The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

ha, jokes aside, it's a frigging joke, soon they'll have a Away season ticket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

with refunds for all the games we're banned from icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

whens the conclusions of the italy scandal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monday apparently

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Why does your email address involve nistelrooy, goon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it doesnt, it involes nistlerooy...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Should cheer you lot upicon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look would the papers stop going on about how its all Glaziers fault. They say you have no money to spend but apparently (according to the article itself) you are spending nearly £20m on Carrick and yet another keeper. FFS icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but that's most likely to be funded by the departure of RvN and Ronaldo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

We're just two players short </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we hell icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll elaborate on that, I think we're possibly two CM's, a striker and a winger away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is Ronaldo in that equation, staying or going?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Park is an extremely strong bench player.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how many games has he improved from the bench? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok extremely is maybe quite strong...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

Oh god that would rule, Javier, COME ONE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it took you 0.0000001 seconds to leap off the hargs bandwagon i see icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've wanted Javier for ages ffs icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you abandoned the javier bandwagon if favour of hargs. icon_frown.gif

i stayed true. i don't want hargreaves. at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus wept, can't sell out for Arsenal

Manchester United v Arsenal, Sunday 17 September, kick off 4pm

A small number of tickets have become available for this match and they are available to One United Members only by calling 0870 442 1999. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAS YAS YAS \o/

TO a shambles. It's the same for every 'sold out' game.

Did you not spot the empty seats last night?

Had two next to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

Just worried that after Chelsea's "poor" start, they're still only a point behind us!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

umm... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what?

first time in four seasons you've not won all four opening games or something lik that - hence the " " around the word poor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More the fact that we're not a point behind you icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Los Angeles that week, trying to find somewhere showing the game that I could get into (was only 20 at the time) was impossible, so ended up trying to tune in to World Service but failed miserably, so spent the day by the hotel pool and got the news later in the evening through ESPN.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure it has been mentioned already but Foobs has been permanently banned from OTF due to FM piracy.

His forum seemed to have a mole, namely serpico.

TX 2000 and dfence the two others affected in the bust while Arjen Robben somehow got off scot free

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

are we on game of the day on sky sports? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't they show all the game on Sky ?

Arsenal are home to CSKA that day as well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

why are you boycotting my thread ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stepping on MY territory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

look man, we're both in the world crap. you have no territory anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

We shouldn't forget that Silvestre was brought on for Carrick. 3-0 up or not, Silvestre shouldn't be the first sub in for a midfielder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, but it wasn't like it was a straight swap. i think paddy is considered as a backup on the left wing, so it was fair enough.

admittedly baffled that smithy wasn't on the bench today.

• 3 weeks later...

It did aye mate but at least it doesn't start straight from kick off, if we only had a few songs, I could live with it but we have a fantastic reportoire of songs and it's a shame that they either get sung at 500 miles an hour or don't get sung

• 4 weeks later...

Take away Ronaldo's goals (most of which are tap ins or freekicks) and Pennant is the more effective winger.

ga ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

ynmiu

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

And Larsson suprised me with how fast and sharp he was, i didnt think hed still have that kind of speed at his age. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a medical miracle tbh. Two serious leg breaks, 35 years old, and still as sharp as ever.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

slipping some Park hate in there icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that not a fair assessment, given that the majority of chances fell to him yesterday, and i don't think there was one that even troubled the keeper? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo had more, and better chances though, it happens. Park still played well for me.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

And then take the lead. Advantage the boys. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a bloody interesting game.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kidkovacevic:

Carrick is easily the equal of Mascherano as a defensive midfielder, but he does much more of interceptions and clever positioning than hollywood tackles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another lad who's watched mascherano all of 5 times. :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

My mum of all people has been calling our dog (Scholesy) Kaka this morning icon_mad.gif Die woman! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

oh crap, just been to get my phone from the postman, got 2 parcels waiting for me, locked up, can't get them till monday, guess what they are?

cup final tickets

ticket for jonny for tomorrow

tried ringing the concierge and no joy :*(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You finished your football career 10 years ago, at only 30. Do you feel any nostalgia for the time when you were playing?

It happens, yes. Nostalgia can be a pleasant feeling. Childhood memories, music, a smell can make us nostalgic. In football it is more an overall ambience than a game or a special stadium. The game, the dressing room, the field . . . When I went back on the pitch at Old Trafford for [the French television station] Canal+, it reminded me of memorable moments that I cannot live any more. However, we must not talk about that forever. There are other things in life.

What memories do you have of your last official game, on May 11, 1997?

It was against West Ham. I had swapped my jersey with a guy. I heard that he sold it at an auction, probably for a charity. (He smiles.)

What did you feel when you left the field?

Nothing. Because I wanted to quit. I had had enough. And I was telling myself that I could come back if I wanted. I thought, ‘You are young. You train two months and you are back’. I kept on thinking that for a long time. Then, six months ago, I realised that even if I trained for two months, it would not be enough.

Why had you had enough of the game?

I did not have the flame any more. Football was my life, my childhood passion. When the flame disappears, why continue? To go to the Middle East for €300 billion? I was not interested in that.

Did the fact you were not selected any more for the French national team hasten your decision?

With the World Cup coming up in 1998, I certainly would not have stopped in 1997. If we had won the European Cup with Manchester that year, I probably would not have quit either.

Did you ever think of staying in football, becoming a coach, an agent or a TV commentator?

For a long time, thinking I could come back as a player helped me. So today I think I can come back as a coach. I know the doors are still open. Therefore I will never come back. If they were closed, it would probably make me want to break them down.

When the flame was blown out, was it because of the game or the environment?

The environment contributed a lot. Manchester was a lot about merchandising. Sometimes they need you to do a tape, give interviews, write books, take pictures . . . To avoid my image and name being used all over the place, I signed precise contracts with the club. I gave them the exclusivity on my pictures. However, they did not respect it. I went to see [sir Alex] Ferguson, then the chairman [Martin Edwards] to talk about it. I told them: beware, things are happening.

One morning before a game, on my way to eat breakfast, I saw myself on the front page of a paper. Some people do not care being on a tabloid’s front page. They are even proud of it. Well, it destroys me, even if I am on my way to play, it becomes more important than the game. I live it as treason. So on the day I said I was quitting, I told the club: “Okay, I quit, but you should know that I am still suing the merchandising.â€

Did you go to court?

Of course. And I won.

You did not want to become a product?

No. I asked them to take everything away. And it is gone now.

If you played today, it would be more difficult, wouldn’t it?

The problem in Britain is that we cannot control anything. The country is great for many things, but is really ugly concerning everything linked to image, the press. It is not that it is hard to bear. I did it for five years, but it is sick.

When you quit, did you have a precise idea of what you would be doing 10 years later?

I wanted to become an actor. However, I was not sure about anything. Ten years later, it makes me proud to be able to do films.

What room do you leave for football in your life today?

None. The only room is in my head and memories.

What was the last game you went to see?

It was last year at the Nou Camp for Barcelona v Valencia.

And on television?

(He thinks for a while.) I remember seeing Roma against Lyon for the Champions League. But I do not like to watch games because it makes me want to play. And I do not want to depend on that feeling.

What do you think of Manchester United now?

There is the football Manchester and the merchandising Manchester. These two worlds coexist, but for me Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeuâ€, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it.

What do you think about your successor in the legendary No 7 shirt, Cristiano Ronaldo. Is he worthy of it?

Last season he did not score any goals. We had the impression he did not care. Something was missing. Now he scores and he is a new player. World class. One of the 10 best players on the planet. In modern football, playing as a team is very important, but we always need that kind of player who is going to strike out, to provoke.

Like Ronaldinho at Barcelona?

Exactly. If the opposition can control your tactics, you need to be able to count on one individual who can make the difference.

Is Ronaldo a different No 7 from the one you were?

Yes and no. For me, it was important to score, but I did not look for it at all costs. If I had a 51% chance to score, I would give it a go. If the team had a 51% chance to score, I would pass the ball. Because it is a pleasure to pass a good ball, it is like a gift. On that, Ronaldo and I are not very different. But we are different in the style. He carries more the ball.

What was the move you liked the most?

I loved putting the ball where nobody expected it, on the condition that it was efficient. Everybody expects you to pass the ball to your left, and you do it on your right. The ball is in the running trajectory of the player, the game becomes more fluid and surprising. When you know how to do that, you have 10 times more opportunities because the players around you know you can throw the ball anywhere at any moment. So they spread out on the field.

Did you have favourite teammates to pass the ball to?

No. There are players who are better than others at owning the space. Mark Hughes liked to receive the ball with his back to the goal and put it back in. You could mix different techniques in small spaces. Guys like [Ryan] Giggs or [Andrei] Kanchelskis loved to own all the space. United’s tactic was: we rely on Mark Hughes. I get the ball and, before I even receive it, the two others go.

What do you retain from your experience in Manchester? For example, do you take inspiration from Ferguson’s speeches when you are coaching your beach football team?

Ferguson did not really speak about our style in his speeches. Our game tactic was well-honed, we did not have to adapt to the opposition. He spoke more about the details. If the goalkeeper did not like low balls, on what side a defender would get in trouble . . . But most of all, he always ended saying: “And now enjoy the game. Have fun.†It is a brilliant speech because you have worked all week and everything is here for you to enjoy. You have fun when you have worked well.

Have you ever heard a speech like that in a French dressing room?

In France you get either, “Come on, let’s go!†(he hits the back of his right hand with the left). Let’s go, but where? How? Or you get the presidents saying: “You have to wet your shirt [with sweat].†A little simplistic, don’t you think? You do not go to war on a field. Or you get precise speeches: “Act like this, not like that . . .†It makes you forget the notion of pleasure. I think it is still the case today.

More calculation than pleasure?

In France you defend more than elsewhere. If you play with five offensive players, the other team will have cold feet and put out seven defenders. Otherwise, there are at least six defenders. Even if on the other side there is just one attacker. Why not then put five offensive players? The best defence can be the attack. We do not see that in the French championship.

Did it change you when you turned 40? Are you still the “French enfant terrible�

Is that how I was called? I do not think I changed a lot. I would still be able to jump on a guy in the stands.

You look calmer.

I still occasionally blow a fuse. Even if I have learnt to know myself better with time. My ultimate goal is to be totally zen. I have always wanted that.

You were at the final of the World Cup. What did you think of Zinedine Zidane’s headbutt?

I did not see it. I was in the stadium with my son. He called a friend who told him. What Zidane did means many things. He goes to a World Cup final as if he was playing outside his building when he was a kid. He takes his penalty with a flick, which is wilder for me than butting [Marco] Materazzi. For him, football is all about the pleasure of playing. He did not plan it. But hold on . . . I do not condone headbutting.

Wouldn’t it have been better to win the World Cup?

You do not like it when one of your players is sent off. But Zidane won a World Cup, a European Championship and led us to the final in 2006. We should not forget that. I would rather say we lost because of [the coach, Raymond] Domenech. From the beginning of the second half the Italians refused to attack. He should have put on an attacker. When you see Thierry Henry centring the ball and there is no one to get it, what is the point of having four defenders and two central defenders? It is a tactical mistake, worse than Zidane’s butt. We cannot take all the good and refuse the rest. An artist of that level is weak and strong at the same time.

A player like Michel Platini did not need those excesses. He was still a brilliant player.

I do not think Platini would have had the craziness to take the penalty Zidane took in a World Cup final.

So, in the big debate on who between the two is the greatest French football player, you would vote for Zidane?

No, it is me. (He smiles.) But I feel closer to Zidane as a player.

Do you recognise yourself in him? You also had a dark side.

I am not defending myself by defending others. But I can understand since I have lived the same kind of situations.

How did you feel after you karate-kicked the spectator at Crystal Palace? Did you feel guilty?

The next morning I did not really analyse the situation. I did not know what happened or what was going to happen. I was not really aware of things. Of course I was not proud of myself. We are just men, with a fragile side. It does not matter if a man suffers. It does not matter if a man cries. That highly strung sensibility might enable you to move mountains later.

Did you need to create these breaks to go forward?

When the hooligan called me “a French son of a bitch†. . . I had heard it 50 billion times before. However, on that day I did not react as I used to. Why? I never found any answer to that.

How do you explain that your kick was severely judged in France, whereas Zidane was widely forgiven for his butt?

It all depends on what you have given to people and where. I mostly gave to Manchester, so the people there forgave me, like the French forgave Zidane.

What would you want people to say about Eric Cantona the football player in 50 years?

I lived football as it is supposed to be lived. Like a game you have to play honestly. The first thing is to work hard, without losing the notion of pleasure. I hope that is what people will retain from me. With my dark sides as well.

We worried about you at one point. We worried this dark side would take you into the abyss, like other great players such as Diego Maradona or George Best.

Maradona, Best lived for and by football. The day they retired, they had nothing but their memories. I have the chance to express myself somewhere else. I have other passions, other interests. I do not only live in the memory of what I have been.

This article first appeared in L’Equipe’s special tribute to Eric Cantona. Translation by Camille Février

Red with a bit of devil: the career of Cantona

- After a nomadic career in France involving six clubs in eight years, Eric Cantona began his career in England when he made a surprise move to Leeds United in 1992 - and helped the Yorkshire club to the title

- He then signed for Manchester United that autumn for £1.2m, one of football’s greatest bargains

- During his five years at Old Trafford, Cantona won four Premiership winners’ medals and the FA Cup twice, scoring the winner in the 1996 final against Liverpool

- The only season he finished without a medal was in 1994-95, during much of which he was suspended after his most infamous act - a karate kick at a Crystal Palace supporter who taunted him as he left the field afer being sent off

- True to form, the eccentric Cantona told a press conference afterwards: ‘When the seagulls follow the trawler, it’s because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea’

- He was sentenced to 120 hours’ community service

- After being persuaded to carry on playing he led United to yet another title in 1996-97 before retiring abruptly aged just 30. His final match for United was against West Ham on May 11, 1997

- He has since become an actor in French films and captain of the French beach football team

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived