png

The usual exit of players at the end of their contracts and those no longer good enough to challenge for the first team.

As mentioned Dudu is out due to his terrible performances in some matches, and big ones, particularly in the ECL semi final when Ocampos must have been invisible to him. Husain & Amaya leave due to the 4 non-EU player rules. They could not be registered to play in the league last season and only got a handful of cup games and appearances from the bench in Europe. They will not be sorely missed and a profit was made on both. Nyom was first choice RB in my first season with Monaco just because we could not find anyone better and he hardly got a sniff of the first team last season.

Steven Pereira has another season out on loan, I hope he has a good season there as he has potential to push for the first team spot next season. Standard are in our ECL group so he may get some European action.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also tried to sign Requelme from my old team Schalke. He was unhappy that there was no European football this season but all the big teams in the EPL and Seria A were after him and he went to Chelsea for $22.5m. The link is of when I brought him to Schalke and he has gotten a fair bit better since.

Requelme now

Lille were brushed aside before the international break. I wanted us to put up a much better fight against Nancy than we did at the end of last season, the first half we did not do that. A free kick at the start of the 2nd half got us ahead but Nancy pulled level but Msakni popped up to score the winner and we held firm for the remainder of the game.

Could we continue our fine start to the league season into our opening ECL match? After 30 minutes and 2 Muratovic goals from 2 Anderson corners it certainly seemed that way! And when Enrique added a superb 3rd in the 2nd half we were looking good for a great start to the campaign.

There's a good feeling around the club as we head into the big match against PSG. Nani hasn't been playing at a very good level so far this season but he puts that aside and scores an early goal to get us under way. You always feel it might be your day when you keeper saves a penalty and Sommer does that to keep us ahead before Barbone puts us 2-0 up going into the break. Ocampos makes it 3 while PSG get a consolation.

We've never had a great run in the league cup and I will be relying on very much a second XI to play this competition. I would certainly hope they can get past Lorient and put their hands up for places in the first team. We lead at half time but let in a soft goal to go to extra time where Niang scores to put us ahead before we collapse at the back again to concede and go to penalties. We go through but not in the manner I would have liked.

We entertain second placed Auxerre, the Anderson-Muratovic combo from a corner once again pays off as we lead at half time and have had more chances to be further ahead. Auxerre do not manager a single shot on target all game and while Muratovic hits the bar from another corner the score line reads the same at half time as it did at full time.

ss2lh.png

While I should not complain about the month the only thing that concerned me was Ocampos netting just the once after his free scoring in August.

We maintained our 100% record in the league

ss3gu.png

This was achieved with the win over PSG

ss1kx.png

Pity you couldn't get Requelme.

For sure, there are loads of good Brazilian CMs hopefully I'll get one of them to come over now I've trimmed my foreigner numbers to 3. But yes Requelme has become awesome, gutted Chelsea will get to enjoy the gem I unearthed.

A return to action in the ECL with Dortmund visiting. Some poor defending opened the scoring and Isco jumped on the loose ball to take advantage. Ocampos extended the advantage with a run through the defence to blast home. Hamel scored a 3rd to give us a lead that Dortmund never looked like putting a dent in.

Toulouse came and were sent packing with no points and no doubt a hammering from their manager as they never once threatened our goal and shipped 3.

After the international break (where Ocampos got his first Argentina goal after 22 caps) we faced a trip to Saint-Etienne. While they have not been at their most impressive this season I always expect a difficult game against them. We took an early lead from an Anderson corner that Ocampos doubled after Msakni's shot came back off the post. Our opponents soon pulled one back after a mistake form our right back. That was it for the scoring and we took another 3 points. Meanwhile 13th place PSG sacked their manager after another defeat.

Standard Liege are certainly the weakest team in the group and we should be looking to take 6 points against them. Simonov got us off to the perfect start. Niang doubled the lead but a late consolation provided a nervy ending. We should not have put ourselves in that position as our dominance should have yielded more goals.

The month ended with a league cup match with Montpelier visiting the principality. Complete domination but it took 100 minutes to score a goal. We play the same team next in the league, a stronger team will be fielded and I hope they are more ruthless.

ss1ph.png

The league is looking just fine. Tours and Dijon are clearly the surprise packages so far

ss3pl.png

ss2gt.png

The first choice XI took to the field as we played Montpelier for the 2nd time this week. They actually managed to be less creative than the 2nd XI and it took an 80th minute penalty to make it 10 wins from 10 in the league.

A win against Standard would mean we'd be pretty much guaranteed a place in the knockout round. A game full of goals saw us through as we tried to let Standard back into the match for every goal we scored. With Valencia beating Dortmund a second time we are through. Our aim now is to beat Valencia at home and secure top spot.

It's sacking season as Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Ajax, Schalke and Saint-Etienne have all shown their managers the door.

Lowly Metz are having a miserable time in their first season back in Ligue 1. We want to add to their misery, and we do as we destroy them.

We played in the league cup, once again with players away on international duty. Sucks. Forgot to check the dates again, maybe I'll learn one of these days. So out went a team of non-international and U19s. Two U19s in central defence were no match for their strikers as they walked through them and with a U19 keeper behind them we were in trouble as we crashed out suffering our first defeat of the season.

After the extreme annoyance of the cup we welcomed back our players from international duty and took our time to break down Lyon wasting chance after chance, ultimately we got the goals we needed. After which Lyon dismissed their manager,

I did not expect to get the same manner of victory over Valencia as when we went to the Mestalla and so it proved as Valencia were a lot more competitive. The visitors equalised from the penalty spot and had another to win it which our keeper saved. We will go through as group winners no matter what happens in the final round.

ss2sj.png

ss3vh.png

ss1vv.png

ss4p.png

Very impressive start, keep it up :thup:

Thanks, I'm very happy with our league form, and Europe has been very pleasing too.

Shocked at how poor PSG have been, can't see them being sucked down, but Metz have drawn level with them on points, I think the beating we gave them had a good effect as they have had some decent results since including a draw away at PSG.

ss2li.png

The first of two tricky away games see us travel to Montbéliard to play Sochaux. We take a 2 goal lead but they pull one back in the 77th minute and we have to hang on to preserve our 100% record. The negative here was losing Simonov for the next 6-7 weeks, though much of that will be absorbed by the winter break.

Next up at Tours we gave away an early goal. The leveler came just after the break and I thought we would go on to win from there but our 100% record came to an end in Touraine.

Msakni got us off to the perfect start as we host Dijon. The games are starting to take their toll on the team and with injuries not helping either we played U19s promising midfielder Guathier who had a hand in the 2nd goal and set up the 3rd. Dijon have certainly overachieved this season but were no match for us here. Gauthier may be required more in the next couple of weeks as we lost Chantome for the remainder of 2019 to injury.

With top spot in the group already secured and more important matches to come a second string team including some U19s were sent out to Germany to play Dortmund. Our back up keeper showed why he should not complain that he's not first choice yet again and Di Maria gave our young left back a torrid time (4.7 rating poor bugger).

A trip to Corsica to play Bastia saw Wallace score for the first time this season with a beauty as we put 4 past them. Enrique picked up a training injury so we now have no fit left back for the next match.

In Seria A 18th placed AC Milan sacked their manager.

Lorient put up stubborn resistance for 65 minutes until a corner finished off by our centre back saw us on our way to victory.

The year came to an end with closest title rivals OM visiting the Stade Louis II. A win would put us 13 points ahead with a game in hand going into the winter break.

We gifted the lead with poor defending of a set piece but that didn't last long as Ocampos levelled before Goretzka put us ahead. We were in control on the score sheet and the pitch but there was always a risk one chance could cost us the 3 points so when Ocampos got his second we were able to breathe easy for the final few minutes.

Very happy with how this looks

ss3a.png

Progress was made in the French cup as we eased past Nice though they managed to keep us out for a fair while there was never any danger the bottom placed team in Ligue 1 would be the victors.

We've still got too many players recovering from injury and selection in a few positions will be stretched as we have a busy few weeks ahead. We get past Troyes without too much trouble.

Anderson decides to get himself sent off but not before he delivers a corner for Barbone to put away. We hang on despite being under siege. Anderson will still find himself short a weeks wages as getting sent off in the first half for two yellows is purely idiotic.

Despite fielding an under strength team against Ligue 2 Cannes in the cup we still expect to progress. We see our way through pretty comfortably.

Top played bottom and we should have had the game tied up and looking comfortable but we failed to put our many chances away and nearly paid for it until a late goal spared our blushes.

Lille have made their way up to 2nd place when we travel North to face them. Chantome's goal from a fine piece of build up play looks to be enough to see us past them until the 92nd minute when they draw level after the ball is given away in midfield. From the kick off Simonov decides to skin 3 players and put the ball in the centre for Ocampos to put it away for the winner.

ss1sq.png

A 21 point lead, loving it.

PSG have had a bit of a recovery, while Tours and Dijon have done well to stay as high as they have.

ss2zf.png

January transfer window

Only one player came in and 2 left.

Markus Brancourt joins us from Leverkusen for a fee of $17m. The scout and our coaches think he will be awesome on the wing. Isco left as he never fitted into how we play and we needed the money to buy Brancourt, he left returning to Spain with Betis for $10m. Adema was given enough chances to impress in goal and every time he failed. He left for Ajax for $4.5m which is good considering he came on free. I hope they can appreciate his attitude better than I did. We did not get in another keeper so hopefully Sommer won't get injured as our U19s keeper isn't too handy. I have got my eye on Sunderlands keeper but they want around $18m for him. He's much better than Sommer so he will be my number 1 summer transfer target unless I find anyone better.

A slight addition to the above, on transfer deadline day Lille came in with a $5.5m bid for Mazzitelli and I decided to sell as he has not progressed as I hoped and Gauthier has taken over him as second choice DM.

Weird...bug on the call up possibility?

A really weird one, will be interesting to see if it comes up again.

Shame, I was looking forward to seeing PSG in the relegation zone after the first ten games :(

Got to admit I would have found it rather amusing if they had been caught up in a relegation scrap.

A hard fought victory over Nancy with thanks to Niang for a superb run cutting back for Msakni to put away. Several key players had been rested with the game at PSG coming in midweek. Ocampos put Chantome through to give us a half time lead at the Parc De Princes. PSG had Heurtaux sent off with 30 minutes remaining and Ocampos made sure of the points.

Tours are the only team that have taken points off us in the league this season. They were as stubborn as we were wasteful for an hour before Ocampos struck. It looked like they might take points off us again when new signing Brancourt gave the ball away and the Tours winger ran through to equalise in the 89th minute. But the combination of Simonov beating players and feeding Ocampos worked again from the kick off as we grabbed a 90th minute winner.

In the French cup against Lavallois we should have had things sown up in 90 minutes but we completely failed to kill off a team that we are expected to beat with ease. We have all the possession and 20 shots to 2 but they take us to penalties. Thankfully we are better in that department too, well at least our keeper is better than theirs as Sommer saves 3 to put us through. We will face Ligue 2 opposition in the next round as Amiens knocked out Lorient.

Auxerre away has 'awesome league run breaker' written all over it. They are third in the league, 28 points behind us at kickoff. We hit the bar twice in the first half as we look for a way through. Early in the second half Chantome sends in a free kick and Ocampos is on the end of it. The lead doesn't last long as Sommer lets a simple back pass through his legs!! Unbelieveable!! I am fuming, what a fool! Sommer is saved a two weeks wages fine as Chantome finishes a well worked move blasting the ball into the bottom corner.

With such a lead in the league and a trip to Naples in midweek we rest many of our key players for the trip to Toulouse. As much as I would love to go the season unbeaten in the league we have such a big lead that we only need 11 points from our next 12 games to secure the title so we can afford to look at the matches before European games as quite unimportant.

Toulouse have us under pressure for most of the game and we create very little and so we are happy to take a point.

The target for the trip to Naples is to get an away goal and not lose by more than 2 goals. Any better than this will be a great result.

The first half is pretty even with chances at a premium until Nani plays a beauty over the centre back into Ocampos's path who finishes with typical composure. We are waiting for a Napoli onslaught in the 2nd half which never materialises as they have just two shots all 2nd half and we come away with a fantastic victory. Unfortunately the win comes at a cost with Wallace out for 3 months. It's unlikely we'll see him again this season. A huge loss as our back up right back is not good enough to play every game.

ss3qp.png

The league could not be looking better as we require just 8 points from 11 games to retain our title and Europe can now have all our focus

ss4d.png

One record set with the victory over PSG

ss1th.png

Another set in beating Tours

ss2.PNG

The run had to come to an end at some point, but I am not happy how it came about. Though we only got 2 of our 17 shots on target Saint-Etienne only managed one of their 4 and it found the net :mad:

A much needed midweek without any football had us refreshed to face Troyes. We take 2 goal lead which was reduced to 1 before Nani restores itd. Again they came back only for Simonov to complete his hat-trick with Ocampos adding a further goal from the spot.

We play Sunday Wednesday Saturday this week which really annoys me as there is no reason we cannot play the first game on a Saturday.

Victory over Lorient would secure the title with 8 games remaining. A pretty much second string outfield X were selected but this had no negative effect on the result going in at half time 4-0 up adding a 5th in injury time.

Things didn't start as planned against Napoli as they took an 11th minute lead and held it until half time. Chantome had a pretty average game up until the time he stepped up to put a free kick from 20 yards in the back of the net. We had plenty of chances to get the win on the night and it looked like it would not come until Barbone got on the end of a late Chantome corner.

OK so someone is seriously taking p*ss as we totally dominate Montpelier and they have f*ck all through the match except one opportunity and score it, absolutely fuming, regardless that we have already won the league this is just stupid.

I'm still angry about the Montpelier result when we play our French Cup match in midweek but decide that we should go for it with a full strength (of what's available) team and rest some players on the weekend before the ECL quarter final. We ease past Ligue 2 Amiens without any problems. We will play OM away in the semis.

Before the Metz game we find out our European opponents... holders Barcelona.

Relegation is almost certain for Metz as they visit the principality. They have a chance to take some points as we will not be playing a strong team. But they were brushed aside. We had two U19s playing the full backs and I was happy with how they performed.

ss5g.png

ss7d.png

It would be to do with switching computers,it happened to me when I transferred my save to a new laptop.

That sucks. At least I know and that's what counts....

That sucks that it doesn't account for all your achievements. Congrats on the Title though :D

Thanks, so glad to have the title sown up so early, shame we crashed our unbeaten record after the two European games, must have been a hangover. We were a very tired team with injuries, knocks and players playing out of position so was just a matter of time really. Can concentrate on Europe now though Barca are going to be mighty tough to get past!

Niang's caps might have been friendlies.

I did wonder if it might be that. Not sure if I can check it, suppose I'm not overly bothered who he plays for as long as he doesn't get injured in a friendly!!

another title in the bag

Thanks, can't believe we went so long unbeaten and seem to have stopped caring now we've secured the title, I want the points record dam it!!

Real Madrid spent $41m on this guy, I would definitely have spent the money on him if I had it. Not sure I could have afforded those wages though. With the exception of finishing he could play pretty much anywhere in our team's attack, would have retrained him to be a left inside forward. May be Real will come knocking one day.

ss5kk.png

Anybody called Ronaldo has to be good! That's the law :D

Having given away an early penalty we gave ourselves an uphill. Ocampos linked well with Nani to pick their way through for a goal but Ocampos was guilty of missing several chances to take the win. The main positive for the 2nd leg is that we've put Messi out of action for 3-4 weeks.

The trip to Lyon was merely a distraction with our focus on the trip to Barcelona. We still dominated the game, how the hell we are on the losing side is a terrible injustice. After taking the lead Enqrique decides to put one in his own net and minutes later can't summon the effort to close down his man who has all the time in the world to square the ball for the striker to net. Enrique seems to be unhappy that I'm furious with him!! See yourself 2 weeks wages worse off then.

In the return leg at the Nou Camp Barca out play us in the first 20 minutes and its virtually all over. Our late goal is scant consolation. We may have saved ourselves an embarrassing time playing Chelsea who are 12 points clear in the EPL and knocked out Inter 8-0 and Liverpool 9-3 setting the record for goals scored in the ECL.

We have also lost Goretzka for the remainder of the season. April is turning out to be a month to forget so far.

I've had enough of not winning in April 2020 so I demand a victory with the visit of Sochaux. We go man down with Gauthier being sent off but not before we have score two and Sochaux fail to take any advantage of the red card.

The only other piece of silverware we can now add is the french cup and a visit to the Stade Velodrome provides us the chance to make the final. It will be difficult as we have no players to play the DM position with Goretzka injured and Gauthier suspended. We edge a poor first half with no goals, OM get a lucky penalty (the French FAs silence at my post match press conference speaks volumes), shortly afterward Nani runs the length of the field only to be denied by the post. We wait until injury time to strike as a patient move ends in Ocampos feeding sub Brancourt to level and send us into extra time which is no less than we deserved on the balance of play. ET passes with little action and so the lottery of penalties to decide a finalist. Both sides hit the woodwork to go to sudden death and Veretout misses to allow OM the chance to score and take their place in the final which they do.

While we wait for our next fixture Barcelona go to Chelsea get a man sent off at 0-0 and win 2-0. Real Madrid beat Juve by the same score at home to set up a likely El Classico ECL final.

Dijon away in the league, we require 5 points from our final 4 fixtures to get the record points total and I fully expect to pick up 3 of them here. We make the perfect start and never look back as we control the game and should probably have scored more.

ss1gx.png

ss2dv.png

I will be playing out the rest of the season, hopefully today, but my playing time is going to be limited due to the birth of my beautiful daughter. I will get in some playing time here and there but FM will be taking a back seat for a fair while.

Anybody called Ronaldo has to be good! That's the law :D

He certainly is living up to the name at the club too. C Ronaldo is looking to leave Madrid and available for free at the end of the season is tempting just to have him, but at 35 and the wages it's probably not worth it.

I'd like to finish off the season with 3 wins and Bastia at home gives us the perfect opportunity to set that in motion. The team duly oblige though a goal in the last ten minutes takes the gloss off a good performance. We set the record for points in a Ligue 1 season with the win.

ss1tg.png

We go to OM next looking to avenge our french cup semi final defeat. OM have won both cups since we last met and I am determined to win back some pride as well as putting a dent in their ECL hopes as the 3 behind us are separated by 3 points with 2 games remaining and only 3 teams go into the ECL.

We are without 4 CMs for the match so Simonov is deployed at the central DLP and this appears to be great decision as he sets up 2 goals for Ocampos in the 1st half. I tell the players not to lose their concentration but this is clearly ignored by Koch who is asleep 30 seconds into the 2nd half as OM pull one back. We tighten up and keep them at bay for the remainder of the game.

A win on the final day of the season will see us pass the 100 point mark and I would consider this a fantastic achievement.

Nantes come to the Stade Louis II with relegation a possibility to they will be fighting for their lives and we will have to put all thoughts of a summer holiday aside to get the victory I desire. We bombard their box but a combination of poor finishing and fine goalkeeping keep us out until the 43rd minute. We saw them off in the 2nd half and the result saw them relegated, with 30 shots to 4 in a must win game for them there can't be many complaints for their demise as Bastia got the victory they needed to escape on the final day.

ss1dn.png

Review of the Season 2019/2020

Well I am delighted that we have continued our domination of Ligue 1 and to get a 3 figure points haul is a great achievement given that we went as far as the quarters in the ECL and semis of the french cup, this stretched the squad and we suffered a disappointing April due to the accumulation of injuries, knocks and fatigue. We had been a run away train up until that point and our performances in the ECL group stages were fantastic for the most part beating Valencia away and Dortmund at home convincingly were particular highlights of our form up until the end of March. It was also a big ask to get past eventual winners Barcelona and going out on penalties away to the next best team in the country in the french cup is nothing to be ashamed of, so I may be should not be as disappointed as I was at the time.

Final League table

ss7wp.png

Not a surprise with our defensive record

ss2jj.png

ss3lp.png

A surprise however is this.... only our keeper and left back from our defence in the best XIs???

ss6wb.png

ss4z.png

Especially when you consider that...

ss1hb.png

And...

ss8b.png

Yes that's right, Cosic sets the record for average rating in Ligue 1 history and 3 of our central defenders in the top 4 average rating and none of them get in team of the year!!

Ocampos of course earned his place

ss5yq.png

Team stats

ss1kk.png

ss2mh.png

The most notable performances came from defence with 20 clean sheets in 51 games. New a fine debut season for Sergio Barbone saw him net 7 times with Muratovic also putting 4 away, most of these came from Anderson corners who had the most assists with 15.

Ocampos was once again top scorer, playing as the lone striker 43 times he gave us 32 goals and 11 assists. Another fine season for Simonov who doubled his assists on last season and got into double figures for goals for the first time. Niang also did well when called upon with 1 goal in every 2 games.

Goretzka again had a fine season in the DM position consistently putting in good performances and adding a couple of goals and 7 assists. Chantome may be getting on in years but he is still a fine player for us, 9 goals and 12 assists in 35 appearances is evidence that we are going to find it hard to replace him.

The coming season

I think I will stay with AS Monaco for the time being as I am really enjoying it here and only something very good would tempt me away at this time. I want to see the new stadium built and a couple of the promising young players through to the first team.

For the coming season my main target is a new goalkeeper. While Sommer was keeper of the year this was mainly down to the centre backs and Goretzka in front of him and there are much better options out there. I have already missed out on 2 targets as Barcelona and Liverpool have proved more attractive options that ourselves.

I also want to bring in at least one central midfielder. Chantome and Anderson are both 32 and despite fine seasons for both once again, their contracts expire at the end of next season and I doubt either will be offered more than another year. A new CM will need at least a season to bed in.

Msakni will depart on a free transfer as he has become a bit part player behind Simonov, he wanted too much money at almost 30 so he goes to Atheltico Madrid. We have a replacement joining on a free transfer from Lille.

Another departure will likely be Koch and a new right back will be sought to compete with Wallace. We will be on the look out for a left back as Enrique is 34 and not our first choice anymore and has a bad attitude. Our 20yo youth team product Steven Guillemin is first choice LB now.

Decent offers for Priesta, Niang & Veretout will all be considered.

Very nice indeed, not a huge stadium but a new one and can probably be expanded. Love that the club have been inspired with the name, why not name after oh I dunno a treble league title winner???

ss9d.png

Don't worry the next stadium will be named after you. That's how it normally is. What are you facilites like ?

Outstanding season :thup:

I was always under the impression Monaco couldn't have a new stadium in FM?

Thanks. Didn't know there was anything like that. I had previously asked for a new stadium/expansion but was told we haven't got the fan base. We sold out our stadium in 17 of our league matches last season so they have changed their opinion on that one.

Archived