Uruguay V England - Group D - 20:00 BST KO

Djstu23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'let down the country' :D

They have though. Granted people didn't expect us to fly through this group, but after the Italy game the optimism was high and they delivered a standard sub par England performance.

Joe Hart and Henderson were as poor as the rest which makes pearcey's post all the more baffling

Joe had little to do all game only for the corners where he dealt with them, despite Roy clearly instructing no-one on near post, Suarez second he had no chance. Henderson was playing some good passes during the game and once he was allowed to be more attacking by Roy started to have more of an impact in the game in the final third.

So lets be clear: we didn't expect to go through. We've almost certainly failed to go through. And because of that they have failed the country. Jesus wept

It's their own fault for getting everyone's hopes up after the Italy game obviously :D

So lets be clear: we didn't expect to go through. We've almost certainly failed to go through. And because of that they have failed the country. Jesus wept

It's not even like we've played badly either :D

That reaction was pretty much similar to mine when it happened. Anger at first, then just sheer disbelief at to cry or just laugh at how bad the goal was we just conceded :D:(

Ahahaha, that video is just about how I imagine 99% of England fans. Brilliant. :D

Ahahaha, that video is just about how I imagine 99% of England fans. Brilliant. :D

That's True Geordie. Built up something of a following over the last year or so. Not to everyone's taste, but he does make good points sometimes.

It's been mentioned above but we lack a defensive midfielder who can run a game. If we had someone of this ilk then we don't need to waste two players ie Gerrard and Henderson to do the job one great player can. I can't even think of a possible for this position within the English game as the better ones are all foreign.

The problem we have is that most teams in the Premier League play three up front and that they stockpile strikers and end up playing them wide on the right. For all his promise Welbeck is not a footballer, he is a sprinter. He has no touch whatsoever - why is he anywhere near the England squad - can you imagine him in the French or German squads. Similarly with Glen Johnson for the same reason

Rooney is a centre forward. If we decide to play one up top then the manager has to decide on who to play - Sturridge or Rooney and hope that the one not selected is chomping at the bit come 60 minutes to prove the manager wrong.

Can you imagine the press though - Rooney dropped and England lose - That is the reason why Hodgson fits square pegs into round holes.

Hindsight is amazing though - but Hodgson got it wrong with his lack of courage and sadly that is why he should have his contract terminated. Unfortunately, there is no one to replace him unless you go foreign again. In time, Gary Neville will be the England Manager - but despite the several posts I've seen on Twitter pushing this outcome he needs experience first.

As for the future, we need to do something like what Spain have done. Choose the style of play that we will commit to and promote that through all levels of national football. Yes Spain have failed this time, but they have an abundance in youth of decent players who might now come through to mix with the likes of Iniesta et al.

We don't though, but there lies another problem. Viva the Premier League and all the problems it has given us

The problem we have is that most teams in the Premier League play three up front and that they stockpile strikers and end up playing them wide on the right. For all his promise Welbeck is not a footballer, he is a sprinter. He has no touch whatsoever - why is he anywhere near the England squad - can you imagine him in the French or German squads. Similarly with Glen Johnson for the same reason

French squad has players like Giroud, Debuchy, Sakho, Remy, all players who you wouldn't automatically think would be going to a World Cup with a big country like France.

Germany is more difficult for me to make this argument with, but they are having to take Klose along as their only recognised striker which is surprising.

Basically my point is we shouldn't beat ourselves up too much about the amount of talent we are producing, as far as I can see most countries in the world now (with 1 or 2 exceptions) are finding it impossible to fill a world cup squad with top class quality throughout, I think its the way modern football is developing.

That's True Geordie. Built up something of a following over the last year or so. Not to everyone's taste, but he does make good points sometimes.

When you cut through all the effing and jeffing he does actually have some sensible views on the game. Probably airs them a bit too aggressively though :D

Oh how I love the sour grapes :)

And yes, he HAS suffered a lot in England because of unforgiving people who try to break Suarez with constant abuse whenever he appeared because of a mistake he made (and for which he apologized which settles things among half decent intelligent people normally) which makes them as moronic as they classify their victim.

I read it, though "WTF" and then saw the poster and though yea thats about right.

For all his promise Welbeck is not a footballer, he is a sprinter. He has no touch whatsoever - why is he anywhere near the England squad - can you imagine him in the French or German squads.

Errr, this is the same Welbeck that has scored plenty for England when played in his actual position, yeah?

I'd say the main problem(s) England have right now is that they are in a transition period, with FINALLY the old geezers being weeded out. But perhaps more serious, or partly a consequence of it, is an imbalance in the squad. That's hardly Hodgson's fault. However, right now England have some pretty good forwards (Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck), no real wingers, unless you count Sterling as one (plenty of potential there ofc, but inexperienced so far, will get better). There is no natural wide attacking player in the team. Then you have a bit of a hole in central midfield, and another one in defence. In addition, I feel Hart is a mistake waiting to happen (good for him that Balotelli's chip didn't go in, when he went walkabout yet again).

Hopefully some of these imbalances will sort themselves out when the younger players get more gametime, but for the time being England have been found out in the big games, like they usually do. Your team isn't better than the weakest link.

from the opening whistle you could tell we were terrified, so nervous. Any talk of 'we are feeling confident' etc is just rubbish. Deep down we know how they'll play. If the Uruguay and Italy games were reversed we'd have played better against Uruguay and been like last night against Italy as that would be the game we needed to perform in

Maybe when all the links to the old guard are gone the mentality will change but we enter everything filled with fear, I don't care what the players or sports psych says

To lose to that 2nd goal is just ... words fail me especially after getting ourselves back into the game and being on the brink of a result

Failing at group stage ... not happened for a bit. Very disappointing and disheatening as we got all the off field right for a change it seemed :/

So when Costa Rica obviously beats Italy tomorrow, which of these 3 teams should feel most ashamed? :p

I think I'm actually going to go with Italy here given the way they played today.

Errr, this is the same Welbeck that has scored plenty for England when played in his actual position, yeah?

I'd say the main problem(s) England have right now is that they are in a transition period, with FINALLY the old geezers being weeded out. But perhaps more serious, or partly a consequence of it, is an imbalance in the squad. That's hardly Hodgson's fault. However, right now England have some pretty good forwards (Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck), no real wingers, unless you count Sterling as one (plenty of potential there ofc, but inexperienced so far, will get better). There is no natural wide attacking player in the team. Then you have a bit of a hole in central midfield, and another one in defence. In addition, I feel Hart is a mistake waiting to happen (good for him that Balotelli's chip didn't go in, when he went walkabout yet again).

Hopefully some of these imbalances will sort themselves out when the younger players get more gametime, but for the time being England have been found out in the big games, like they usually do. Your team isn't better than the weakest link.

Oh come on, Welbeck is garbage, but typical of the modern day footballer - all pace but no touch.

I forget that the 8 England goals he scored were vs Moldova (2) San Marino (2) and Scotland in addition to the other three vs slightly better teams

If Welbeck is one of the BEST eleven footballers we have in this country then we have no hope - no hope whatsoever

I read it, though "WTF" and then saw the poster and though yea thats about right.

Instead of making fun of it you should better see the truth in it then next time when England go out you will remember the post and think "Damn. Kontermann was right."

Archived