The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I think the opposite, I think he was so much better in the centre than on the left hand side yesterday.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>maybe diabolical was a tad harsh. He was qg in the air, but his positioning and judgment left a lot to be desired, the diving in and being completely skinned on the right hand side springs to mind, only bailed out by Paddy stroming across to cover.

VDS would want to lift his game as well over the closing month, as Fergie has no trouble dispensing with keepers. If the last 3 weeks is the trend, I'll take Big Ben in goal come August.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Saha, after that Owen news you might need to get yourself over to Scatter's house and cut him down from his noose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we sign Owen, I think I'll join him.

We should go after Tevez if (when) West Ham go down.

Not the best game since we didn't have to push that hard after the second went in, result had an air of inevitability about it, but pleased with the win. Hopefully Rio's optimism isn't unfounded as far as his injury goes & is back for Boro. Defence might have looked a bit off-beat in his absence but I can't say I was really worried that Watford would catch us out. I'm tempted to say giving VDS Tuesday off might do him some good.

MOM: Rooney

2ND: Smith

AFFG: Can't give it to anyone without being extremely harsh really.

No thanks to Owen or Tevez for me tbh although I'd be more willing to consider the latter.

The former being injury prone & not having come back to show an end of season Ruud-esq recovery to justify going in for him as yet is enough of a reason to avoid given Newcastle £12mill.

As for the latter, while I'm a fan of the fluidity he offers with his style of play, at present I'm just not convinced that he'd score enough goals. Although that could obviously change if he stays in the country, feels more comfortable & plays with better players.

There's also the issue that while its all well and good having a very talented attacking group sometimes you just need a striker who works the opposition defence at close quarters, something Smithy has done very well in the last couple of games. The way he's looked in the last couple of games promises plenty and at present I'd definitely say he should be kept on.

Everything I've seen of Tevez both this season and at the World Cup last summer suggests that the work he likes to do would result in him competing directly with the sort of role Rooney & Giggs have been operating in. I don't doubt his technical ability or that Giggs needs replacing or that the notion of a Tevez/Rooney/Ronaldo triumverate behind a main striker is enticing, but I still think that a more direct Giggs replacement would be better for us at this point in time & if we need a striker let Saha go and bring in someone with his mobility and goalscoring threat but with less goddamn injury problems.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to watching the FA Youth Cup Final on Sky tomorrow night. Mon the youngsters icon14.gif

I think really Man Utd need a proven goalscorer who gets goals at the top level.

Saha could, but hes injured too often, and doesn't get enough goals when he isn't anyway imo. Smith can get goals, but I don't think hes world class, and Solksjaers getting on a bit now. Rooneys a top player, but hes not a poacher, more creative. Perhaps Ronaldo'll end up becoming a forward, hes a good finisher and good in the air.

Owens a poacher, but I don't think he'd fit in, and Tevez isn't a proven goalscorer really.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Bugger

the youth cups on telly tomorrow not when i'm bloody working

what times KO??

might try and sneak a half shift or is it a two legger anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky had the programme starting at 7.30 so I can only assume its a 7.45 k.o. since I figure they'll do a "how the teams got there bit". No idea if its one or two legs but since they didn't make a point of stating it I'm going for the former.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

it's usually two legs isn't it. I know sky don't mention it, but don't expect them to be informative ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah my bad. Just figured the add would have said 1st leg (unless I missed it). First leg is tomorrow, second leg is the April 26th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

it's usually two legs isn't it. I know sky don't mention it, but don't expect them to be informative ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah my bad. Just figured the add would have said 1st leg (unless I missed it). First leg is tomorrow, second leg is the April 26th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no I saw the ad, they didn't mention it, but that's probably to make the game seem more important. Might go to the second leg.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

or ruud </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruud got offside to often, methinks. Is it coincidence that we're doing a lot better without Ruud than with him?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

icon_biggrin.gif Wondered how long that would take.

Its fair enough saying Eto'o and Villa would be good for us, I doubt anyone could say that they wouldn't, both are proven top class strikers and given their respective attributes I don't think that they'd take more than a couple of months to adapt to the Premiership but I don't think any of us realistically expect the Glazers to release the sort of funds it would take to pay for the transfer fee & wages of either player. The prospect of signing either player is nothing more than pipe-dream fantasy football thinking so I'm going to let them stay that way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

Villa is perfect. I dont really know what Owen Hargreaves would add to be honest. O'Shea and Smith can cover for Carrick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree.

Smith is a striker and I don't want to see him starting games in the centre again. O'Shea is not good enough to be next in line should Scholes or Carrick pick up a random injury before a match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

Ruud got offside to often, methinks. Is it coincidence that we're doing a lot better without Ruud than with him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nah, I'm not saying van Nistelrooy was a bad player 'cos he wasn't, but Man Utd are playing a lot better this season without him than we were with him.

Admittedly, that might be down to other factors, but I still think we're better off without him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Bugger

what times KO??

might try and sneak a half shift or is it a two legger anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 legs and kick off is at 7:45 as far as I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Bugger

what times KO??

2 legs and kick off is at 7:45 as far as I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bleeding 26th is a back shift too for the return leg

bastards

No thanks to Hargreaves. Think he's a useful player - though I don't buy the whole 'couple of good performances in a major tourney = the second coming' malark - but I don't think he's the kind of player we need. Seems to be a 'run around and work hard for the team in all areas' kinda player, similar to Fletch (as mentioned before) when he's on form. Personally think we need a good old fashioned clogger who always sits back and makes vital challenges. Carrick plays deep and closes down the opposition, often forcing them sideways, but he's not a ball winner. I personally thought Smudger was a good fit (MOTM performance against Chelsea anyone?), but he said he got a bit lost whenever we were in possession (hence him looking poorer against weaker opposition), so that effectively rules him out. There is one other option that's occurred to me though that no-one seems to have raised: Pique. It's common concensus that Jonny Evans has overtaken him in the centre-half pecking order, but from what I understand he's been mainly used as a DM by Zaragoza, and most of the reviews I've seen have been good (note that the researcher kept his high potential in the update). Anyone seen enough of him to give any credence to this possibility, or am I talking out of my arse?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Alan Smith believes he has shown Sir Alex Ferguson why he is the man to lead from the front, as Manchester United attempt to emulate their treble-winning antics of 1999.

Having spent much of the campaign recovering from a broken leg sustained 13 months ago against Liverpool, Smith for the most part has cut a forlorn figure but against Roma was surprisingly given opportunity to impress.

In place of the injured Louis Saha the Leeds-born striker put in a typically robust shift that delighted everyone at Old Trafford, and he is eager to keep his place as United hunt for glory.

The majority of Smith's games for United have seen him employed as a defensive midfielder, but it is back in his more natural position that he is bidding to establish himself at the Premiership leaders.

"Do I want to make my name as a centre-forward with United now? Yeah, definitely," he told The People.

"There aren't many bigger games than a Champions League quarter-final.

"And so the biggest thing, the most pleasing thing for me before the Roma game, was that the manager had the faith to put me out there as a centre-forward in a game we needed to win.

"That was a very big thing for me and the goal was massive. I scored 10 in my first 12 games at United and I scored eight goals in the Champions League in one season for Leeds, so there's no doubt in my mind that I can do it." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smith has the potential to be a 25 goal striker. Ive been a Smith fan since he was 17 playing for Leeds. I think Saha should go and use that money for a decent striker, Villa fits that. But Dong can come in and play, plus we have Rossi back next year.

This pre-season we will sign Hargreaves and thats it , anyone who says other wise is kidding themselves. We simply don't have the money to get more than one 'big' signing these days.

Plus Smith has been awesome in the last two games yet some of you are expecting him to score over 25 goals a season, he is not that type of predatory striker, 10-15 goals a since is more likely from him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred_the_Red:

Smith has the potential to be a 25 goal striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if he has an really outstanding season. His finishing has never been that good. ASifb is right, 15-goal-a-season-man max.

I think Saha should go and use that money for a decent striker, Villa fits that. But Dong can come in and play, plus we have Rossi back next year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, Saha isn't a bad striker, nowhere near in fact, but his persistent injury problems mean he can't be relied upon to contribute for long spells. 2006 was relatively injury free for him and he did really well, but since the Christmas period he's been out of form/increasingly injured which does us no good. Thats the only reason I'd advocate his sale at this point.

Secondly, you're dreaming if you think selling Saha gets us anywhere near the amount it would take for us to prise Villa away from Valencia & ASifb is right again when he says that Hargreaves is likely to be the primary, possibly only, target to warrant major spending.

We may have Rossi back for next season but it remains to be seen how Fergie will use him & as far as Dong goes, from what I understand based on the regular reserve watchers in here he's nowhere near ready to contribute regularly at the level we need him to.

I'd be interested to see what people think of RSBs assertion that rather than spend £17mill on Hargreaves (if that figure coming out of Bayern is accurate), SAF should give Pique a chance to operate as DM rather than a CB & invest elsewhere.

I've already said that I agree with ASifb that Hargreaves is likely to be the main target for Fergie in the summer, but as far as those who've seen Pique play, would it be viable to have him operate like that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED are ready to make a sensational summer move for Michael Owen.

Sir Alex Ferguson has focused his search for a striker on Newcastle's 27-year-old England star, who has a £12million release clause in his contract.

Owen has been out with a serious knee injury since last summer's World Cup finals but scored in a friendly game against Gretna last week.

Pleading

He has been pleading with Toon boss Glenn Roeder for a chance in the first-team and could make his comeback against Chelsea next week.

Ferguson will only launch a bid if he is fully satisfied Owen has recovered from the knee operation.

A well-placed United source told us: "It is no secret that Sir Alex wants another striker and he is bound to be attracted by someone of Owen's pedigree at such a competitive price. Naturally we would have to be certain he has recovered from his injury and that is why his return will be closely monitored.

"Ideally we want to see him in action for several games between now and the end of the season."

United's interest is certain to appeal to Owen, even though he still feels a debt to Newcastle after they paid £16m to sign him from Real Madrid nearly two years ago.

Owen still has his main home in the north-west, near Chester, even though he has a property in the north-east.

He is itching to get back into Premiership action and has also earmarked England's Euro Championship qualifier against Estonia in June for his international return. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO !!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

No no no, ffs.

At the risk of showing too much faith in our youngsters, I reckon Rossi could make an important contribution next season. He obviously knows where the goal is, having been prolific at every level all the way up to now Serie A, the league with supposedly the best defences in the world [/ignoring7-1] icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, from what I can recall the main concerns for him in our first team is that he's too lightweight too play as a centre forward and that he's too similar to Rooney. Well if we persist with this 4-2-Lots formation then his movement and intelligence should keep him away from the physical battles, while he can interchange with Wazza and Ronnie as Giggsy does atm. Ultimately I think he can replace Giggs in his current position in the long term. From that point of view our front four (if you will) for next season would be Ronaldo-Giggs-Rooney; Smudge, with Solskjaer-Rossi-Park; Saha as cover. Plus Dong's marketing money to bankroll a replacement for Ole icon_biggrin.gif

best thing about Smudge is that while he's not prolific, he brings the best out of those he plays with. probably makes up for the shortfall in his own goal tally with those he helps create for others either directly or indirectly.

Archived