Some tips for lower/non league player recruitment

Having embarked on a long term save with Tonbridge Angels circumstances have led me to get a pretty good understanding of how to recruit better players when you have a very low reputation.

Those circumstances are, after being promoted from Skrill South season one, being 'stuck' in the Skrill Premier for 4 seasons due to a number of factors, there only being one automatic promotion spot makes things difficult, i have been unlucky in the play offs a couple of times but the main issue has been my very low reputation. we are still part time, we are tipped for relegation every year but my over performing tactic is forcing us into play off contention each year but basically we and are not an attractive proposition for players to join.

However, i have learnt how players view your club and have adjusted my recruitment approach as follows and have broken it down below, roughly into months as a guide to how it works. Timings are based on English League. Ratings are based on trying to recruit for a Skrill Premier team.

MAY/JUNE

Off Season - Worth a quick look to see what your scouts have picked up on over the season. If you wait until 1st June you can select expired AND expiring in 30 days to see if anyone decent is available and interested.

Expectation - You may get a gem if you're really lucky but most players will be rated as 'decent' for Skrill Premier with potential to become 'good' for Skrill Premier. Hold your nerve, you can do better than this.

JULY

The 'reputation adjustment' for the previous season will have kicked in at the end of June. Your rep is unlikely to have changed much unless you won a trophy or upgraded facilities.

Players who did not get a renewed contract are on the market. if you have not got a transfer budget you can just search on 'contract expired' to view all the free transfers.

Expectation - More players will be available to you and its tempting to do the bulk of your recruitment here. Again keep an eye out for gems, anyone rated as 'good' for Skrill Premier with potential for 'League 1' should be considered. Possibly 'good' for Skrill Premier potential for League 2, but again try and hold your nerve.

AUGUST

Time for action, a lot more players will now consider joining you if they failed to pick up a club in July, they are getting desperate. Players who you may have approached in June or July and who said they were not interested in negotiating with you are now open to discussions.

The 1st of August is not a 'firm cut off', in August new players are appearing daily. By mid month you will have a good number of players rated with potential for 'League 1' ready to do business.

Expectation - Players rated as 'good' for Skrill Premier with potential for league 1 will be available. I even agreed a contract with someone with Championship potential but he chose another club in the end.

SUMMARY

Hold off on recruitment as long as possible, ideally until August when the highest quality pool of players will be available to you.

Obviously its not ideal to build a team in August when the season starts but its better than recruiting players no better than you already have. Just leave training on 'team blend' until the start of November.

I went thru pre-season with only 8 first team players, but with a low wage budget and some away friendlies against higher rep teams i made £60k profit in July which is huge for a non league team.

MY RESULTS

After adopting this approach for one pre-season I have improved my squad considerably to the following.

5 players rated as 'good/decent' for Skrill Premier with potential for League 1

5 players rated as 'good/decent' for Skrill Premier with potential for League 2

Note, at present I dont have anyone with CURRENT ability better than 'good' for Skill Premier. My low rep is still hurting me and I cant pay big wages but Tonbridge are a really tough challenge as there are still Skrill North/South teams with a higher rep than me.

But I have a young capable squad with a lot of potential and my squad is far stronger than its ever been.

I can only assume this is the way the 'reputation system' works across all divisions in all countries.

If I could add a little, I have found that the desperation that you mention continues throughout the year. Although I haven't done much in the Skill leagues on this FM to be fair.

I scout everyone at the England trial days and they always have a load of 5 star players that simply wont join, but keep an eye on them throughout the season, and ignore when your scout says they wont be interested, come round to March/April/May and they would very likely consider going into the Skrill leagues, ready to give you a boost for next season. Careful on the wages mind.

Another tip I would add is to scour the 6 month expiry list starting in January. Expecially if you are fighting for promotion, you should be able to get a few better players signed on a pre-contract. Their wages don't hit until the transfer and you can release players at the end of the season to afford their contract. You know, the guys they will be replacing.

Even if you don't end up with promotion this season, you should be on your way the next.

Archived