The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Just remember guys. This is the guy who YOU voted as your non-Man Utd user of the year icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but we've already established that all the awards were a bit of a joke this year. icon_frown.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Eric Predicts A Bright Future For United

Eric Cantona believes United will win more titles than Chelsea over the next ten years.

Cantona, who won four Championships during his four-and-a-years at Old Trafford, was the catalyst of United's decade of dominance and the Frenchman is backing the Reds to return to winning ways at the expense of rivals Chelsea.

Eric, talking exclusively to United Magazine, believes that United are planning for a brighter future, whereas the Blues are looking to buy immediate results.

“I’m sure United will come good. They are building a team for the future whereas Chelsea are building a team for today and maybe the next one or two years,†he admitted.

“Year after year they will buy player after player after player and sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t. I think you are stronger when you build a team or a generation of players who can play together for ten years.

"That’s why I believe United will win more Championships than Chelsea in the next ten years, I’m sure of that.â€

Eric also paid tribute to the men at the helm of both clubs - Sir Alex and Jose Mourinho.

“They are both winners and psychologically very strong," he explained. "That is very important in terms of the influence they have on their players and the way in which they deal with the press and the provocation from the press.

“They are both very good at knowing what to say, when to say it and why they need to say it. That can be very important, perhaps even as important as the way their teams play because when they say things the media attention is on them and not the players so the players can play without pressure.â€

The full interview with Eric, in which he reveals his desire to one day manage the Reds, is in this month’s issue of United Magazine which is out on 1 July.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Goodwin:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

He did what he did for his country, club didn't come into it.

Wayne Loony for the headlines tomorrow icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im expecting "Roo Idiot" tbh icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have a tenner on 'Boy Blunder'

Maybe it is just me, but I really can't see where the defending of Ronaldo has come from?

He has blantantly acted on pure selfishness against memeber of his own football club who pay his wages. He did it to Rooney and he did it to Gary Neville. If he thinks that all is going to be forgot and forgiven when the season comes, then he is still very immature and that is just something that we don't want.

If he is still at our club at the end of August, I am personally going to hunt him down and shoot him on his doorstep. Yes the guy showed where his heart may be, but winning games in that manner doing something which you shouldn't have got involved in was just plain idiotic and something which many people, including you lot have wanted to stop/be cut out of the game.

Rio, Gaz, Rooney and Ruud shold take it in turns kicking the crap out of him in training now, especially if it turns out he might be leaving the following week or something.

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Evra never signed afaik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're wasting your time. He's banned, he can't read it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

zlatan = inter also apparently

buffon = milan or barca

bojinov will stay at juve

Meh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But omgz, have you even seen them play?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

what happened to all the theories that abramovich and his cronies arranged the moves for tevez and mascherano and so they basically controlled the contracts? all crap? because that was quite a widely held belief for a lot of people and I don't see chelsea just letting you take a player of his quality if they have any control over the matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MSI and Roman links are tentative at best. Yes there could be a significant chance that they will not allow us to sign Javier or Tevez if they exist, however if those two were in Roman's pocket I would have thought they would have sent them to PSV or another club in Europe instead of to Corinthians, as (no disrespect to the Brazilian league) they are not going to learn anything there that they hadn't learned at Boca/River or couldn't learn in Europe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

unless msi were handing over some backhanders as "loan guarantees"

I do agree that both of them need to move on, I think even paulo would agree to that

Good luck sealing the Carrick deal, I think you're over-paying for a pretty mediocre player. Perhaps playing at a higher level and in a better team will see him develop his game sufficiently, but he's done almost nothing in his two years at Spurs to convince me he's worthy of the hype or the cash.

He's a nothing player. Give him plenty of time on the ball and he'll pick out a decent pass but he lacks the incision and forward thrust to be effective. When you get a side that gets stuck into him, he has a tendency to go missing. And without someone alongside him in a Gattuso-esque protector role, I think he might prove pretty impotent, especially in the big, physical games.

He's still pretty young though and obviously people like Jol and Fergie (who probably know a tad more than me) see a lot of quality in him so he might well prove me wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard Tappenden:

is there any live coverage tonight? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On MUTV. Im very annoyed its not on their live stream though :/

To blaine, yeah I just heard it on MUTV, Carricks also getting number 16 and has completed his move icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yes to Hargreaves but i cant see it some how.

And Adriano, yeah like we have £30m+ and if we did i wouldnt be happy splashing it on Adriano when we could get a really good central midfielder and winger with it instead.

As things stand i am very happy with our forward situation at this moment in time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Ryan is freakishly skinny tbf. At the football meetup I feared for his life after seeing how small he was comapred to some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

No it really doesn't. At all icon_biggrin.gif

O'Shea >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> joe_cole >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SBA >>>>>>>>>>>> * >>>>>> Ashley Cole >>>>>>>>>>>> Wenger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fowler >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Benitez >>>>>>>>> * >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> O'Sullivan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I KNEW IT

Scouse-sympathiser icon_mad.gif

Worse than Bling

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Plant the seed of doubt and pessimism and watch it grow icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coincidentally, that's what Keyser said to his missus at the moment of conception icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and she fell for it, too icon14.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Chelsea ticket has been sold, I sold it to return favours from last season/this season for not just me but for other OTFR's as well Jonny/Jules and if you don't like it then tough ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can understand why he was ****ed off originally when you were swapping it rather than offering it, but why has he still got the hump if you apologised and let him have the ticket anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

well a 4-4-2 hasn't resulted in us being 0-2 inside fifteen minutes for at least a few weeks so i can understand acou's complaints?

who's to say 0-1-4-2-3-1 wouldn't result in us being 87-1 at halftime? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually seriously, please tell me what there is to complain about at this very moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that we were abysmal and approached the game in the completely wrong way?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

So guess that means we'll line up like so for Tuesday:

VDS

Nev

Evra

Rio

Gaby/Wes

Ronnie

O'Shea

Fletch

Giggs

Rooney

Saha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'll clearly rest Giggs imo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not so much the defeat itself (though I'm annoyed by that too) ... it's the sense that Fergie really doesnt have any idea why it happened and perhaps hasnt even noticed the problem that we've been conceding quite a few late goals recently. That's what worries me.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Martin cheered the Richardson goal btw (before he knew it was an OG). Slowly becoming everything he hates.

He even got off slightly early at halftime today so he could 'go for a slash'. He came back smelling of steak bake tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The more severe of the two imo icon_mad.gif, when it went in I just sat there with my head in my hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think I heard you booing on the TV actually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif, nah just do that for him & O'shea when their names are read out at the start, during the match I just go the direct route and call them a ****ing disgrace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Keepers with the best games to clean sheets ratio in prem history.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Clean sheets Games Percentage

Peter Schmeichel 129 310 42

David Seaman 141 344 41

Nigel Martyn 137 372 37

Mark Bosnich 77 206 37

Tim Flowers 85 286 33

Thomas Sorensen 79 258 31

David James 141 470 30

Shay Given 84 312 29

Mark Schwarzer 84 291 29

Ian Walker 77 310 25

</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is there a minimum games played qualifier for that? Cech should be on that list quite comfortably if just going by %age. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reina's kept 36 clean sheets in 64 prem games. 56.25%

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Our squad just isn't good enough. We all knew we'd be screwed with a few injuries and now we've got them.

It didn't help that a lot of the players were thinking of Milan though. As was Fergie considering Richardson started and Giggs was on the bench. Surely the Portsmouth game tought us that Giggs will not save the day when dragged off the bench. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go-Go makes a good point to this but i'll say it too.

How is it a sign of a weak squad when Silvestre, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic & Evra are all carrying injuries.

You can't account for 5 out of 8 main defenders all being injured at the same time. They don't call it an Injury Crisis for nothing.

How many defenders at first team level should we have in the squad to ensure this doesn't happen? 10? 12?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

fo mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The alternative answer to ali's question was "sidesaddle", but i thought that was too obvious even for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Anybody else feel sorry for David Platt now every time he's on SkySports?

Every single time, you get Keys bringing up the fact that although they're the club he supports, that he never got to pull on the jersey at Senior level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do. I really felt for him today, he seemed so happy that we were champions and then Keys asks for his opinion by saying what you said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived