The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Anyone worried about Fletchers future if we sign hargs, hargs seems to be really the same all energy performances as fletcher has been given us at a high level recently. really wouldnt want to waste £20mill on hargs as we have our own little terrier in dazzle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've been saying for a while (louder since Fletch has turned in a couple of storming performances in Europe) that i don't see the point in paying a ridiculous fee for Hargreaves when a) we have Fletch who's not too far off him in quality terms and is younger, and b) we have other areas that need addressing and limited funds to work with.

if money was no object i'd still bring OH in, i think Fletch is versatile enough to still get plenty of games in either central midfield role or as part of a three.

and voted also.

just looking at train times, seems it is possible to get back from Northwich after reserve games as long as they still kick-off at 7pm. two-hour round trip though ffs. hope it doesn't put off the anti-glazer protestors if that's the reason they're moving the venue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

yeh i was so surprised with kakas turn of pace, absolutely rapid.

Anyone worried about Fletchers future if we sign hargs, hargs seems to be really the same all energy performances as fletcher has been given us at a high level recently. really wouldnt want to waste £20mill on hargs as we have our own little terrier in dazzle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No because Scholes has to retire soon and then where do we remain with Carrick and Fletcher? One of them gets injured and boom. O'Shea in the midfield again.

Great game, but I dread to see what our defence will be like for the next few games.

Fletch was ffffffb and after being one of those who never rated him before, I am happy to eat my own words and say that he has really shone the past few weeks and shown is talent to all. Well played sir.

Fletcher was brilliant against Roma and again last night. His confidence must be sky high.

Hargreaves would be still a good addition and I've long said he would be a good signing, but 20 million is too much for him. Apart from the fee it would not render Fletch surplus to requirements. United have been lucky with injuries in centre-midfield this year and ideally we need 4 top class players there. If we get Hargreaves this year, it will give him a year to bed in before we get Scholesy's replacement the season after.

Having said all that, if we only make one big signing, I'd feel a little bit disappointed if it was Hargreaves, no matter how highly I rate him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

Just to clarify, Gattuso going off opened things up a bit, but Man Utd were easily the better team before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easily the better team? Milan should have got a third within the first ten minutes of the second half. United were extremely stretched at the back and it really looked on the cards. Then himself left the field and that was the difference in the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

and voted also.

just looking at train times, seems it is possible to get back from Northwich after reserve games as long as they still kick-off at 7pm. two-hour round trip though ffs. hope it doesn't put off the anti-glazer protestors if that's the reason they're moving the venue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would need to get a taxi from the train station to the ground, its quite a trek too, down some long winding country roads with no paths, its impossible on public transport

hmm, only two miles from station to stadium according to their website, that's doable in half an hour. might have to go on a recce over the summer if this definitely happens.

where did you hear about it dean btw?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Also now he doesnt start everygame and has improved both his strength and overall game is there that much Fletch hate about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Catching up so going to post again in a minute about the match but I'm sorry to say yes there is. Far too many fans (well plenty of those I end up situated by) are showing little to no appreciation for his role in matches and its really starting to get on my nerves.

Even against Roma this Irish bloke in front of me was saying to the guys he'd come with that “I just can’t rate him. He’s not good enoughâ€. Not that that’s vitriolic language or anything but when you consider the context of what was an obscenely dominant midfield performance by Dazzle it’s bewildering how some people are judging him on some of his more inconsistent performances when he was younger, less well developed physically, and lacking in experience.

He’s an ace player and I for one think that if Fergie does pursue Hargreaves as he seems to want to then fair enough it’s his call but if it stifles the development of Fletch or crowds him out to the extent that he leaves I think that it’ll be a damn shame.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United supporters are facing ticket price rises of up to 14% next season.

The Old Trafford outfit have released details of pricings for the 2007-08 campaign, which could yet see them defending the treble.

While a range of measures have been introduced to effectively cut the cost of concessionary tickets, meaning an adult with two children will pay less next season than they did this, full price tickets have risen sharply.

The biggest increases are in the lower tiers of the North and South Stands, which will rise from £665 to £722, while the most expensive seats in the stadium are the upper tier of both stands, which rise over 12% to £836.

In addition, all season ticket holders not currently a member of the club's automatic cup scheme, which forces fans to buy tickets for cup games whether they intend to watch the game or not, will be required to join.

Junior tickets in the Family Stand will be frozen at £190, while all junior tickets in other sections of the stadium will be £10, a 48.7% reduction.

Over 65s will pay £20 or half the cost of an adult ticket in the appropriate section of the stadium, whichever is the lower.

Despite those initiatives, United are sure to be condemned by fans' groups, who warned of hefty increases in ticket prices once Malcolm Glazer completed his controversial takeover two years ago.

However, United officials can argue their move - which bucks the trend of other north-west clubs such as Blackburn, Bolton and Wigan who have cut the price of tickets - is justified given Old Trafford continues to sell out for virtually every home game.

The lowest crowd for any Red Devils' first-team game this season is 61,325 for the recent FA Cup sixth round replay with Middlesbrough, while all 18 Premiership home games have had attendances topping 75,000.'

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Mr Morgan, MSN s'il vous plait </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will the 2 of you get on SIRES over the next few days and post your teams icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

yeh i was so surprised with kakas turn of pace, absolutely rapid.

No because Scholes has to retire soon and then where do we remain with Carrick and Fletcher? One of them gets injured and boom. O'Shea in the midfield again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. I was one of those saying we've got too many leftbacks a few months back. Look at the situation now...

£20mill may be steep but it'd be worth it if we get a few league titles and European cups. Hargreaves seems like a level headed guy too, would fit in well with United, imo.

Talking about midfielders, who would you guys choose, if both were available at £20mil, Gerrard or Hargreaves? icon_wink.gif

the news we've all been waiting for.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ticket Prices 2007/08

Manchester United announces the ticket prices for the 2007/08 season.

• From next season, the price range for match tickets at Old Trafford will be £25 - £44 for One United members (£23 - £39 in 2006/07)

• Junior Season Tickets in the Family Stand will be frozen at £190

• All junior match tickets around the stadium will be £10, a reduction of up to 48.7%, which means that an adult taking two children to a match will pay less in 2007/08 than in the current season

• Prices for the over 65s will be capped, with seniors paying the lower of 50% of an adult ticket or £20 per match

• The remaining third of Season Ticket holders will be required to join the Automatic Cup Scheme

• A minimum 25% discount will be applied to Carling Cup games played at Old Trafford up to a semi final, subject to the agreement of the opposition and the Football League.

Season Ticket prices per section are:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Section 06/07 07/08 06/07 07/08

East Stand Lower 437 475 218.50 237.50 (last two prices refer to 65+)

West Stand Lower 437 475 218.50 237.50

North Stand Tier 3 513 570 256.50 285

Family Stand 551 589 275.50 294.50

Family Stand Under 16 190 190 n/a n/a

East Stand Upper 570 627 285 313.50

West Stand Upper 570 627 285 313.50

East Stand Tier 2 570 627 285 313.50

West Stand Tier 2 570 627 285 313.50

South West Lower 589 627 294.50 313.50

North East Quadrant 589 646 294.50 323

North West Quadrant 589 646 294.50 323

North East Quadrant Upper 665 722 332.50 361

North West Quadrant Upper 665 722 332.50 361

North Stand Tier 2 665 722 332.50 361

South Stand Lower Wing 665 722 332.50 361

North Stand Lower Wing 665 722 332.50 361

South Stand Lower Centre 665 760 332.50 380

North Stand Lower Centre 665 760 332.50 380

South Stand Upper Wing 703 798 351.50 380

North Stand Upper Wing 703 798 351.50 380

South Stand Upper Centre 741 836 370.50 380

North Stand Upper Centre 741 836 370.50 380

</pre>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£2 a game increase for me, £475. about what i expected really.

YAS for last night.

I was in E233 and it was better than I thought, stood for 90 minutes and a decent enough atmosphere. I loved it when Rooney scored, I went absolutely mental then turned and cheered to the Milan fans who were all giving it the pointing and slitting throats action. icon_biggrin.gif

It seemed weird being in a different seat than my usual one but the match was still amazing.

Seriously how long will it be before you lot decide is enough is actually enough and stop paying silly prices to watch football?

Obviously you see top end of football and players but you cant seriously be able to take such price rises every year?

because we are iirc icon_cool.gif

£95 increase for north/south stand people, gotta love that.

also love the way they go on about the carling cup thing as if it's some new policy that will benefit us. usually the opposition club veto reductions anyway, and when they don't we've had much more than a 25% discount.

Amazing game last night. Amazing atmosphere. Was 'sat' in the stretford end, but didn't sit down for the whole game. Signing constantly, was fb. Badly cut my shin after the first goal though, went a bit mental and grazed it on the seat in front icon_biggrin.gif

As for the game itself, disappointed to concede, but I think we showed by the way we played second half that we are always capable of causing them problems, and I didn't really see enough from Milan to suggest that we'll struggle over there. Thought Fletched was immense, again. Thought giggs had an off day, again.

Okay, caught up…

MOM: Darren Fletcher

2ND: Wayne Rooney

AFFG: Both were at the other end of the pitch so had to see the clips on SSN to clear things up. The first its difficult to say because someone loses Kaka from deep and Gabby’s clearly not ready when the Brazilian bursts/glides past him. The second clearly Evra as far as ultimate responsibility goes since he poleaxes Gabby rather than giving Kaka another obstacle. The guy is a delight to watch anyway but it doesn’t stop the second from being an avoidable screw-up.

I’ll echo all the plaudits given to Fletch already as far as being MOM & Rooney gets second since he was ultimately the match winner.

Overall I did think that we eased off the pressure a bit after scoring and allowed Milan to, if not threaten constantly, dictate the tempo enough so that they were in control for the majority of the first-half and the beginning of the second until Gattuso went off. Its not that we didn’t probe or get breaks but I never really felt like we were in charge during the first 45.

After Gattuso went off though Carrick was able to contribute more going forward even though he did well defensively for the most part all night and it was especially good for Scholesy who found more space to dictate the play. I think that we were getting the momentum anyway but without their enforcer in chief to chase us down in the second period I think the shift in fortunes was more dramatic than it might have been. I thought that Milan marshalled Ronny quite well overall and in the second half especially he was pretty marginalised. With him and Giggs out of the picture for the most part it’s a good job that our centre-mid trio and Rooney took hold of the game and won it for us.

It’s going to be tough in the second leg but at the minute I think we can do it. I only hope that we don’t succumb to any more injuries and that the players at risk of getting suspended for the final don’t do anything stupid whilst trying to remain committed to the cause because if we get to Athens, whomever we face, we’re going to need every able body we can get. On the whole I think it’s worth noting again that our resolve was strong when we went behind and I think that bodes well.

Final thing – pretty sure I was on the same train as Ryan/Rcjuk heading out of Manchester at 1030pm last night. V. short brown hair, dark blue jacket, got off at Stockport, sat next to a guy eating what looked like a meatball Subway? Anyway, thought about saying hello briefly but figured that (A) it might not be him & (B) a late night train that’s pretty busy might not be the best place to as “are you Rcjuk from OTF?â€â€¦

yeah, that was one pass though. struggling to think of another he wasted all night bar one to Carrick late on where Carrick slipped and couldn't change direction to get it. if people are going to slag him off for one early misplaced pass when he's gone one to have a fantastic game then they're complete morons.

When Fletch made that first pass 700 mile over Egvras head i thought he would have a bad game but he didnt.

His passing suprised the hell out of me because i havent seen him do that before for the first team. It wasnt just simple passing it was great vision to pick out the best option and some eye of the needle stuff that came off everytime.

Fletchers performance pretty much summed up when he had the ball just inside the Milan half with two Milan players in front of him and he just skipped in between them both.

He really has stepped up in these last two european performances and was MoM last night for me and if i can see how good he has been lately i just assumed everyone else would.

Dont buy the us not needing Hargreaves though. We do. I wouldnt have paid and still think the Carrick fee was too much but i'm glad we have the lad and i dont see too many cheaper options available at this minute who could do a good job for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

yeah, and i'm saying anyone who gets into that mindset based on one misplaced pass and refused to be swayed by the following brilliant 89 minutes isn't remotely worth listening to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true

Unless my finances change dramatically in the near future I'm probably going to be applying more for the lower end of that ticket price bracket rather than the seats I've been going for this season.

Am I the only one looking at those price changes thinking that they've pulled a smart move with their uniform price for junior tickets around the ground?

For all the people they price out of tickets due to increased costs there will always be people to fill the ground as long as we're successful and if more affluent young families are in the ground then I'd have thought that they are likely to offset any deficit in junior tickets with increased merchandising sales, from the Megastore especially.

Or am I wrong and such families will be regular merchandise buyers regardless of whether they are at the ground? I'd have thought that "being there" would strengthen longer consumer loyalty to the club and the allure of the brand rather than kids just being fickle and jumping to whatever the new success story on the block is if we have another dip as some have done with Chelsea/Arsenal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was 'sat' in the stretford end, but didn't sit down for the whole game. Signing constantly, was fb. Badly cut my shin after the first goal though, went a bit mental and grazed it on the seat in front Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect advert for safe standing that

Standing is safer then seating fact

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Scholes didn't get a yellow card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>absolute certainty to get booked in Milan /o\ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought. Another missed final for Scholesy.

Unless . . . but that would be silly tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Why did Milan have the little corner bit last night of the usual away section? They didn't fill the big section in East T2 so why have United given them 500 on the corner? It happened against Benfica too iirc, strange. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think there were different priced tickets, i was sat right next to that little gang of milan fans and the majority of them were dress fancy.

east stand can fo with the millions of U N I T E D chants, get some originality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

iirc if we win the league everton get 500k.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So they're still making money from Rooney ?

Why is Moyes trying to sue him, ffs ?

also had this racist twat behind me who thought nothing of calling Dida a monkey and making monkey noises at him, as well as calling Seedorf 'that black ****'. will fling an email the club's way about that methinks, took no notice of a couple of us calling him up on it. was sat with a bunch of his mates who were all whingeing old bastards who spent more time shouting 'SIIIIIIDAAAAAAAAAAHN' than actually supporting the team, quite brilliant justice that they left before the goal really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how old was this guy nick? did you report him to the nearest steward? i hope you do email them

had some twat behind me racially abuse benni mccarthy against blackburn, gave him an angrey glare and he became all apologetic after the game, i wasnt too bothered about it but it was disappointing to hear, first time ive heard that at ot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brunob:

sorry for going off topic, but i just bought a man u jersey the other day, do you guys think they will keep the same jersey next season? i hope so its the best looking jersey i have seen in awhile. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any professional sports team keeps the jersey the same every year. Why do that when you can get the diehards buying your new:

Home.

Away.

3rd.

Champions League.

Retro.

jerseys every year, at the low low price of £39.99 each.

fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This year's shirt is a retro design, tbf.

Celebrating 50 years Of Busby Babes-ness.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

My ‘Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!’ as Giggs seemingly played a rubbish ball to Rooney turned into a ‘Yeeeeeeeeessssssssss!!’ as the boy wonder produced his miracle feels funny in retrospect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine started off more "CUUUU . . . ", and then slowly turned into an "Aaarrrrghghgh-YAAAAS !"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brunob:

sorry for going off topic, but i just bought a man u jersey the other day, do you guys think they will keep the same jersey next season? i hope so its the best looking jersey i have seen in awhile. thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think any professional sports team keeps the jersey the same every year. Why do that when you can get the diehards buying your new:

Home.

Away.

3rd.

Champions League.

Retro.

jerseys every year, at the low low price of £39.99 each.

fake edit - I just looked up their site, they shockingly, are not on the retro bandwagon. Missing out there glazer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This year's shirt is a retro design, tbf.

Celebrating 50 years Of Busby Babes-ness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shhh eddie, he's trying to troll.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

Anyone see The Times ratings for your players last night? It was dreadful icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When they give Gattuso a 6 for "typically naked aggression" you know that whomever did the ratings is about as clueless as Alan Green.

Archived