Incomprehensible Goalkeeper behavior

Hello to everyone, I come with this post to talk about an issue that really make me think about how the game works, and to ask to, apparently, the most qualified persons about my "problem".

Here it is : I was playing Football Manager 14 with my custom team in Ligue 1, against Lyon, for the title six games in advance before the end of the season. I do my start team talk where I explain my players that we need the win in order to win the title, everybody seems motivated, happy... In short, green for most of the team. The first half goes really good, we lead 2 to nil, we completely dominated the game, I can only be happy and passionately tell them that i'm happy with their performance and to keep up the good work.

Here comes the weird part : while I still dominate the game, my goalkeeper, Zieler, so a quality one, do a first mistake and pass the ball to an opponent, while he wasn't even pressed (while not my 4 BUT 5 defenders were alone...) who, of course scores (which seems to really happen less oftenly when it's one of our player who's alone in front of the GK...). Alright, first time of the season, I'm tellin myself that this may happen even if I can't understand why and let the game go.

15 minutes later, the impossible comes true : Zieler, this time, run through a lost opponent long ball, is few centimeters from it, kinda fall or try to catch it while diving as gk sometimes do, DON'T CATCH IT, and the opponent striker scores in the empty net ! Useless to say that I didn't really, and still don't, understand what happened.

But that's not even not the best part ! 5 minutes from the end of the game, Zieler, like the first time, give as a christmas gift the ball to one of the opponent player, without even being pressed and with 5 frkn solutions in front of him !!! Useless to say that the player scores, and they won the game with the 3 zieler gifts as the only 3 shots on targets for them.

Now my questions are : is this REALLY pure randomness, or the game kinda decide, before any game really even starts, what will be the outcome of the game ? Do you have any explanation why such inexplicable behavior has occured, since it was the FIRST time of the season the goalie has done personal mistakes, and now three in a row ?! And for that particular game where we were suppose to win the league ? Was the pressure to hard for Zieler or did he need some more suspense before we win the title ?

I'm deeply shock and don't know what to think of that event. To be honest with you, I don't give a single damn about the outcome, since I'll probably win the league in the next game, what **** me off is that this kind of stuff that should never happen happened in that particular situation, which made me lead to think that some stuff are not random.

Please, any SI employee to answer in a relative way my questions ? Thank you, and please, come with something credible, because the random case is totally out my mind, I don't see why a perfect until then goalkeeper would suddendly **** his pants in such awkward way.

Here is a screen about the end of the game statistics and the delightful Zieler grade of 4.3 : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/30/1406322423-olympique-lyonnais-le-vesinet-vue-d-ensemble-vue-d-ensemble.png

It's harsh to believe that one time from an other a specific player just forget he's on the field, especially when he was perfect through the whole season and during the first half. I'd like an official to confirm the developers instaured such things, I never read about it. Also, i'm very curious about the crazy about of shots on the post, and the always unbalanced result, like team scoring three goals with three shots on target while you struggle to score one with ten...

Anyway, thanks for the answer guys. As prevented I won the league next game, but such inexplicable results make me upset.

I call it going "full ******". It happens with my defenders more than any other player but can happen to any player on the field.

For some unknown reason a player can suddenly go "full ******" in a game and do something inexplicable. The most common is when near the sidelines in your own end, the defender decides to cross the ball to the top of the penalty box. Another less common one is when one your players recovers the ball at around the penalty box area and proceeds to pass it backwards to an opponent in the box.

Another common one that many of my offensive players seem to be afflicted with is mistaking the side of the net with the front of the net. So instead of trying to get the ball to someone in front of the net, they proceed to try and score through the side of the net for the duration of the game.

Probably more that I could add, but you get the picture.

" Another common one that many of my offensive players seem to be afflicted with is mistaking the side of the net with the front of the net. So instead of trying to get the ball to someone in front of the net, they proceed to try and score through the side of the net for the duration of the game. "

Damn, how many time did it happen to my wingers or my wingbacks. There is like two available players in the center of the box, they could easily do the pass, since they are way faster than the opponents wingbacks and are able to eliminate them, and instead prefer to shot in an impossible angle. True story. Because of that I had to watch the game in the fastest highlights because I would rage everytime it would happen, which is ten times every games.

the before mentioned wide players shooting from impossible angles while having players in the box, however is a bug and hopefully we won't see it in fm15.

I've seen Daniel Sturridge do that plenty of times! ha!

Its actually a bug for me, because i encounter such silliness with Petr Cech which was the reason to just dont use him ?!?!? Imagine that, to not use Petr Cech because he is doing silly stuff on the field.

The one with wingers and wingback preferring to shot from impossible angles happens a lot too. Also missing sitters is my favorite. The game has still such big flaws(bugs). Imo its that way to prevent

human domination and to keep results in check( if sitters and wingers passes are sorted, results would be 6-7 : 2-3 ), because SIGames just cant make it otherwise

Its actually a bug for me, because i encounter such silliness with Petr Cech which was the reason to just dont use him ?!?!? Imagine that, to not use Petr Cech because he is doing silly stuff on the field.

The one with wingers and wingback preferring to shot from impossible angles happens a lot too. Also missing sitters is my favorite. The game has still such big flaws(bugs). Imo its that way to prevent

human domination and to keep results in check( if sitters and wingers passes are sorted, results would be 6-7 : 2-3 ), because SIGames just cant make it otherwise

The bold is incorrect, because the game simply does not work that way.

The bold is incorrect, because the game simply does not work that way.

So, if you are correct( which you cant convinse me that easily ), then its bugs ? Or what else? How can Petr Cech (in the prime of his career) pass the ball 2-3-4 tiems per game to the opposition

strikers when out of pressure? Once per year - maybe? 2-3 times per game?

Silly stuff its in the game as of 14.3.1 and this is the final patch and the game is still broken ? What else should we think ?

He doesn't pass it 4 times a game to the opposition though, does he? That's not even an exaggeration, it's just made up nonsense to suit whatever argument it is you're trying to put across.

Feel free to prove me wrong by uploading your save so we can check your keeper's passing analysis game by game though.

He did actually. Never seen more than 4, 1-2 was the usual, but was lucky and no goals was leaked(almost to the end of the first season and i was calm about it). When the luck was over i droped him. It was 2 seasons ago, so i dont have the bug anymore( i never report bugs and never will, as i am not beta tester). Schwarzer did other kind of mistakes, but not this one. Now Courtois is a lot more stable.

Also please do not try to blame the games faults on the players as it suits no purpose. I didnt try to argue, just to share my experience with the game

So, if you are correct( which you cant convinse me that easily ), then its bugs ? Or what else? How can Petr Cech (in the prime of his career) pass the ball 2-3-4 tiems per game to the opposition

strikers when out of pressure? Once per year - maybe? 2-3 times per game?

Silly stuff its in the game as of 14.3.1 and this is the final patch and the game is still broken ? What else should we think ?

I'm not trying to convince you. I'm stating a fact that's not how it works.

He did actually. Never seen more than 4, 1-2 was the usual, but was lucky and no goals was leaked(almost to the end of the first season and i was calm about it). When the luck was over i droped him. It was 2 seasons ago, so i dont have the bug anymore( i never report bugs and never will, as i am not beta tester). Schwarzer did other kind of mistakes, but not this one. Now Courtois is a lot more stable.

Also please do not try to blame the games faults on the players as it suits no purpose. I didnt try to argue, just to share my experience with the game

Nothing like being selfish is there :rolleyes:

How do you expect the game to improve if you don't report the bugs? If everyone was like you there would be far less improvements to the game.

Complaining about something that most people are not seeing, and then not reporting is a little silly. If they can't see or replicate it, then they can't fix it.

Ok, my fault to not report, my fault to use someone as Cech and such. My tactics and my players do silly stuff. Got it

The game has flaws and as of now many report them and in every thread there is at least one apologist

Dont bother to answer me, never will post here again

So, you drop the 'keeper and "the bug" goes away?

You do realize that if it was a bug, it wouldn't matter who the GK was...right?

So, it's down to the specific player, which means something like: His personality + mental state in the specific moments of the match(es) + overall morale (before and during the match) + your tactical instructions = meltdown.

Which means a) you don't understand the player, you're just going on name - and tbf Cech's not been great for a while now IRL, making the kind of errors he never, ever used to - and b) your instructions don't suit his style of play and/or tends to rely on him overcoming weaknesses rather than capitalizing on strengths.

Ok, my fault to not report, my fault to use someone as Cech and such. My tactics and my players do silly stuff. Got it

The game has flaws and as of now many report them and in every thread there is at least one apologist

Dont bother to answer me, never will post here again

Sometimes you see a bit of an 'apologist' attitude in posts here, but this isn't one of those cases.

Archived