FM14: Éder Álvarez Balanta - The Beast

davehanson

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rate determination very highly as an attribute! I know that by itself it does very little in terms of player development, although high determination often indicates a good personality for development. The main reason it is preferable though is that I like my players to have the fight to turn games around. I very rarely sign a player with lower than 13-14 determination, and the amount of late goals and comebacks that I have are incredible!

I rate determination very highly as an attribute! I know that by itself it does very little in terms of player development, although high determination often indicates a good personality for development. The main reason it is preferable though is that I like my players to have the fight to turn games around. I very rarely sign a player with lower than 13-14 determination, and the amount of late goals and comebacks that I have are incredible!

At last, someone who understands what the attribute is actually helpful for and why you might want players with good Determination. :D

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who wrongly think that it directly aids delepoment.

I just sold Balanta as he's now 31 in my save, he averaged a rating of 7.80 roughly over 8+ seasons. He is classed as a "Legendary" Defender while the likes of Marquinhos are still "only" "Worldclass" Best defender in FM for years.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about Balanta so far. I'm currently in my second season at the Saints and despite my seemingly unavoidable second season syndrome, he has formed a solid partnership with Dejan Lovren, and is equally adept with Frickson Erazo alongside him. His first season was solid if ordinary, with an Av. Rating of 7.07.

The amount of young players I have I really do hope they form a good bond. Balanta, Ward-Prowse, Shaw, Balanta, Clyne, Barkley and Mitrovic are all factoring in my first team at the moment, and hopefully for many years to come.

I must admit I have mixed feelings about Balanta so far. I'm currently in my second season at the Saints and despite my seemingly unavoidable second season syndrome, he has formed a solid partnership with Dejan Lovren, and is equally adept with Frickson Erazo alongside him. His first season was solid if ordinary, with an Av. Rating of 7.07.

The amount of young players I have I really do hope they form a good bond. Balanta, Ward-Prowse, Shaw, Balanta, Clyne, Barkley and Mitrovic are all factoring in my first team at the moment, and hopefully for many years to come.

You cloned him?! :p

CECB9604EBFF470D8A6CF28C95EA27E08724FBE9

Just as good on this save as my Southampton save (see earlier in the thread). What a player :D

Just done a direct comparison and Southampton Balanta is marginally better, it turns out. Few extra attributes here and there in the important parts. Still, brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

He's Resolute which I think is a really good personality to have (I could be wrong, not entirely clued up on personalities, just know vaguely what is good to have and what is not), so maybe he would have. When my go-to coach for weak foot training (must've used him over 20 times in 4 years) said no I tried my next best (usually used for youths) and he said it was unlikely, so I thought there was no point.

Would've been great to get him both footed but ah well. He's still great for me without being two-footed. Most valuable player at £26M and he's been having a storming season, averaging over 7.60 in the PL and is the highest rated player in the PL.

Until this season he had been in the shadow of the wonderful Tin Jedvaj, but Balanta's finally hit form so now I've got two incredible CBs :D

Well played on getting him both footed :thup:

I tried (maybe too late (second season)) and my coaches reckoned he was incapable of doing that, so I didn't even try :(

Although I don't think a CB needs to be good with both feet tbh.

I'm gonna get him as two-footed so he can play on the right and Doria on the left :thup:

Well played on getting him both footed :thup:

I tried (maybe too late (second season)) and my coaches reckoned he was incapable of doing that, so I didn't even try :(

Although I don't think a CB needs to be good with both feet tbh.

It's funny - I always prefer my 'keeper and defenders to be two-footed more than any other position, purely to make it easier for them to get out of tight situations.

It drives me crazy when my coaches keep telling me to encourage my 'keeper to avoid using his weaker foot. All 'keepers should practice using both feet daily.

• 4 months later...

He's been one of the stand-out players for me in my Southampton save. Bought him in August 2013 for £7m and after 102(still got at least 9, possibly up to 12 games of my third season left) games has an average rating of 7.15 despite us leaking goals everywhere. Just agreed to sell him to Bayern for £45m(20 upfront, 25 over 48 months) with 20% of any future sales. I would've preferred not to sell him but for money like this (I'm projected to make a £35m loss this season so the money should help offset that) and my aim of achieving a 100% home-grown first team, I unfortunately for me accepted the offer.

• 1 month later...

I have signed him on my Everton and Chelsea saves. He was better in the Everton save but that's because he got more game time. On the Chelsea one I have been rotating him with David Luiz (going to be sold at end of the third season), Terry (going to be released end of third), Mangala and Cahill so he is not playing as much as with Everton. Once Terry, Luiz and probably Cahill have gone he and Mangala will be the first choice with an Argentinian newgen the back-up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
He's been one of the stand-out players for me in my Southampton save. Bought him in August 2013 for £7m and after 102(still got at least 9, possibly up to 12 games of my third season left) games has an average rating of 7.15 despite us leaking goals everywhere. Just agreed to sell him to Bayern for £45m(20 upfront, 25 over 48 months) with 20% of any future sales. I would've preferred not to sell him but for money like this (I'm projected to make a £35m loss this season so the money should help offset that) and my aim of achieving a 100% home-grown first team, I unfortunately for me accepted the offer.

I know this is old now, but I actually prefer Caulker instead of Balanta

that said though, getting 45m for him (after he threw a hissy fit about the CL... and replacing with a 10m Caulker) was great business - I won the CL the following season just to spite him :p

• 4 weeks later...

Balanta has been a beast for me in the defence partnering Varane for my Chelsea save. He has also been brilliant on the left hand side of defence, where he plays as a supporting player and adds balance to my team. Definitely a great buy!

• 3 weeks later...

His only weakness is his "important matches" attribute and maybe pressure. Haven't checked FM15 but in the previous version despite all the godlike attributes he would underperform on big games because of hidden personality info.

Imo he is only good after solid tutoring.

Archived