Managing in Italy

Just wondering what everyone's experiences were (wether good or bad) managing in the Italian Serie A? I have never managed in Italy before and am intrigued by the possibility of starting a new save there and am wondering whether it is a tactically interesting/fun league to manage in? It seems interesting because in all my save games whenever I glance across at the Italian league table it seems very unpredictable and competetive, with no team ever running away with the league (though Juventus do usually seem to win it 1st season).

I also want to try out different tactics and formations, as in England and Spain I always play 4-2-3-1, high pressing, fast paced football, but I am intrigued by playing a slow tempo, possession based 5-3-2/3-6-1 formation with a packed midfield and marauding wingbacks (classing Italian way of playing :cool:).

What are your thoughts on Serie A, and how does it match up to as a save in comparison to England, Spain etc? Also, which teams did you enjoy your success or suffer your failures with? :p

I've managed a number of teams in Italy over the years but not since FM12.

My experience is that it was always a competitive league with around 10 clubs chasing the European places each season. Most teams played quite narrow back then with 4132, 4312 & 4321 being common formations to play against at least to start with.

I'm managing in Serie A for the 1st time with this issue of FM and I am loving it.

I am managing San Marino and while it wasn't easy to get to Serie A, once I was there it was relatively easy to avoid relegation, (in comparison to previous experiences in Premiership for example).

I play a slow tempo, (although not the formations you mention), and it seems to particularly suit, (I have never had the problems with my AF scoring that other people playing 1 up front seem to get).

The league itself is usually quite tight with a mix of Juve, AC Milan, Inter, Napoli & now San Marino being the dominant parties. Usually the league is won by less than 5 points, (although Juve beat Inter by 15 points in 2017/18, by 11 points in 2019/20). We won last years title, (on results between teams), so it's very competitive.

Sampdoria are now owned by a Welsh Tycoon and are making big in-roads into the established hierarchy.

Interestingly, (I have never noticed this before), Juve have really been investing in the club infrastructure during this save.

Oct 2014. Youth & Training facilities upgraded.

Oct 2017. Expanded stadium to 51,036 capacity.

Jul 2020. Expanded stadium to 63,631 capacity.

Oct 2023. Youth & Training facilities upgraded.

Jul 2028. Expanded stadium to 78,815 capacity.

Nov 2031. Youth & Training facilities upgraded.

I have liked that relatively smaller clubs have got promoted and done well.

Latina are now and established Serie A team who are knocking on the door of Europe.

Cittadella have been a bit of a yo-yo club and but look like they are on the way to avoiding relegation from Serie A this season.

Modena are the same. Gradual improvement and now an established Serie A club.

[Edit]

Forgot about formations.

4411. Inter, Lazio,

442. Juve, Milan, Chievo, Cesena, Genoa, Palermo, Roma, Parma, Fiorentina, Torino.

3412. Udinese,

41221. Atalanta, Latina,

4231. Sampdoria,

3322. (That's a baclk 3 with wing-backs and a DM, 2 CM's and 2 SC's). Napoli,

4312. Cittadella,

451. Modena.

I've not managed there in FM14, but did pretty extensively in FM13. My first save saw me reach Juventus towards the end of my career needing to win the Champions League. Was only there a couple of seasons, but it was fairly enjoyable. I did spend ten seasons at Calcio Como though, down in Serie C2 (or 1, I can't remember where they were at that point) and it was quite the rollercoaster. I never made it to Serie A, bouncing between Serie C1 and Serie B again and again with some great then terrible seasons. It was extremely enjoyable, I must say.

I always find the top leagues to be much of a muchness, but lower down the ladder, Italy can be great fun. I haven't played in the new format yet though, so it could have changed.

I'm managing Inter at the moment having not been in Italy for many versions of the game.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. There are much more tactical variations to cope with which really exercises your brain (I'm currently working out the best way to beat a high pressing 343 formation). There is less of an established order unlike England for instance which also helps keep things interesting.

I'm currently using/tweaking a 4222 BOX or 4132 formation. I'm trying out HBs regularly to try and counter the aforementioned 3 man attacks and enjoying not having wingers.

You also have the fun prospect of getting your head round co-ownership deals. :D

About the only thing that is currently annoying me is the lack of a competitive Reserve structure, which is playing havoc with obtaining HG statuses and giving game time to fringe First Team players.

Apart form that, loving it!

Yeah im in Italy at the mo (also Inter) for the first time in a few editions of FM, having a blast with it. I avoid the co-ownership thing completely, mostly because i dont understand it so that side i cant comment on. The league itsself is tough, there are a number of clubs all around the same level that can make winning much harder, and players on the whole are quite receptive of moving to Italy so you dont run into many issues on that side of things. Money is decent enough as well so you can challenge in Europe. Id recommend it as something different.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. There are much more tactical variations to cope with which really exercises your brain (I'm currently working out the best way to beat a high pressing 343 formation). Apart form that, loving it!

Managing in Italy is a bit tougher IMO. I'm managing Inter on FM13 and its difficult at times trying to counter certain clubs with their playing style: wing-backs marauding down the wings, 3-men attacks, and congested midfields, its very frustrating at times but man is it worth it when I win the league. So far that's only once in 5 seasons with Juve winning the other 4:(

I'm also managing Inter. I chose to go to Serie A because in all my (short) saves in other nations I have only ever seen Juve win it. I fancied trying to take them down along with rebuilding Inter using a 3-5-2 with wingbacks. It is competitive as there are only about 6 points separating 1st - 9th after 15 games so far in the 1st season so it looks like it could be fun. I just turned it off though as I was unbeatable before I saved it last time, just fired it up again and lost 4 and drew 1! And they say closing the game down doesn't have an effect on your form lol:lol:

Players don't need to be physically dominant like in England, so you can sign skillful players with only average speed or who wouldn't stand a chance winning headers against Premier League defenders with their 18+ Jumping. Though I'm sure if you had a skillful AND physically strong player they would be doubly dominant in such a league.

I only really manage in Italy but I have to agree that the league can be very unpredictable. For example seeing big teams get relegated from Serie A, not saying this doesn't happen in other leagues but I'm not surprised if I see a Milan or Inter fighting to escape relegation. One thing I love about the league is that the restrictions aren't that bad compared to others...(No work permits just a limit on Non-EU transfers). I usually pickup 1 or 2 good youngsters every year from around the world and it can be very annoying if they don't pass the work permit process.

The whole co-ownership thing has put me off ever managing in Italy, although I've been tempted in the past. One day I'll start a Sampdoria save, used to love watching them in the early 90s on Channel 4's coverage.

The whole co-ownership thing has put me off ever managing in Italy, although I've been tempted in the past. One day I'll start a Sampdoria save, used to love watching them in the early 90s on Channel 4's coverage.

I think the Co-ownership thing isn't as bad as it seems once you see it in action.

There's a really good thread about it here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/389111-Italian-League-players-...advice

I've yet to manage in Italy in FM14 but undoubtedly will, its one of my must-manage places every FM. I often head to Milan but have exciting saves with the likes of Genoa, Roma, Fiorentina, Pescara and Parma over the years.

Co-ownership appears to be a pain but once you get your head round it theres no problem.

In terms of unpredictability it certainly seems that way, from my saves so far in FM14 I've seen Sassuolo(!) win Serie A in the first year!

I managed Sampdoria from 2013 ( start of the game ) to the 2018 :D ( then i move on to Man City )

Serie-A is my favourite league, so i managed there pretty much

the fun is obviously the league, expect one of Milan, Roma, or Inter have a really really bad season and could see them get relegated, and a mediocre team could finished 3rd surprisingly and get them to UCL.

and tacticaly it also enjoyable for me, usually they play with deep defensive line and don't play with winger, they uses attacking wingback, so it maybe something you not see in other leagues very much

and for me the most interesting part is the transfer market, hire a Director of Football and asked him to make the transfer, just like the real life in Italian Football.

they also use co-ownership system that you won't see on another league!

For DoF : Sean Sogliano, Paulo Futre, and Daniel Prade is really good shout!

and sorry for my English :D

my go to league. variety of formations, no league squad registration, excellent t.v money (well for the more famous teams). what i love is the variety of tactics, loads of 3 at the backs but still plenty of 4's to. 3 in the middle is a ripe too.

both milan clubs are a good challenge - ageing squads and massive debts. Its a struggle first season (mainly loans got in) but after that you can really go for it as a few of the bigger wage and older players have their contracts up for renewal.

It has put me off in the past but after about 5 years, (and getting my fingers burnt a couple of times), now I just completely ignore co-ownership. If you don't want to co-own, (or have your own players be co-owned), then just don't.

I usually play in England, but this year opted for a continental game. I have been managing Torino for 8 years now after a Greek Super League start (talk about hard work there !). I got them back into Serie A and we have just won it 4 times in a row. That said, I think its more competitive than the EPL as most iterations of FM I completely dominate after my first Premiership win. This time I have won the last 2 scudettos on the very last day, which makes things far more exciting. I am also, for some reason, struggling a little in the Champions League, so its making this particular save really interesting. The 12-player subs bench allows for more freedom to blood the youngsters, so I have appreciated that aspect cf the EPL. I dislike the co-ownership issue and all its complications but I just realised why I haven't seen it for a few years - I only have a few Italians in the extended team, and none in my first 18 ! I think Italy has been fun but a more challenging league may be calling me soon (maybe after a Champions League win).

• 4 months later...

Managing in Italy is very competitive.

In my 28 year long save (14-42), It has been won by: Juventus, Inter, A.C. Milan, Palermo, Napoli, Lazio, Atalanta, Sampdoria and also by Verona and Real Vizenca, who i managed.

Udinese have also been competitive but haven't won yet.

ChievoVerona, (different club to the previously mentioned Verona, or Hellas Verona) have managed to be relegated twice and there is a team worth about 400m in the serie B and there is no logical reason, no take-overs etc.

So, apparently in real life Italian football is banning Co-ownership. http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2014/05/the-end-of-an-era-in-serie-a-the-co-ownership-contract/

Is FM 2015 reflecting this new rule? If so, how?

Does anyone currently playing the beta in Italy have any info on what they've seen with co-ownership after the 14-15 season?

Yep, there's no option anymore to sign a player via co-ownership. The already existing co-ownerships all end in 2015 and after that there won't be any more co-owned players. Just like in real life

I remember one of my longest ever FM saves was probably in FM2009 or 2008 with Udinese. Frederico Laurito was a beast of a striker for me. I'll never forget his name. Legend.

Played great saves with Napoli both years before they got Cavani. Recently they've been too big and rich and I haven't played in Italy since. I do recall that the lack of a reserve league was a bit annoying, and co-ownership merely made it easier to raise cash.

On FM13 and FM14 I've played mostly with German and French teams: Frankfurt, Lille, and St Etienne. Italy seems to have low fan bases and lesser financial potential than building up a powerhouse in Germany, but that could well be an incorrect assumption.

How do people playing in Serie A in FM14 or FM15 find the finances of the successful mid table clubs? Obviously Juve, Milan, Roma, Napoli, Inter do fine, but I'd love to know if there were potential to resurrect the likes of Lazio, Sampdoria, Genoa, Udinese, Atalanta, Palermo into financial powers over time. Build new stadiums, etc etc...

I had a Udinese game in FM14 that went quite well, won the league twice in 4 years... financially there was never an issue, as mainly to begin with they had a shed load of talent dispersed around on loan, that came back with some value that I could sell on.

After that, the success meant the crowds came through the door and albeit their stadiums are old, iirc we averaged like 40000 which isnt too shabby.

In both the EPL and La Liga there is a limit of 25 players.

The Bundesliga appears not to have a limit - saw it listed in game as max of 99 !!

What are the squad resignation rules for Serie A?

Away for the evening (so can't check my laptop) but contemplating a new save :)

In both the EPL and La Liga there is a limit of 25 players.

The Bundesliga appears not to have a limit - saw it listed in game as max of 99 !!

What are the squad resignation rules for Serie A?

Away for the evening (so can't check my laptop) but contemplating a new save :)

None at all. You can even put up to 12 players on the bench for a league match!

Italy is probably my favorite place to manage. The "italian hero" acomplishment is one that I`ve done lots of times. No more dreaded work permits or any max on players from outside EU as in other places. Love it!

How do you deal with the lack of reserve/u-21 eligibility of senior players? I love playing in Italy as well but always run into fitness problems when my fringe players are not getting any game time in league matches.

I almost always manage in Italy. I'm a Juventus supporter in real life, so I used to play with them a lot. I've since stopped because they're far too easy (although the year they were in Serie B was great for FM, if nothing else), so I either have to work my way up to them in an unemployed journeyman career, or use a team from the lower divisions. Some of my best ever FM saves over the years have been with Venezia, Pro Vercelli, or Palermo.

I am an Inter fan so i always play in italy for my first save.

Tactics:

3-5-2 is the most common with slow tempo and possession but can still do good with a 433.

the two wings player for the 352 have to be very good.

Pros:

- 12 players on bench

- very competitive league

- its a couple of years can take back the 4th champions league spot

- have a lot of potential with a lot of historic clubs

-unlimited foreign in the team (but only can buy one non-europe for season it was 2 before)

Cons:

- Not much money to spend

- only 3 spots for champions league

- almost all stadiums are rent it but very big.

Archived