The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How did i forget Southend when voting for this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

most people tend to wipe those sort of results from memory.

for me losing like that to southend was far worse than losing to the eventual european cup winners.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on an altogether happier note, the other side of the coin, Best Team Performance. so many more options, and yet far less nominations:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United 7 Roma 1

United 4 Blackburn 1

Bolton 0 United 4

Spurs 0 United 4

Everton 2 United 4 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How did i forget Southend when voting for this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for me losing like that to southend was far worse than losing to the eventual european cup winners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree totally

Think i voted West Ham for this one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

for me losing like that to southend was far worse than losing to the eventual european cup winners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My vote was for beating the scouse. Still so happy that one of our worst performances resulted in a crucial 3 points. Not to mention it was the last minute against Liverpool at Anfield.

And it was O'Shea icon_cool.gif

All the people calling Louis 'disappointing' are usually the ones saying he's not fit to lace Ruud's boots. You can't have it both ways. He's either awesome and hasn't performed this season, or is a second rate striker in which case 14 goals is a cracking return.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

technically Richardson wasn't disappointing. He fulfilled all my expectations of him this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I classified him as being disappointing because he keeps scoring meaningless goals when he comes on/gets a game.

Disappointing because it means he gets kept at the club longer.

The bastard.

joint third = the wins over Spurs and Blackburn. the latter criminally underrated imo, terrific second half.

and in joint second, the wins over Bolton and Everton.

but there was really only ever going to be one winner here. the quite freakishly awesome everything-that-we-touched-turned-to-gold 7-1 mauling of Roma.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Can't believe getting beat away by the European Champions beat getting beat by the bottom of the Championship as worst performance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

different starting elevens, different competitions, different priorities

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Can't believe getting beat away by the European Champions beat getting beat by the bottom of the Championship as worst performance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

different starting elevens, different competitions, different priorities </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can see why citeh fans struggle with concepts like this tbf...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

technically Richardson wasn't disappointing. He fulfilled all my expectations of him this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I classified him as being disappointing because he keeps scoring meaningless goals when he comes on/gets a game.

The bastard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough. wouldn't mind to much if he stayed one more season and won a hattrick of "the Kieran Richardson award for worst player at the club" though. Would definitly be an achievement.

Best Individual Performance time. plenty of competition for this one:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ronaldo vs Bolton (h)

Giggs vs Roma (h)

Scholes vs Newcastle (a)

Ronaldo vs Fulham (a)

Rooney vs Bolton (a)

Rooney vs Bolton (h)

Carrick vs Roma (h)

Fletcher vs Roma (h)

Ronaldo vs Villa (a)

Rio vs Liverpool (a)

JOS vs Spurs (a)

Ronaldo vs Spurs (a)

any time Ronnie got booed

Rooney vs Wigan (a) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, the first half against Roma was some of the best one touch, attacking football I have seen us play. The only period imo this season which matched it was the first half against Bolton.

I went with the Roma game as the end result was so much better AND it was on arguably the biggest stage in club football. Made everyone around the world who hadn't already noticed sit up and take note of the kind of football we've been playing this season. I wouldn't be surprised if that performance played a part in us landing Anderson and Nani.

Fletch's all action display against the Romans and Ronnie's one-man rescue act at Craven Cottage share third.

in second is that man again, Ronaldo single-handedly putting Bolton to the sword at OT

our winner by quite a way though involved the same opponents - Wayne Rooney's brilliant hattrick at the Reebok

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

The bastard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair enough. wouldn't mind to much if he stayed one more season and won a hattrick of "the Kieran Richardson award for worst player at the club" though. Would definitly be an achievement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can live with it changing to become the 'Kieran Richardson Memorial Award For Crap Players' and him never gracing the pitch in the red of United ever again.

right, o2 can suck my balls, we're moving onto the Award for Worst Decision, in association with Polack's parents buying cheap, unreliable prophalactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Worst Decision:

Only signing Larsson for 3 months

Selling Ruud

Whenever 'Richardson 23' appeared on the squad list

Not seeing us follow the trend in the Premiership and freeze/reduce ST prices

Going 4-5-1/4-3-3 in the cup final

Going 451 in Milan

Leaving Giggs on for so long in the cup final

Sending Rossi to Newcastle

Any Roma fan who thought walking down SMBW was a good idea

Not making a change in Milan until 75th minute

Any time we've played 451

Resting players against West Ham, missing the chance to send those awful twats down all for a tin pot cup

Playing that ludicrous friendly mid-season

Kieran Richardson's parents trying for a baby

Selling David Jones, and for such a paltry sum

Letting martin go to milan and letting him drink those **** off big 'pints'

Not buying that Roma ticket

To not sell Richardson

Tactics in Europe

Letting the squad get so thin

Bolton's penalty at OT, wtf?

Mart leaving early

Relying so heavily on Saha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

We expected a half arsed, gutless, souless, negative, pathetic performance at Southend. Not in the San Siro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was anyone anything more than hopeful in the san siro, given our dire european away record (even this season) and our less than convincing home performance?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

We expected a half arsed, gutless, souless, negative, pathetic performance at Southend. Not in the San Siro </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was anyone anything more than hopeful in the san siro, given our dire european away record (even this season) and our less than convincing home performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If i'd had to bet, even given our away record in europe, i'd have had my money on glorious failure rather than going out with a whimper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Heh, wonder what Nick's vote went to here.

Expect Jones to win, lads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

believe it or not, that wasn't me icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Can't remember what i voted for here

Think 451 in europe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just opened outlook to check what mine were for this too icon_biggrin.gif

was anyone anything more than hopeful in the san siro, given our dire european away record (even this season) and our less than convincing home performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, but I think most of us thought we'd at least give it a go and come out fighting rather than the blast from the past performance that we got.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

believe it or not, that wasn't me icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o Guilty.

3rd - Selling Ruud. think we may be seeing this one again tonight.

2nd - whenever Richardson's name appeared on the squad list. cruelly denied.

and in 1st, and i've been a bit creative and combined a few nominations into one bigger catch-all nomination to get an overall winner, it's bottling it and going 451 in most of the big games. at least with our new boys it might just work next season...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

KR is amazing in FM. The resaearcher must love him or something? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've already decimated his stats ffs. it's like he has some kind of invincibility, like when you get the star on mario kart. the bastard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. Just threw a free at him. It worked this time. icon_cool.gif

Now a Spurz player. icon_biggrin.gif

and in 1st, and i've been a bit creative and combined a few nominations into one bigger catch-all nomination to get an overall winner, it's bottling it and going 451 in most of the big games. at least with our new boys it might just work next season... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... if we find a '1' we can rely on icon_frown.gif

different starting elevens, different competitions, different priorities </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can see why citeh fans struggle with concepts like this tbf... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't give me that rubbish icon_biggrin.gif

The League Cup at the time was a high priority, just like it had been for a few years now as you weren't expected to go on and win the league or CL. Your starting XI was:

Kuszczak

O'Shea

Brown

Silvestre

Heinze

Ronaldo

David Jones

Fletcher

Richardson

Smith

Rooney

You were awful that night with an extremely strong side, I can't see how its even comparable

to being totally outclassed on the night by the European Champions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSB:

believe it or not, that wasn't me icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o Guilty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i just realised i actually voted for it too \O/

finished fourth, so close

finding the team, let it go eric you sad twat icon_biggrin.gif

the nature of the performance against milan is what people had an issue with. we didnt look remotely bothered that we were going out of a european cup semi final, its hard to compare that with the carling cup or whatever drink sponsored it this year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

How did i forget Southend when voting for this </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't count that as a United game, tbh. Wasn't United on the pitch, was it ?

You can see why citeh fans struggle with concepts like this tbf... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't give me that rubbish icon_biggrin.gif

The League Cup at the time was a high priority, just like it had been for a few years now as you weren't expected to go on and win the league or CL. Your starting XI was:

Kuszczak

O'Shea

Brown

Silvestre

Heinze

Ronaldo

David Jones

Fletcher

Richardson

Smith

Rooney

You were awful that night with an extremely strong side, I can't see how its even comparable

to being totally outclassed on the night by the European Champions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We clearly didn't give a monkeys, we started David Jones.

DAVID JONES, FFS!

Archived