The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Howard probe dropped

By David Bond

Manchester United's first Premiership title in four years will not be threatened by a Premier League probe into the transfer of goalkeeper Tim Howard to Everton.

The League contacted United and Everton officials to ask them why Howard did not play in last week's Premiership game between the two teams at Goodison Park.

Howard joined Everton on a season-long loan deal from United last summer, which became permanent in February.

Premier League rules on loan deals prevent players from facing their parent clubs but, once the Howard deal became permanent, he was eligible to play against his old team.

advertisement

The Premier League would not have sanctioned the transfer if United had requested a clause preventing Howard from playing against them. But prior to last week's game, Everton manager David Moyes appeared to suggest there had been a verbal agreement between the clubs over Howard's omission.

That alerted the League who feared Everton and United might have been guilty of breaking rule U18, the same regulation relating to third-party interference which West Ham breached in the Javier Mascherano and Carlos Tevez controversy, costing them a record £5.5 million.

A heavy fine or points deduction could have been imposed on Everton and United but the League issued a statement yesterday confirming both teams were in the clear after finding no written proof.

The statement said: "We sought further clarification from both clubs and are satisfied that there were no agreements that breached any of our rules." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here we go already...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sir Alex Ferguson has identified three summer transfer targets to bolster his title-winning Manchester United squad.

Ferguson maybe still basking in the glory of a ninth Premiership crown but already the Scot's mind has drifted towards next season, when he expects Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal to provide a stiff challenge to the Red Devils newly-reclaimed domestic supremacy.

And he has told chief executive David Gill the trio of new faces he believes will give United their best chance of finishing top of the pile again next term.

'We have outlined three targets and David Gill is aware of them,' said Ferguson.

'As everyone knows, there is competition for the best players and when there is competition, it costs, so we will just have to wait and see.'

Ferguson refused to go public with the names of the players United will go for but Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves will certainly be one, with Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov also believed to be near the top of his list.

While Spurs boss Martin Jol may be unwilling to part with Berbatov 12 months after selling Michael Carrick to United, the blow may be softened by the arrival in return of Louis Saha, whose United days appear to be numbered.

If rumours of a Juventus move for Gabriel Heinze prove correct then young Southampton defender Gareth Bale, whom Ferguson targeted during the last transfer window, can also expect to be on the United manager's hit-list.

However, in the knowledge that Chelsea are bound to splash the cash this summer in a bid to overhaul his side, Ferguson is keen to do his business quietly.

'Manchester United has always been an attraction,' he said.

'We have 76,000 people watching us every week and have a celebrity status which means we are known throughout the world.

'It is not a question of attracting players. The real competition comes when Chelsea pay £27million for someone like Michael Essien. They can outbid us all.

'We identify players as quietly as we can so we can do things quickly.

'It is not easy, but that is what we are trying to do.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

posted in teh other thread

xx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

meh

Don't know how I'll feel when Gabby leaves. On one hand, he's a king, but on the other he's been rather ordinary since Evra came.

Any feeling will probably be washed away when I hear that we've spent £15m on Bale though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Mourinho still not actually said we deserved it (and probably never will) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loved the skysports interview.

"i am proud of my players, because all season we had to contend with everything, absolutely everything....."

"....we did well, having to compete with Everything, and when i say Everything, i keep to myself what everything is, but my players know what everything is and they competed with everything" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rolled up when I heard that yesterday. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Swap Glazers for Bates?

That's a tough one

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't. Really. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Mourinho still not actually said we deserved it (and probably never will) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"i am proud of my players, because all season we had to contend with everything, absolutely everything....."

"....we did well, having to compete with Everything, and when i say Everything, i keep to myself what everything is, but my players know what everything is and they competed with everything" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rolled up when I heard that yesterday. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was wondering how often he was going to say Everything.

And we know what he's alluding to as well, he's moaned enough about it throughout the season. It's mainly about how disgusting Reading were to take out his two goalkeepers and how they have always had it unfairly in terms of when they have played compared to United. It's been unfair when they played first, because United knew what they had to do, and it was unfair when they played second, because United had already put themselves ahead and they had to play catch up.

Probably a few more things i can't think of right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Swap Glazers for Bates?

That's a tough one

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Lucifer or Azazel?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

I rolled up when I heard that yesterday. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was wondering how often he was going to say Everything.

And we know what he's alluding to as well, he's moaned enough about it throughout the season. It's mainly about how disgusting Reading were to take out his two goalkeepers and how they have always had it unfairly in terms of when they have played compared to United. It's been unfair when they played first, because United knew what they had to do, and it was unfair when they played second, because United had already put themselves ahead and they had to play catch up.

Probably a few more things i can't think of right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't forget all the BLATANT penalties that weren't being given against us. love the way that on saturday we do finally get one given against us and it's dodgy - Jose's probably sat there with a smug grin thinking his plan has worked, only for VDS to save it \O/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Love the thought of Smith winning the Premiership on the same day Leeds go down to League One.

Ole icon_cool.gif Hope he played enough games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, comfortably. his sixth title :***)

The BBC really arent happy with us winning. MOTD and their site still havent given credit where its due. They are putting the title win down to Chelseas injury crisis and behind the scenes wars.

Also now having another go at the fans saying how Good the Glazers have been for the club and how wrong all the fans were.

BBC just all out taking the p!ss.

yeah, i was gonna comment on this. it'll sound bitter and i'm really not (still giddy as f**k frankly), but it irks me a tad the way not just the BBC but almost all the media outlets seem to be either banging on about Chelsea's brave effort and how incredible it was that they pushed us so far with such a crippling injury list, or going on as if Chelsea lost the title, rather than us winning it. bar one weekend in October, Chelsea have never had first place to lose, it's been us leading the way, us keeping them at bay, even through some pretty horrendous injury problems of our own at THE crucial time of the season. i'll generously assume this is at least partly because of the way the title was confirmed without us playing and, credit where it's due, Chelsea refused to give up right to the last yesterday, but it'd be nice to see that redressed over the next few days. we've been the best side in the country, the best side to watch and we're entirely deserving champions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

The thing is the way it's going not only have we won the league but we can also win it by some distance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beat Chelsea on Wednesday and it's ten points icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

oh and in the mirror end of season ratings, richardson got a 7 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They also called Eagles a Yank.

I just like how with you lot (same with me as well so I'm know different) not only do we require our team to do good (or bad in Leeds case), almost as important as that is then the reaction of others.

Leeds going down and being in Administration doens't bother me as much as the reaction of every single person in the UK saying "all Leeds fans are scum, dirty Leeds etc"

You've won the league, but don't like how the BBC et al arn't giving you enough praise.

icon_frown.gif

The BBC thing doesnt bother me.. but I dont see why it cant be a discussion point that they've struggled to give us a great deal of credit thus far. At least from what I've seen.

Most of MOTD2 was a debate over Chelsea's crippling injuries and their brave fight against it.

They fail to mention our injuries though. We too lost Edwin for a few games. Lost our whole back 4 at one point, why does it matter that we were a few points in front at that time?

Not to mention Saha, he was fantastic for us in the first half of the season, just watch the games back he scored lots of goals and was great. He was a huge miss with a mis-firing Rooney.

didnt Giggs miss a month at one point? Scholes had two suspensions to face.

Archived