The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Well, surely it should be a case of us getting behind him and supporting him and ensure that he repays us then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, it's a case of United cashing him in for £20 million +.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Hmm, statement from Ronnie read out on SSN, seems a very definite attempt to mend some bridges. Sure it'll be up on the news wires soonish, basically along the lines of 'there are possibilities for me to stay at Manchester, there are other possibilities also but if I were to stay I would be happy, Manchester have contributed a lot towards my development as a human being and as a professional' etc etc. Not exactly a 'I'm going nowhere' but very different to his comments at the weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better.

Still probably be half arsed until we sold him though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although on second thoughts, how would we know?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

A letter to the MEN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your reporter Trevor Baxter (M.E.N., July 8) stated that Manchester City were to erect two neon signs, believed to be the largest in Manchester, before the big match against FC Porto on August 12.

It is a well known fact among football fans that City used to boast the tallest floodlights in the land, at their old Maine Road ground - not to mention the widest pitch in England, Europe and possibly even the world.

But to claim to have the "largest" neon lights in Manchester, I feel, is a little unrealistic. I doubt if there are larger neon lights than the ones at Kelloggs in Trafford Park.

Perhaps someone could check?

Pete Boyle, Manchester </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahahaha. Legendary. icon_cool.gif

That song never got the airings it deserved. It was dropped so quickly. I suppose it's difficult to coordinate, as you've got to have someone to start every verse, but it was still ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffbbbbbbbbbbb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> There is no campaign on Ferguson's part to persuade Van Nistelrooy to honour the remaining two years of his contract, however. Having infuriated the United manager by asking for a transfer - a plea which was rejected - just three days before the 2005 FA Cup final defeat against Arsenal , Van Nistelrooy's performances over the final months of last season, which resulted in him being replaced in the first team by Louis Saha, have proved the final straw for Ferguson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from todays telegraph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read that too. I think it's common knowledge that Ruud has been making noises about leaving for some time. He's hungry for more trophies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

'Negligible' is rubbish. He's not a Hughes or Smith kind of player, it isn't and never has been what his game was about. Even then, a striker like those two would have struggled when stuck upfront alone, starved of service and looking fornlornly back at a midfield in decline.

I've been to enough games where I've seen him putting the effort in, chasing down lost causes and making runs in the vain hope our midfield might show some creativity. That undoubtedly changed post-injury, perhaps as a result of wanting away, perhaps because of physical reasons, but I completely refute this allegation that he was lazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's lazy ffs. if it's not happening in the 18 yard box he just doesn't give a toss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignoring the ridiculous exaggeration, did we not know that when we bought him? Were you complaining about him being disgracefully idle when he single-handed won us the league? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

as james said - yes.

look, there's being a poacher, and there's being a self centered glory hunter who simply doesn't give a toss about what's going on unless your about to profit from it. based on what we've seen and heard for the past two years that sums ruud up both on and off the field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

absolute b0ll0cks, seriously icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Would everyone be happy with these central midfielders come the start of the season?:

Scholes

Carrick

Senna

Jones

Fletcher

Not the world's best, but a step in the right direction. They cover all bases. Scholes attacking midfielder, Carrick holding midfielder, Senna defensive midfielder, Jones Box-to-box midfielder and Fletcher as the player who can come on and show a bit of energy if we're holding on in a game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

circa 1992-4:

Robson

Ince

Keane

McClair

Phelan

Ferguson

circa 98-99:

Keane

Scholes

Butt

Fortune

P.Neville

compare. actually 98-99 (I may have forgotten someone important) doesn't look that strong in terms of depth, but having just Keane, Scholes and Butt all at their peak is better than having 5 average/good central midfielders.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I bought it on the way home from Birmingham, by the time we were out of the car park I'd read it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's just one big comic tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> WAYNE ROONEY will be told by the FA: Stop turning the air blue.

Roo is back in trouble for a foul-mouthed tirade at referee Peter Walton.

The England ace appeared to shout ‘Ref, that was a pen, you f****** cheating c***’, after being denied a penalty during Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Reading.

Now disciplinary chiefs will write to the fiery Manchester United striker this week warning him to improve his behaviour.

The abusive outburst was clearly seen by viewers of BBC’s Match of the Day.

But Walton ignored the comments and took no action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eurgh, everyone swears, deal with it, you dullard twats. I'd love Wayne to think "Feck it, this is the final straw" and quit International football

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

fergie saying in an interview that d jones and richardson are going to spend some time in the reserves icon_biggrin.gif

he seemed ****ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately not the same fate for O'Shea yet icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

I'm the only proper manc in here. Born in Manchester, live in Manchester. Flaming glory hunters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*coughs*

Born in manchester, live in manchester. And that's stretford actually in manchester, not stockport somewhere nearby icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes i was going to mention you icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lived in stockport when i was your age, so i can't really comment icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

your away results just aren't good enough in the cl. what's your record in the last 10 or so away from home?

performance wasn't that bad, just no cutting edge.

played worse at benfica and won though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree that our away form has been nothing short of **** but i thought we played reasonbaly well at benfica

Celtic captain Neil Lennon has revealed that his Manchester United counterpart Gary Neville predicted Louis Saha's late penalty miss at Parkhead on Tuesday.

The Bhoys were brought down to earth following the exhilarating highs of Shunsuke Nakamura's super free-kick when United were awarded a controversial late penalty for a handball by Shaun Maloney.

Saha took on the responsibility from 12 yards, despite missing a gilt-edged opening only minutes earlier, but he passed up the chance to book United's ticket to the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as Artur Boruc pushed his effort away to safety.

Lennon was still basking in the glory of victory and qualification when he revealed Neville had predicted Saha's miss from the spot.

"Gary Neville actually came across to me and said about Saha, 'his head has gone, he's going to miss this," Lennon said in The Guardian.

Following Saha's miss, The Red Devils need to avoid defeat to Benfica in their final game in Group F to book their passage into the last 16.

Should have done something about it then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't believe he told Lennon that at all, but if Gaz was really thinking that he should have stepped in as captain and given the ball to someone else.

Hargreaves is #1 priority for me in January or a player like him. I know we really need a Saha back up but with Rossi, Ole and Smudge i am more than happy at the moment.

And as much as i dont want Bent at 22 he would be a pretty good option to have on the bench/in the squad for when needed or Saha gets injured. I dont think we would get him cheap enough to do that though.

• 2 weeks later...

keep your nerves, ffs. We won't finish third, it doesn't matter how much of a stride the skaus get in, they're too far behind. ditto arsenal.

Will we win the league? Probably not, but the next few months are going to be interesting. A mark of our credentials will be when we visit Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. I do think we'll do okay, i'm predicting 7 points from those 3 and if we're going to stuff up, history teaches us it will be against the likes of Watford, Sheff Utd and Reading because he thinks he can piddle with the team at vital parts of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well two points dropped away from home, not ideal, but not a disaster either. It happened today and its going to happen again between now and the end of the season with the fixtures we’ve got coming up and we’re just going to have to reconcile ourselves with that.

Of most concern was the general lethargy in our play for long periods. While this trend can be seen in a number of our away performances this season, part of that can also be attributed to the to the disruptive schedule endured by all teams at this time of year. Even so we should be heading back to Old Trafford with 3 points in the bag.

Scholesy was clear MOM for me after two goals and a lot of good work outside of the two strikes. I’m currently undecided about whom I should give second place…maybe after I’ve finished this I’ll have a better idea.

VDS made one fantastic stop from Sibierski, but was otherwise untroubled bar the two long-range efforts that went in really. Milner’s was unstoppable and the deflection took that young left-back’s shot well out of his reach so he’s not culpable on either count. GNev and Scholes respectively probably both get my votes for AFFG just for being the ones that failed to get in the way effectively.

I wonder whether the injury Gary is carrying is hampering his mobility because he was slow to turn when Milner went inside to strike and he wasn’t effective as an attacking outlet really today, so pretty average from the Captain today IMO. Rio was relatively composed and did his best not to allow Sibierski to intimidate him physically and I was relatively pleased with him when he was marking Martins as well. Decent day for him I thought. Vidic on the other hand had a few of those “why are you diving in moments?†coupled with some stellar stopper work when we allowed Newcastle to gain momentum. Evra generally sound as well; got a couple of strong tackles in and got forward a few times as well (but less than he could have).

Scholesy’s work doesn’t need description. Fletch didn’t seem to be working in as high a gear as he was earlier in the season today for me but still did well on the ball bar 2-3 moments where his composure let him down and did more than most of the other midfielders to get beyond the front men and provide us with options. He had faded by the time Fergie brought Carrick on, who incidentally looked like he was going to be playing much further up than he usually would and was bright without making any real impact. JSP was hit and miss today – lots of endeavour but his technique let him down at crucial moments, which was a pity. In levelling that charge however, Giggsy can’t be exempt, except in his case his decision making let him down for me. Not that enamoured with the performance of either to be honest.

Saha looked bright before he went balsa on us so I’m disappointed that he had to depart. Hopefully it’s not serious. As for Rooney, the boy needs, god I don’t know what he needs because he’s just not there. We’re carrying an exceptionally talented player because of a misguided notion that we can’t afford to drop him (although arguably until now we didn’t have the options) despite the fact that he’s making very, very little by the way of end product.

I can only guess that he’s still feeling the impact of playing his way through last season, getting injured, being rushed back because for the English World Cup campaign *chortle* he was meant to be the ****ing messiah, starting the season then getting his momentum pegged back because of suspension and playing non-stop since he came back really. What we need to see from Fergie is some of that highly prized managerial judgement. Give the kid 10 days off so that he’s available for the league game against Villa and raring to go when we head to the Emirates at which point we’ll probably, best case scenario, only be 4 points ahead. Hell its worked for Ronaldo’s form in the past.

The added bonus to resting Rooney being that we can supplement Ole with the use of Larsson and more importantly Rossi in the FA Cup next weekend. Well that’s what I’d do anyway.

Okay so for MOMs I’m going with…

MOM: Paul Scholes m’lord he scores goals…

2ND: RIO! RIO! RIO! Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

christ, kneejerk reactions ahoy tonight \O/

we were sh*t. we're through. Fletcher wasn't that bad, Wes was equal measures good and awful, Richardson is holocaust but we all knew that. Ole and especially Saha big positives, big Edwin looking good again, into the next round, cheer up you miserable moaning c**ts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big whoop, Saha did his job icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no-one can win with you can they? icon_biggrin.gif

i give up. don't understand you moaning bastards, a near-complete reserve team got us through with all our key players getting a rest ahead of the Liverpool game and yet it's like a meeting of haemherroids R us in here.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

haha nick, just how much did you edit him by? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

phfft. that whole part of the game is shafted, i've had decent teams saying that about Richardson </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott's in charge of it. What do you expect.

We've got more chance of the FA Cup than the league, tbf.

Simply can't believe how blase people are about the league. There's approximately a quarter of the season to go, we've effectively got a 6 point with our closest rivals away still to come. We haven't turned in a convincing performance in about a month, we're beset by injuries up front (with the exception of Rooney, who's woefully out of form), and our small squad is set to be stretched even further with our continued involvement in three competitions and additional meaningless friendlies. Our remaining league games incorporate some tough away fixtures against top half sides (not to mention a potentially crucial fight-for-your-life derby) alongside home games against recent 'bogey' teams. Meanwhile, Chelsea continue to steadily improve, with squad players stepping up to the plate and important first teamers coming back from injury ready for their easier run in.

Without coming over all Mika, they're back as marginal favourites in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Mart's going to have him for breakfast icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1st, 2nd or 3rd course?

icon_wink.gif

Archived