The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Even if we get £25m, it'll still be 'meh' if we don't buy a decent replacement in this transfer window. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we should ask 30m plus if we're honest. madrid are the kind of idiots that would pay that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

speaking of which, I've somehow missed, what's going on with Miller? Is he back with us this year or still out on loan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pictures posted the other day seemed to indicate that he was taking part in pre-season training and I've not seen any links suggesting that anyone is in for him.

Just out of interest, despite the fact that he's commonly criticised as being just not good enough, how did he perform whilst at Leeds last season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seem to remember some good reviews :/

Not that I care.. he hasn't got even close to the quality we need.

So I guess we'll be seeing him in the team for that first game against Fulham /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snooky:

RVN to Real rumour

Fergie blatantly filling La Liga with Ronaldo's enemies to make him stay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha, the press conference hasn't started yet then icon_cool.gif

And it's not a rumour, it's pretty much done.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamonWattsok:

I take it you all know it's gay pride week in Amsterdam while your there? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Martin seemed to be asking about it in the other thread.

• 2 weeks later...

unitedrant usually ranges from the mildly amusing to the downright wrong, but this latest article is quite pertinent really:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Charton away, Watford away, Tottenham Hotspur at home - three games that have the potential to define a season. With the squad shorn of its main goal getter of recent seasons (van Nistelrooy), its current talisman and best player (Rooney), its premier creative central midfielder (Scholes) and its biggest summer signing (Carrick) these fixtures represent a true test of the Reds' title ambitions. Win all three and the fans might dare to dream, lose a couple and the bubble of optimism brought about by Sunday's first half dismantling of Fulham will drain away. United can continue to make the just point that El Blanco Pele shouldn't have been sent off in the first place, but the reality is that the ban now stands.

It will be a test not only of the squad's depth, but also of SAF's ability to get the best out of the available resources. Will he opt to re-unite Giggs and O'Shea in the centre, hoping that they can reproduce the performances of last spring, with Park and Richardson providing the width behind Saha and Ronaldo? Might he take the chance to blood the precocious Rossi, or reinstate a proven performer in 20Legend? There are some big decisions to be made in the coming 10 days, but there appear to be enough permutations to preclude picking The Scottish Player in a starting berth. Thank heaven for small mercies. It is to be hoped that the so called fringe players step up to the mark and stake claims for regular first team action this term.

As fans, we should not expect United to destroy the opposition on these two London away days. It is first week of the new season and it will be the first home game of the campaign for the teams of messrs Dowie and Bothroyd. The fans will be pumped up, the players keen and optimistic - there is no worse time to play these sorts of clubs, just ask Liverpool after their trip to Bramhall Lane at the weekend. Come December, when the realities of mid to lower table mediocrity have returned home to roost, these sorts of away days get easier - they will expect to lose, not hope to win.

Let's hope that Charlton and Watford 'have a go' at United - if they want an open 'run and gun' game the Reds' extra quality both at the back and in the final third will prevail. If however they opt for a cautious approach, United should take any sort of win and move on. An ability to grind out results away from home in relative adversity is much more the mark of potential champions than thrashing weak opposition at home.

There is a passage in Roy Keane's autobiography that should be pinned on the dressing room wall tomorrow night and on Saturday afternoon. The gist of it is this - remember you are Manchester United, go out and assert your supremacy in the first hour of the game. Win every 50-50, retain possession, make them work and run, grind them down. Eventually, the extra class will tell and they will crack - take the chance to score and make them chase the game. Once they come out and play, keep your discipline and pick them off on the break.

These were the values that underpinned the club's dominance of the game c. 1993-2003. They require that every player knows their job, concentrates and plays with passion and confidence. United will need leaders on the pitch in the next two games, men who know what it is to go to places like The Valley and Vicarage Road, do the business and take the points. So - Gary, Rio, Ryan, set the example for the others to follow. There is also a great responsibility on Cristiano Ronaldo in the coming fortnight. No one doubts his ability; he now has to prove that he has learnt how to exert his will on games. He has the chance to be United's match winner and inspiration in the absence of his nemesis/best mate. By shining in the face of predictable adversity he would demonstrate his continued commitment to the cause.

If United has twelve points from twelve by half past seven on September 9th everyone will know that the Reds are to be feared again. And fear of travelling to Old Trafford used to make a lot of teams roll over and die.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Fletcher bashing is unnecessary (even if he is a bit gash) and our trip to Watford clearly won't be the first home game for them, but otherwise it's not far off.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Couldn't get rid of my ticket at work today so unless anyone on here wants it I will sell it once I get to the ground.

3 seperate people at work said they were going to watch it on tv instead. Not eve ngoing to the pub to watch it... Sitting at home on their own icon_biggrin.gif

Their loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you think i am watching it ffs.

Cant watch it at club as it will be one of the other games, Arasenal probably.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

So yeah, it's Liverpool - City today.

What's the abbreviation again? loiarcp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

adalorcp \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nikos:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Who said Evra can't win a header icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still not done it without fouling though. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's heading in the right direction at least. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i vote we get elmonzo to go back and check the mood of the thread around the end of august. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There must be someone with nothing better to do, and loads of time on their hands.

Nick? Mika? You there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am, I can remember the mood anyway, fight for fourth all the way.

Well where to start? absolutley bobbins tactics selection with the 4-5-1, I mean when is Ferguson going to learn that we just don't have the players to play that system. Awesome header from Vida, so quickly becoming my player of the season. Ronaldo was hit and miss all night for me, somethings he did really well and some things were just rubbish, although thought he did well for the Gigg's goal and his cross was superb. Good header from Louis seeing as the defender was all over him and was pulling his shirt. Atmosphere wasn't too bad in East stand, apaprt from one idiot who kept singine "Rooney, Rooney" whenever a united player touched the ball and some stupid **** who was blowing a bleeding whistle all through the match.

Must say one of the funniest things last night was Mart's text after we had scored:

"Awful ***** should **** off and watch Chelsea. Dire crowd" icon_biggrin.gif

As for which aways I would go to:

Barcelona - Would love to get them to make up for missing the final in 99

Inter Milan - Been to Milan before but would love to go again

PSV - Wouldn't mind getting these, with them being the worst team still in the competition in my opinion.

Roma - not really

Real Madrid - same as Barcelona really would love to get these, can see both games being amazing.

Lille - Wouldn't mind going as I missed the last time you lot went.

Porto - Another Portugese team, but hell I would go, although they did look good in the group stages.

MoM: Vida

2nd: Rio

Honorable mentions go to Wayne who worked hard even if not much came off, Ronaldo for his build up play to Gigg's goal and Saha who again worked hard but was manhandled by the Benfica defence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

We're doomed tomorrow btw, our last two Premiership defeats have both been on days when there has been a snooker final, and there is one tomorrow. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention all of our defeats this season have been live on super Sunday and against teams from London. icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AllStar4:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

3) i think if we win the cl fergie might retire and i dont want that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie would mull it over for a few days and the thought of winning it a third time would bring him back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much why i think he wouldn't go.

I actually think he'd want to win it enough times that the club have won it and the league as many times as Liverpool have.

A fella I know gets 4 tickets for every game through Wes Brown (don't ask - that's what he tells me) and that's what he sells them for. Dunno if he'll sell to people he doesn't know though.

There's probably 15-20 people who want each game but me and Fat Dave get 1st refusal on his spare two. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> EIDUR GUDJOHNSEN may be out with the Nou and in with the Old this summer by joining Manchester United from Barcelona, writes ANDREW DILLON.

The Iceland striker is one of the leading names on United boss Alex Ferguson’s shopping list to fill the gap left by Henrik Larsson.

Fergie reckons he could get his man to leave Barcelona’s Nou Camp for Old Trafford for around £8million.

Ironically, Gudjohnsen quit Chelsea for Barcelona last summer to take over from Sweden veteran Larsson.

Gudjohnsen, 27, is one year into a four-year, £70,000-a-week contract with Barca but has found his appearances limited.

He scored 16 goals in his last season with Chelsea and Fergie has been a long-term admirer of the striker’s playmaking talents — as well as his eye for spectacular goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

For Carter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">after a net asset valuation of £286.8m - value of the Stadium, Carrington, 'Players'

the goodwill generated from the deal comes to £522.4m - added benefit of the brand

depreciating by £39.2m a year over 15 years. - goodwill is sometimes written off over a period of years as it is not a clear definitive asset

Interest payments on debt of £598m totalled about £85.2m in the 14 months between May 1 2005 and June 30 2006 - self explanitory

divided between £27.2m from cash flow - that portion of the interest payment came from the cash generated by transfers from Manchester United to Red Football

and £57.9m in high-yielding payment-in-kind notes. - basically deferred payments, we'll pay this later at a higher rate

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking at these figures - it seems the majority of the debt is still assigned to Red Football and not Manchester United Football Club, which means we're run like Arsenal at present, as all there debt is swallowed up by Arsenal Holdings plc instead of Arsenal FC. This means the club will still post profits each year, but the main focus should be on Red Football accounts. It will just be down to how much of the profits Red Football want to reinvest in the club, and how much they want to move over to Red Football to service the debt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ferguson fears Boro will target Ronaldo

Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he is "fearing the worst" as Manchester United face Middlesbrough at Old Trafford on Saturday barely a month after their bitter FA Cup quarter-final replay exploded.

James Morrison was sent off for a scything late challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo who was running down the clock after his controversially earned penalty had decided the tie.

Middlesbrough captain George Boateng later warned Footballer of the Year-elect Ronaldo, 22, that he was in danger of being badly hurt if he continued to frustrate opponents with his displays of showboating.

Ferguson insisted last night there is no question of resting Ronaldo for a grudge match in which United can extend their Premiership lead over Chelsea to six points — at least for a day.

However, he admitted: "I’m fearing the worst about what could happen because we’ve got important games coming up and I don’t think Middlesbrough will mess about.

"There is a bit of paranoia about the boy and I think they will be aggressive. The most important thing is to express ourselves in the normal way, play our football and hope that takes us to the win we need."

Ronaldo is widely expected to pick up the PFA Player of the Year award at a gala dinner in London tomorrow night and Ferguson added: "Would we leave him out?

"No, simply because we want to win the League and we want the best players on the pitch. I will play my strongest team.

"I don’t think what was said will bother Ronaldo, but I’m quite surprised that the FA didn’t write to the player [boateng]. It was really provocative and sets up a different tone. But it’s up to referees to control the game."

Ronaldo was cleared of diving by Boro defender Jonathan Woodgate who made the tackle that led to United’s penalty winner last month, but angry Morrison punished him for playing out time.

Ferguson said: "Doesn’t every team winning a game 1-0 with a minute to go do that? Ronaldo, fantastic player that he is, is prepared to hold the ball at any given moment in any tight situation because of his skill.

"He wants to hold the ball and attack defenders, that is what he is in this world to do. It’s then up to the referee to decide whether players are kicking or fouling him.

"We had a few bad tackles the other night. Sheffield United showed determination and aggression and they tried to intimidate us a little bit with their tactics, but we held up to it. It’s not as bad as the Sixties."

United increased their lead to six points with that 2-0 win on Tuesday but it was cut to three again the following night when Chelsea beat West Ham 4-1. With five matches to go, Ferguson made it clear where his priorities lie.

United face Chelsea in the FA Cup Final on May 19 and could meet their fellow Champions League semi-finalists in Athens four days later.

Ferguson said: "You set off for the season hoping you’re going to win a major trophy. With an immense amount of work, we can win three. But if we win the League, then I’ll be quite happy with that.

"The luck we need now is to keep this group fit for the rest of the season. If we do that, we’ll have a real good chance.

"I know Jose Mourinho has prayed we get injuries and we got them. We’ve done him a favour that way, but hopefully no more."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Running Total: 5

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

theis - 92

alilaw - 89

Nezell - 87

14AlanSmithifb 85

Hero of the day - 83

vanester 82

T!mbo - 80

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

julesMUFC - 71

ajw2255 - 70

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

davidbowie 63

Ryno - 62

ACou2000 - 60

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

ericcantona7 - 55

mark g 52

keyser - 50

player_65 - 46

SLO_Fila 43

Taz Devil - 41

Saha - 39

Master Blasta - 32

EmmYouEffSee - 29

RedBlood - 26

qwerty2k - 17

Razor Eddie 16

? - 15 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

ouch. head hurts.

Hargreaves at Carrington this morning apparently, good stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would that be for stuff with us, or for stuff with England though?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good experience that though icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

roll on rossendale (a couple of miles from there) icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

what about anderson? he was suuposed to complete his medical last weekk, and yet nothing was said. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

passed it, just going through the work permit procedures (will initially get refused and then we have to appeal).

Archived