The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, i'll demand that the club reprimand the player for doing it and try and crack down on it and stub it out.

I'm not going to demand that our players all be booted out for doing things that are done all over the world. Thats just ludicrous, we'll end up as a pub team. Make them realise it's not accepted at United sure, but don't boot the players out for it.

One of the rags has us in for Giles Barnes of Derby. A soon to be 18 year old midfielder. He played 20 games for Derby last season. 15 were starts, all this year. £2m price tag quoted.

Seems a strange player to be linked with but they also have Newcastle and Liverpool in for him.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "We also have the quality and experience of Ryan Giggs so it can't be that bad.

"We have youthfulness in John O'Shea — who did a great job for us last year in that position — and Darren Fletcher, so we have some alternatives in there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to cry.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I don't think OTF wants to know what Juni does with your woody.

you can take the boy out of amsterdam........ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have a scary variation on Pinocchio as well icon_eek.gif

Some quotes from a season review book by Fergie on the takeover stuff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On FC- "Im sorry about that. It is a bit sad that part, but I wonder just how big a United supporter they are. They seem to me to be promoting or projecting themselves a wee bit rather than saying 'at the end of the day the club have made a decision, we'll stick by them.' Its more about them than us."

On the Murdock campaign- "They felt they were responsible for stopping the BSkyB deal, which is not true. Absolutely not. They may have made their voice heard but they were not responsible. It was the MMC that stopped that. They carried on to the degree where they actually thought they should have a say in the running of the football club". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That last bit is a change in his opinion, wasnt he a supporter of SU, and iirc there was a big quote from him about fan owned clubs are the way forward etc. on there website or letters

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Everton, Man Utd track Hibs kid Fletcher

Manchester United are rivaling Everton for young Scotland star Steven Fletcher.

The 19-year-old Hibernian player came on as a second half substitute for Scotland under-21s against France on Friday night, a match watched by Moyes.

Kevin Kilbane's transfer deadline day move to Wigan has put another �2million into the kitty, and while the money came too late to allow Everton boss Dave Moyes to do any business before the window closed, it does provide him with scope when it re-opens in January.

The Hibs teenager can play up front and in midfield. The Shrewsbury-born player has also attracted the interest of Manchester United's scouts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another fletcher /o\

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd be ok with "cheering them on" or "hoping they win", but "support" is not even in the equation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, what? Since when is it ok to "hope they win" or "cheer them on"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't involve the word "support", and also do not imply anything more than one game on any given day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still completely unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Would any of our defenders in the last 20 years have a case for being world class? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rio scores world class goals against scousers. does that count?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

also, Vida picked up his 8th domestic booking of the season. two more before the second weekend of april (and i think it's safe to say he'll manage that) and he'll pick up a two game ban - yes, that's right, at some point before the end of the season we're likely to have Mickey at centre-back for two consecutive games. nightmare /O\*

*well, ok, it'll probably be Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont think that is correct nick i heard somewhere during the arsenal game today after the end of february you no longer banned for collecting 5 yellows (or 10 as the case maybe). there is like a cut off point apparently where the rule no longer applies. I dont know if this is correct but its defo something i heard today during the arsenal game in my still slightly ****ed state.

Saha was alot better today than last week btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Good, not arsed about Tuesday at all.

More arsed about the scouse game saturday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, league is priority.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

What odds are there on all 3 legs of the treble being decided within a week in 3 games between us and chelsea? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i said that in the cl draw thread.

potentially our last 4 games could be

chelsea (a) - stamford bridge - premier league

west ham (h) - old trafford - premier league

chelsea (n) - wembley - fa cup final

chelsea (n) - athens - champions league final

could be very interesting

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigBrother:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Competely random: Has any manager ever won ten league titles with the same team in any sport before? I know Red Auerbach won nine, and this'll be Fergie's ninth? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Red won 16 championships, not 9. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not with Boston he didn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Barcelona and Porto just escaped relegation in their CL winning seasons iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Porto don't count for 2 reasons:

1. They had the title sewn up very early and were able to rest players like Liverpool does.

2. The referees throughout the tournament basically hand dragged them into the final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kidkovacevic:

Carrick is easily the equal of Mascherano as a defensive midfielder, but he does much more of interceptions and clever positioning than hollywood tackles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm no. Infact is Carrick even a defensive midfielder. If you asked him I doubt he'd see it that way anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Fish:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1827876,00.html

Thats well worth reading.

My favourite bit is:

Once upon a time Ferguson could play 'who blinks first' with fate and win every time, his iron will shaping his destiny exactly as he wanted. Now he is reduced to uttering garbage like "it's like having a new signing" of Paul Scholes, Ole Solskjaer, Gabriel Heinze and Alan Smith, the irrational if-I-say-it-enough-it-might-happen gibberish you'd associate with a serial loser like Kevin Keegan. These days, the man they call The Hairdryer is full of nothing but hot air. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While there was plenty in that article where there was a split in here over whether he was right or wrong, that bit was pretty much unanimously agreed over. There were so many "it's like a new signing" jokes around that time.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

oh forgot:

ballack will score 15 goals

he might have tbf? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

no

nickyh said it first

Wp to him too, twas raping the forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate agreeing with you yah know icon_frown.gif

Archived