The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyPolack:

A little bit of a, a little bit of b.

It'll get better when the season starts ofc. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll have all our new superstars in by then, so the opportunity will have been missed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Does this go to penalties if it's a draw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

Haha.. did anyone see that on SSN? Rooney arrived at carrington.. A little kid asked for his autograph, Rooney leant out the window ready to sign but then pointed at the portugal shirt the boy was wearing(.. with no. 17 on it) and just drove off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronaldo trying to get his autograph icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson admits Michael Carrick will be out for at least three weeks after injuring his ankle against Ajax in a pre-season friendly.

Following Friday night's exertions against Porto that saw the dismissals and consequent pending domestic suspensions of Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes, Ferguson would have been praying his side came though Saturday's game unscathed.

It was, though, to be a difficult night for United in Amsterdam as although Ryan Giggs claimed the game's only goal it came at a cost when Carrick went down under a 14th minute challenge from Kenneth Perez.

The England midfielder was replaced immediately but looked in obvious discomfort and left the Amsterdam ArenA on crutches, much to the dismay of his manager.

Ferguson now concedes that his new £18.6 million signing looks a major doubt for the club's Premiership opener against Fulham on August 20.

"It looks like he'll be out for a few weeks - there's a lot of swelling and bleeding,'' Ferguson told Sky Sports News.

"It's a ligament to the front of the foot.

"It is difficult to say what will happen with these things because we don't know what his general recovery time is but it will be three weeks at least.

"It is a blow for the young lad because he has only just joined us and he wanted to do well.

''It knocks him back a bit but it's something we have to handle as we have done many times in the past.

''It's terrible luck. It seems like we are cursed at times but we'll have to get on with it.'' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- those who have always rated him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been in that camp since his debut in the CL for Bayern. Since then I have always defended him against the 'bashers' and wouldn't mind seeing him in the red of United. I think he can do the job for us in the centre of the park that we require, his positional sense is great, and can disrupt opposition attacks. If he plays alongside Carrick or Scholes he will not have to make killer passes. Plus he seems to keep running for 90 (or 120) minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs.

I love it when people write out posts that pretty much sum up what I think, saves me from doing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

leave my jacket alone icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the words of spaced (sort of)

BBB : Should i lose the jacket?

Mark g : You should burn the jacket. If you only lose it, you might find it again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyrule_king:

How did o'shea play on saturday? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indecisively.

Could do better. And has in the past.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lads lets leave the 15 year old kid alone. He probably wasnt even into football when we last bought big or experienced those Glory nights.

He was 11/12 when we last won the league, 7/8 when we had that night in Barcelona.

tbh the lad wont remember spending big on Cole, Stam, Yorke, Ruud, Veron and Ferdinand. He wont realise we used to buy more than one player in the summer and the fact that we were the richest team in the world who could buy anyone that we wanted.

I doubt the kid even grasps the extent of the debt or what debt means. Lets give the kid a chance to hear what we have to say and then like everyone else he can be slaughtered if he doesnt conform to the majority.

what really frustrates me about the performances when he changes the sides, as has been pointed out, is the lazy way the players go about it.

You'd think that the players coming in would step it up a gear themselves, to try and play out of their skin to try and push for a place in the side by right rather than by the other guy being rested.

Thats the whole point of having competition for places, it's almost as bad as Liverpool in that sense, but not to a great a degree. WIth Liverpool, you always get the feeling, they don't care about trying to push as a regular, because they know they'll get a week off and then get a game the next week.

It's almost like that with our backups, "oh well, i've got my game, i dont care, he'll drop me next week then i'll play against another easy team in a few weeks time, this is great"

It's just utterly utterly frustrating. We should have killed them off in the first half. Battered them and then if we wanted to, take it easy when the result was clear.

Instead, we just went at half gear the entire time in a game we were easily controlling and got caught out by a side who were determined to try to get at least a goal from the game.

The difference in our performance before and after the goal was utterly shocking. It was disgusting in fact to see that we could actually do that when they could be bothered. It was an insult to both sets of fans and the opposition themselves.

Utterly appauled by it. It's a typical away performance you see from continental teams and yet more evidence of why Quieroz should get the hell out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

if we mess up this year, Fergie will have to find a new excuse as the old chestnut of 'we didn't get out of the blocks well enough' has been banished this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the always-reliable entry in Fergie's Big Book of Excuses: "We're still a young team, we'll learn for the experience" icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's easy to mock but tbf, he's not exactly been wrong when he has said that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has been, completely. He used it last year, yet the average age of our first choice side last year was greater than many of our rivals (CL finalists Arsenal for example), and the only real youngsters who were first choice were Rooney and Ronaldo - both with two international tournaments, numerous international caps and at least three seasons at the top level under their belts. It's a complete cop-out.

btw, can someone explain Taz's table to me, I'm confused icon_frown.gif

What a day, fb atmosphere as always at united away games, Ronnie by far MoM in my opinion, don't know what was funnier, hearing Blackburn give Tugay MoM or seeing Mart getting told off by coppers icon_biggrin.gif at Fernhurst (asked why he didn't have his hat on). didn't get that good of a look at the goal (at opposite end from us) so will comment more after MOTD.

Blackburn Fans utter bobbins, couldn't even fill there ground for us , worst in country imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Jonny never having a lift back again, took ages to get home icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were asleep in the car all the way to mine what's your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Well I blame Fergie then icon_mad.gif

It's all well and good saying Ronaldo was a good outlet for pressure in the second half, but if we had a better set-up in midfield defensively then we wouldn't have invited all the pressure in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While in a sense that's true, there are certainly more (and i think better) ways of doing it than pulling people back towards your own goal.

There's an argument for being braver, pushing Giggs into his more natural position, and forcing them to worry about you rather than the other way around. Essien was a big factor in the second half, and one of the reasons for that was that he didn't have to worry about a wide man running in behind him. Had we pushed him wide and on, and used Heinze (or brought on Evra) to push more into midfield and follow whoever would nominally be the furthest right player in the chelsea midfield 3 (Ballack mostly in the second half), you still have everyone covered, but you have more outlets and more importantly more options to keep the ball when you get it back. As it was, the deeper Giggs played, the more we invited pressure, and the more Essien was able to make an extra man in our final third anyway.

I've always believed that you'll concede more often that you'll hold out trying to shut up shop at 1-0, unless your team is truly of the right make up in terms of both personnel and attitude to have that mindset.

You can argue from any point of view really. While Ajax isn't a bad shout, it'd arguably be easiest for essentially an American kid to adapt to life in England rather than anywhere else on the continent I'd have thought. Comparison to Tevez is way off the mark - he didn't speak the language at all and, as a South American, the culture shock would have been far higher.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Cantona is just so fb in all those nike adds.

"Who's on fire, Henrys on fire" icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henry's hair icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Exactly - comparisons with Bruce against Wednesday are ridiculous imho, we were well into April then iirc and had literally 4/5 games to go. In reality, we've actually got a quarter of the season left... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sahahahahaha being predictably injured isn't good, but it really shouldn't be panic inducing if it's short term. with bolton and blackburn at home, and pompey away - being the most difficult of our next three league games - we should still be picking up nine points from those three games.

assuming chelsea also pick up maximum points in that time, the point differential will be equal to the number of games remaining - and we'll be hard to chase down from that position.

• 1 month later...

Oooooh big news re. Cristiano Ronaldo. Wp Fergie.

Not sure if you guys read the Telegraph, but Alan Smith is predicting a Milan - Chelsea final. He says the experience of Milan and your injuries at the back will lose it for you.

Personally I disagree: Maldini has shot his bolt, Pirlo has been inconsistent this season...they are not a very settled side. They had a great chance of beating Bayern because Bayern have been poor this season too. This tie is Man United's to lose, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

dude, aren't you 15? you'll be killed icon_frown.gif

first time in a home end, must be insane </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been in Everton end twice before, no bother when cheering unless you go over the top.

Cheered United's 3 goals this season against Villa in the Doug Ellis Stand, no bother then either.

yes it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Police warning to Man United fans

Supporters of Manchester United football team who decide to sit in the home end of Everton's Goodison Park will be ejected from the ground.

Merseyside Police have issued the warning in advance of the match between the two clubs on Saturday.

At the beginning of the week Everton put 5,000 tickets for the game on general release.

Officers are concerned that some of the tickets may have been bought by Manchester United fans.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's what happens when you stick them on general sale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Nick, mate, any chance you can accidentally add van Nistelrooy to the team for 08? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll try and sneak him in there. maybe call him nan Vistelrooy or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rather than shortening it to 'nan, use the full version, granny? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has similar attributes namely acceleration and work rate to my nan iirc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thierry_is_god:

Hope you guys don't suffer a european hangover and manage to beat city saturday. Failing that i am sure Arsenal will do the honours on Sunday for ya'll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought you only got european hangovers after wins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

more of a literal thing. drinking the sorrows away :*(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

not gonna make it here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree, just dont seem to have "it". if he had then i have no doubt that fergie would've used him now rather shipping him off to sub standard sides

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

can't say i'd noticed Jonny being particularly bad, although i'd have to qualify that by saying

a)i've not been there for the "in person" stuff, and

b) i probably go too far without realising it myself sometimes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly whs, and with a better memory to boot icon14.gif

you're only moving down the corridor, you hardly need to pack everything into boxes and hire a removal van.

just nick a trolley from iceland and carry it all between the two flats in that.

yes, i said flats

Cheers dude, just found assorted random stuff

various red news/red issues

my tesco uniforms icon_biggrin.gif

fergie's autobiography

Amsterdam posters from the tournament

Amsterdam tournament cap

Amsterdam tournament programme

old membership pack from 2005

villa programme

newcastle programme

aces