The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

somebody rates the liverpool/Man Utd rivalry on the same level as boca/river and celtic/rangers?

icon_biggrin.gif

That man really is sad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gregg so utterly cluess :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin such a nasty little gobsh*te :*(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Why do they have to do this to us?

Just as we all come to accept the new reality we have him dangled in front of us again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not good for the ticker James?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

or our squad has been horrendously depleted for the opening month or two, I reckon I can cope.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw crap. icon_frown.gif

No no Ali, don't worry about it. Everything's fine. Carrick came through the weekend in one piece and everything...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

What Nick?? Are you demented or deliberately that way?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its not his fault, he was born that way icon_frown.gif

My provisional squad:

Cech, Terry, Ferdinand, Konchesky, Queudrue, Convey, Ronaldo, Cahill, Barton, Rooney, McBride. Subs are Kenny, One Size Fitz Halls, Mokoena and Kevin 'maybe I'll take a dive for da craic like' Doyle.

Excuse the fact I have Barton in there - I'll probably swap him soon.

How do I change formation?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I take it I will be meeting your parents before the match to get my ticket James07? (should that be 2 question marks?)

If so I can get Nick to introduce me to them if he turns up before kick off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You haven't met them before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw his dad at Cardiff last year for about 5 minutes I think. I wasn't exactly feeling well that day though so I don't remember what he looked like icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

COME ONE MATTS BIRTHDAY BEING GOOD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he did sign (which he won't), it should be declared a national holiday, Rooney and Hargreaves icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al3:

To all in Australia

Thursday 14 September on SBS

Utd Vs Celtic

4:30am (start)

United to win 2-0. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>\o/ I was thinking I'd have to endure ESPN coverage if anything

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Keith it's not hard to find a pub showing it.

I don't even know why you aren't coming seeing as you have a season ticket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is with in walking distanvce as i cannae be arsed to get a cab and its not good to drink and drive.

As for not going Mart wanted it, he did offer to get another though. I never left work till near 4pm any way so i'd of had to drive down which i couldn't be arsed with.

Driving down for Arsenal too and shockingly martin is paying for the cinema tickets saturday night

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not blamed anyone for the goal today, ball-to-hand on Paddy I thought, Edwin could maybe have done better but it'd be harsh to blame him for that. I've given bookings to O'Shea and Ferdinand, can't remember any others, please correct me if I've forgotten. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bookings are right. The only person i felt that could be in any way blamed for the goal today was, bizarrely, Scholes. I felt he shouldn't have jumped when charging down the free kick as it went under him, but it would be ridiculously harsh to call him at fault for the goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy Gray was saying that Scholes would have been disappointed not to have got in the way of it too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that was **** wasn't it? that's what happens when you play the 433/451 , tons of possesion in first half and nothing to show for it, in second half nowhere near the same confidence once Celtic got tighter in the middle of the park. Saha was absolutely useless tonight, he just didn't look the same player as two weeks ago. Giggs had a good first 45 and then was **** in second half, Ronaldo was the exact opposite and got better as the game went on. Another thing when are we going to get better at set pieces? Think we had about 6/7 corners tonight and 3/4 freekicks in dangerous area's and I dont think we troubled their keeper once.

MoM: Carrick - The game suited him and tried to break up the Celtic play (more so in the 2nd half).

2nd: Rooney - Difficult game for Wayne to get into but showed some flashes of brilliance and on another day would of created one or two goals.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just browsing the FC site and they don't half sell alot of *****, I mean selling pictures of matchday ffs. What are the FC fans thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cant say Im delighted about it, but at least all profits are ploughed back into the club, all merchandise made basically comes from requests, so most of the tat is down to the idiots among the support who want an FC Utd football/mug/mousemat etc. not like your forced to buy it though and dont think its near the stage of a Rhodri Giggs bedspread yet icon_biggrin.gif

ahaha the stretching, forgot about that icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was when i said someone needs to sneak up behind him and kick him up the arse

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Darren Ferguson's job interview, such as it was, lasted getting on for an hour and a half - on the telephone. In fact he had more questions to ask of Peterborough United's chairman Darragh MacAnthony than he had to answer, but in the end just two things convinced him that now was the time to follow his famous father into management.

The first was the 30-year-old overseas property millionaire's obvious ambition, together with his readiness to take on board Ferguson's insistence on the need to build from the bottom up. The second was that not once in the entire conversation was the famous father mentioned.

It is not that Ferguson is not prepared to talk about Sir Alex, but he did want to be certain MacAnthony's confidence was in him as an individual. "If he'd brought up my father there would have been a problem," he said after training at London Road yesterday. "The bottom line is it's me who succeeds or fails here, so if they want me, great, but I do it my way."

There is no undue emphasis on the "my". When your father is such an obviously valuable source of advice and you get on with each other, it would be daft not to take advantage of the relationship. So yes, he says equably, he's spoken to his dad a number of times recently. But he's also consulted other managers, younger men including Adrian Boothroyd, David Moyes and Colin Calderwood.

"I think any player making the transition to management should consult widely, not least because the game has changed," Ferguson said. "What's so exciting about Peterborough [is that] the club has no structure, no reserve team, no youth team, there are problems with the training facilities and they've lost seven games in a row, but after all that they're still only three points off the play-offs. The potential is staggering, and I have to say I've been given a great opportunity."

He began preparing for management several years ago at Wrexham, the club he joined in 1999. As a trainee at Manchester United he had made 22 starts for the first team but had never done enough to overcome the supporters' suspicions of nepotism and had been sold to Wolves for £250,000. Five years later he moved to Wales, and at 34 he has approaching 500 league games under his belt.

Overlooked for the manager's job at Wrexham when Denis Smith was sacked this month, Ferguson has taken the plunge at Peterborough, though he has yet to decide whether he will be player-manager in more than name. Given that he admits to having been taken aback by the work involved off the training field, perhaps not, but it may depend on how quickly he and his assistant Kevin Russell, also from Wrexham, can change United's fortunes.

"Watching the game last week [a 3-0 defeat at home to Stockport] the players looked short on confidence and belief. What we've tried to do is give them a bit more belief, change the mentality. I expect to see them training with the intensity with which they play, and what I've seen has been encouraging."

Having likened his temperament to his father's, Ferguson is quick to reassure players fearing a blast from the hairdryer. "I don't think I'll be throwing teacups, but then I think that's all a bit of a myth, to be honest. Dad's had his tantrums, or whatever you want to call them, but there's managers out there 20 times worse. Ask those who've played for him - the respect came because he knows how to treat people. Look how many have become managers in their own right, and successful managers at that.

"There are times when you need to let players know you're unhappy, but to do that with authority doesn't mean you can't speak normally."

The fact that Ferguson does not remember ever falling out with his father tends to support this contention but, as he says, his dad was not around very much. "He was always away working; my mother had the burden of all that. But all the important decisions I've taken were left to me, whether it was starting at United, moving to Wolves or whatever. He'd offer his opinion but no more. There were times I was at Wrexham and could have left, and he's said maybe that would be the better option, but I stayed loyal because it's a good club."

"Put it this way, I'm not going to be getting on the phone and saying, 'What'll I do?' Because it's my career, and it always has been."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I want two tickets for watford next to each other now :@ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mug Mart and Keith. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jonny has mine iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, mug him then.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

bum. didn't calculate the percentage stuff. oh well, no-one reads it anyway blaters </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not giving O'Shea the assist for Gabby's opener? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm, not sure. i'll go with the general consensus, but from memory the ball kinda ricocheted around and broke to Gaby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well JOS went past his man, slid it into the area towards our players, Richardson conspired to miss it when put under pressure, went under him and the defender marking him, came to Gabby on the edge, the player of the round fecks up and goal.

I'd give it to him if only because it had shades of "when johnny goes marching down the wing...", but if others disagree fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...

love the pessimism. fact is, united have a head of steam, the best player in the world and the fear of their opponents.

as soon as all this treble talk starts, the players start to believe it and it inevitably follows. i'll be amazed if it doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember us selling out before the final group got a chance to buy tickets and they all moaned. John Gregory told the local paper the next day that they should have bothered to turn up for the games against smaller teams (the A, B, C and D categories had games against teams like United, Liverpool and Arsenal worth less points) and then they've had got tickets.

JGifb

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

wp on winning the title </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on 5th November, in this very thread

hate to say I told you so </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll take the thanks when its done.

We have a Manchester Derby to come at City, You at the Bridge and then West Ham who might well need to win to stay up. 3 tricky games despite it looking done and dusted.

• 1 month later...

Constant icon_biggrin.gif You make it sound like I am ringing up & breathing heavily down the phone or something.

I refuse to feel bad. Maybe it's because I am a heartless bastard or maybe it's because you are all being a bunch of ****ing pansies icon14.gif

Archived