The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Look at the competition though, I think you're a shoe-in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it's already going to my head. I'll be more arrogant than Nick and James combined by Christmas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So winning user of the year is a kiss of death then...glad I lost now.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Meanwhile, Arsene Wenger fights the good fight :***)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ARSENE WENGER wants divers like Cristiano Ronaldo to be subjected to a trial by video.

Arsenal boss Wenger was appalled by the antics of the sly Manchester United winker, who kept throwing himself to the ground at the World Cup.

Wenger said: “These things must now be looked at after the match with a view to taking retrospective action.

"The trouble is a generation of players has grown up with Maradona’s Hand of God as an example.â€

Wenger’s words are sure to infuriate Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson — who does not take kindly to his players being slated.

In the past, Wenger has also accused Ronaldo’s club-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy of diving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wenger's former captain practising what his boss preaches :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's really singled Ronaldo out in those quotes, hasn't he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well indeed, hence why I shied away from opening this up to the whole of OTF.

Still, amusing to see Wenger taking any kind of stance on diving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Choose Dual nationality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is Dong can't be Dual Nationality. You can't hold two passports if you are Chinese. He would have to rennounce his Chinese Citzenship. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for the time being. There'll come a time when China becomes a democracy and those rules will disappear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

keep dreaming Carter. That's like saying Iran will acknowledge Israel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

a citeh fan exchanging derby memories

how cute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ill probably jinx us saying this but "4 easy points this season"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

To be honest the " we could have signed Pennant was a bit of a joke at our scouse chums expense.

I agree whole heartedly with what your saying Mark about we should've bought a battler first but who? I ask you, theres only Gattuso and Mascherano and we wont get Gattuso due to Milan escaping relegation and still being in the Champions League, Mascherano on the other hand would have been quite a bit dearer possibly nearer to 25 million. Anyway this is getting a bit distanced from what my original post was about which was really to tell people in this thread to be a little more optomistic with regards to Carrick.

In fact this brings up a bit of a discussion, would you guys prefer :

a) Signing Carrick for 16-18 million.

or

b) Signing Mascherano for 25 million. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mascherano in a heartbeat, even at that price. And i don't believe he'd have cost that much anyway.

As for who, there's also Hargreaves, and i'd have considered Diarra and Zokora as well.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'M HUNGRY FOR UNITED ACTION - SMITH

Alan Smith insists a seventh-month absence through injury has only increased his desire to succeed at Manchester United.

The 25-year-old striker is making remarkable progress after breaking a leg in January in an FA Cup defeat by Liverpool and could return in two weeks.

He is taking encouragement from the way Paul Scholes and Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer have bounced back after lengthy spells out.

"When I return that hunger will be the same for me," Smith told MUTV.

"I was lucky to get this far without a major injury because football is a physical game.

"You realise how much it does mean to you when you come in every day and are putting in the work after being injured.

"It would be easy to cut corners but you should never do that.

"I like taking part in sport anyway, so doing bike rides was fun.

"My aim has always been to be around for the start of the season (United open against Fulham) and fingers crossed I will not be far off."

Smith has been delighted at the level of care given to him following his injury.

He said: "The good thing for me was that I had the right people in the right place at the right time.

"The Sunday afternoon saw my leg fixed and in place. You could not ask for more and from then on I had a positive outlook.

"I cannot speak highly enough off the way I have been treated at United. Ever since my injury I have had great feedback from everyone."

Solskjaer could find himself in conflict with Sir Alex Ferguson after being recalled to the Norway squad for the friendly against Brazil in Oslo on August 16.

The Old Trafford boss will almost certainly be dismayed at the prospect of the 33-year-old returning to immediate international action.

Although Solskjaer has come through the pre-season campaign without a problem, he has missed virtually three seasons with knee trouble.

However the way he performed in the Amsterdam tournament at the weekend caught the eye of Norway coach Age Hareide.

Hareide is hoping to reach a compromise with Ferguson.

"We understand he is concerned," he told the www.fotboll.no.

"Ole has been out for two years but he looked very good in Amsterdam when I saw him there. With common sense we will find a solution."

Meanwhile the Football Association have yet to hear from their Dutch counterparts after Wayne Rooney and Scholes were sent off in the victory against Porto in the Amsterdam tournament on Friday.

The United pair are facing the possibility of suspensions which would kick in two weeks after the match as pre-season friendlies are counted as non-first-team games.

United, however, intend to appeal if violent conduct charges are brought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ icon_cool.gif Smithy

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

I swapped out f**king Alonso & Gerrard fcol icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were ***** today, Alonso didn't even play. You can thank me later icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't bother you lanky arse

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Then I got home fell asleep at 8pm & woke up half an hour ago icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sums up Amsterdam that just the times were skewed later useless buggers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakey06:

Ole 10

Scholes 9

Keane 8

Rooney 7

Stam 6

Rio 5

Yorke 4

Irwin 3

Ince 2

G Nev 1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Eric?! icon_eek.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Giggs and Fergie win player/manager of the month...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United have scooped the awards for both manager and player of the month after the club's perfect start to the Premiership season.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been named the Barclays manager of the month for August and Ryan Giggs, 32, has won the player of the month prize.

During August, United beat Fulham, Charlton and Watford, scoring 10 goals in those three league matches.

Giggs, despite playing over 600 games, has never won the monthly award before.

"The awards are testimony to the fantastic manner in which United have opened the new campaign, playing an exciting brand of fast and attacking football," said Jim Hytner, from the Barclays Awards Panel.

"It's hard to believe Giggs has never received the accolade before, but he thoroughly deserves the award for the performances he's put in during August." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgifb icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Praying for home ties against lower league clubs in the Carling Cup, this really is your only chance of silverware icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough*Chester*cough*field*cough*

• 1 month later...

Anyone think it was naive defending by Vidic to give away the free kick? When you go to ground from behind on a player in that sort of area whether you get the ball from the side or not and make any sort of contact you have to expect them to go over. He could've stayed on his feet and marshalled it that way.

I'm just nit picking really.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

A bit of a surprise that Ben Thatcher didn't wu tang Ronaldo in the Manchester derby the other week. What is the minimum amount of points, people will be satisfied with away at Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if we avoid defeat in those three games i'd be very happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and quick question

if 2 of us were off to an away game and I had paid for the tickets and said "call it 30 for the coach and we're even" what would you interprit it meant? Bear in mind I paid for the tickets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me that implies you don't want any money for the ticket & only want £30 for the coach.

Unless the coach was actually something like £32 each & you meant you are happy to write the extra £2 off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Pleat > BBC

literally only used one comment for Ronaldos game all night icon_biggrin.gif

"he's dribbling too soon when he should pass"

said NOTHING else </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was just going to mentioned how astonishingly poor his commentary wass, he is absolutle guff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

anyone else going to everton undercover? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weighing up whether to get a ticket or wathc it in the pub, save myself a load of aggro and watch FC afterwards.

Will probably just end up watching it pub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>you going FC?

If so will see you there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably , only in notlob so its only a quick trip to Gigg Lane, been a couple of times this season (when united are away or play on sunday) think last one I went to was against Bacup. Should be the next best thing than going to Goodison icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Will be good with Everton in pubs before then FCs celebrations of title after icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was thinking icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I with a couple of OTFers should be in pack horse before game if you want to buy me a drink icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure which pub the pack horse is but I will be there with a couple of mates from uni (just look for someone who looks like a cross between jesus & a slim Bill Bailey icon_biggrin.gif ) I will be the one in the Factory Records T-shirt icon_cool.gif with him and if you let us know sure I'll be you a pint icon14.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

So Mart didn't go with my suggestion of pretending to be a neutral Liverpool fan who'd got tickets from a mate at work... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the idea was to avoid telling people who he really supported?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

If Hildrebrand is generally as impressive as he was for Stuttgart in the german cup final we should get him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's already agree a deal with Valencia, so you have no chance of getting him

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Irish:

I've seen a differant one of Rooney modelling. Its pretty similar to last seasons except for the AIG logo being a mre rounded one instead of the square. Where's the pic of that which was going around last week icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, when I was doing my detective work I saw that one too. With bits of gold down the side?

Thought that one looked nicer than the one posted on here tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I believe the sane people sided with Mika in that debate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mustnotgetdrawninmustnotgetdrawninmustnotgetdrawnin...

aw ffs, Ben's done his cruciate icon_frown.gif

gutted for the lad, puts in two hard years at Watford and then just when it looks he like he'll be genuinely contending for the #1 shirt with us this happens, rotten luck. SSN saying he'll miss the start of the season which is fairly obvious given the injury. will probably be christmas at the very least before he's back i assume.

Archived