time for a GB team?

BoroPhil

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would increase their chances a little bit but probably still not enough to place UK at same level as top national teams.

Well if it got us out of the group stages at least that would be good :D

I can't really think of any Scottish or Northern Ireland players who would get in it

the only one England would want is Bale and potentially Ramsey if they don't have enough midfielders. Maybe one of our keepers might get a chance on the bench :(

I can't really think of any Scottish or Northern Ireland players who would get in it

the only one England would want is Bale and potentially Ramsey if they don't have enough midfielders. Maybe one of our keepers might get a chance on the bench :(

Marshall would be the first name on the team sheet.

Well if it got us out of the group stages at least that would be good :D

I think it wouldn't even have been enough to prevent that from happening.

No thanks.

In all honesty I don't think many people from any of the UK's constituent parts would want to give up their teams to have maybe 1-3 players in a squad dominated by English 'talent'. Plus I don't think Bale and Ramsey would've really made much of a difference to our performances here.

Good. Would be a disgrace if there were any who actually wanted to be.

Nothing wrong with it they way it is now. England fail repeatedly, that's not going to be remedied by dragging in one or two players from the smaller countries.

potentially Ramsey? Have you seen England's midfield :D

Ridiculous. What next, a NL+BE team?

Why not? You share a border and share some commonality of language. That seems to be the rationale behind a UK/GB team.

Screw it, why not a Russia/Ukraine or Iran/Iraq joint effort?

Ridiculous. What next, a NL+BE team?

That could be pretty great to be fair.

Maybe we could split the traditionally strongest national teams like Germany and Brazil and merge weaker ones.

Why not? You share a border and share some commonality of language. That seems to be the rationale behind a UK/GB team.

UK is one single country though and compete together in some sporting events like the Olympics.

Belgium and Holland are two different countries.

UK is one single country though and compete together in some sporting events like the Olympics.

Belgium and Holland are two different countries.

Not again......

The UK is a political State, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, and Wales are distinct and completely separate Countries.

and have the welsh/irish/scottish whine and bitch everytime a commentator says that an english player has scored, as opposed to a british player has scored? and vice versa when their players from their country grab a goal, its a great goal from a british player? no thanks :p

A Continental Cup would be a really cool consept actually

Could have the 6 teams play against each other once, South America would basically be Brazil defense and Argentina attack.

Inspired by a thread on a Boro forum.

Or maybe just eng+wal? Helo Ramsey and bale.

I imagine most would hate this but I genuinely would love it.

Here is a prime example why you should not drink and post!

A GB team, lord have mercy.

Would be great for the opposing fans though as 'team GB's' fans kicked seven shades of **** out of each other!

I'll be honest, the fact that you guys have a far larger population and still can't get out of a group consisting of Uruguay and Costa Rica is pretty funny.

In fact, greater London has more population than either of those two combined.

edit; then again we stole about 8 players from Europe so I guess I can't throw stones :lol:

I'll be honest, the fact that you guys have a far larger population and still can't get out of a group consisting of Uruguay and Costa Rica is pretty funny.

In fact, greater London has more population than either of those two combined.

edit; then again we stole about 8 players from Europe so I guess I can't throw stones :lol:

At least we can laugh at China & India, they didn't even qualify!

You could make a British Empire team and you still wouldn't win anything :D

Dunno, Australia and the US aren't that bad these days.

Repeating it doesn't make you right.

No, because it was right the first time. Carry on denying reality though if it makes you happy :thup:

Dunno, Australia and the US aren't that bad these days.

No, because it was right the first time. Carry on denying reality though if it makes you happy :thup:

*sigh* Is this the state of Education nowadays? Never mind, I won't bother.

Yeah, those things and the fact that the UK is an Independent state and England/Wales/Scotland/NI aren't.

Worse than pointless. Adding some weak teams to an average team isn't going to make the average team good. Might as well suggest merging Celtic with Partick Thistle and Rangers in the assumption that would mean we could compete in Europe, or all the Birmingham-area clubs.

There are no quick fixes for England, you either need to accept that the EPL's success is rapidly destroying your national team (a much bigger scale version of what happened to Scottish football) and just be happy that your league is so good, or you can try to rebalance that, or maybe see how you can fix your youth development so you can compete with mighty nations like Uruguay, Chile and Belgium. Leave the rest of us who are quite used to and happy being also-rans to do our own thing.

Worse than pointless. Adding some weak teams to an average team isn't going to make the average team good. Might as well suggest merging Celtic with Partick Thistle and Rangers in the assumption that would mean we could compete in Europe, or all the Birmingham-area clubs.

There are no quick fixes for England, you either need to accept that the EPL's success is rapidly destroying your national team (a much bigger scale version of what happened to Scottish football) and just be happy that your league is so good, or you can try to rebalance that, or maybe see how you can fix your youth development so you can compete with mighty nations like Uruguay, Chile and Belgium. Leave the rest of us who are quite used to and happy being also-rans to do our own thing.

Well said :thup:.

Never understand why people blame the Premier League, it has nothing to do with anything. We aren't developing good enough players, it's as straightforward as that.

Never understand why people blame the Premier League' date=' it has nothing to do with anything. We aren't developing good enough players, it's as straightforward as that.[/quote']

Well, I guess they blame the premier league (and I guess, even the championship), because teams there would rather field developed foreigners than youth prospects. In order to develop good players, the youth prospects needs playing time.

Well, I guess they blame the premier league (and I guess, even the championship), because teams there would rather field developed foreigners than youth prospects. In order to develop good players, the youth prospects needs playing time.

The clubs are right though, they have to think about their own success, whether it harms the English national team or not is not and should not be their concern.

Archived