The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

They even come down on us at all, G14 forms its own competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the fact that we're part of G14 that i'm concerned.

Platini could see it as a perfect opportunity to show the "small clubs" as Lille has put it, that he will not tolerate any favouritism towards the G14 clubs and is prepared to punish us just as equally for breach of the rules.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

They even come down on us at all, G14 forms its own competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is quite funny how with old Lennart in charge G14 served no purpose, but now Platini's in charge with his "stand up for the little man" bit they've got a target again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Jimlad, that is the sensible and logical approach they should take.

I'm not convinced that is what will happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me > Platini

The irony of Gregg accusing Arsenal of being a foreign team playing in an English competition icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's goon, i'm bored, trying to brighten my day in work. Problem with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

It wouldn't be ****ing awesome. It'd be rubbish. I want nothing but pain for other English clubs in Europe, ESPECIALLY Liverpool (who btw are pretty much definately through now).

In fact the only reason I wouldn't mind Arsenal going through is I reckon they'd do Liverpool over 2 legs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said, when it comes to the other English clubs in Europe I want them to lose as soon as possible, they can go to hell.

Never have and never will understand the logic in supporting a team that in all other matches you hate, similar to one of my main reasons for not supporting the national team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i'd love to get the scouse in the next round of the champions league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd almost rather we lost to Lille than had that. the prospect of a)losing and b)the OTF craziness that would ensue is enough to make me deliberately get banned,

When it comes to any sport I'm of the firm belief that the pain of losing is always much stronger than the joy of winning, and the risk of losing to Liverpool is simply too much.

Same goes to all of the "MON CHELSEA AWAY" merchants when it comes to FA Cup draws. Home bankers every day of the week for me.

But yeah I can't really be bothered for this argument again, suffice to say, mon the easiest draw if we make it.

Also, apart from anything else the whole novelty of the CL is playing European teams, I wouldn't want an English team anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Yes, what with our SIMPLY FANTASTIC record when it comes to 2 legged knockout games icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In response to Scatter ofc

A french journalists take on the crowd trouble taken from the telegraph.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Drunk English supporters started the trouble

A few hours before Tuesday's match between Lille and Manchester United, I was strolling through the centre of Lille. I therefore saw the start of the chain of events beforehand: a few hundred English fans had gathered in the central square; they were all singing, which is nice. But they had drunk too much, which is less nice.

I went to get a coffee in the cafe Paul, which is well known in Lille, and the waitress told me with some concern that the English had been in the bar from 10am until 2pm and had spent more than 240 euros (£161) on drinks.

Afterwards, I took a train to Lens' Stade Bollaert and there were already plenty of drunk Englishmen in the carriages who were upsetting the passengers. In fact, some of the drivers refused to do their work and some trains were delayed.

All of this does nothing for the image of Manchester United fans. Nor do they need any help in this regard. In France, English fans are considered the most dangerous in the world.

Arriving at the Stade Bollaert, I saw the stand where the English were packed: everything was calm. The situation only escalated after about a quarter of an hour. Some supporters tried to climb the fence which separates them from the pitch. There was a great scuffle. I saw the stewards dressed in yellow then the police arrive with tear gas, which they fired at the public in that stand. The referee even stopped the match for a few seconds.

I think the French police were very nervous after the afternoon's incidents on the trains, and seeing drunk fans trying to scale the fencing must have scared them. It gave off the impression that they were going to try to invade the pitch.

The policemen and the supporters could have spoken with each other but the English don't speak French and I'm not sure that French policemen speak very good English.

The French police claim that English fans had bought tickets on the black market and that there were 5,000 people in a stand that can only hold 3,500.

We have had some problems with violence in French football before.

In November, after a Uefa Cup tie between Paris St Germain and Hapoel Tel-Aviv, a hooligan was killed by a policeman.

However, the problem is very much restricted to Paris St Germain, who have a notoriously racist fan base who support the leader of the extreme right-winger, Jean-Marie Le Pen.

# Jean-Yves Guerin is a football correspondent for Le Figaro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazed at the huge difference in reporting between the English and Continental press. English football support has changed hugely over the past 20 years. French policing it would appear hasn't. Just glad that the British press has shown that actually it does have a little bit of sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i actually think it is going to be our duty, if not the duty of one of the other english teams, to knock liverpool out. otherwise i can see them getting to the final tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea can do it, distract them from the league etc icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

i actually think it is going to be our duty, if not the duty of one of the other english teams, to knock liverpool out. otherwise i can see them getting to the final tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea can do it, distract them from the league etc icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, cos we can rely on Chelsea to beat Liverpool in knockout games... icon_mad.gif

Like I said, that's one of the few reasons I wouldn't mind Arsenal going through - I reckon they'd steamroller the scouse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I just want them all to lose, Liverpool because they're Liverpool, the other two because I don't want a London team winning it. Blatantly going to happen though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep icon_frown.gif

I am united in pessimism with you Mika. Still think we've got a decent shot at the league, mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In November, after a Uefa Cup tie between Paris St Germain and Hapoel Tel-Aviv, a hooligan was killed by a policeman.

However, the problem is very much restricted to Paris St Germain, who have a notoriously racist fan base who support the leader of the extreme right-winger, Jean-Marie Le Pen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahahahahahahaha.

"we have hooligans, but only at one club"

I just want them all to lose, Liverpool because they're Liverpool, the other two because I don't want a London team winning it. Blatantly going to happen though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep icon_frown.gif

I am united in pessimism with you Mika. Still think we've got a decent shot at the league, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO you're another of Keyser's internet children then?

Oh and to people talking about UEFA coming up with a replay option after the free kick, its never going to happen. Whilst I could see UEFA being blind to the actions of the French Police and maybe even to safety concerns over the Lens stadium, the talks today are to discuss Lille's actions after the goal. Whilst the freekick itself will be brought up not even Platini will demand a replay.

In the league we don't usually play like bunch of no hopers away from home so that's a good start. It's annoying because in a lot of ways the CL is there for the taking this season, but we're so inept tactically that we'll manage to screw it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Oh and to people talking about UEFA coming up with a replay option after the free kick, its never going to happen. Whilst I could see UEFA being blind to the actions of the French Police and maybe even to safety concerns over the Lens stadium, the talks today are to discuss Lille's actions after the goal. Whilst the freekick itself will be brought up not even Platini will demand a replay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was in The Sun, nuff said.

Greg I've just found this article which I think sums up quite well the differences in mentality between England and the continent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

From The Times

February 22, 2007

Shambles shows we’re so near, yet so far apart

Gabriele Marcotti, European Football Correspondent

In the eyes of the marketing men and the sponsors, the Champions League is a forerunner to a European super-league. With centrally sold broadcast rights, uniform kick-off times and transfer windows, it is a glimpse into the future of European football, much like the European Union is a precursor to what many in Brussels are advocating: a European super-state.

The problem with both is that we’re far from ready. While there is much bringing us together, there is lots tearing us apart. In the ‘real world’ it is things such as taxes, laws and language. In football, as seen on Tuesday night in Lens, it is — among other things — the “stadium experienceâ€.

The expectations, mentality and behaviour of supporters and police differ. When you throw in uncomfortable cultural legacies — the threat of a Hillsborough-like disaster for Manchester United fans and 1980s-style English hooliganism for the French — you risk getting what we witnessed at the Félix-Bollaert Stadium.

English grounds were revolutionised after the Taylor Report. Terracing was abolished, as were barriers separating supporters from the pitch. At the same time, law enforcement learnt to rely on banning orders, video surveillance, intelligence and stewarding to preserve security. This, coupled with economic factors that saw primarily young, working-class people priced out of grounds, helped to eliminate hooliganism in English stadiums.

Yet while this was going on, the Continent — perhaps because most countries never experienced the horrors of a Hillsborough — acted differently. Aggressive policing and pitch-side barriers were seen as essential.

The Friuli Stadium in Italy, home to Serie A’s Udinese, removed barriers two years ago in an effort to introduce English-style policing. Despite their relative success, two weeks ago Udinese were ordered to put them back by Italian authorities as part of a crackdown on security after a policeman was murdered in a riot in Catania.

The differences do not end there. The trouble in Lens started when police ushered Manchester United supporters into the visiting fans’ enclosure. This is normal at many continental grounds, the idea that it is better to seat them elsewhere than lock them out and risk trouble. In England they would probably have been ejected.

And then there is the fact that travelling English fans today pay for the sins of past supporters in the 1970s and 1980s. Hooligan panic sets in when an English side plays abroad and heavy-handed policing tends to follow.

However much sponsors and Utopians would like to think European fans are a homogenous mass of willing consumers, there are striking differences. In that sense, perhaps the European Union and European football could learn something from each other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Berger questions Speed's commitment

Convinced Liuzzi has the right frame of mind

Team co-owner Gerhard Berger has questioned Scott Speed's 'commitment' to being a Grand Prix driver as confirmation of the second Toro Rosso race seat still lags.

Berger has stated that the 24-year-old is firm-favourite for the ride despite unspecified contractual issues that prevented his confirmation alongside Tonio Liuzzi at the recent launch of the new car.

Berger now tells Motorsport Aktuell magazine: "In the past weeks Tonio convinced us that he brings along the necessary commitment to complement his talent. The same is not yet true for Scott."

Speed is almost certain to ultimately land the job, with rumours suggesting that the hold-up is about Toro Rosso trying to get his signature on a longer contract than he would like.

Cliquez ici...

It has also been suggested that Berger, after observing that STR's 2006 line-up attended too many parties, is trying to give Speed the impression that his seat is a privilege reserved only for the truly focused.

Speed touched down in Bahrain this week for what would be his only pre-season test before Melbourne.

E.A.

Source GMM

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Yep icon_frown.gif

I am united in pessimism with you Mika. Still think we've got a decent shot at the league, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO you're another of Keyser's internet children then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO I'm not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Guy on redcafe saying a news program in norway has posted a link to youtube and claims its Magnus Wolff Eikrem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQc3dkI-uBU

The video says its two different young kids but who knows. I cant see feck all but a black screen at work so Nick might be able to shed some light on if its him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hard to say really. the second kid definitely isn't him, but you never really get a good enough look at the first kid. there were moments when i thought it looked like him and others where i thought 'nah'.

SO you're another of Keyser's internet children then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO I'm not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, didnt mean to capitalise the first bit icon_frown.gif

Lille point finger at United

ille director general Xavier Thuilot has hinted that Manchester United should be thrown out of the UEFA Champions League following the worrying crowd scenes that accompanied their clash on Tuesday night.

Uefa has already launched an investigation into the events that saw the United end of the ground apparently suffer from overcrowding in a stormy 1-0 win for the English side.

French police sprayed tear gas at the away crowd after some supporters attempted to scale perimeter fencing, and it has been reported that 5,000 fans were in a section of terracing designed to hold 3,500.

Uefa will discuss the issue on 22nd March after investigating 'possible violations of binding Uefa safety and security instructions by the host club, as well as the alleged improper conduct of both sets of supporters'.

United are planning to submit their own report to Uefa after consulting fans that were present at Stade Felix-Bollaert - some of whom have complained of heavy-handed policing - but Lille have now pointed the finger at their English counterparts.

Thuilot has claimed that the actions of some United fans were in a similar vein to those Feyenoord supporters who resulted in their team being expelled from the Uefa Cup following trouble in a game against Nancy.

"Uefa gave the green light to our security measures on the morning of the match so if they punish us they are in effect punishing themselves," Thuilot told a press conference.

"Manchester United are imposing their own brand of the law to Lille football club, to the Felix-Bollaert stadium and to Uefa.

"There was a real will on their part to impose their side of the story right from the full-time whistle because the club knows what's at stake following incidents involving their supporters.

"It's up to Uefa to rule on the issue, but we are clearly in the same category as Feyenoord."

Thuilot also blamed United's early release of match tickets for a number of forgeries, leading to alleged overcrowding in the away end.

"We sent their quota of places to Manchester several weeks ago, as is the usual thing to do.

"But the English club, instead of distributing the tickets to their supporters on their arrival at the stadium (or) on their descent from the bus, sent them out a month ago.

"The result - some very good forgeries, which have allowed some supporters to enter the stand reserved for them. All the forged tickets on the night were Manchester United tickets."

United have quickly rejected such accusations, replying: "Tickets were distributed by recorded delivery 11 days before the game or for collection from February 1.

"We would normally send out tickets for our home games at Old Trafford six weeks before the match and we have no problems with forgeries."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really think Lille need to be punished heavily now because all this blaming the other side and sticking their head in the sand is going to get someone killed.

Their god awful policing and security measures that we deemed not good enough over two decades ago need changing, we should be held up as an example to follow instead of being branded as the bad guys while watching the rest of Europe smash up stadiums, kill police men and have their police lay into innocent fans.

I really cannot understand how they're trying to turn all the blame over to us.

It just seems a case of "English fans are hooligans, it's their fault".

The story for whats happened has changed so much over the last few days from their side, it has to stand us in good stead.

Our stance has pretty much maintained constant and seems to stem from what was originally suggested had happened, rather than making things up as they go along.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Scouse in the next draw would be fecking amazing icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*despairs* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's just wanting it so he can ask that girl to the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Scouse in the next draw would be fecking amazing icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's just wanting it so he can ask that girl to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"So sorry darling, how about I console you with dinner...?"

Are Lille being serious? Blaming United for giving out tickets EARLY!

It's called being efficient and looking after the fans, though I suppose the French have no concept of that. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare of United trying to hand out tickets outside the stadium?

Oh yeah, they would probably have been arrested by the French police by then for not having match tickets.

tl;dr alert - about the game / my trip

Come with me gents if you will, on a journey into the heart of a blowy former industrial town in the North West of France - otherwise known as my trip to Lille.

I got a few days off work and so we made the trip down early on Tuesday morning, crossing the Channel on the coach with some mates and the supporters club. The trip was long and arduous and we ran into problems when the driver was too hasty in bravely announcing 'we are here' to everyone, making us think we had arrived at the hotel. Despite apparently following the internet directions to a tee however, we ended up in some f**king housing estate in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by just a dusty old park and a bunch of red brick council houses! Not a good start. Anyway, there was a sea of confusion as no-one knew where the hell we were. So up steps le gonch who nonchalantly strolls off the bus, charms a random French lady in her 40s with consummate ease, and persuades her to get in her car and drive us to the hotel. This was fine work, and I was given a heros reception when re-entering the bus! (well not quite, but james parents were pleased!) Without me we would effectively have been lost. So that was good.

We got to the town centre in the end and went to the main square as you do, whereupon there were loads of United fans with their flags up singing etc. As a side note, one funny thing was after about an hour everyone thought it was going to kick off BIG TIME. From a distance we heard a megaphone and loads of French voices chanting and approaching the square. Thinking it was the Lille fans we obviously expected it to be a bit troublesome cos there were loads of them. It turned out though that it was a bunch of ****ing students protesting about education! So when the two sets of people, with completely different agendas, came face to face it was quite funny really, the French didnt have a clue what was going on as everyone started singing 'get to work you lazy twats!' at them.

I knew for a fact there were going to be ticketing issues, which is why I told everyone to get there early. Rumours went around that there had been fake tickets floating about so It was important to go asap otherwise you risked not getting in. (james - mark didnt get in for example! the poor guy organised the whole trip for about 100 people and then had to sit outside on his arse cos the stinking police turned him away!) Police abroad just hate the English football fan that is the bottom line. So many bars were like 'we're closed' despite the fact there were hundreds of people inside and the music was blaring in my face, i mean what an insult. at least say, 'we arent letting you in because we hate you, you c**t.' i would be like 'fair enough.' saying they're closed is like going up to a vet with a picture of a dog and saying 'i assure you this is a cat.' you look silly, the vet looks silly, its a mess.

So anyway, in the ground there were 5000 away fans with one entrance and one toilet, for men women and children. disgusting facilities.

The trouble was hard to understand. So much went on that the game was almost an afterthought. Basically too many people were let into the same place, I moved down to just behind the goal, fearing that everyone would crowd into the right hand side. There were no stewards whatsoever directing ppl to what was an almost empty left hand side of the tier. About 10 minutes in someone climbed the fence and ran onto the pitch towards Van der Sar. My initial reaction was 'idiot' but it turns out he was genuinely afraid (so im led to understand) and ran on to warn whoever he could about the problems. He was beaten down hard by the heavy handed French police, batons and all. This caused an outrage naturally and angry fans started climbing the fence too. People became scared and it started to get unpleasant as everyone scrambled around not knowing where to go or how to avoid the mass of crowded people.

Then the tier gas.

I have never experienced anything like it. All of a sudden everyone went quiet and all you could hear were the coughs and splutters of about 2000 people. I could barely breathe but I was lucky to not be right in the thick of it. Tier gas makes your nose run and your mouth feels like its on fire. Plus you try and cover your eyes because they sting like hell so you cant really see. The silence in the away end was really weird because it had gone from being so rowdy, to everyone getting gassed. You knew everyone felt the same as you, and everyone kept coughing and covering their mouths etc. One guy on the coach, i tell you I have never in my life seen such a red face. And that was 2 hours after the game! His 14yr old daughter was all red too and bawling her eyes out the poor girl. She must have been petrified.

Anyway after around 10 minutes it got back to relative normality though everyone was LIVID. People started climbing the fence and spitting at the police etc. The general feeling of everyone in it together made the atmosphere really special though. Just made everyone sing more, get more frantic etc. The next day my arms literally ached from so much clapping! Mainly because of the United calypso tune.

So yeh. That plus the Lille players going beserk and threatening to walk off plus Fergie going mental and pushing Gary Neville plus The Lille fans RAGING and throwing their flags at Rooney and Neville like javelins (the club laid out Lille flags for them before the game) plus them throwing coins at our players plus someone nearly tearing down one of the metal gates plus more tier gas plus the wild celebrations plus the disallowed Lille goal plus 'GIIIGGS GIGGS WILL TEAR YOU APART AGAIN' repeated ad finitum until I literally could not speak anymore plus my first away win in europe plus only our 3rd win away in 18 euro trips = one hell of an away game. I f**king loved it.

As a side note, Rooney swore at the Lille fans after the game but Im surprised no-one has picked up on it. I thought the papers would go mad.

For me the bottom line is that the stewarding was atrocious. In the streets after the game I counted 23 police vans packed with fully armed police, but in the ground not one steward was our side of the metal gates, helping direct people to areas with more space. Allowing any Tom Dick or Harry in is ridiculous because it takes 2 seconds to check a ticket. and the cheek of the french press etc in the aftermath of the game astounds me.

still, Giggs icon_cool.gif

yes but thats my seat he'd be after so he'd have fat chance of taking her to the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

"So sorry darling, how about I console you with dinner...?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha icon_biggrin.gif

The idea of Mart pretending to be that reasonable when Liverpool are involved is awesome.

Archived