The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great and much needed confidence boost now for the run-in. Only hope that United don't get carried away like Arsenal and think they are going to walk the ball into the net against other teams. Need a lot of grit and determination against Watford and Sheffield United in the next 2 games and we'll see off Chelsea.

We were qg last night tbh.

SO many good performances, all over the park. Giggsy, Carrick, Ronnie, Smudger, all immense. But I am quite prepared to bow down at the alter of Darren Fletcher and snaffle up some pie of the humble variety, because he was EVERYWHERE last night. Best I've seen him in 3 years. wp son.

Loved the fact that ALL the goals were cracking as well. Nearly shot my load when Smith's went in, oozed class.

Little annoyed at Rio for an unneccessary yellow card. Who's on them now - Ronnie, Heinze, Rio, Smudge is it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

We were qg last night tbh.

SO many good performances, all over the park. Giggsy, Carrick, Ronnie, Smudger, all immense. But I am quite prepared to bow down at the alter of Darren Fletcher and snaffle up some pie of the humble variety, because he was EVERYWHERE last night. Best I've seen him in 3 years. wp son.

Loved the fact that ALL the goals were cracking as well. Nearly shot my load when Smith's went in, oozed class.

Little annoyed at Rio for an unneccessary yellow card. Who's on them now - Ronnie, Heinze, Rio, Smudge is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rio and Smudge only have one, it's three for a suspension isn't it? Evra is one away from suspension too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by karanfett:

You know, theoretically Man Utd could play Chelsea three times in the last 10 days of the sason to decide the three trophies... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow. You're the first person to mention this. No one has noticed it before.

wp sir. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

hmmm, tickets for the semi are the very front row of the Trinity. Section C6. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

were these the extra ones from the ticket office james? or from else where?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

from someone we met in Rome...not through the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should've guessed really

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by karanfett:

You know, theoretically Man Utd could play Chelsea three times in the last 10 days of the sason to decide the three trophies... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow. You're the first person to mention this. No one has noticed it before.

wp sir. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I mentioned this to a friend of mine, though we both hope that Chelsea slip up in Europe and the league to render the tie at Stamford Bridge a formality. I had my hopes on Arsenal stopping their charge, but looking at how impotent the Gunners are...

Well, that was my first game at Old Trafford for about 5 years, and I really enjoyed it. Don't think I could have gone to a better game tbh, and of course it helped that I could see what was going instead of having to be picked up everytime people in front stood up.

I was just really surprised at how loud it was at the start, I can't really remember much about the games I went to as a little kid, but I'm guessing it was louder than usual.

Thought Fletcher had a good game, and Smith too considering whats happened.

Just got back from Manchester. Unbelievable night. Be surprised if I’m ever privileged enough to see a better performance. Undoubtedly the most comprehensive Champions League victory at this stage of the competition in the modern era. So, so glad I was there even with shockingly dodgy trains on the way up. Really was scared that I was going to be late at one point.

From the moment ol’ Wilf was winding up the crowd pre-match to the pure desire and will to win emanating from the crowd in the first half especially that was reflected in the performance itself, to the slightly more carnival-esq atmosphere during the second half it was just brilliant to be there.

Everyone apart from Richardson did their thing, and I’ll temper my desire to be overly descriptive and hyperbolic (although this will inevitably come out longish anyway) about everyone but a few things need to be mentioned.

- Brown destroyed Totti. I mean destroyed him. Utter quality.

- Giggsy had his best game for absolutely ages. Four freaking assists for crying out loud!

- Smudger must play in the remaining games. Fantastic hold-up play and closing down didn’t give the Roma defence a second.

- Carrick and Fletch were, well shall I just say amazing and leave it at that? No. They were ****ing amazing. There that’ll do. After I got back to the hotel after the game I watched the highlights, and while they did their job at showcasing our attacking verve with Ronaldo featuring prominently, anyone who didn’t see the entire game was denied one of the most dynamic performances by a centre-midfield duo that I can remember. So, so good!

Other than the goal, which to be fair was a great finish by De Rossi, the only other real downside (the fans telling Richardson what they through of him doesn’t count...the guy next to me said he was worse than Ben Thornley and then just shook his head for about 2 minutes straight icon_biggrin.gif) of last night was Rio coming off early to protect himself from worsening an injury (happened when he slipped clearing a ball back from Evra didn’t it?), fingers crossed it isn’t bad.

Could’ve picked almost any combo from about 8 players but I’m plumping for…

MOM: Darren Fletcher

2ND: Wes Brown

I’m with the blame Richardson for the goal camp as well btw. The way things are going he isn’t going to get much more opportunity to be attributed anything for us.

P.S. I love football.

With the Richardson thing, I read in here and see that you all think hes crap, and everyone booed him last night, but surely you should clap players of your team when they're brought on, even if they are rubbish?

Or are you trying to drive him out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

With the Richardson thing, I read in here and see that you all think hes crap, and everyone booed him last night, but surely you should clap players of your team when they're brought on, even if they are rubbish?

Or are you trying to drive him out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

trying to drive him out.

Most of these guys think he should never play for utd ever again. Hes just not good enough and a bit of a twat

What. A. F**king. Game.

I expect there's nothing to say which hasnt already been said...

but erm... wp lads

and take that Carrick/Fletcher doubters icon_mad.gif

the former taking hold of a game and grabbing goals to boot without Scholes alongside him.. in a huge game.. when many thought he didn't have it in him.

Fletcher in his best position just doing what he does best, and being very good at it.

aside from them 2, no poor performances, except of course a token 'KR gives the ball away' session \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Richardson isn't another of George Weah's "cousins", is he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect he'd get laughed out by suggesting even that... I think Jermaine Pennant's "cousin" is a bit more his level.

Fantastic quote from La Repubblica:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When Cristiano Ronaldo began to put his foot over the ball for his famous stepover, after not even 20 seconds, Roma's players already looked like those children who hate car journeys and throw up at the first bend in the road </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From this article on Italian press reaction

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

anyone who didn’t see the entire game was denied one of the most dynamic performances by a centre-midfield duo that I can remember.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, they can buy the DVD from me icon_cool.gif

haha re: rcj's analysis of Giggs in the match thread.. its exactly what I thought icon_biggrin.gif

at the game, I noticed he gave the ball away a lot early on, then didnt actually pick up on all of his assists... on reflection he probably wasnt half as bad as I thought icon_biggrin.gif

Giggs the ultimate TV/live game spectator divider

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sixteen people, including a 15-year-old boy, have been charged with various offences following violent clashes at Manchester United's game against Roma last night, police said today.

Officers arrested 21 supporters - 14 English and seven Italian - before the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final, which United won 7-1 to go through 8-3 on aggregate.

Four Roma supporters appeared at Manchester City magistrates' court today, while 12 United fans were bailed to attend Trafford magistrates court on April 18, Greater Manchester police said.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

one of the people arrested plays for fc united. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for much longer, methinks.

Today at work I heard the most ridiculous excuse for Roma's performance last night.

Apparently the team were told to lose by officials (at the club ? Can't be sure whether he was pointing at club or Government) - in order to deflect any heat that may arise over last week.

icon_biggrin.gif Italian, he is, btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Today at work I heard the most ridiculous excuse for Roma's performance last night.

Apparently the team were told to lose by officials (at the club ? Can't be sure whether he was pointing at club or Government) - in order to deflect any heat that may arise over last week.

icon_biggrin.gif Italian, he is, btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

cheers for all the happy birthdays lads, i'm touched. not in a keyser/ryan/dark alley kinda way

got some pretty awesome presents tbf:

classic icon_cool.gif

less classic, but quite cult

limited edition ftw

getting this signed and framed methinks

this f**king rules - 1963, 1977, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999 and 2004 FA Cup finals and the 1968 European Cup final, full games icon_cool.gif

well worth getting another year older for really

Archived