The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

would hargreaves be the ball winner or the complimenter/passer? ie gattuso or pirlo-esq role? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The former, in other words the type of player we need more than any other at the minute.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LutonNil:

W is 2 defenders, 3 midfield, 5 up front

M is 2-5-3

Old school </div></BLOCKQUOTE>no, just no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

worked in 1922 icon14.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I understand the point about having exciting players in the team but we still need a striker that will hold the ball up, win the ball in he air and who can score goals. We just can't afford to spend £20 million on a player just because he's a big name.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakey06:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dayle Wood:

Manchester United are poised to bid for Brazil and Inter Milan striker Adriano as Ruud van Nistelrooy's replacement. (Various)

30 mil is the number being thrown about... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juventus have confirmed that they've sold Ibrahimovich to Inter so Adriano might well be on the cards.

If it happens, it will be interesting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about double post but linkage.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=408949&CPID=21...ter+land+Ibrahimovic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Haha Acou how much t.v do you watch ffs? icon_biggrin.gif I can't remember hardly any quotes from the Office and I only watched it Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Acou is the master of TV comedy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

They never have done before but it wouldn't surprise me to see them issuing 'half' season tickets around christmas time like so many other clubs do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm working then (should be) may well go in for one of those if they turn up.

• 1 month later...

btw, don't know if it's been mentioned, but for me more pleasing than us being top is the fact that this time last season, we were ten points behind Chelsea, so there's been a thirteen point swing.

if we mess up this year, Fergie will have to find a new excuse as the old chestnut of 'we didn't get out of the blocks well enough' has been banished this time.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I have a feeling Lampard is going to get injured tonight. I hope its long-term if my senses are correct. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well jinxed. cue a long-term Rooney injury now \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Bizarre that the first penalty claim wasn't given, given some of the free-kicks that were given for lesser aerial chalenges later on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was thinking while I was watching.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

At least we'll still be playing European Football after Xmas this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a friendly?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United have secured a work permit for Dong Fangzhou, ending a three-year wait to bring the China international striker to England.

The 21-year-old, who signed from Dalian Shide for £3.5m in January 2004, will head to England next month.

Since signing for United Dong has been on loan at Belgian feeder club Royal Antwerp, during which time he has won seven caps for the China national side.

"The boy has a big chance," United manager Sir Alex Ferguson told MUTV.

Dong has made a few appearances for United on a couple of pre-season tours

The striker will be one of seven loan players to return to Old Trafford in January.

Lee Martin and Phil Bardsley will come back from Rangers, along with Chris Eagles (NEC Nijmegen) and Giuseppe Rossi (Newcastle), plus Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson, who have been playing with Dong at Antwerp.

And on Saturday Ferguson will welcome new arrival Henrik Larsson ahead of a week's training before the Swedish striker begins his 10-week loan spell at Old Trafford next month. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definately no Huntelaar then icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

sorry, my no one else gets close comment is completely misguided.

Choccy, Yorke, Nicky Butt and Waz. wp guys.

haha rvn was a good player for us but in terms of influence on the club so many better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah because it's his fault (despite a goal a game record) that we didnt win the CL or whatever

please

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ronaldo this season has basically performed in a way that we all knew he was capable of, but on a far more consistent basis. for me, in season's prior he drifted too much and was never really the match winner he can be.

this season he's improved such that i cant think of a more exciting player in europe at the moment and that includes the likes of ronaldinho

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Nemanja Vidic and Cristiano Ronaldo will go head to head when Serbia host Portugal in next Wednesday’s Euro 2008 Group A qualifier.

They are just two of a plethora of United players linking up with their national squads this week. The tally would have been much higher had Gary Neville, Darren Fletcher, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Louis Saha and Mikael Silvestre not suffered injuries.

Neville misses England’s matches against Israel and Andorra through injury, but if his brother Phil plays in both matches then the pair will surpass Sir Bobby and Jack Charlton’s record as the most capped brothers for their country.

Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick and Ben Foster are in Steve McClaren’s squad for the crucial Group E qualifiers. While in the Under-21s, Kieran Richardson will be one of the first players to experience playing at the new Wembley as England face Italy in a friendly on Saturday.

Jonny Evans, excelling in a loan spell with Sunderland, has been called into Lawrie Sanchez’s Northern Ireland squad to face Liechtenstein and Sweden.

John O’Shea and Darron Gibson, on loan at Royal Antwerp, are involved for the Republic of Ireland’s matches against Wales and Slovakia. The Irish pair could face Ryan Giggs for Wales on Saturday at Croke Park, before John Toshack’s side face San Marino the following Wednesday.

Edwin van der Sar has ruled himself out of Holland’s qualifier against Romania on Saturday. He is still suffering from a calf injury and will be assessed again before next Wednesday’s clash with Slovenia. Tomasz Kuszczak, who has deputised for the Dutchman in United’s side, is in Leo Beenhakker’s Poland squad for their games against Azerbaijan and Armenia.

In friendlies, Ji-sung Park will feature for South Korea against Uruguay, while Dong Fangzhuo will lead China’s front line against Australia and Uzbekistan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronnie coming up against Vida, slightly worrying

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Didnt realise Rio apologised so much for kicking the ball into the womans face. Commentator on FF saying hes just gone into the crowd to apologise in person 10 minutes after he hit her. Thats after apologising a few times with the hand every few mins. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he didn't go into the crowd. he did come over loads though and had a laugh with her at full-time.

talking of full-time, god i hate the way people leave early in situations like that. the team have worked their arses off and played a blinder, they deserve a full stadium applauding them off. 'koff part-timers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are 3 or 4 arabian (i think) guys behind the bench and have season tickets i think (every home game same spot so i guess that's the reason) and i always laughed saying "Oh look at the Taliban watching the game" but today around the 91st minute tv pictures showed the bench again and there they were the taliban still there, not leaving or anything, and singing.

And i realized that it's wrong to make fun of them cuz they aren't part-timers icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

wait a sec, smith and ole are injured???

fergie's blatantly going to play rooney on the wing like he ALWAYS does in europe, so if fletch can fill in in midfield or o'shea fills in there and someone deputises at right back we could play smith upfront on his own?

aw man im starting to get the nerves </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not injured, but hardly match fit.

Fergie didn't trust Smith for relatively weak Premiership teams, I doubt he'll trust him with Roma.

Ole's the Richardson alternative I'm hoping for.

• 3 weeks later...

Seasons Highlights:

5. Giggs , Scholes and Neville still performing at the highest level and getting better.

4. O'shea vs Liverpool - just brilliant!

3. Ronaldo vs Fulham

2. Scholes vs Villa - great goal!

1. 7-1!

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smirky:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibLibertine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

so this basically means we will be playing 4 2 3 1 next season, i guess saha/rooney/smudge up front with the 3 being nani/giggsy/anderson/rooney/ronaldo/scholesy/park and the 2 being from hargs/carrick/scholesy/fletcher.

I'm quite wet. TOTAL FOOTBALL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be more like...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Hargreaves/Carrick Scholes/Fletcher

Ronaldo/Park Anderson/Rooney Giggs/Nani

Smith/Rooney/Saha </pre>

Something like that I rekon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giggs and Rooney other way round, surely? Also Rossi must be accomodated, please god let him be accomodated.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, it would be Giggs played through the middle. Not got the legs to play down the flank no more I don't think.

I would expect Rossi could play through the center or even down the wings. Either way he does need to be in the squad. Think he'll be a brilliant player in future.

Eddie's got Mart's back, Jonny now BRICKING it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah when I don't turn up to the wall next season it's not because I am too ashamed of my behaviour it's because I have died in a horrible 'accident' icon_frown.gif

The thought of Eddie hugging Martin is going to have me waking up screaming tonight though icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I've gone so far OTT with my opinion on Ruud I'd actually struggle to remember what my real opinion is on the subject.

Probably a simple 'we all did OK out of it' will suffice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always meant to ask you what you actually thought on the subject icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Just a flying visit don't worry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

Stick around mate.

Archived