Third Place Playoff: Brazil V The Netherlands - 12th July - 21:00 BST

PMLF

The most pointless game of the World Cup will be played on Saturday. I'll add some preview at some point, if necessary.

How should the teams approach this game?

I think Brazil should field a reserve team so that the players that didn't play in this World Cup or that played only a few minutes have a chance to play a full game. They will also be more motivated than the 1-7 players.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

I think the strongest team should still play, you should still aspire for a honourable victory - even if it is pretty much a nonsense game.

With that said, for Holland - Michel Vorm is the only player not to have played. I would not mind seeing him in goal. I say, let Huntelaar start over RvP as well. Possibly bench 2-3 players that are completely shattered as well.

Brazil's XI in training today:

Julio César; Maicon, Henrique, David Luiz e Marcelo; Luiz Gustavo, Paulinho e Ramires; Oscar, Willian e Jô

Thiago Silva likely to start instead of Henrique though.

Blue!! Why not use their traditional Orange and Black? Colours dont clash.

Because since most people have black and white TVs (according to FIFA), one team have to wear dark colors and the other team have to wear light colors.

Yeah I'm leaning towards Brazil as well. Surely they're gonna want to go out on a high and salvage some pride in their own country. Couple that with an extra days rest and the exertions of the Dutch extra-time and I can see a super-tight win for Brazil which is settled late on.

If I were a betting man, I'd back Brazil. Last game in Brazil after a terrible loss in the semi's. And let's not forget that the Netherlands knocked Brazil out the 2010 WC in the quarter finals. I'll be watching, but I'll probably not be enjoying this game.

Ah every 4 years the tradition of moaning about how this should be scraped and it's meaningless

Play the other squad members then. It's part of the tournament. Go play and express yourselves then. If they don't care we should see an open and interesting game, not a tight and tense game, which would imply caution and 'wanting to win' ... let's see

I really quite like the 3rd place match. Yes I know it's entirely pointless and bit of a torture on the teams involved, but it invariably produces great matches. Not sure that will be the case this time though, as Brazil will be petrified of committing the same defensive mistakes as in the semi-final (and will be super dull if they do come in with a midfield of Luiz Gustavo, Paulinho and Ramires), and the Netherlands have become increasingly dull and defensive-minded as the tournament progressed.

Germany V Uruguay in 2010's 3rd/4th placed play off was probably one of the best games of the tournament, ended 3-2 to Germany and I'm sure there was a chance in stoppage time when Uruguay hit the bar/post with an effort to try and send it into extra time

Brazil must still be psychologically wrecked. Think Holland will smash them.

The Dutch are much more tired though, still trained more than Brazil between the semis and today though.

Willian must be happy to be finally starting, after Hulk started most other games... :D

I guess big Phil found the pictures that Hulk was hiding then, no idea why he gets in the Brazilian squad at all. Scores 1/10 shots, normally it's usually a cracking goal he scores but he has no touch, even his strength doesn't make a difference

This might not be a great comparison but I remember when Wigan lost 9-1 at Tottenham in the League, next game they were at home to Sunderland they won 1-0.

Maybe the thrashing could galvanise Brazil and they win tonight, the problem is, Holland are far better than Sunderland.... But Holland have forgotten how to score...

I guess big Phil found the pictures that Hulk was hiding then, no idea why he gets in the Brazilian squad at all. Scores 1/10 shots, normally it's usually a cracking goal he scores but he has no touch, even his strength doesn't make a difference

Yes, he is a complete liability, even when he is the best Brazilian on the pitch, it's because everyone else was more awful than usual.

This might not be a great comparison but I remember when Wigan lost 9-1 at Tottenham in the League, next game they were at home to Sunderland they won 1-0.

Maybe the thrashing could galvanise Brazil and they win tonight, the problem is, Holland are far better than Sunderland.... But Holland have forgotten how to score...

That Sunderland game wasn't a third place playoff though.

But far less pressure on Brazil though, most people don't care about this game here.

Archived