The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by only one keano (robbie):

You mugs are going to be loving Carrick within a couple of months of him signing for you, even though we are ripping you a bit if the prices being quoted are to be believed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ripping off the big clubs is great though

SWP icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Heinze would’ve done the same. He’s a United player but he loves his country more than United. He certainly loves his country more than England. I’m amazed that England fans always seem to think they’ve got a monopoly on patriotism and ‘putting your country first’. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This part is a bit pathetic. "He certainly loves his country more than England." well no ****, is this meant to stun people? rile England fans or what? so pointless. And yea, England fans think they have a monopoly on patriotism. Hate being handed out for the sake of it here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbf, I think it's a fair point. To most sane people, it's an obvious statement and easy to interpret as a pointless dig, but let's face it, to the moronic hordes of Sun-readers out there, it's something they seem to be forgetting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Whenever England lose there’s always got to be a scapegoat. Ronaldo fits the bill perfectly: young, cocky, flash and a United player to boot. Perfect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This part though is vomit inducing. Just makes me want to slap him and tell him not everyone thinks of Man United all the time?

the seige /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) I don't think it's pure siege mentality. Fact is (occasionally justified, often not) the press love nothing more than a Manchester United controversy. And that is a fact, it's not some big-headed blinkered view - if we could get less press b0llocks around the club I think most of us will be delighted, but it's just the way it is. Manchester United sell more papers than other clubs, unfortunately.

b) Siege mentalities are ****ing ace anyway icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I've said it before. Manchester United, as a club, do not panic buy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you tell 'em liam miller </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes because Liam Miller was a panic buy when we got him months before the deadline even opened </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Haw, just walked down the tunnel at OT icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I don't care about him wanting to leave, I don't blame him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you'd say the same thing about his pre-05 Cup Final transfer request? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would, he was 29, entering the latter years of his career, no longer had the top supply from Beckham and Giggs, now only Ronaldo and Richardson, having no realistic prospect of winning the league/CL in the next 3/4 years (imo anyway), and has no childhood love for the club or anything. Also he'd pretty much carried us for 4 seasons, from his position I can understand him being a bit disillusioned with the direction the club was heading and wanting to go.

Like was said a while back by someone, if we had a team purely based on people who loved the club then we'd just have Gary Neville, even Scholesy would sod off to Oldham.

As I speak, pictures of Ruud in Madrid on SSN now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that he's not prepared to stay and work at it are why i'm glad to be shot to be honest. With the right players brought in then we could quite easily challenge for the Champions League just as much as Real Madrid, in the same way that Porto & Liverpool had the same chances.

The fact that he was asking to leave as early as 05 is the real reason for the massive fallout between him and Fergie in my opinion. Fergie saw him as a disruptive influence and as a player who didnt have his heart in the fight.

We need players who are fully committed to the club if we're going to have even a sliver of a chance of challenging for major honours anymore, if he wants out, then feck him, glad to be shot of him.

Great servant to the club and all that, but i'm not going to get emotional about him going.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like a draw against some decent teams tbh. We struggled last season against teams that sat back & defended. With the attacking flair we have shown so far I would rather we got teams that wouldn't be afriad to come at us a bit.

Also a decent away trip would be nice so somewhere I havn't been yet icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

yeah, think most of us are now.

though Ryan's been made to sit in East T2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Made to by the ticket office, or did you lot insist?

Naw, I left a meaningless friendly early, we scored 2, NickOGS20 and Mika persuaded Juni to give me a "funny" status, hence the part timer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It didn't take much persuading tbf.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

AIG dont like blacks ffs. I've already pointed this out, chamone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt they like flash gits like you either mister diamond earring </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh damn ponce icon_mad.gif

(i like it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you would ffs

Yeah, lets all laugh at me because I was wrong.

Meh, I realllllllly don't care about losing my karma status, tbf I'm more annoyed that we've signed 2 players and not got a Ruud replacement yet icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

So how much would the most expense season ticket cost? Just wondering how close thier prices are to ours as it doesn't seem to be much different </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

South stand in t'middle is £741

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Man utd should release some sort of statement setting the record straight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he threaten to score own goals if he didn't get a transfer?

• 2 weeks later...

For and against Ferguson dying:

Good points

1. It stops all the talk of transition / future retirements etc

2. It prevents our owners from having to make a decision they’re not qualified to make

3. We’ll get loads of sympathy

4. It’ll be something to bond the players / fans and everyone else at the club..badly needed at the moment.

5. The legacy will be tarnished no more

6. It’ll buy the replacement some time

7. We’ll get to see loads of clips of the good times

8. No Fergie in retirement unable to keep his gob shut

9. No more Fergie fawning over the Glazer’s and utterly betraying his so-called beliefs

10. WIN IT FOR FERGIE!

Bad points

1. Carlos as caretaker

2. See point 2 above – can we trust the Glazer’s to make the correct decision?

3. SGE

4. I’d feel a bit sorry for Cathy

5. Is there room for another statue?

6. The mourning will all be a bit too scouse

7. He’s actually a rather fine manager and the best man for the job?

• 5 weeks later...

That's because it wasn't icon_biggrin.gif

There was a change to the lineup above, Cathcart came in for Jonah. Got there after KO, took me a while to realise.

Decent turn-out wasn't it? Lots of LUHG banners, flags, singing, good to see the police telling the stewards that the fans weren't doing anything wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

32 year olds with even less pace than the tiny amount they used to have and an even BIGGER media circus due to their 'fairytale' return icon14.gif

That'll strike fear into the hearts of Chelsea and Arsenal. 'Oh no Beckham, the final piece of the jigsaw...' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Ali speaketh the truth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42240000/jpg/_42240404_rossigol_pa.jpg

:*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The look of pain on his face suggests his hamstring has just severed itself clean in two icon_frown.gif

Goddamn the striker curse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Rumour is Carlos is going with Lippi coming in as the new #2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

never gonna happen

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ?:

So hang on here, just reading SS live commentary:

Ronaldo comes on

Ronnie scores 2 mins later

Ronnie misses a penno 2 mins later

Ronnie scores again 2 mins later.

WTF? icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was the rebound of the penalty he put in for the second, hth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Ole put some effort in though, he's just clearly not up to it pacewise anymore, but he tried. Saha just looked disinterested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought you liked that in your strikers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ooooooooooh

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

All this talk about squad strength in defence is due to signing Vidic and Evra last January and they've gone on to be first pick of course.

However, doesn't this make you think that why aren't we also trying to sign squad players of a similar level in midfield? Both the above were already internationals with other clubs interested, yet United shelled out the money. We're to believe that there are funds available. Hargreaves is a good player and I'd love to see him at United, but aren't there other decent midfielders out there?

It just seems a bit strange that 2 defenders were signed so quickly and easily when the midfield area was in more desperate need and since then only Carrick has joined </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the time people knew we needed to strengthen the Midfield. A lot of people, including people in this thread believed the defence didn't need strengthening.

As a result, it would have put us in a better position. Other teams wouldnt have been expecting bids for defenders so we were able to get decent prices for them before they were hiked up.

• 4 weeks later...

Rooney should not be up front on his own, or on the wing. we really need to play 4-4-2, with Rooney playing in his best position. If Saha isn't fit, we should go with Smith, and let Ronaldo and Rooney play with the freedom that they have in the Prem.

Can see a dull 0-0 or 1-0 defeat.

tbh I wouldn't mind going out at this stage, if it means we get the league and beat the rent boys in the FA Cup final, and if the Scousers don't win the Champs League.

I really hope we’ve left the spectre of recent lacklustre European performances in the past and take them on in the first leg with the intention of killing it there. The Milan players are well conditioned regardless of how old some of them are but playing a strong pressing game against them will make them uncomfortable so long as we’re not wasteful in possession.

They have experience and savvy among the majority of their players which is a big plus point for them, but with Ronaldo cup-tied and Inzaghi/Gilardino/Oliveira all having hit and miss seasons so far Milan’s striker situation is only marginally better than Roma’s and if we can endeavour to subdue Pirlo and Kaka, the latter in particular, then I think we can find out way through their defence.

Good news on our Ronaldo signing a new contract. Should prevent the rumour mill from pursuing this over the summer (although that may be a tad naïve and optimistic on my part) especially with a lack of high profile international football to keep player performances at the forefront of everyone’s mind and the media from stirring things up. Of course what it does do, working on the premise that United stories sell papers, is put the potential “Hargreaves Saga†front and centre again for us, but then maybe Liverpool’s new money and internal power struggles at Chelsea will dominate the back pages. Ideally we’ll get through the summer with very little buzz surrounding who we’re signing until they have signed on the dotted line.

Incidentally, have any of our pre-season plans been announced as yet? Can’t remember if I’ve missed any news on it.

Also, are all our remaining games going to be televised? Was just looking at the fixture list and the k.o. times and I can’t see one that I wouldn’t put on the TV except perhaps the Everton game on the 28th at 1245pm, and even then I don’t really get why that one would be moved to that time of day unless it was going to be broadcast since I can recall any issues with the Goodison Park fixtures recently that would require a lunchtime start. Regardless of that what it does do of course is help us out as far as extra recovery time for the second leg at the San Siro goes which will hopefully be a positive. Actually looking at it again the Boro fixture a week on Saturday comes under that category as well since it’s a 515pm k.o. What’s the point unless they’re putting it on Prem Plus or SS1?

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dips:

A rumour on a Spurs forum is that you've offered Richardson and some cash for Defoe but it's been turned down, though you haven't been told that Defoe's not for sale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it was a player we actually wanted, i'd say we had a hard choice. raise the cash, or lower the cash and keep Richardson.

As it is, we should go for plan c, which is they keep defoe and we give them Richardson anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived