The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking day, shame we couldn't send em down, but between the team we put out and the Cup final looming, nevermind the fact that we once again dominated from first to last yet let in the only goal, and could've feasibly had a penner against, you can't really complain.

MOTM: Wesley. Absolutely immense, again. Please don't sell him, such a valuable back-up. Still maintain his off-periods this season are more of a blip than anything, when you think of his pre-Vida and late season form.

2nd: Gaby. Seemed back to himself today, though still quite clearly not a centre half. So many full blooded death or glory challenges though. Good to see.

Thought Sheasy, Fletch and, yes, Our Kier all had good games today. Sorry lads, but I think Kier should be retained til at least January. Let him fill Park's 'wing cover' role til he's fit again, then see if Homohair's still sufficiently **** to deserve chucking off. But for me, the last few games since the Roma booing - hopefully that scared some sense into him - he's been reasonable to very good, and good overall. Today I thought he was class - sound touch, good decision making, made simple passes when he needed too, made clever passes when he could, ran at players and unsettled them, and is always dangerous with a shot from distance. I was as anti-Richardson as anyone, but I really do think he's turned a corner lately, and he's worth a bit more time. Richardson > Silvestre in the summer selling stakes by a long chalk, imo.

CHAMPIONS!

Am I the only one not buying into this "Richardson has been decent over the last few games" thing? He hasn't done anything to warrant it. He has maybe given the ball away a bit less but that's about it. Eagles has done more in his few minutes on the pitch than him.

He should be sold (and many thought he was a cert a few weeks ago) but he won't be. He'll still be here next season. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

Am I the only one not buying into this "Richardson has been decent over the last few games" thing? He hasn't done anything to warrant it. He has maybe given the ball away a bit less but that's about it. Eagles has done more in his few minutes on the pitch than him.

He should be sold (and many thought he was a cert a few weeks ago) but he won't be. He'll still be here next season. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only one ? Nope, not at all.

Apparently according to Robbie Slater we really need to strengthen that defence that's had 4 team of the year players in it and has still managed to cope reasonably well with tonnes of injuries :*(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

He should be sold (and many thought he was a cert a few weeks ago) but he won't be. He'll still be here next season. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only one ? Nope, not at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if he has improved slightly, he's still nowhere near good enough to stay. I'd much rather see Eagles as cover next year.

You're not alone mate. Richardson is respnsible for Maddie being abducted and apart from this is definitely deserving of aids/cancer and or both.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Apparently according to Robbie Slater we really need to strengthen that defence that's had 4 team of the year players in it and has still managed to cope reasonably well with tonnes of injuries :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>had to laugh at that when I heard it. Defence needs strengthening, whilst prsiaing vds who's been dodgy the last 2 months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

From the sunday mirror

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

AFTER FERGIE & CO WIN A NINTH PREMIERSHIP TITLE, RIVALS CITY BRAG ABOUT BEATING UNITED IN THE MANCHESTER SENIOR CUP FINAL!

(And, yes, it's massive in the blue half of Manchester)

Edited By David James 13/05/2007

MANCHESTER CITY have always been kings of comedy, but the way the club's website heralded their latest trophy success had Manchester United fans wondering whether there's a Red working in the Blue camp.

During a week when Sir Alex Ferguson's men were celebrating a 1-0 win over their rivals at Eastlands which set up their ninth Premiership title, City's claim to revenge came when their reserves triumphed 3-1 over United's second string in the final of the Manchester Senior Cup at Old Trafford.

Hardly a trophy with which any club would claim to have ended 31 years of hurt.

Yet the City website proclaimed: "Following Tuesday night's thrilling 3-1 victory over Manchester United in the final of the Manchester Senior Cup at Old Trafford, the City Experience (museum and tour) has updated its trophy cabinet and now forms part of the Experience's display."

And City wonder why United fans nickname them "The Massives". The Mole understands a decision on an open-top bus parade has yet to be made.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I was waiting all day for one of you to post that last week icon_frown.gif

The problem with Richardson has been that he's been so dire all season, as soon as he completes 5 passes in a game that's an improvement. His late season has moved him a couple of notches up, which means he's reached the dizzy heights of merely 'woeful'. People talk about him being not that bad yesterday, but he didn't beat his man once all day. The best he got was hitting the full back with crosses to get a few corners. Apart from that he had one decent shot (the one aspect of his game that's actually reasonable), but even then that was from a number of attempts.

It says it all that his best cross of the day was his awful right foot shot that Rooney nearly got a header on goal from.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Apparently according to Robbie Slater we really need to strengthen that defence that's had 4 team of the year players in it and has still managed to cope reasonably well with tonnes of injuries :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to be fair, we do need a new young right back to cover/challenge/eventually replace Gaz, but it's not exactly a priority. Whether one of the promising young defenders we have could do that i don't know, as i get the feeling all the real prospects are centre backs by trade?

I'm sure Nick will tell us, if everyone can wait 6-7 hours for him to get out of bed?

Danny Simpson will most likely be Gaz's replacement, but he's still at least a year off. He's a lot more faster and technical than Bardsley who will almost certainly be sold this summer. What he lacks is build but having been at Sunderland for 4 months, he'll bulked up quite a lot. He's almost certain to spend next season on loan at Sunderland

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Apparently according to Robbie Slater we really need to strengthen that defence that's had 4 team of the year players in it and has still managed to cope reasonably well with tonnes of injuries :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to be fair, we do need a new young right back to cover/challenge/eventually replace Gaz, but it's not exactly a priority. Whether one of the promising young defenders we have could do that i don't know, as i get the feeling all the real prospects are centre backs by trade?

I'm sure Nick will tell us, if everyone can wait 6-7 hours for him to get out of bed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's got a job interview shortly iirc...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

He's got a job interview shortly iirc... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not falling for that one icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

mart apologies for not meeting you, waited by the wall for a bit but it was p!ssing it down so ran for cover then my phone ran out of batteries icon13.gif

what did you end up doing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we went to martins place as we were all wet, had a few cans, watched family guy then went home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get it right dammit

You lot were all wet where as my lovely waterproof jacket kept me dry regardless of its ever so slightly bright colour.

As for going home surely you mean driven to your doorstep icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

of course

I said thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick just went for the ride tbh he could of gone home first

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

ahahaha, article in the independent referring to us as 'one of the world's wealthiest clubs' icon_biggrin.gif

how can a national newspaper not be accountable for allowing such crap </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even with the Glazer's being a bit tight I would have expected you to be in the top ten? Depending on how you measure wealth I suppose...

Still - SIEGE MENTALITY and all that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Even with the Glazer's being a bit tight I would have expected you to be in the top ten? Depending on how you measure wealth I suppose... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

800m debt

we can't afford the intrest paymnts on it every year

Thats how i measure wealth

Wealthest clubs in the world has ALWAYS been done on the profit a club makes the past year. In which case #1 and #2 is always you/Real Madrid.

No one, has ever ever ever in these "top 10 club wealthest clubs in the world" lists taken into account how much debt or how much money a club has in it's bank accounts.

Quit making out every media outlet in the world is out to get icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Wealthest clubs in the world has ALWAYS been done on the profit a club makes the past year. In which case #1 and #2 is always you/Real Madrid.

No one, has ever ever ever in these "top 10 club wealthest clubs in the world" lists taken into account how much debt or how much money a club has in it's bank accounts.

Quit making out every media outlet in the world is out to get icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quit making excuses for every piece of poor journalism. icon_razz.gif

if the article in question was a top 10 list as you say, then fair enough, rightly or wrongly it is always done that way, although given the nature of football it's a meaningless stat, as the only one that counts is spending power for transfers and wages.

If, as i suspect, it was a throwaway line within an article, it's nonsense, because it creates a wholely false impression about our spending power in the transfer market. That's what gets people annoyed, it's nothing to do with thinking the media have any sort of hidden agenda.

got most of the players autographs yesterday.

major props to rio, saha, fletcher, richardson, o'shea, carrick, smith, solskjaer, brown and evra for staying out in the p!ss cold and rain to spend at least 15 minutes signing for people.

not so much props for rooney and ronaldo doing about 5 signings then going home and even less for giggsy and heinze who ignored everyone.

still, all heroes :****)

oh, and brown telling me the medals were made of chocolate icon_biggrin.gif bloody premier league tightarses

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">oh, and brown telling me the medals were made of chocolate bloody premier league tightarses </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they told Evra that too. Paddy was there trying to bite it all the way through the celebrations on TV. icon_biggrin.gif

right lads i want to express my disgust at the fact that the 2 national newspapers i picked up earlier (times and independent) - NEITHER of them have any real coverage of us with the title. not even one picture in the times. ****ing disgrace, i am actually outraged

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Kicker in Germany reckons you're signing Hargreaves for €25m plus success based add-ons.

mentioned a little way down http://www.kicker.de/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/artikel/365580/

Would be funnier than paying Sidwell loads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how would getting someone we were all expecting to cost £20m for £15/16m be worse than paying an average carrot-top £52k a week? :/

got most of the players autographs yesterday.

major props to rio, saha, fletcher, richardson, o'shea, carrick, smith, solskjaer, brown and evra for staying out in the p!ss cold and rain to spend at least 15 minutes signing for people.

not so much props for rooney and ronaldo doing about 5 signings then going home and even less for giggsy and heinze who ignored everyone.

still, all heroes :****)

oh, and brown telling me the medals were made of chocolate icon_biggrin.gif bloody premier league tightarses </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was that afterwards? was gonna hang around in the hope of getting Gaby's as he might be off and he's the only current player i've not got an autograph from, seems like it was a wise decision not to.

gotta go to Sale for an interview tomorrow, might go to Carrington on the way and get him to sign something on his way in/home. assuming they're all in for training tomorrow ofc.

right lads i want to express my disgust at the fact that the 2 national newspapers i picked up earlier (times and independent) - NEITHER of them have any real coverage of us with the title. not even one picture in the times. ****ing disgrace, i am actually outraged </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is there any decent coverage in any of the tabloids. will wander down to the shop if there is, cba if there's not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

MUTV free atm for some reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

player of the year awards tonight, either that's ace timing or (more likely) deliberate. seem to remember the awards being on freeview last year as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

right lads i want to express my disgust at the fact that the 2 national newspapers i picked up earlier (times and independent) - NEITHER of them have any real coverage of us with the title. not even one picture in the times. ****ing disgrace, i am actually outraged </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is there any decent coverage in any of the tabloids. will wander down to the shop if there is, cba if there's not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Sun had a good double page spread of us with the trophy, on the front and back cover of SuperGoals

Archived