The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Went around *ahem* redcafe earlier. It's pure fiction. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You Taz wannabe icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

intresting that most of yout comebacks come from the last melleniumngng </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only posted 2 pics and 1 was Joey Barton last season icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

haha that's ffffffffffb.

Aye, I'm getting it off the back of a lorry so to speak iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah back of a royal mail lorry as they deliver it to you in megastore packaging.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Ronaldo Carrick Javier Giggs

Scholes

Rooney </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

remember last month when everyone hated cronaldo and demanded he leave? I do. :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

siege mentality matey icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

christ, some of you think he's a mixture of Pele and Mother Theresa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's a lot better than Carter or indeed your good self has been touting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Christ, I swear if we went out and signed Ronaldinho for a fiver and a packet of prawn cocktail Walkers people would find fault with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would never happen as Chelski would come in with a better offer of McCoys icon_cool.gif

Great deal for WBA icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Times August 14, 2006

United set for talks to seal Senna transfer

By James Ducker

Our correspondent says Ferguson is closing in on ball-winner but striker is still on agenda

SIR ALEX FERGUSON MAY HAVE worries about the fitness of a number of senior players — notably Wayne Rooney — before the opening game of the season against Fulham on Sunday, but of more immediate concern to the Manchester United manager is the desire to make at least one more addition to his squad.

Further talks have been scheduled with Villarreal today regarding Marcos Senna, the Spain midfield player, the outcome of which is likely to determine whether or not Ferguson moves for Owen Hargreaves, of Bayern Munich, or even Mahamadou Diarra, of Lyons.

The odds would appear to favour Senna moving to Old Trafford — probably for about £4 million. Any bid for Hargreaves would be resisted by Bayern and complicate United’s plans to sign another striker, although Ferguson will have been buoyed by the England midfield player’s claims yesterday to wish to play in the Barclays Premiership. “It would be a great opportunity to play in England,†Hargreaves, 25, said. “A lot of my family live in England and Wales and would appreciate it if I was there. It would seem a natural progression.â€

Bayern value Hargreaves at about £15 million, but having sold Michael Ballack to Chelsea this summer, the German club are thought to oppose selling another of their prized assets. Hargreaves underlined his talent during a 2-0 win against Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga on Friday, when he thrived in the attacking midfield role vacated by Ballack.

The one problem for Ferguson is that any move for Hargreaves — or a holding midfield player of similar quality and age — would leave him without sufficient funds with which to find a high-calibre replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy. Fernando Torres, the Atlético Madrid and Spain forward, is the preferred choice, while rumours abound that a bid could be made for Carlos Tévez, the Argentina striker who plays for Corinthians.

Ferguson, meanwhile, is hoping that Rooney will have recovered from a groin strain in time to spearhead United’s attack against Fulham at Old Trafford. The manager also has fitness concerns over Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Alan Smith and Nemanja Vidic, while Michael Carrick is definitely out.

Reply With Quote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oops icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

look we've finally got over the silvestre > o'shea bull, lets try not to start a richo > o'shea thing up capeche

hell, put 'cancer > aids' in the forum header and we can endear ourselves to the fc united fans by llm-ing up and posting 'rtfh ffs' every third post.

• 1 month later...

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

MOTM: Giggs

Runner-Up: Evra

Been awhile since we've had an edition of The Mongy Ratings iirc, so here we go.

van der Sar: Not really troubled throughout the game and an excellent performance as Jack in 'Old Trafford Presents Jack and the Beanstalk'. 7.3/12

Gary Neville: Hates scousers, which is an excellent attribute in a person. 14/14.12

Rio Ferdinand: **** ME WHAT A GOAL SON. Hits an 8/10 right into the top corner of the net.

Nemanja Vidic: Displayed rock-like qualities today, prompting Dave C to attach him to a sheet of paper and call him Awesomeus Nemanjaus Vidicus. Rating pending

Patrice Evra: Such a small little Frenchman, fb. Will recieve an 8 if he ever signs/10.

Darren Fletcher: Excellent in the first half imo and showed major beef with Xabi Alonso. No doubt brawling with scousers in a pub at this very minute. 10/10

Paul Scholes: I'd **** him dry if it weren't for the very real possibility of our offspring being ginger. 500/10

Michael Carrick: Every pass forward seemed to find a yellow shirt. icon_frown.gif/18m

Ryan Giggs: Each chest hair represents a scouser he's sonned in his time at United. 8.5/10

Louis Saha: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffb, just missing a goal imo 7.0.7/10

Wayne Rooney: fffb play in general, unfortunately monginess shall continue over his 'goal drought.' 7 games now/without a goal

John O'Shea - Now Comes in Rightback Version: qg tbh Æleven/20

Wes Brown Skin Colour Watch: Orange.

• 3 weeks later...

btw, whoever said play Richardson centre and Jones on the left - noooooooooooooooo ffs

I think there's a misconception about Jonah's time in Holland - when he was being talked about as 'playing on the left', it was generally on the left of a very narrow midfield three. In no way was he playing as a winger or even wide midfielder. If he's going to break through with us (or indeed with anyone), it will be as a central midfielder.

We've established that Richardson is pretty much useless in any position, but his only real qualities (pace, pace, erm, pace) mean that if he has to play, he's best off out wide where he's less of a liability and could accidentally do something useful.

So to recap - we'd lose pace out wide, actual width, and central midfield creativity, while pointlessly playing a youngster who's desperately trying to break through and probably a bit short of confidence in an unfamiliar position. What do we gain?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Giggs is right tbf.

I'm reasonably confident that we'll make it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gahahaha icon_biggrin.gif Optimism.

What's next? One word replies from Jimlad? A plethora of happy smilies from Keyser while he heaps praise on Ronaldo? byebecks talking sense?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I guess that's a part of it yeah. Also with Ronaldo when he was younger he was too self-centred, you knew he'd get the ball and not pass, which generally ended in a shot over the bar/wide and fans screaming at the TV to pass it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was but a mere youff.

He has matured somewhat lately, but there is still room for improvement.

Same very much goes for Rooney, tbf.

• 1 month later...

Giggs is a Mancunian in that he's been there since he was about 7 years old.

The rest are pretty much all manc, either from Manchester itself or places like Oldham and Bury which are close enough to not be classed as "poaching".

Becks was the only one to my memory that wasn't actually living in the Greater Manchester area before joining.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

FFS, where's the ignore user option... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoting this for the people who know where it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on username, is in the drop down box that appears. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wooosh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

"i don't play for any particular team. I play for the idea of moving to madrid" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought while watching the highlights that he did look rather good, largely due to the fact that they were just that: highlights. Still gave the ball away too much during the match for my liking, while the only real contribution I can remember from open play was his through ball for Smudge, though fair play with regards his set pieces. Just expect more of him. Our Kier was a greater threat imo.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Yeh so are you all getting on my huntelaar bandwagon then?

good stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not allowed. I've never seen him play. icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

And fwiw...

I'm not sure I'm keen on the new shirt. Can't say I'm enamoured with whatever is going on with that white strip on the back of the shirt especially.

It’s funny how numbers come to signify certain things and the faulty application of them can just seem wrong. I am of course talking about the squad number changes mooted above. Personally I’d prefer if Rooney didn’t lose the #8 shirt and move to the #10 vacated by Ruud just because Fergie doesn’t want to give it to Hargreaves.

Although he’s a striker who likes to play “in the holeâ€, Rooney isn’t your traditional playmaking forward either in my opinion and I’ve come to associate him with the #8 now, which I think suits him given that two of its most recent wearers were also players with a bit of “fight†about them (Ince & Butt). Additionally, since squad numbers were introduced, and although Becks wore the #10 for one season before Eric relinquished the #7, other than him it’s been given to a player who does embody a playmaking centre-forward, Teddy Sheringham, or our chief man up top, Sparky and Ruud in their respective tenures with the club.

As has been suggested previously Hargreaves can quite easily be given the #4 or the #23 when/if Gabby makes his move or Richardson is show the door, with one number suiting a DM and the other being “his number†from his time at Bayern. Then Anderson can be given the #10 on the basis that he’s Ronaldinho-esq in style if not yet in stature & then Nani can have the #17, which suits a winger really.

Archived