The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In recent months there have been a number of unsubstantiated reports on whom Sir Alex Ferguson desires to purchase and who he wishes to place on the market to acquire more funds. What you’re about to read is confidential plans for Manchester United set up by Sir Alex, David Gill and the Glazer Family. Firstly can I say that, Utd fans are going to be amazed by this report your about to read, like myself when I first read it.

The document stipulated that Manchester United will announce a Press Conference at 12.00pm on Friday 14th July 2006. Sir Alex will be present along with David Gill, Bryan & Joel Glazer. The Conference will be held for 45 minutes in this time David Gill will

Start off presenting the new home Shirt sponsored by American International Group (AIG), David Gill will then go in to detail about the design. Once this is over David Gill will hand over the Conference to Joel & Bryan Glazer, who will then turn to the press and in typical American Press Conference fashion (meaning over the top and having the shock factor) say ‘I would like you all to welcome the new members of the Manchester United family and out will walk the new players, to the shock of the press entering the room will be Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso in the new Manchester United home shirt. David Gill will then say that they hope this will reassure the fans and that there summer spending is not yet over, David Gill will then go on to say that they have 3 to 4 more potential signing. Sir Alex will then go into detail about the transfers, contract lengths of each player and why they have signed each player. Fans who think that this is just a fan writing this report and what you have read and about to read below is very suspicious and strange behavior for Manchester United are wrong as this is what the Glazers are known for in America, the Glazer family are renowned for there strange approach towards the press and straight to the point, over the top conferences. The report I read also had some names of the other potential signing that David Gill stated earlier in the press conference, those names were Franck Ribery, Juan Roman Riquelme, Rafinha, Rafael van der Vaart, Joe Cole, Simao and Klass Jan Huntelaar. Now next to the player called Klass Jan Huntelaar, written was January 2007. so I can only presume that they are signing him in the January Transfer window. Then Sire Alex will let the press ask questions, once this is over Sir Alex will then go onto say that they have also signed Kerlon Souza from Cruzeiro Fc and that with them unable to acquire a work permit, Kerlon will go straight on loan to Racing Santander Fc for 2 seasons and that they have the promise of Racing Santander coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro, that Kerlon will play at least 15 games in each season that he is there. Then nearer to the end of the press conference there will be more questions from the press and then Sir Alex will talk about the upcoming season, he will go onto to say that Ben Foster will be the new number two goal keeper and Gerard Pique and Guiseppe Rossi will be heading to West Brom on loan for a season.

Press Conference Over." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wouldnt say that players from teams like juve, fiorentina and lazio are 'bargain basement' type players. cheap yes, but they are all high quality players who will more than likely add something to the squad!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

We're playing 4-6-0 in an attempt to snatch a courageous draw against the superstars of the Kaiser Chiefs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giggs and Scholes are playing up front.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

saha will get 25 at least in all comps this year i reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think he'll stay fit for that long? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, his injury run has to end sometime.

doesn't it? icon_frown.gif

he never really had that many probs with injuries before he joined us iirc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

We're getting half the Mikel money up front, the other £6m next year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost all transfers are like that. I expect we'll be paying set part of the Carrick fee over 2 or 3 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Mongteva icon_biggrin.gif I swear someone did it the other day on here when spelling Mascherano. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was me

"i don't misspell masherano" icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United have reportedly offered NEC Nijmegen the chance to sign midfielder Chris Eagles on loan.

Fellow Red Devil, David Jones, enjoyed a productive spell with the Eredivisie club last season and Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to be keen for another of his young charges to build up their experience.

Eagles is no stranger to the loan system having played for both Watford and Sheffield Wednesday last season as he helped The Hornets to promotion along with Old Trafford team-mate Ben Foster.

However, reports in De Gelderlander suggest that Eagles may not be too enamoured at the prospect of moving to Holland with NEC.

One player definitely on coach Mario Been's shortlist is NAC Breda forward Leonardo Vitor Santiago, as the 23-year-old Brazilian has a testy relationship with his current boss Ernie Brandts.

Been knows Leonardo well from his time at Feyenoord, and NAC technical director Earnest Stewart is expected to talk to the player on Wednesday after initial dialogue failed to yield fruit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Gill just on SSN, giving absolutely nothing away on any signings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

also completely forgetting the Celtic friendly in preseason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oliver:

oshea had an average game and didnt **** up. fletcher was awful for the first 45, and rivaldo for the 2nd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the way I saw it, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Umney:

KJH to sign in January? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, please start getting your hopes up for january now :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As City fans we've got every right to hold a grudge against them coonts.

Ring a bell??

H-T scores: Aston Villa 0-2 Coventry City

Manchester United 0-1 Derby County

Cov: Oh fook, we're going down anyway.

F-T: Aston Villa 3-2 Coventry City

Manchester United 0-1 Derby County </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FINALLY we find out why he hates Utd so much icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Where were you mate? Tier 2?

I thought it was top notch till half time, least where I was

follow follow follow, cause United are goin' to Glasgow, they'll be thousands of Reds and they'll be pished out of there heads cause United are goin' to Glasgow \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in tier two of the east stand right next to the new quadrant.

Never heard the follow follow follow chant once tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

General News items

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Torres wants Man Utd move in January

September 18, 2006

Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres wants a move to Manchester United.

In return for Torres signing an extra year's deal, Atletico agreed to substantially mark down the buy-out clause - effectively giving United the green light to wrap up a deal early next year.

Even though Madrid ideally want around �28m for the hitman, it is thought United may get him for about �22m after the youngster agreed to give the Spanish club one more season.

Although Chelsea and Arsenal want the striker, Torres has privately told close friends he's only interested in going to Old Trafford.

A source close to the player told the People: "Ideally, Fernando would like to move in January but he realises that is unlikely now so he will wait until the summer.

"Playing for United is a prospect that really excites him." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a bit of positive news

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Van der Sar axed after Fergie row

September 18, 2006

Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar was reportedly DROPPED for yesterday's defeat by Arsenal.

The Sun says United boss Sir Alex Ferguson dropped Dutch goalkeeper Van der Sar after a row. Fergie was upset with Van der Sar's public criticism of United's defence after Wednesday night's 3-2 win over Celtic.

Ferguson handed a debut to Tomasz Kuszczak yesterday, who gave away and then saved an early penalty before being beaten late on by Manu Adebayor.

United insists Van der Sar missed the game with illness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The press as usual trying to stri anything/everything about united

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Keane raps Man Utd midfield: Someone should have clattered Cesc

September 18, 2006

Sunderland boss Roy Keane says Manchester United should have clattered Arsenal midfield whiz Cesc Fabregas during yesterday's 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford.

Cesc was allowed to run the show and Keane, working for Sky Sports, said: "It was frustrating to watch with the result going against United.

"F�bregas was outstanding but I felt there could have been more tackles on him in the middle of the park. I would like to have seen someone hit him a bit earlier in the game.

"What will disappoint the manager was losing with 10 minutes to go. He would have been delighted with a draw before the goal.

"Ronaldo will be criticised for giving the ball away that led to the goal but he is young and learning. The manager and his team-mates will remind him of what he did."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keane :*********)

• 2 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

sheffield united arguably the worst premiership side we've played in a decade </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steady on icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liverpool this season clearly the worst

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Rooney or Ronaldo will pull something out of their arse </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely Ashley Cole will be more likely

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> [19] King Dong

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

"Honestly speaking, I don't know anything about going to Manchester United. Nor myself, nor my manager has been informed officially about this. My focus is still here and playing this season here. I want to help Antwerp win the title. I have been here for a long time and playing in the second division is an experience I am unhappy with. Antwerp deserve to be in the top division. But as Manchester United are my club, I have little choice in the matter. I expect I'll be going to Manchester. I believe I will be there next week to train on Thursday. I am assuming that is what is going to happen." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like he can't wait to join us.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Smith: It's good to be back

Cristiano Ronaldo may have earned all the plaudits after United's 1-0 FA Cup win over Middlesbrough, but it was Alan Smith who left Old Trafford sporting the biggest grin of the evening.

The Reds' striker made his first start of the season at Old Trafford since recovering from a broken leg and dislocated ankle sustained just over 13 months ago and impressed throughout his 70-minute run-out.

The 26-year-old forward says he is delighted to be back playing again in the first-team, and after the game paid tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson, who has been influential in his recovery.

"It's always been my aim to get back to the Alan Smith I was before my injury and the gaffer has been brilliant by giving me time to do that," he told MUTV.

"I think I would have been forced back into action early at other clubs and made to suffer in front of everyone who would be expecting my performances to be up to previous standards.

"It's been refreshing to be given time and the Boro game was a great occasion for me. It's what I've been working towards."

Smith admitted to feeling nervous before the quarter final replay against Gareth Southgate's side, in what was his first start at Old Trafford since December 2005.

"I had a few extra butterflies when I was walking down the tunnel, but I also had a big smile on my face too! Sometimes when you've been out it's difficult to get into the flow of games, but the lads told me to just go for it. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I want to show that to everyone

"Playing games for the best teams with the best players is what being a footballer is all about," he added. "And I know that at Manchester United I've got the opportunity to do that.

"There has been a lot of speculation recently over my future but that's never been in doubt between me and the club. I'm proud to play for this football club and hopefully my performances will show that."

The victory over Gareth Southgate's side mean United will still be fighting on three fronts when the players return from international duty next week. Smith is relishing the challenges that lie ahead and is hopeful of helping United secure at least one trophy between now and May.

"To be part of a team like ours who have a great chance of winning some silverware is fantastic," he beamed. "That's what I've worked so hard for. Hopefully when the difficult times come I can be one of those players who can come in and do a job for the team.

"There is a great spirit amongst the squad and all the lads want to win. This club sets very high standards and hopefully we can reach those standards."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif Smudge

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

bbb, nick and coldberg look down on everyone from a great height aswell. Makes me sick to the core.

Mon semi final tickets icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oi, i can't help being a foot taller than all of you. c**t

i must walk past bling's pad on the way to OT every game :*)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not a chance in hell I'm paying £300 for a ticket though. I'm probably going to get the train to Wembley and spend the day up there though - i'm sure they're be plenty of Reds hanging around and eventually heading to pubs to watch it icon14.gif

My train stops at Wembley Stadium every morning :*)

as a general point it's fair enough. this summer will be tedious enough without loads of 'player x would be an awesome signing' on the back of a few newspaper headlines and some fine FM performances.

not that that's what PJ did, but you could see why it would look like that originally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">John Terry saying 'with our injuries and other problems we've done really well' followed up with 'no excuses'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah we know what he really means icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

They're all dives anyway mate, it's CLEARLY all about I&G / FS and plush Canary Wharf offices. Although it's fairly immaterial anyway as in the year I was there I spent, oooh, say 15 days in the actual office. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a working year for Nick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you think i'd get employed in an office? icon_redface.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't think you'd get employed at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSB:

Regardless, I can't see Anderson encountering any problems. Brazilians are generally given more leeway due to their success in major competitions and consequentially having fewer qualifying matches to compete in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you're saying that its been the case historically (Juninho to Boro was a successful case iirc) but that final element of your point about the qualifying matches doesn't apply anymore does it?

Unless Blatter has done an about face and I've no heard about it the defending champions of the World Cup don't qualify automatically any more do they?

Obviously the Euro Championships have never had that dispensation for the winners & the Copa America doesn't have a qualifying tournament.

Anyway the point is that, even though there aren't floods of South American's who don't have the requisite European passport playing domestically at the minute in general, it is at least going to go by the ability level criteria more than anything else for Brazilians and Argies if they don't have enough caps.

Not that it matters anyway, I'm just being pedantic with what you said, so sorry. Like you, mark and Nick have all stated, a player of Anderson's ilk isn't going to be denied a work permit for long. The only reason they haven't had to cap him yet is because of his age, his national team commitments at youth level & they haven't had a major senior tournament to build for until now. Worst case scenario we loan him back to Porto for a season. No real sense in uprooting him from a CL playing team that he's already a part of, and it probably makes space for Rossi to stay for definite.

Archived