Match 32 - Group G - USA VS Portugal 2300BST

sean_oc16

Ronaldo only gets stick when refusing to track back because he's a winger. If/when striker don't track back, nothing is ever said.

For the lack of tracking that Ronaldo does with Portugal, you usually get the striker tracking back to make up for it. Only issue is that they track back centrally, not on the left. Which leaves Ronaldo's flank very open to overlaps and double teams (which is why Noikeee is close to a mental breakdown I feel :D)

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cristiano Ronaldo already won the Champions League and is not fully fit, he shouldn't even bother with this tournament, he has nothing to prove.

He's constantly criticized for slacking with the NT so in his mind he's desperate to play well and prove a point

Oh, he usually gets lots of abuse. It's just that right now there are several more important problems to abuse the players over

No there isn't. Our team is completely unbalanced and getting overrun because of it. It's fine in most matches having him there for a counter, but how can you counter quickly in this heat? It's just not working and if this keeps going on we're going to concede.

Ronaldo only gets stick when refusing to track back because he's a winger. If/when striker don't track back, nothing is ever said.

For the lack of tracking that Ronaldo does with Portugal, you usually get the striker tracking back to make up for it. Only issue is that they track back centrally, not on the left. Which leaves Ronaldo's flank very open to overlaps and double teams (which is why Noikeee is close to a mental breakdown I feel :D)

I'm not sure you're understanding the tracking bit of tracking back :D

No there isn't. Our team is completely unbalanced and getting overrun because of it. It's fine in most matches having him there for a counter, but how can you counter quickly in this heat? It's just not working and if this keeps going on we're going to concede.

Yes, there is. Nobody protects in front of defence, nobody makes the final pass, nobody runs past the forward, the full backs don't help the center backs....there's endless problems

He's constantly criticized for slacking with the NT so in his mind he's desperate to play well and prove a point

He will probably be criticized anyway no matter what he does though.

He won't have been a worse player if he underperforms for Portugal.

I'm not sure you're understanding the tracking bit of tracking back :D

Not following I'm afraid :confused:

Ronaldo doesn't track, the striker does though. This is good because it gives Portugal more defensive options. This is bad because Ronaldo's flank is open regardless.

Has Ronaldo ever been played central? Has it worked? Might make the tracking back on the left less of an issue, but one of his huge strengths is cutting inside, so obviously no point losing that if he's not as good cental (mind you, he constantly drifts inside and ends up central anyway)

Not following I'm afraid :confused:

Ronaldo doesn't track, the striker does though. This is good because it gives Portugal more defensive options. This is bad because Ronaldo's flank is open regardless.

Who is the striker tracking exactly?

Has Ronaldo ever been played central? Has it worked? Might make the tracking back on the left less of an issue, but one of his huge strengths is cutting inside, so obviously no point losing that if he's not as good cental (mind you, he constantly drifts inside and ends up central anyway)

IIRC he used to play as a lone striker for Portugal a few years back. One of the Portuguese lads will be able to clarify though I'm sure :thup:

Yes, many times. Doesn't work. If he's already central he can't use his pace and movement to cut in and cause a mismatch

Bahaha. Some amusing comments from a commentator over here. "Nani cushions the ball harder than I shoot it."

From another guy, with another bloke. "I've seen more movement at a doll theatre."

Not gonna lie; I burst out laughing at that last one :D

Yes, many times. Doesn't work. If he's already central he can't use his pace and movement to cut in and cause a mismatch

Fair enough, makes sense. Thought it would have probably been tried in the past but figured I'd ask.

Obviously don't want to make your best player far less effective.

The midfield. Watch them - Eder keeps finding himself around Bradley and in between the midfield and the defence if the defence has the ball.

I watched. He's not tracking any midfielder back into his own half.

Ronaldo is even deeper than him.

Yes, there is. Nobody protects in front of defence

Because one of the midfielders (mostly Moutinho) is having to cover in the left flank and with 1 man less they get completely overrun down the middle.

nobody makes the final pass, nobody runs past the forward,

Difficult to do any of that when you're playing silly quick and the heat makes it impossible for people to catch up upfront that quickly.

the full backs don't help the center backs....there's endless problems

Because the US are playing silly wide to force us to cover too much space exploiting our unbalanced defensive setup to the most.

It all stems from that one problem...

That's because you don't have the hours of FM time spent with him running your midfield :lol:

No but Miguel Veloso did that for me! :D And then I realised Veloso is actually pretty average IRL so I've gone off him completely :(

Because one of the midfielders (mostly Moutinho) is having to cover in the left flank and with 1 man less they get completely overrun down the middle.

No, not in the slightest. It's because Veloso keeps wandering off into random spots far far away

Difficult to do any of that when you're playing silly quick and the heat makes it impossible for people to catch up upfront that quickly.

Another reason why this moron coach shouldn't have the team pressing high

Because

the US are playing silly wide to force us to cover too much space exploiting our unbalanced defensive setup to the most.

Quite the opposite, every american player cuts inside to shoot and ignores the flanks

Archived