The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

He probably wasn't at City, mate.

heshootshescores </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting robbed off Goater > *

thekeepersaves

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

and put in at full-back because the responsibility is less in that position than it is at CB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He plays CB for us, we play 5-3-2 and have done for a while now

About his attacking side, he's a different type of threat to Neville, Neville relys on himself being a great crosser of the ball which as someone pointed out developed later in his career after Beckham left as before that there was pretty much no need for him to overlap as Becks could wip it in from any angle.

Richards is more like Thuram with his speed and power which can take him past 2 players easily as we see for us and have seen for England, he's alot more than chuck him upfront and make a nuisance as Nick said, he's a real threat bombing forward

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pickles:

The Sun on form today... icon_rolleyes.gif

Q: How many City fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None, they're quite happy living in the shadows

Is Blackburn 3pm on Saturday? On TV at all or is it Arabic TV pub hunting time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Man Utd.com it's Arabic TV pub hunting time. (it says Sat 3pm so that means no broadcasting on english channels)

No problem in Romania though icon_wink.gif (unless there are too many Liverpool and Arsenal twats in the pub)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Speaking after the game, Ronaldo outlined his current happiness with his form and again stressed his wish to stay at Old Trafford.

"Am I the best in the world? I have been improving my game and I'm in a great shape this year. I feel mature," he told the Portuguese media.

"The Manchester United players are by my side and I also have a great help in the national team.

"But of course I believe I am one of the best.

"I have a good contract in financial terms and what really matters to me is to show my game.

"It's a good sign to know that I have so many clubs interested in me, such as Madrid. It means that I am valued and my work pleases.

"But I'm very happy where I am and I hope to stay in Manchester United for many years." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

what are you on about cartmannnnn, the main reason nev/becks overlap worked is because nev could whip one in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well imo not like he can now, I always saw Neville as a distraction to give Becks more room, I never really considered him to be a great crosser until Becks left, though that could be down to Beckham just being fb and Neville not really being noticed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

I love Gary Neville icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only because he's got more assists for blue derby goals than anyone in your team icon_frown.gif

I just think hes great entertainment!

From feeding the Goat, to never losing a manc derby and finally to the time he had a hissy fit when he dived and then got sent off after a little hand bag fight with macca.

Too many Shearer personalities in todays game, its great when you get neville out of the box personality. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

and put in at full-back because the responsibility is less in that position than it is at CB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He plays CB for us, we play 5-3-2 and have done for a while now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But when he was initially brought into the line-up you were still playing a back four weren't you? Pretty sure the hype all started when his big frame started marauding down the right flank for your lot. And he's been blooded internationally at right-back hasn't he since the apparent quality in depth of the centre-back ranks nationally would mean he'd be nowhere near the international setup?

I personally don't think that it detracts from the point that he somewhat understandably lacks the maturity to play effectively as part of a CB duo which is probably one of the reasons why he's been deployed as one of 3 by Pearce (I can only assume that Dunne & Distin are the ones looking after him for the most part) and at RB by England. Therefore his physical capabilities are still the main reason why he's in the side since he isn't experienced/naturally gifted enough to cope with the position of more responsibility that his physique would cause him to be naturally deployed without being chaperoned to some extent.

Ali, you want to read your last post and have it make sense of some sort? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few months back there was a discussion on OTF centering around one Gary Neville. Several posters were of the opinion that the Manchester United right-back was amongst the best in the world in his position, combining the intelligence and discipline required to play in that part of the pitch with the determination, hard-work and inspiration of a natural born winner. However, several other users (hereafter referred to as '*****') were of the rather lazy tabloid opinion that he was rubbish, and pointed to isolated incidents such as the Manchester derby in 2002 and the World Club Championship in 2000 as evidence for a limited player held in unusually high regard due to the status of the club he played for. This in turn prompted those who had originally praised Neville to invite the naysayers to suggest other players who they personally felt embodied the qualities of an effective right-back. Many names were thrown into the hat, including some of those I have mentioned above - Liverpool's Steve Finnan, Arsenal's Emmanual Eboue, for example. One user (the name of the exact individual is sadly lost to my poor memory) even went as far as to suggest that Steven Gerrard was better as a right-back, having been deployed in this capacity for England on a couple of occasions. This caused much mirth amongst the United contingent stringently defending Neville, and has since been brought up on occasions by one or other in an ironic fashion, in a bid to highlight both the stupidity of certain individuals professing to have an interest in football and equally the continued consistency of awesomness that Gary Neville attains.

Any futher questions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Don't get why we need Gary Neville replacement. iirc Finnan, Richards, Eboue, Diarra, Gerrard and Agbonlahor are ALL better right-backs than him. Anyone we bring in will improve the team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said you don't get why we need a replacement. It's obvious why we need one, as he's so rubbish everyone is better there than him, as you then pointed out.

But when he was initially brought into the line-up you were still playing a back four weren't you? Pretty sure the hype all started when his big frame started marauding down the right flank for your lot. And he's been blooded internationally at right-back hasn't he since the apparent quality in depth of the centre-back ranks nationally would mean he'd be nowhere near the international setup?

I personally don't think that it detracts from the point that he somewhat understandably lacks the maturity to play effectively as part of a CB duo which is probably one of the reasons why he's been deployed as one of 3 by Pearce (I can only assume that Dunne & Distin are the ones looking after him for the most part) and at RB by England. Therefore his physical capabilities are still the main reason why he's in the side since he isn't experienced/naturally gifted enough to cope with the position of more responsibility that his physique would cause him to be naturally deployed without being chaperoned to some extent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most young CBs get blooded in at full back to start with, I seem to remember Rio playing right back for England and England U21s aswell as Sol Campbell on the other side. Sometimes a player just comes along at a young age who has the phyiscal attributes aswell as the technical ability that you know is going to be a good player, Wayne Rooney being the most obvious example.

He isn't getting praise because of his big frame and power, its his defending and ability along with his obvious strength thats getting him the praise. He's impossible to play against in the air and will win 90% off any challenge up there (yes making it not impossible). You only have to look how teams mark him from corners, theres always at least 2 players looking after him, one to challenge and one to block him off. His pace and power means he can keep up with the best of strikers, he totally had control of Henry and Walcott when Arsenal came to the COMS earlier in the season.

He has also played CB in a back 4 a fair few times, when Distin/Dunne have been out and when Distin has been played as a left back and done just as well, no one can argue our defence is one of the best around and he is a main part of that. Like I said earlier he reminds me so much of Thuram, he's just good enough to play anywhere, Thuram only ever played RB for his country and many considered him to be the best in the world a few years back despite it.

People need to remember aswell that he's 18, I think its scary how good a defender he will become, probably not for us though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Don't get why we need Gary Neville replacement. iirc Finnan, Richards, Eboue, Diarra, Gerrard and Agbonlahor are ALL better right-backs than him. Anyone we bring in will improve the team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said you don't get why we need a replacement. It's obvious why we need one, as he's so rubbish everyone is better there than him, as you then pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, the phrase 'Gary Neville replacement' was, when used in this particular context, suggests we would hope for someone to come in and essentially continue in the same vein as our current #2. It is also implied, given that potential targets being mulled over are all of a relatively young age, that whoever did come in would 'take over' after Gary has retired, perhaps in three or four years' time. I was hoping to highlight his obvious inadequencies and therefore change the overall direction of thinking to short term action, possibly including the actual sale of Gary, as useless as he is.

Secondly, just **** off with your smart arse answers, alright?

icon_biggrin.gif to Ali & icon14.gif to mark.

- - - - - - -

In other news I was wrong about where the money going out of my account for tickets.

A £46 North Stand Tier 1 ticket has arrived for the Roma game (even though I only ever state E/W T2 & NE/NW Quads T1 as my prefered options), so thats the money that came out of my account on the 23rd, but it means I'm no wiser about what game the £35 or so that went out on the 19th because that is also more expensive than the seats I would usually purchase.

Anyone have a clue which of the Sheff Utd or Boro games (I assume its not Blackburn because a ticket would have already arrived with the game being this weekend) the ballot on the 19th (or around that date) was for? Obviously still trying to avoid contact with the TO in any form by asking this btw.

They've also painted me into a corner because even though its a fair load more there's no way I can pass up the Roma ticket now I've got it...damn them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

£46 for NT1 icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know icon_frown.gif ...can't do anything about it now though. Good luck with the TO attempt. If you can slip in a question about which game the ballot around the 19th applies to I'd appreciate it icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

You said you don't get why we need a replacement. It's obvious why we need one, as he's so rubbish everyone is better there than him, as you then pointed out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, the phrase 'Gary Neville replacement' was, when used in this particular context, suggests we would hope for someone to come in and essentially continue in the same vein as our current #2. It is also implied, given that potential targets being mulled over are all of a relatively young age, that whoever did come in would 'take over' after Gary has retired, perhaps in three or four years' time. I was hoping to highlight his obvious inadequencies and therefore change the overall direction of thinking to short term action, possibly including the actual sale of Gary, as useless as he is.

Secondly, just **** off with your smart arse answers, alright? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

It's automated so I won't be asking any questions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, assumed you were trying to speak to someone. My bad.

Same here it's a ****ing disgrace, especially seeing how cheap the tickets for the away leg are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Same here it's a ****ing disgrace, especially seeing how cheap the tickets for the away leg are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

two prices for the away leg - 23euros and 100euros.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Roma ticket came this morning.

£10 icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate, you're a minor - we get the point

I went to Uni with a bloke from Chorley. He used to steal computer parts to order, shoot people from our kitchen window and stole my car once (hitting pretty much every speed camera between Manchester and Chorley).

With any luck he's dead now.

Archived