The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Silvestre isn't a bad crosser. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not consistent though.

Same with his crossfield balls. Can sometimes be fffffb.

I'm just going back to page 66, as i've been offline all weekend, and that's where i'm up to so far.

My first favourite player was the awsomeness that was Steve Coppell.

And a late entry on the 'bad dad's' stakes. Mine's from Glasgow, which must get me at least top 3?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

He talks about football, which admittedly I dont know a lot about </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i just took it that i must be missing something about Richarson when i heard he was in the england team. Martin just reminded me so much of C. Ronaldo though, in terms of skill, build and general play. I cant wait till he's let loose on Paul Telfer in the first old firm game next month!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

He's average as far as I'm concerned. Obvious you lot are going to think different, no need to come running to our thread to try and defend Riise's honour repeatedly is there really? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not defending his honour, its more just saying you're completely wrong. I'm more outraged by your opinion of Aurelio. I've already seen enough to suggest he's better than Riise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you seem desperate to try and convince me Riise's actually qg when that's not going to happen. Not sure why it seems to be bothering you so much? You lot rate Momo, a glowing endorsement of any player after that is hardly going to change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Then 3/4 of the way down page 6 icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Get Carrick on for O'Shea. I forgot hos bad he is. Rosicky lines up a shot and O'Shea doesnt even bother to close him down.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wentand I'm sure Nick, Mart etc went. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not the best game really was it? still... good result to keep the league games going before the big game against salford and the vase game on saturday.

ohhhhhh fc united, hic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's have a Vidic love-in:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Vidic on trophies

Sunday, November 26, 2006

'Nobody set any goals in front of us, that we have to win the Champions League and the Premiership. But we are all aware that we play in one of the best clubs in the world, that half of the world is watching us on TV and that our success is measured by trophies. We are on the right path and it is a golden feeling.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Pompey captain on Vidic

Dejan Stefanovic:

'He will go in every challenge for the long balls and he can play football as well. Believe me, he can be even better and people will see that. He is a young lad and he is a good character. He is the sort of player who can score goals as well and he will be a big success for Man United.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Former coach on Vidic

Goran Stevanovic:

'Clemente (present Serbian coach) should go to church and light a candle every morning praying for the health of Nemanja Vidic.'

'Some people in Manchester might consider doing the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Vidic on Fergie

'The start was hard for me.'

'I arrived having not trained for 40 days because in Russia the season was finished. Also, injuries caused problems for me - these were difficult days and months. But I learnt so much.'

'Every day for each of us he sets aside a minute or two, to talk and ask if everything is OK, how it is at home, if we need any help. His advice helped me very much.

'He was patient to wait for me to improve while I was a bit unstable in the first team. He was saying to me, "Don't be upset, take it easy, everything will be OK." He was like a father to me and I want to repay him.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fergie on Vidic

'We've done well there.'

'He has that mentality of the proper, really authentic defender. Watch Vidic in training, and he'll batter Louis Saha and then pick him up, as if to say, "This is my job, this is what I do." I'll be yelling from the touchline, "Watch the tackling, watch the tackling," and Vidic will shout, "Sorry boss, sorry boss." But he's not sorry at all, he just loves defending.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

The weird goal celebration explained

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER United stars pretend to fire ROCKET LAUNCHERS in their wacky new goal celebration — inspired by a computer game they play against rival Chelsea aces.

The players shoulder their “weapons†as if in a Sony PlayStation scene.

They drop to one knee and raise open hands in line with their shoulders — just like characters in the game SOCOM US Navy Seals.

Stars of both teams compete regularly against each other by playing the game online.

A club source said last night: “They are deadly rivals at everything and computer games are no different.

“It’s combat on and off the pitch.â€

The on-pitch ritual — which has baffled fans up and down the country — was first seen at Old Trafford last week, when United beat Everton 3-0.

John O’Shea scored the third goal, ran over to fans, dropped to one knee and raised his hands to the rocket-firing position.

Last Saturday Rio Ferdinand ran over to United supporters at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium and repeated the routine with Darren Fletcher, scorer of the winner in their 2-1 victory.

Chelsea’s John Terry and Frank Lampard were among the first to take up the computer game challenge with Rio and Wayne Rooney at an England international get-together.

In the online version of the game players take over the role of a US Navy Seal — one of the most elite positions in the US military.

The aim is to lead a team of Seals and prevent the US being attacked.

A Sony spokesman said: “John Terry’s agent has been on the phone begging for the new version of the game due out early next year.

“We sorted some of the Chelsea lads out with an earlier model — and also some of the England players.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fffffffffffffffb icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hate to think they're having 'banter' with such arseholes as terry and lampard tbh

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ladle:

bit concerned that Chelsea have gone through their blip, whilst we haven't yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that comes when we play the tricky away games..

Chelsea should still be favourites for the title. I'm tempted to have a bet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Saha > Saha Haters

God I feel like a less justified Mika icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What goes around comes around etc icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lille still want Giggs goal to be disallowed

Lille have announced they will appeal against UEFA's decision to throw out the club's protest about the validity of Manchester United's winning goal in the Champions League last week.

UEFA disciplinary chiefs rejected a complaint from Lille, who argued Ryan Giggs' quickly taken free-kick - which secured a 1-0 win for the Red Devils in the last-16 first leg - should not have stood.

The European governing body also charged Lille's players with improper conduct, after the French side threatened to walk off the pitch in disgust at the goal being awarded.

Lille have now said they will appeal against UEFA's verdict.

A statement released on Lille's website, www.losc.fr, said: 'President (Michel) Seydoux and the board of LOSC have decided to appeal against the decision made on Friday by the European authority.'

Lille are complaining that referee Eric Braamhaar should have blown his whistle before Giggs took the free-kick that ultimately won the match for United at Lens' Felix-Bollaert.

Goalkeeper Tony Sylva was left stranded as the quick free-kick curled into the corner while he was lining up his defensive wall.

'The true question is to determine how the Mancunian players came to take so quickly the free-kick that led to the goal, as they showed signs of a different intention,' added the statement.

Lille refer to quotes attributed to Giggs after the match, which appear to say it was the referee who suggested the Wales winger take the free-kick quickly.

The statement continued: 'Following these principles, LOSC have therefore taken the decision to go through with a fight that seems correct to them.'

Lille also claimed last week that Braamhaar 'warned the kicker he should wait for his whistle before restarting the game' at every other free-kick apart from Giggs' match-winner.

The French club also reiterated their players were not attempting a 'walk-off' when they made their way to the sideline moments after the goal was allowed to stand.

Seydoux at the time said the team were merely protesting against the official, but added that 'it was not an attempt to get the game abandoned'.

The statement continued: 'The players thought that, as is the case in French rules, the objection should be made ... at the next stoppage of play following the incident.

'At no moment did (coach) Claude Puel have the intention of making his team leave the pitch.'

Lille claimed they had not been told UEFA affords clubs 24 hours to make a complaint after a match.

Lille could also face charges of breaches of security and safety regulations with respect to last week's game.

United believe a tragedy was only narrowly averted after some of their supporters became crushed into a section of the stadium.

Lille have pointed the finger at United, claiming their early distribution of tickets allowed high-quality fakes to be produced.

Damien Vanoise, the head of security at the Felix-Bollaert, has accused United fans of sparking the problems by 'violent behaviour'.

United will answer the allegations in a report to UEFA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, there's 'sore loser'. And then there's Lille.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

We didn't learn anything tonight that we didn't already know for me.

Wow, three jammy wins in a row, we're on a roll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

playing that badly, no matter how many first teamers are out the side, is not good build up for the next 2 important matches.

and the jamminess quite clearly ends here. if we even play 1/100th that badly on Saturday we'll get creamed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking I might go up to Manchester anyway for the West Ham game. Scout the touts, get an idea of the prices, and if they're just too much then sit in a pub and watch the whole thing, and get royally wasted afterwards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Man Utd stay top of wealth league

Manchester United have been named the most valuable team in the world, by Forbes business magazine.

United (£740m) retained top spot ahead of Real Madrid (£528m) and third-placed Arsenal (£466m) who nipped ahead of AC Milan, with Chelsea (£274m) in eighth.

Barcelona's Ronaldinho (£15.2m) leapfrogged David Beckham (£14.8m) to become the highest earning footballer.

However, Beckham's lucrative move to Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy was not taken into account.

Five of the players in the richest players' list ply their trade in the Premiership - Wayne Rooney, Michael Ballack, Thierry Henry, John Terry and Steven Gerrard.

United no longer command the largest yearly revenues, with their £158m surpassed by Real Madrid (£191m), Barcelona (£169m) and Juventus (£164m).

Forbes' most valuable football clubs:

1 Man Utd £740m

2 Real Madrid £528m

3 Arsenal £466m

4 Bayern Munich £427m

5 AC Milan £420m

6 Juventus £289m

7 Inter Milan £282m

8 Chelsea £274m

9 Barcelona £273m

10 Schalke 04 £240m

11 Liverpool £231m

12 Lyon £175m

13 Newcastle £132m

14 Tottenham £124m

15 Roma £114m

16 Hamburg £112m

17 Man City £106m

18 B Dortmund £101m

19 Ajax £100m

20 Celtic £94m

21 Everton £84m

22 Marseille £80m

23 West Ham £79m

24 Rangers £75m

25 Aston Villa £71m

Highest-earning players :

1 Ronaldinho (Barcelona) £15.2m

2 David Beckham (Real Madrid) £14.8m

3 Ronaldo (AC Milan) £11.7m

4 Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) £8.7m

5 Michael Ballack (Chelsea) £8.7m

6 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) £8.2m

7 Zinedine Zidane (ex-Real Madrid) £8.2m

8 Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid) £7.6m

9 John Terry (Chelsea) £7.1m

10 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) £7.1m </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

all is well, wp glazers

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

who did we buy? carrick? kooshack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but we bought, yes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we sold rvn and mikel, we ended up 3m in the black, so unless we can do the same this summer then no </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cobblers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our net outlay on transfers is still hugely lower under the Glazers than the PLC. You can shout cobblers all you like, but until we see them put their wallet where their mouths are, we're going to struggle.

For all that Carrick has improved the team, we're still more than anything this season a better team for having Scholes back, Ronaldo stepping up a level or two, and still at least a season too late in replacing giggs in the first XI and improving the squad depth (Richardson still starting games being the case in point).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

My mate applies for every game with mine and his memberships (well he has been since February when I could go again) without asking, so any game is a bonus. He doesn't know if he's got one yet though which is a bit of a nightmare, cos he drives us up. So if he doesn't get one he'll be taking mine and going on his own icon_frown.gif

If i didn't live so far away I'd try the Sheff Utd games etc, but to have to take time of work, drive up there and back, spend all that money to watch a game, which to be fair, was never going to be a classic it makes it tricky.

You saying I should apply for the CL Semi final just because I didn't go up last week? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he is pointing this out as a perfect example of the shambles of the ticketing system that is in existence. Basically you shouldn't really get a Milan ticket and he should because he makes the effort to go to more games.

He is right though, he should have got a ticket through the ballot system and you probably shouldn't have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

And no, I can't understand what I wrote there either.

Just SO gutted that I couldn't become the first person to retain the MIUA icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could be in with a shout again next year.

I mean, from where you are now, there's an awful lot of scope to go for it again.

The 'red devils' bit on the kit makes me very suspicious as to it's legitimacy. We've never really play on that as a nickname - unless of course it's inclusion is based on a misguided attempt to 'Americanise' us even more icon_mad.gif

Squad numbers - my pro ev game has Anderson #10, Nani #17 and Hargreaves #23 with Richardson languishing as an unregistered player. As it should be.

Archived