The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a factor, but I'd have thought the game (just as happens irl) would manafacture rivalries between title contenders, so that list should purely be on genuine rivalries, in which case Arsenal should be on about 5 and Chelsea nowhere to be seen.

Liverpool 21 (apparently 21 means players are never transferred between clubs)

Citeh 20

Leeds 18

No-one else above a ten, and certainly no place for Blackburn, Newcastle and West ****ing Ham on the list icon_biggrin.gif

A bit off topic, but anything with Cantona in ifb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Former Manchester United favourite Eric Cantona has bucked the general trend amongst pundits by backing England to go all the way in Germany.

Sven Goran Eriksson's side have failed to impress, despite topping Group B, and are under pressure to click into gear against Ecuador in the knockout stages on Sunday.

The Stuttgart showdown provides The Three Lions with a chance to show their bite and Frenchman Cantona, one of the greatest players ever to grace The Premiership, surprisingly told Sky Sports News that he expects the team to continue to progress in the tournament.

"I'm really liking England from the beginning," he said.

"I like the manager. I like all the players.

"I see something very positive between the players.

"The team plays passionately because it's got experience now - wonderful players with experience.

"I think they have a very, very good chance to win this World Cup."

The nation is hoping for a much improved display against Ecuador after the defensive concerns from the draw with Sweden, and Cantona believes Eriksson's team will show their undoubted class. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not arguing - just going on what it says under his name:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">foobR

Yellow Card - Foul Language - exp 08/09/06 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Whats happened to all the wall to wall Fletcher love? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My part of the wall never wavered for a second.

Mon the Fletch! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Someone on the Sanctuary is trying to convince me Richardson is a better left-back than Gaby. Why am I responding? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've effectively paid money to talk to that halfwit as well icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

God we're going to get stuffed this season... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on a friendly where we are missing 9 of our starting XI? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not watched the match. I'm just making a general observation / prediction.

I'm adopting Mika's outlook. It's the only way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

'Course, it don't help when every bugger here bites on every damn word they post. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the best bit icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rdysn5:

Veron was considred one of the best midfielders on the continent when he was signed. What makes you think he'd have turned out better if he was signed at another time, Jimlad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just heading out so if you want the long answer later (which you probably won't) let me know but the short version is that our midfield was...

Beckham - Keane - Scholes - Giggs

...the primary reason for why despite his talents investing in Veron at that time wasn't needed. Especially when Fergie decided to allow Stam to go and replace him with Blanc later that summer.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

9/1/94, FA Cup at Bramhall Lane for the first instance i think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they started at Anfield the Tuesday before then.

They also appeared together on the same pitch at Bramall Lane on the 7th December when Keano replaced McClair on the 72nd minute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was only doing starts. And according to the Stretfordend website, McClair started the Liverpool game, Hughes didn't play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah yeah, just seen that icon_frown.gif Was checking to see if it was the right combination in midfield and forgot to check the forward line icon_frown.gif

The first league start for that XI was the week after at Spurs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmonzo:

How do I change formation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the yellow boxes next to the players names? Clicking it removes the player from the XI, then clicking the green one next to the benched players puts them on, so take a striker off, put a defender on or whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no green boxes on mine for some reason. icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Umney:

KJH to sign in January? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More chance of Colin Kazim Richards than young Klaas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

in short, yes, he has absolutely no footballing brain whatsoever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Football brain? Richardson doesn't seem to have any type of brain at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I just don't have enough faith in him getting it right often enough yet. With his technique I guess it is always going to be miles over or spot on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly

and lets face it its not as if we've ever (or at least for a long while) been the most prolific from set pieces.

Ronaldo isnt doing a half bad job with these swerving in 3 directions at once shots

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay then, I'm not the only one seeing that the debt burden has gone up markedly right? I'm not misreading this badly due to the time of night? And is it me or is the article underselling how speculative their business plan is?

Okay I'm no economist but I don't see the collective deal for the Premiership punching as high as they think by 2012 and I don't see the repayments being covered by the massive ticket price rises being suggested.

The only way I see them managing anything like that is by trying to break away from the collective TV rights deal and grabbing at a mega-deal like Real, Barca, Milan et al. have that ****es on everyone elses fire & selling/leasing back the ground including a naming rights deal.

And even then I'm sceptical that they'll get anywhere near enough to cover their repayments. I mean for gods sake the debt is going to rise by just under £80 million in the next 6 years, so that surely means that they aren't even going to be making the minimum repayments over that time period surely?

Can someone answer these questions:

When the Glazers moved their personal debt over to the club, did they get their own investment in the takeover back then? Or are they still waiting for a return through Red Football?

Goddamn it that is depressing reading at this time of night...

• 2 weeks later...

okay in honesty, I'm fairly sure the reason he keeps JOS on such as last week vs Wigan, is the added 'height' factor.. Wigan's best chance by far was getting something from a set piece and i guess Fergie thought JOS was better in that situation than Fletch

however this doesnt even get close to balancing out his utter crapness compared to Fletcher in every other area of the game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone here, but has it been that long since we were in a title race that people have forgotten how they go? There'll be twists, turns and dropped points a plenty between now and the end of the season, for both sides. And i can't believe there's ever been a title race that's been decided by a single result in january.

We can win at WHL and lose the title, and lose there and win it. Anyone putting that much significance on it should go and work for Sky's overhype department.

And i'm also aware that Nick may be fishing, but the general mood has been to swing between Mika thinking we'll be lucky to avoid relegation, to Scatter thinking we've done the treble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, yeah.

I endured, along with many others, 26 years of nothing but an FA Cup or two.

The worst we've ever finished in the Prem ? Third, I believe. If we do that again, I won't be too disappointed, tbh. Of course, I'd rather we did actually lift our trophy again, though.

I've not given up any hope of doing just that. Unlike some, it would seem.

As for Doubles/Trebles, we'll see, eh ? icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jonny is not going to like this but:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "I've seen the replay and Paul has lifted his hand which is something you can't do," Sir Alex told MUTV.

Although Scholes made no contact with Alonso, the Boss concedes that Atkinson was left with little alternative.

"He's not touched him but I think the referee probably got it right in terms of intent," he said. "You can't argue with the decision." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Scholes did throw a punch it's the worst punch I have ever seen. I still stand by my original view on the incident until I see Scholes say otherwise. It's just out of character for him to throw a punch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

The Willows is next to Salford Rugby club no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Willows is salford rugby club no?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

and yeah, i'd much rather be home first. keep it tight, don't concede any away goals and then pick them off on the counter in the second leg. if we played as we should play that'd be even more the case. as it is, with our current style, i can almost picture 0-0 in Rome and then them picking us off as we desperately try to manafacture a goal using our brilliant 451 at OT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really think we were lucky to avoid that against Lille. A 0-0 looked far more on the cards, especially given the nature of the goal we did score. Until that went in, i was really feeling it was going to be 0-0 away, score draw at home, which would be typical of us in europe over the years.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">just not good enough, again. won't be overly arsed if we go on and win the league (and the cup as well ideally), as long as we genuinely do learn for next year. and strengthen, it's clear we're just not good enough on this stage in several areas and as much as Rooney/Ronaldo disappointed tonight, you can't expect them to dig you out of a hole when your senior players are massively below par. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh please, they are senior players ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh shut up Keyser, what were the likes of Keane, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Cantona, Schmeichel, Robson doing at the age of 21/22, not playing in champions league semi-finals ffs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sharing 3rd place are reserve team skipper Kieran Lee, whose fine form saw him get his first team chance at Stamford Bridge, and Jonny Evans, full Northern Ireland international and rock at the heart of the second tier's top team.

2nd place goes to the little fella who has practically single-handedly kept Parma in Serie A, Giuseppe Rossi

and so onto the winner. if you listen to some he had an absolute shocker of a season, but 23 goals and some fine late-season performances were enough to nab him this award - WAYNE ROONEY

Archived