The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and this from the ever so slightly unconvincing talksoccer.net...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United agree deal for Torres - Report

Manchester United have agreed a deal with Atletico Madrid for striker Fernando Torres according to reports from Spain. The Spanish striker will join the club for an estimated fee of £24 million.

Torres made his debut for Atlético de Madrid in the Vicente Calderón Stadium on May 27, 2001, against Leganes and he scored his first goal for the club the following week, in a game against Albacete.

In March 2006, the Spanish striker said it was confirmed to him by Atlético chiefs that Newcastle United had made a bid for him, which was subsequently rejected.

At his first ever appearance in a FIFA World Cup Finals match, Torres scored with a spectacular volley helping Spain beat Ukraine. In the second group match Spain rallied from a 0-1 deficit against Tunisia to win 3-1.

Torres scored in the 76th minute for Spain to take the lead 2-1 and then again from a penalty kick in the 90th minute. He was subsequently given a much-needed rest in Spain's third group match against Saudi Arabia, entering the game only to substitute José Antonio Reyes in the 70th minute.

As Torres walked onto the field the crowd roared with excitement, showing just how popular he is among Spanish fans. Having managed to score 3 goals in the tournament, Torres is one of the leading goal scorers in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. He was also the first player to score 3 goals in the tournament. Torres started the round of 16 matches against France, but after initially taking the lead, Spain went on to lose 1-3 and were knocked out of the tournament. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done deal then icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Don't talk about goon like that Ali. icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I make it a rule to never talk about goon.

Damn. Except then icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

None of us were moaning about how lazy or uninvolved he was back in 2003. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

another bid rejected for that gay keeper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rejected £2.5m.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I was utterly enraged at the easeh chanting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, I recorded some to moan about later, I shall upload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair play to the Fulham fans chanting easeh after they scored. :D

Some **** behind me had the cheek to talk about how the Fulham fans were ******** for chanting Easeh despite being 4-1 down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not getting irony /o\

Hmm, was it Malcolm?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cristiano Ronaldo has expressed his gratitude to the Manchester United supporters for backing him this season after being targeted by the boo-boys amongst opposition fans.

Although the media have been quick to portray Ronaldo as the villain of the piece in Wayne Rooney's World Cup sending off, the United fans, as expected, have offered the ex-Sporting Lisbon starlet unequivocal support.

The pantomime booing of his every touch looks set to continue for the foreseeable future but it is not affecting the 21-year-old at all.

"It's something that will happen every time we play away from home, but I remain calm," he told A Bola.

"I concentrate on the game and, as soon as it starts, I tell myself that it's nothing to do with me. I try only to think about the match."

Ronaldo is delighted to be receiving the continued support of the United fans.

" to let them know that they have a special place inside me," he declared. "I wanted to thank them in a special way for all the support they have given me, particularly in this game here, and to tell them I am Manchester [united] through and through - in my heart and soul." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

come one Ronaldo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody else notice his acknowledgement of the "Only 1 Ronaldo" chant at the beginning of the Fulham game ? icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

To try and chart individual end product? I don't think it tells the whole story but I don't think its useless ore stupid either.

Didn't Taz try and do the whole 1st phase/2nd phase assist thing last season & abandon it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did and for the reason that some obscure games that arent shown live like the carling cup will most of the time only show the last pass and finish to a goal and not who passed to the man who made the assist.

show me where its been denied </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

on DSF TV so I can´t produce a link, but I´m sure it will be up shortly

I don't believe the AIG crap either. Even if it was true, the club wouldn't be telling Senna that.

I think Senna is definitely the 2nd choice, and Fergie must have said that he prefers Hargreaves. It makes sense to do one deal at a time, but they have got the timing and sequence very wrong. It seems that the Senna deal could have been concluded when Hargreaves discussions were only beginning.

• 1 month later...

Oh.dear.me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TBF his dancing is better than his footballing

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

'are you the guy on the internet?' icon_biggrin.gif

person standing next to me must have thought i was some kind of weirdo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He doesn't normally ask that question with my mum about icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

We lose Wakey, then gain Ronaldo_1977 (1997 more like it), we never catch a break.

Bring back rand, all is forgiven! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you say that as if they are different people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Everyone in the world seemed to become a Liverpool fan that night.. even some fellow United supporters... urgh

I was the ONLY one in the pub not happy about it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i felt ****ing sick that night. still remember to this day, walking out onto the balcony and shouting out CUUUUUUUUUNT at the top of my voice into the night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

oh, and a LOT less than £12m icon14.gif Like £5m

Lets face it, we ain't gonna get Torres, have to pay Ajax a MASSIVE premium for KJ Huntelaar and Villa will go Chelsea. Having Jermain (even though he's inferior to Saha) will still be a step closer to, dare I say it, attacking depth?

He's not worse than Smith. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the United transfer policy nowadays.

'Is he any good?'

'Not really, but he's marginally better than the shyte we've got at the moment.'

'I'll take him! Here's £18 million.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're right, but I'd sooner pay £5-£12m for a back up like Defoe than blow another £30m on someone like Veron who won't fit in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, if we could get him for anything anything under about £8 million I'd go for it.

£12 million for a back up seems to stretch it a bit though. We'd do better to take a punt on a young un like Fryatt or Ashley Young than spank that on someone to be used primarily off the bench. We're not Chelsea.

Has a striker replaced a midfielder in our January transfer priorities then?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Yes, Chelsea could find a new level," said Ferguson "They could get worse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fergie icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so much better at the mindgames than Mourinho

Well after Everton capitulated and pulled a Tottenham vs. Chelsea last season, meaning that Chelsea have managed to grind out a victory against Newcastle and come from losing positions against Arsenal and Everton in the last 3 fixtures, and we let the fates conspire against us to lose to an Alan Curbishley managed West Ham side who were nothing more than very up for it. Typical.

I'm really struggling to pick MOM candidates today. VDS made 1 very good save in particular but I think he should have done better at his near post for the goal. GNev didn't have the best game for me, attacking or defending. Rio allowed himself to get out muscled too many times by Zamora and Harewood, and Vidic was pretty rash now and again for me. Gabby had a great start but after he nullified Bowyer they just sent everything down the left.

Midfield let us down badly today really. Ronaldo was the best of an underperforming bunch but even he made a couple of glaringly bad decisions when it came down to picking a final pass or shooting, ****ing up our last roll of the dice free-kick being the most annoying with everyone in the box ready to at least try and get onto something.

Rooney didn't get anywhere near involved until about an hour into the game and even in the last half hour he didn't really get into it. Saha did as much as he could with the chances he forced for himself but I fail to understand why, even with his aerial ability, we increasingly tried to pump the ball in the air towards him and Wayne when they couldn't get a real shout against Collins & Ferdi Jr.

None of the subs got on the ball or did anything worthwhile to merit praise either. Other than not get injured. At least thats a plus with Ole and Park - O'Shea (why oh why did he bring him on? icon_mad.gif)

Anyway, a wasted opportunity all round really.

MOM: Saha - Just because he made his own chances when no-one was making them for him and and testing the keeper.

2ND: Ronaldo - just for being the only other outlet even if his decision making wasn't there in spades today.

And to top it off I've just come back from a footy quiz, we lost by one point, and what was one of the 7 questions out of 40 my mates and I got wrong and that I was personally responsible for:

How many trophies, not including Charity/Community Shield wins, did Manchester United win in the 1990s?

Its 14. I said 13. icon_frown.gif

Anyone feel like hazarding a guess at which one I missed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

"i don't play for any particular team. I play for the idea of moving to madrid" </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

fo ruud. mercenary twat

• 3 weeks later...

that was the most obvious result ever. im nowhere near as bothered as i would be normally as it seemed so certain.

everything that could go wrong is at the moment. loss of vidic utterly massive, desperately missing neville going forward aswell, same for evra.

no idea why we played that side but there you go. its not completely over yet, some massive games coming up. we HAVE to win at everton and chelsea have a potentially tough trip to wet sham. problem now is that they will be utterly convinced we have blown this and our best chance is definitely us winning every single game as opposed to relying on them dropping points. arsenal have rock all to play for and will do us no favours, guaranteed.

fun while it lasted and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The vast majority of tickets will be allocated to the two competing Finalists; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

interesting. hopefully means WSR's source was wrong, although it wouldn't unlike the FA to be talking sh*t. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>WSR got it off RI i would guess as i saw it on there

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I think we should just jump past the counting part and award it to Ronaldo and Scholes, it'll be them anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww, let me have my fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

No, I just hate why everyone thinks everyother manager has to always have a hidden message.

Mourinho could come out and say "I love BBB and Nick and am going to give them £1m each" and the reaction on here would be: "Now they can't buy themself the title they are trying to buy themselves some fans as well icon_mad.gif" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, I'd take the money cheers

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

actually. England probably arent going to use Carrington at all now are they with moving back down south? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dunno, this game is in Burnley so they might be. looked like Carrington when they showed clips of training earlier but they never officially said. regardless, McClaren let him miss training today.

UNITED THREAD PLAYER OF THE YEAR 06/07 IS...

CRISTIANO RONALDO. was hardly going to be Ruud tbf. someone stick it on his wiki page with the others.

some consolation for Vida is that he picks up the inaugural Cult Hero award, narrowly beating Ole Solskjaer and John O'Shea into joint second, with Paddy Evra third.

Archived