The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red_Comet:

Hargreaves? You are having a laugh surely. I rather we give David Jones a decent run in the side to show us what he's capable of than resorting to buying Hargreaves.

Cambiasso? Remember the time when Veron played for us? I maintain that only tough tackling Argentines i.e. Heinze can make it in the EPL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) Have you actually ever seen Hargreaves play for Bayern? Or are you basing it purely on his England performances? He's a strong, solid player, not exciting but would be very good in a holding role alongside a Playmaker type midfileder like Carrick.

b) So you're basing your opinion of every argentinian player who isn't a tough tackler on the performances of a player who was missused by the two teams he played for in the Premiership and who didnt play him in a way that would have best suited his game? Therefore, all non-tough-tackling Argies will be rubbish?

You're clever.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

I didnt think Evra was star man, caught out of position often and gave it away cheaply at times. Didnt think anyone stood out, Simpson was pretty good, so was Richardson and the centre halves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simpson was good, Centre halfs i thought average and Kieran good but not as good as Evra & Simpson.

I think we can both agree on our worst player though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wakeyrocket:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Dawson pretty much the best young player in the Prem last seaosn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from Wes, Rooney & Ronaldo along with Fabregas and Eboue he was jpshakehead.sml.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong.

Rooney maybe. Eboue ffs? icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

bless you for adding some punctuation aswell eddie icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just cringed when I saw it. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

iirc some United fans on here wanted Hargreaves before the WC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me and PJ basically started the rumour mill about a Carrick/Hargreaves midfield partnership, before the world cup.

What players do you want next lads?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakey06:

No Senna & no Hargreaves fffffffs tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much have you seen of them both to come to that conclusion? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Enough to convince me that they're a better option than O'shea and Fletcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Our away kit > home kit this season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats true. Anyway I won't be splashing out any cash soon on a new shirt, I'm quite happy with the first Nike one that I have. If the vodafone logo wasn't quite so big it would be a fb shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this has been posted yet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Sunderland new-boy Liam Miller is looking forward to the possibility of regular first-team football at the Stadium of Light after ending his nightmare stint at Manchester United.

Miller was one of six deadline day signings by the recently-appointed Sunderland manager, his former United teammate and fellow Corkman Roy Keane.

And the 25-year-old is relieved to have brought an end to a dismal two-year stay at Old Trafford.

He said: "It was very frustrating. I was part of a massive club at Manchester United and I wasn’t playing.

"I need to be playing regularly. Sunderland came in with a chance for me to fight for a place in the team, so I jumped at the chance. I am very happy to be here and training and just to fight for my place in the team.â€

“When I got the phone call, my decision was pretty much made there and then, to be totally honest.

"I was training with the international team, and they were very good to let me come over and speak to Sunderland, and it was done and dusted within a couple of hours.

“Roy Keane was a world-class player. Luckily enough for me, I got to play with him once or twice at Manchester United and it was a pleasure to play alongside him.

"He was a great player and I am sure he is going to take that into management. I was just very happy when the move came about.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since he has departed, who is our new 'f(_)ck off and rot [insert crap fringe player here] player?

Richardson?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> CARRICK IN AWE OF 'SPECIAL' SCHOLES

Michael Carrick believes he is going to learn plenty by playing alongside Paul Scholes.

Although Carrick produced an effective performance on his Champions League debut against Celtic last night, the £18.6million midfield man was overshadowed not just by two-goal hero Louis Saha but Scholes as well.

Just like Wayne Rooney, Scholes has spent the past three weeks kicking his heels in frustration after being banned for his pre-season dismissal in Amsterdam.

However, while Gordon Strachan's side were largely able to shackle Rooney, they had no answer to Scholes' promptings.

The 31-year-old set up the last two goals in United's win, with Strachan and Sir Alex Ferguson agreeing he had been the major difference between Britain's best-two supported sides on a pulsating evening at Old Trafford.

It is not a judgment which would meet with any disagreement from Carrick, who has already discovered what a brilliant player Scholes is.

"Paul Scholes is just fantastic," said Carrick.

"When you play alongside him, you realise what a special talent he is.

"He is so intelligent and clever, he makes the game look really simple and showed it against Celtic by creating those two goals."

The disguised pass to release Saha for United's second was inspired, while, given seconds to make his decision, the ball which released the Frenchman in the build-up to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's winner was equally impressive.

"Paul has this ability to make the game look really easy," said Carrick.

"Believe me, it is a pretty hard skill to be able to slot people through gaps when everything is going on around you. Paul can do that and I felt he was the big difference between the teams."

Although Ferguson tried manfully to bring in a defensive-minded reinforcement to his midfield before the transfer deadline closed, moves for Owen Hargreaves and Marcos Senna met with no success.

It means that, while they make lack something in terms of destructive play, the partnership between Carrick and Scholes is set to be extended, particularly as both Ryan Giggs and Park Ji-sung have now been consigned to frustrating spells on the sidelines.

"It is up to the manager," said Carrick.

"It worked well against Celtic but who knows what will happen against Arsenal on Sunday.

"The more I play, the more I will learn about the other lads' games, the more we will get the rhythm flowing and the better our overall performances will be."

Although defensive frailties and poor passing meant United's performance could not be judged as the best of the fledgling campaign, it was enough to bring them a fifth straight win.

Even without Giggs and Park, the Red Devils have every reason to approach Sunday's meeting with Arsene Wenger's men in confident mood.

As a former Tottenham star, it is a game which holds special significance for Carrick.

However, even if United win and open up a 13-point gap on their old rivals, the 25-year-old thinks it is too early to start writing the Gunners off.

"It is too early to start looking past the game itself," he said.

"We have had a super start to the season and we just want to carry it on.

"It is a huge game and if we win it, we will be in a strong position. But it would still be too early to write them off." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Quick question.

If we won the league and the Glazer twats came onto the pitch and held the trophy above their heads, would you cheer them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they wouldn't dare </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they did for the superbowl tbf :/

• 2 weeks later...

omgz we're signing Torres!!!!!!!!!!11111111

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED are on the brink of a £22million swoop for striker Fernando Torres.

Boss Alex Ferguson is close to a deal with Atletico Madrid for the Spanish international.

Torres, 22, is likely to switch to Old Trafford in the January transfer window, four years after Fergie first set his sights on the hitman and after three failed bids.

Torres has suffered in Atletico’s failing season and is torn about leaving them in a crisis.

But Atletico are willing to part with their star player so they can buy new blood in the window.

Torres signed a new contract last summer as United and Arsenal courted his signature — but part of the deal saw his buy-out clause reduced.

Torres is the perfect replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy as his physical presence and skill make him ideal to lead the line.

And with Fergie getting the green light from the Glazer family to launch a bid for £16m-rated Bayern Munich and England midfielder Owen Hargreaves — it could see United’s January splurge top £38m.

The arrival of Torres means Fergie is ready to let Alan Smith go out on loan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome, Hargreaves and Torres then, we're gonna win the league!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

btw, if anyone at either of the villa games got a programme, please make yourself known. i promise to stop martin from rabidly attacking you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i did for the league game.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved Blackburns tactics today icon_biggrin.gif

As soon as they went ahead it was just any excuse to waste time. Friedel taking 15 seconds for every kick, Players going down holding their faces all over the pitch.

McCarthy feigning injury was the best though. Oh I can't walk, my legs really sore. Then as soon as the ball is played over the top he sprints after it.

I wish Solskjaer would celebrate a bit more when he scores though. He always looks embarassed.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Had several cans here from the last game, plus a few at my mates \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Translation: I had two cans in my room on my own & then passed out in my own juices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">AC Milan's Brazilian superstar Kaka believes Manchester United have overtaken Arsenal as the Premiership's most stylish side.

The 25-year-old got a first-hand look at Sir Alex Ferguson's men on Tuesday as his side crashed 3-2 at Old Trafford in a thrilling Champions League semi-final first leg.

Kaka was arguably the star of the show with a first-half brace, but he saw enough of United to convince him they would not look out of place at Rio's famous Maracana.

"I watch the Premiership and I see Manchester United in England as the most Brazilian-like in their style," he told the Daily Telegraph.

"Obviously, Ronaldo and Rooney are very skilful, but they all play well with the ball on the floor.

"They play the passing game. They did not use any long balls against us.

"People always say that Arsenal play a Brazilian style of football, but I think Manchester United are more Brazilian in their way of playing than the Arsenal players are."

Vocal

Kaka also hailed United's fans for their vocal performance on Tuesday night.

"I was particularly impressed with the singing of the Manchester fans at half-time, especially as their team was 2-1 down," he added.

"This is one of the great things about Premiership fans. They have such passion for their team. I love that kind of atmosphere."

The Champions League's top scorer this season has predicted an equally attacking second leg when the sides reconvene on Wednesday night at the San Siro.

Kaka said: "The two teams are very similar, both very strong, who both espouse an attacking brand of football.

"We are two teams who instinctively like to come forward and attack. I think the combination of the teams makes it a joy to watch.

"You could never hold back and settle for a draw against a team like Manchester United.

"The second leg will be an exciting match, because it would always be this way whenever these two teams of players meet.

"But we are going to go for the kill in the San Siro, to win outright."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

clearly a come and get me plea. do the honours fergie

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

lads, making a cd (or two) for the journey down to Wembley - suggest United-related songs for me to put on it. can be as tenuous a link as you want really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the songs already mentioned..

Love will tear us apart (Giggs)

This is how it feels (City)

Lilly the pink (Eric the king)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived