The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

Ruud career is well and truley at a crossroads, hes been poor in this World cup(not all his fault, the system et al. basically what Nick said), so no big team will probably want him for a decent fee with them knowing Fergie wants him out.

His best move might be to try and get back in Fergies good books and stick it out with us for another season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm as pro-Ruud as anyone but it'd be pointless him hanging around half-heartedly for another year on the off-chance his resale value might go up. It didn't work with Vieria at Arsenal, I doubt it'd work for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

By the looks of it our tactic really is to hold out and wait on Chinese democracy breaking through before making any moves in the transfer market whatsoever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

btw, a "stranger" does me just fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that lying on your left arm until it's gone to sleep first?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shonte:

I think you could apply what Nick is saying about RVN to the way a lot of you in here talk about Fergie atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly.

oh, but it doesn't matter. fergie's a past it old soak y'see. icon13.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Right, let's get a sense of perspective here. Firstly, Mellor and Gerrard. Them not getting banned had zero to do with our FA. They can only react on reports they receive from the FA who oversee the game, who can only react on reports they receive from the referee. The FA received no report on Mellor and Gerrard, so nothing happened. Whether it was the ref or the foreign FA who didn't send the report, and why they didn't, who knows, but it's a seperate issue.

Secondly, there is no way missing a game in a friendly tournament should be anything to do with what ban you do or don't get domestically. Personally i have no problem with the organisers of a tournament saying that if you get sent off in one game you don't play the next, but that can't be put up against a domestic ban, as there are no consequences to it. If you want to argue that reds in friendlies should have no effect domestically, again that's a seperate argument.

Thirdly, the bans. Again, given what the ref has given the red cards for, the FA initially have no choice but to award 3 game bans pending appeal, exactly the same as if a domestic ref had sent them off. After the ref showing the red card, i have no argument with what has happened.

I also have no problem with the Scholes situation. Given it was a tackle from behind, and quite a nasty one, i think a red was at least arguable, and given that i have no problem that it was upheld. I think for a red to be overturned it has to be clearly wrong.

Which is where we get to Rooney. We shouldn't be firing blindly at the FA here, the only place their procedure has failed is with whoever the muppets were on this panel. Given this precedent, are we now to say that any contact between arm and head is an automatic red card, regardless of intent? Shearer's lucky he retired when he did.

Anyone who's got any knowledge of the game could see that there was no intent. The pictures show clearly that Rooney never takes his eyes off the ball. Add that to the fact that FIFA's latest directive on this issue before the world cup was specific as to the punishments, yellow for reckless use of the arm and red if there is an arm thrown with intent, i simply fail to comprehend this decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hopefully the loss of a striker and a midfielder now will signal the possible scenarios throughout the season, thus shunning ferguson into signing more players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Erm, why are you playing Silvestre and O'Shea as full backs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that how we're lining up? :/

I assumed Wes - Rio - O'Shea - Silv

with the latter 2 perhaps swapping </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky had O'Shea at right back.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deco2o:

And pray tell, why would I go to that scumhole after watching the game at OT? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To enjoy the celebrating scousers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a superbly slick and subtle move away from the embarassing mistake you made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy with the draw. Really pleased to have a home tie. Arsenal v Bolton the tie of the round though.

And lets all hope Villa buy Bardsley. As Nick says really hes a good defender but pretty crap going forward and the billy big ******** attitude really ****s me off when a player has done **** all but play a hand full of games in the first team.

United winning the CL would top an English World Cup win by some margin.

I'd still cheer an England World Cup win, much like I supported England's Cricket and Rugby Teams in their successes. Down in Trafalgar Square for the Ashes celebration is something that will stay with me for my lifetime, and I reckon an England Football World Cup win would also feel the same.

tbh England winning a World Cup is as likely as Liverpool losing 5-1 at Anfield... oh wait icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

It's also arguable that Chelsea are more focused on the CL too, the motivation factor is significant I agree and we look more hungry for it than we have in a good while.

A question Juni posed on MSN the other day for you now, which United player do you most fear being injured? I answered Scholes fwiw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same here. IMO scholes has been the premiership player of the season so far. so good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigBrother:

Larsson is good, but he seems to be a stop-gap signing and he'll stay till the end of the season max.

Man U need some new blood up front IMO, and should be going for a Torres or Villa in the summer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larsson was always a stop gap signing and was never being talked about past this season. He is 35 years old and has been brought in to help us finish the season on a high.

And whoever thinks we are bringing in a Torres or a Villa is dreaming. The simple fact is someone like Hargreaves is top priority and anyone who thinks the days of us being able to afford two top players in one summer are deluding themselves, we are skint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived