The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

He's a non-manc icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He used to live in Manchester though didn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going to Uni and staying a bit longer is hardly the same thing though.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Gabby :*)

Right that's the last of the teams I remotely give a stuff about out of the tourney, World Cup over.

Mon signings icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't lie, you'll be there tomorrow cheering on England, with yur England Shirt, Union Jack Shorts, England Flag, and Jester Hat in Red White and Blue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

ok, what about my second point then?

If any of our players do that during the course of the 06/07 season, will you be calling them a c**t and demanding their immediate transfer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what? after the final whistle when the result is decided and in no way influencing the outcome of the game will I be demanding their transfer? no? because it isn't influencing the outcome of a game?

ngngngngngngng </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm on about the Ronaldo incident today and you know it, so now, answer the question/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Why Matt? Surely you expected this? icon_biggrin.gif

It's probably better than your expectations actually. A pessimist is never disappointed and all that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'cos all United pessimists are double secret optimists although we'll deny it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

The moment I say anything remotely optimistic, something bad ALWAYS happens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Now if we could only sign some midfielders instead of having Fergie peddle out the rubbish about not panic buying and waiting for the right man while Arsenal unearth another young gem, Liverpool sign a young Spanish star for reasonable money and Chelsea buy a world class bloke for OTT money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know that interview was made up, don't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you do realise Fergie mentions that we dont panic buy every season dont you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Why do we have so many morons lately supporting United?

mentioning no names markggoodguyelmonzoolipepper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think on the bright side, they're nothing compared to the absolute machine that is the Liverpool thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

My first favourite player was the mighty Neil Webb icon_cool.gif He scored in the first game I watched and could do no wrong in my eyes...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Knighton's goal was better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Season before I went, that was. Missed out soooo much icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but Knighton's kickabout was before the 4-1 thumping of Arsenal which was also Webb's debut.

icon_confused.gifCracking volley too (by Webb).

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i cant believe we would have offered him terms without speaking to bayern first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would hope Fergie and co are not that stupid.

oh wait... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

fletcher's passing is anything but erratic tbf. no matter his other weaknesses, he's a very good passer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I disagree. I don't think he's very consistent in retaining posession, and he gives the ball away far too often for the top level. I've tried to find some Opta stats for him, but they only list the top 5 players for each club, and he's not on there, so I've nothing to back myself up with really. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

He is gash though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

As long as the injury jinx doesn't get him, i'm not too bothered either way to be honest. It's more the implications of why he's going there now that are of interest than the move itself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the key icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

barely legal action on the wall icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not getting involved in that shit

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

I thought Evra was excellent when he came on. Went into everything full blast and took no prisoners. He was also bombing down the left wing to try and create something. Ronaldo was fairly bright too. Ironic that he got robbed for the goal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont think its possible to disagree with someone more. evra for me was ghosted past far too often and that was largely because he was playing so far up the pitch he was continually getting back and being made to look a bit of a muppet. his tackles were great at times, non existant at others. not his best game.

and ronaldo was pathetic, too greedy, too rash, too stupid.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

Right gotta go and take back a road sign vigilante style, when I look again tommorow I want in-depth answer's to my question.

2000 words should be enough mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pfft mark is so 2005. jimlad's your man tbh

• 2 weeks later...

Well I will apply on my membership if they allow members to apply. Have only aplied to Celtic home this year though so I am not optimistic icon_biggrin.gif

If you have to pick up tickets from the Ot ticket office I am sure there will be spares floating around, there were a few last year iirc.

If I do have the chance to go it would have to be a day trip as I don't have any holidays left this year icon_frown.gif

A week in Rome? We don't all bath in money Keith icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Kieran Richardson is prepared to battle for his future at Manchester United.

Richardson's career has stalled over the course of the last year and he is currently well down Sir Alex Ferguson's pecking order.

The midfielder enjoyed a fruitful spell on loan at West Brom in 2005 and he has again been linked with a move away from Old Trafford in January.

Richardson is aware of the task facing him at Old Trafford, but he is eager to prove he is capable of holding down a regular starting berth.

"It would be easy to think about going somewhere else where you are going to get a game, but somewhere else isn't Manchester United," Richardson told The Sun.

Alan Smith is another player ready to fight for his future at United.

The forward is edging closer to full fitness, as the anniversary of his serious ankle injury approaches, and even though Henrik Larsson has arrived at Old Trafford, Smith is looking to stay and fight.

"There has been a tremendous improvement in his fitness over the last month and he is not far away now," said Ferguson.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I can't wait icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be wearing my Vida shirt, Nick with his Ole one.

MON </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mart, where were those "Veni Vidi Vida" T-shirts ?

Link, please. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this what your looking for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the baby !

Murky buckets, WSR. icon14.gif

FAO BBB:

Could you maybe see your way to possibly potentially asking your contacts about the possibility of a Bolton ticket PLEEEEEEEASE? icon_smile.gif

FAO REDBLOOD AND EDDIE:

Apologies lads, the Fulham tickets are a no go. Not even for me. My so-called friend, twat that he is, has flogged his allocation already, including mine. The bastard.

'Oh, I assumed because you weren't living in London you wouldn't be going this year.'

'Well you assumed wrong then, didn't you. Knob jockey'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

yeah, his 'we won't make that mistake again' claim, no matter how sternly put, doesn't really ring true when you see how often we've made things awkward for ourselves in that way and just refused to learn from it.

Hargreaves would make a huge difference in that regard. if we can't get him, i still say Fletch should be utilised more in those kind of games.

anyway, this is all irrelevant. i've realised today that i didn't follow my usual pre-match ritual of listening to i am the resurrection on sunday - every time i've forgotten to this season we've lost/drawn icon_frown.gif

so blame me, but i won't make that mistake again, no question about that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wore my Heinze shirt for both Arsenal games & we lost both icon_frown.gif

Only two games we have ever lost when I wore that shirt.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Boss wants Academy revamp

Sir Alex Ferguson has long been among the dissenting voices when it comes to the Academy system in British football.

Players must be within an hour's travelling distance of a club to be able to train there. It is a rule the United boss feels has hamstrung the most talented young footballers from receiving the best available coaching - not only damaging for the Reds, but also for England at international level. Sir Alex urges the football authorities to have a major rethink of the entire system...

Do you think there are too many foreign players in the Premiership?

It’s a difficult one to answer, but what I do think is that we should be paying more attention to home-produced players. There are all sorts of theories about what you can do to change it. For instance, in Scotland they tried a system where it was something like you had to have at least two Under-21s on the bench. There are also some recommendations that you should have four or five home-produced players in your team, which I think is a sensible one.

Is there a problem with producing home-grown players?

I think the problem lies in the fact that the Academy system is not working. The restriction on travelling time of an hour means that Manchester United, and particularly Arsenal, are having to look elsewhere, abroad. Liverpool are starting to do that as well now. They are venturing into Spain in a big way. What we would all like to do is get the best young players into the club because there is an expectation and need for Manchester United to do well. That is always there.

The fees for English players are so high, does the role of agents play a part? Gary Neville said recently that football would be better off without them…

Of course, in an ideal world he is correct. But agents are here. If they are professional and sensible then there is nothing wrong with players taking correct advice. What I would like to see – and I think most people would – is an investigation into the tariffs they have, they are taking a lot of money out of football, so much so that they are now able to buy players. That is a dangerous precedent because then they can control the markets. They would buy all the players, that would be a really dangerous area to go into. But that is happening at this time, as we know. If agents are sensible and have a responsible attitude towards the industry then there is nothing wrong with that. We had a situation recently where an agent came to our academy trying to tap up young players aged 11 and 12. We barred him, but he waited outside the Academy and stopped parents as they were leaving, trying to tap up the youngsters. There are some bad ones, but I am sure there are plenty of good ones.

There is to be a review of the Academy system this year, are you hopeful something will be done to improve them?

There has to be something done. I think it is in serious danger of falling apart. If you were to examine it you would see that there are countless flaws in it, countless. Some Academies aren’t even run properly now. They cut the Under-19s teams, I think purely on finance, because teams were not able to afford it all. When it started, Bristol City came up here with a youth team, the fathers and mothers of the players stayed in a hotels. It must have cost them a fortune. At some point, the chairman of that club is going to say, ‘where are the players?’. It costs a fortune to run, it costs this club £4million a year to run the Academy.

Do you think there is enough talent there, and it’s just not being produced in the right way?

I think you can find talent. Talent has got to be identified at a very early age. In my experience, there are very few natural footballers in the world anyway. Most are produced by practice, like the Brazilians do, or seeing what players like Cristiano Ronaldo does every session after training. That is producing yourself. The practice ethic should always be there. We feel that quite strongly at this club. I think talent is always there, you have to give it the right platform and encouragement.

Does it amaze you when you see English clubs with just foreign players in the starting line-up?

There is an obvious slant in that question towards Arsenal. But, Arsene Wenger is obviously strong on French football and African players, so why not, for his sake, take advantage. The problem doesn’t lie with Arsene Wenger, it lies with the system. If there was a formula where you had to produce home-grown players then it would be different for everyone. If I go to buy an English player, the prices are horrendous. So there is no fairness there. It forces you sometimes to go abroad to buy a player. Therefore, it is our own fault. More attention has to be given to producing home-grown players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from Fergie's press conference earlier. he's right, the academy system iffffs

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

sounds kinda crazy. BOTH O'Shea AND Richardson setting up goals icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

believe me, luck rather than judgement in the latter's case and he soon reverted to type. or worse, if that's possible

If he didn't mind being back up I'd be all for it (cue Taz INSISTING that Rossi's several thousand times better than Tevez). But I doubt he'd accept that, and it'd be too difficult to crowbar them into the same team. Our priorities are elsewhere as well.

Something Javier 'Red Devil' Mascherano could have help solve. icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

whilst this will be one of our greatest triumphs, this will be the least enjoyable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

The day Cantona left was just so surreal and it didnt really sink in until the first game afterwards.

But for me it was Kanchelskis, easily our best player in the 04/05 season (and my favourite player at the time) , jut gutted (partly due to the fact I had spent about £10 to have his name & number on the back of my shirt about 3 months ago.). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll assume you mean 94/95 there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

Archived