Neymar out of World Cup.

My take on it - while some will criticise the player for being reckless in his challenge, for me, the referee needs to shoulder some blame for losing control of the game and not clamping down on the thuggish attacks Brazil executed on J-Rod. That is what caused things to get out of control.

Additionally, considering that Brazil spent the whole game trying to cripple J-Rod, its kind of karma that it was them who lost their star player.

Feel bad for Neymar of course.

• SI Staff

Consider me harsh, but good news!

A long enough injury to keep him out of the World Cup, while we may still face Brasil... but on the other hand, nothing too serious to hinder his career. Wouldn't wish more on him.

Very painful though. Yikes! I'm recovering from a bruised rib myself :D

My take on it - while some will criticise the player for being reckless in his challenge, for me, the referee needs to shoulder some blame for losing control of the game and not clamping down on the thuggish attacks Brazil executed on J-Rod. That is what caused things to get out of control.

Exactly this. Blame the ref far more than the Colombian that made the foul.

His back was made weak from carrying Fred all tournament.

Was hoping he would get booked so he missed the semi final, but I suppose this will do. He's everything that is wrong with football, especially that match last night which was the worst of the tournament until Columbia went 2 behind, with the diving and play acting.

Player who makes a bad tackle has to take responsibility for making a bad tackle' date=' don't see how you can blame the referee really.[/quote']

The referee is to blame because he lost control of the game and let the situation come to that point.

Scolari is to blame as well for Neymar's injury as he made Brazil play that way, Fernandinho was very violent and James Rodríguez was lucky not to get injured. Scolari didn't expect his plan to backfire as the Colombians fought back and the referee kept avoiding giving cards.

But in the end, this is football and games can get more physical sometimes. It's sad players get injured but it will happen every now and then.

Challenges happen. You can't blame challenges everytime a player is out. He left the knee in, these things happen. Could have got carded but that's about it

Players are bumped around all the time and get up

Knee in the back like that it's odd to think he broke vertabrae though but there you go

His back was made weak from carrying Fred all tournament.

Was hoping he would get booked so he missed the semi final, but I suppose this will do. He's everything that is wrong with football, especially that match last night which was the worst of the tournament until Columbia went 2 behind, with the diving and play acting.

Eh? Are you saying Neymar is everything that is wrong with football and that you're glad he has a broken back?

a broken back

I was just going to comment on an online article I saw that came out with that sensationalist description :D

It seems to me that a broken vertebrae is not quite the same as what is generally described as a broken back, which is the sort of injury that may leave people in a wheelchair.

Anyway, it's a lousy thing to happen to Neymar, but my sympathy is limited. He's already spent ages on the floor in this tournament, cringing in pain after nothing challenges. He gets kicked a lot, but he also fakes a lot. He is one of those players who go down after each and every pass they make.

was skim reading the thread and was amazed when this comment wasn't PMLF :D

I actually think Brazil might still win, although it will obviously be harder, but Brazil don't even need to win the games to win the title, can just win on penalties.

Germany clearly favorites in semis now though. And I doubt they will be so scared like Colombia were in first half.

Additionally, considering that Brazil spent the whole game trying to cripple J-Rod, its kind of karma that it was them who lost their star player.

Agreed, said the same in the match thread last night.

I was just going to comment on an online article I saw that came out with that sensationalist description :D

It seems to me that a broken vertebrae is not quite the same as what is generally described as a broken back, which is the sort of injury that may leave people in a wheelchair.

Anyway, it's a lousy thing to happen to Neymar, but my sympathy is limited. He's already spent ages on the floor in this tournament, cringing in pain after nothing challenges. He gets kicked a lot, but he also fakes a lot. He is one of those players who go down after each and every pass they make.

So the Brazilian Robben then?

A bit of a shame, but like Paulo said injuries are part of the game. We were never going to win anyway though! Germany was going to be the first really good team we played. Neymar hadn't done anything right since the group stage but now there's this huge excuse which I guess suits Felipão perfectly...

Choking here. Broken back is now a sensationalist description for what is in fact a broken back :D

You need to break a minimum of how many vertebrae in your opinion then to be able to call it a broken back? And yes, this is the sort of injury that may leave people in a wheelchair. You don't have to break every bone in your back to damage the spinal chord.

And your comments about Neymar not?

fgs man, you're one of the most two-faced posters around, that's for sure.

Bull. I will simply not hop on the anti-Robben bandwagon and also not on the Neymar-adulation-bandwagon. Neymar is not yet as brilliant or an innocent victim as people would have it and Robben certainly isn't as much of a diver as the haters claim (even though he does it more and more obviously than others, of course). I understand people need their black and white heroes, but I ain't falling for it.

Choking here. Broken back is now a sensationalist description for what is in fact a broken back :D

You need to break a minimum of how many vertebrae in your opinion then to be able to call it a broken back? And yes, this is the sort of injury that may leave people in a wheelchair. You don't have to break every bone in your back to damage the spinal chord.

Ha :D Thank you doctor Ruben ^^

Neymar was transported on his back in one of those coffin-like orange things they use. Either he does not have a spinal cord threatening condition or the Brazilian medics are the worst ever.

Brazil striker Fred on Facebook: "We have one more reason to play with heart in this cup. Neymar, rest assured that our group loves you and give life to win this title for you. You were and continue to be the ace and the soul of our team. The whole of Brazil is praying for you!"

I'm sure Neymar is happy that the hopes of his nation rely on a guy who looks like a more bulkier version of Shaggy

Funnily enough this is pretty much exactly what I just wrote in the other thread. Brazil wanted a rough game, and they ended up losing their star. Karma can be a rough boss :D

Hopefully Neymar makes a full recovery though.

But I really hope Brazil go out. Must be the worst Brazil side in WC history, certainly as long as I can recall, and couple that with their thuggish tactics and it would just be a really bad winner.

Was an awful challenge on Neymar from Zuniga, why is he jumping into the back of Neymar knee first? Definitely was intent on injuring Neymar imo. Yeah he was looking at the ball but he was never going to win it with a challenge like that. Very cynical from Zuniga.

Referee has to take some blame for the amount of poor fouls in the game, never took hold of the game did the ref, let the players run riot and it's not surprising that a player has come out of the game with a serious injury.

Sad for Neymar that he misses the SF and possibly the final of a WC in his home country.

Zuniga's tackle was borderline assault.

But, you have to ask yourself two things.

1. Would Zuniga have put in a challenge like that if Brazil wasn't already kicking Colombian players around?

2. Would Zuniga have put in a challenge like that if the referee was punishing fouls like he should have?

The answer to both is no. In my opinion, anyway. So whilst Zuniga is at fault, it's also the referee's fault for not controlling his game and it's also brought on by the antagonistic nature of the Brazilian's dirty tactics. Karma.

Oh and I too thought Neymar was taking the ****. Thought it was just a time-wasting tactic. The boy who cried wolf.

Absolutely zero sympathy for Brazil. A bit crap for Neymar because he's not going to be able to play any more and he's obviously not really one of the players who was committed fouls left, right and centre. But hey ho, Brazil wanted to fight and they got a fight. They can't cry about it, now.

Neymar has left Brazil's training ground to continue his treatment in Guarujá:

neymarhelicoptero3.jpg

It will be interesting to see if Brazil will play more like a team without him.

Archived