The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

lads its not all bad, we definitely haven't reached rock bottom ffs. just wait til the debt's called in, THEN we'll know rock bottom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least if it all went tits up we might get a say in our club.

[/hopeless optimist]

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mourinho, who is a big admirer of Ronaldo, has warned the former Sporting Lisbon star that he may have to leave United if he wants to be successful.

"He is a great player, full of potential and ambition," added Mourinho.

"I do not speak much with him, but as our representative is the same they circulate messages between us.

"I have already said to Jorge Mendes (the pair's agent) that if he wants to be a champion, he is better to leave Manchester.

"If not he stays there for at least another year."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alibaster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Anyone else still waiting on their One United packs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am. They took the money for it three weeks ago as well angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also. At least now I know my odd housemates aren't stealing my mail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Excellent, that's probably the best news of the thread so far. Not good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are we still talking about Keyser's suicide here?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Haven't most big clubs come to the conclusion that, as tall as he might be, Isaakson isn't actually very good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If United were lining him up as a future club goalkeeper I could see your point. He's no worse Kuszczak, he's younger, and a lot cheaper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nyte`:

anyone expect anything from solskjaer this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goals, son. GOALS.

'Kay ? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Aye, it's that and then probably a winger. I don't think the striking positions look that much of a problem even without Ruud. Smith/Saha/Solskjaer/Rossi/Rooney is still, for me, one of the best forward lines in the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

alright, let's take a look at what exactly we have. can someone with better knowledge of the reserves than i change any mistakes/add any forgotten. now, as unfortunate as it is, the best way to assess our squad is probably with an american style depth chart. we'll try to do this as we think fergie sees it, not as we'd like it. so...

no matter the formation (ie what we do with the front six) we'll definitely play with four across the back -

gk: van der sar - foster - steele

rb: neville - brown - bardsley - o'shea - pique

lb: heinze - evra - silvestre - o'shea - vidic

cb: ferdinand - brown - vidic - silvestre - o'shea - pique

if we play 442, the front six:

rm: ronaldo - park - solskjaer - fletcher

lm: ronaldo - giggs - richardson - evra - jones

hm (holding midfielder might be more apt, because we still really don't have a destructive or defensive mid imo): carrick - o'shea - fletcher - smith

am: scholes - giggs - jones - rooney

f: rooney - rossi - solskjaer

st: saha - rooney - smith - solskjaer

probable xi: vds; neville, heinze, ferdinand, brown; park, ronaldo, carrick, scholes; rooney, saha

in a 433:

rcm: fletcher - park - richardson

cm: carrick - o'shea - fletcher - jones - richardson - smith

lcm: scholes - giggs - richardson - jones

rf: ronaldo - solskjaer - rossi - smith - rossi - park - scholes

cf: saha - smith - rooney - solskjaer

lf: rooney - ronaldo - rossi - giggs - saha - scholes

probable xi: vds; neville, heinze, ferdinand, brown; fletcher, carrick, scholes; ronaldo, saha, rooney

in a 4231:

cm: carrick - fletcher - o'shea - jones - smith - richardson - park

rw: ronaldo - park - rooney - solskjaer

f: rooney - rossi - solskjaer - giggs

lw: ronaldo - giggs - rooney - richardson

st: saha - smith - rooney - solskjaer

probable xi: vds; neville, heinze, ferdinand, brown; carrick, fletcher, ronaldo, rooney, giggs; saha

we still really need a winger. probably before another central midfielder*.

*unless that cm is mascherano. then i simply won't care about anyone else. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

and if we still miss out, maybe we could get my great great great grandfather to rise from his grave to fill that hole. if it still not filled - then we go to Vieira. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf, Jim 'The Stamper' Burrage was an awesome right half in his day. Or so Brian Glanville tells me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Seriously, though. Fletcher is a better right-midfielder than Ronaldo is a central (defensive) midfielder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meaning that whoever plays at right midfield will have to help out a bit in the middle as well as attack down the right, and Fletcher's better all-round game may give him the advantage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you were (or were sugesting i was) advocating playing him in the middle icon_biggrin.gif

I see your point, but with Fletcher on the right we lose more from the attack than we gain defensively, and Giggs generally tucks in more than he used to if we need to sometimes make a 3 anyway.

Like i said, we'll lose a war of attrition because that's their style. We need to play to our strengths.

• 3 weeks later...

cant help but feel a bit disappointed after that, just hope ronaldo and saha are ok if not for wednesday then at least for next weekend. we cant afford to lose them for long.

ashley cole an utter utter ****, did anyone else on here see the v-sign to united fans at half time? no surprise that the all-seeing all-knowing mainstream media are completely ignoring it, had it been rooney or ronaldo you'd not hear the end of it

still, cant complain with a point, just wish we had maybe sneaked a winner. i predicted 1-0 chelsea with their goal to come from a setpiece and was nearly spot on. thankyou very much for saving my despair king louis

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Think for a New Year Resolution, certain posters in this thread should be less pessimistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never.

Even with Rooney having the headstart, actually can't believe that he has scored that many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ehm, didn't Ronaldo sign for United a full year before Rooney, therefore meaning he had the headstart?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Who is on beer duty this weekend?

I’m bringing cheesecake (hopefully). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moi is bringing a case of Fosters.

I also have some left over Xmas cake too, i say left over Dad gave me an entire Xmas Cake when i left to come home on monday and so far i've only had a wee bit of it.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Martin cheered the Richardson goal btw (before he knew it was an OG). Slowly becoming everything he hates.

He even got off slightly early at halftime today so he could 'go for a slash'. He came back smelling of steak bake tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The more severe of the two imo icon_mad.gif, when it went in I just sat there with my head in my hands.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

still think he was poor. 'great runs that spanned the length of the pitch' = 'great RUN that spanned the length of the pitch' imo, and he bottled far more challenges than he won. but meh

photos/videos of today for anyone interested </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taz is right. Giggs was head and shoulders above everyone but Ronaldo. However he was still extremely and incredibly poor!

So that just shows how atrocious the rest of the team was.

Can anyone do me a quick summary as I missed the entire match due to crappy public transport. Gathered the first 6 minutes were quite exciting though.

P.S. alilaw is quite possibly the biggest legend that has ever lived seeing as though he gave me amazing advice that helped me get a job today icon_cool.gif

Anyway ali >>>>>>>>>>> *

"Just cannot understand it...they must have got over half this seasons points tally from goals in the last 5 minutes to Injury time at the end of games or before half time

Why are these things allowed to happen? Why cant they accept that they had their decade in the 1990's and now it's time for them to **** off in to mediocrity like everyone else? WHY WHY WHY? Just cannot stand the thought of Ronaldo and all the other wankers parading up and down with another ****ing prem title

Just cannot stand it Cry

Only thing that will wipe that out is a 6th European cup win...but this is the worst kind of psychological sucker punch we could have wished for. But maybe we are better when expectations are low"

god this is a wonderful wonderful day

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

If Ronaldo was to leave us why would he go to Madrid? Might as well join Notts Forest, they used to win things too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Real Madrid are like Liverpool. Strutting around like a fecking peacock acting like they're still this magical, mythical club that all others should just wilt and accept that they're so superior.

ESPN on the boro game:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">MAN OF THE MATCH: Cristiano Ronaldo

If he didn't destroy Middlesbrough in the way he orchestrated the demolition of Bolton, this was another matched he determined. How would United have fared had he left last summer?

UNITED VERDICT: The regulars maintained their high standards, but the understudies, with the notable exception of Gabriel Heinze, failed to convince. Ryan Giggs provided some incisive and well-judged passing from the anchor role in midfield, but Kieran Richardson was a predictably inadequate deputy on the left flank. Wes Brown, meanwhile, emerged a distant second in his duel with Stewart Downing on an evening to enhance the reputation of the absent Gary Neville.

And while Alan Smith's quest for match sharpness is a mitigating factor, his display in attack means the return of Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be timely. Although he has had an extended run in midfield and one-third of his appearances have been as a replacement, Smith's United goal tally stands at 11 in 82 appearances. It is not a record to fill them with confidence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I alone in believing that we need a striker more than a winger right now?

I mean when you look at our stock of forwards, only Rooney is good enough/fit enough to be a constant starter for us at the moment. This season we were lucky in that we got half a season out of Saha, Ole chipped in with some valuable goals (looked less and less of the player he was as the season went on) and that we managed to Larsson on loan midway through the season.

I can't see us getting more than half a season out of saha again, ole has faded a lot icon_frown.gif, smith tbh isn't good enough to be anything other than backup and rossi isn't an out and out striker plus he has yet to prove himself in England.

So unless we are going to get another miracle loan to cover for Saha when he inevitably comes down with a minor cold and believes he's got pneumonia, a striker is essential if we want to compete for the league again.

If we do get someone like Berbatov, that would allow us to start with him and Rooney, have Smith and Ole as backup/impact sub and loan out Rossi to Sunderland for the first half of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I ended up walking home topless that night as my shirt ended up on a roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if i did that you ot would fupping complain

again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cos your an old man who cant handle his booze iirc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Upon returning to my house I spent a good 2 minutes trying to open my front door with a pound coin. I then fell up the stairs (twice) then fell over in my room before dragging myself (literally) into bed. I awoke at 10 am, had a shower then went back to bed until 5pm. When I awoke I was still drunk icon14.gif

Archived