Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dj clark boy:

I've been on for bit but only just started to write in the forums thats what I meant to say

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's no need to lecture people about the forum rules, that's my job. In future, just report the post and let me deal with it, thanks.

dj clark boy - this is the forum rule you are breaking.

Happy Slappy. Knockbreda. N.Ireland Premier Division. 2011/2012

Table, quite and improvement from last season, finishing just behind the top 3.

Potter, 19 goals in 30 games, not bad for his debut season, will try and get more out of him next season but overall not bad.

Finances.

Here is me.

Overall, not a bad season, could have gone better though if weren't for the sale of a key player, Austin left after the chairman accepted a bid of £180k.

Aim for next season will be to try and challenge for the title.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

\o/

Nice achievement, what sort of money are you getting for qualifying from the groups? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the first time I've made it, the TV money has always been less than £1m, it will be interesting to see how much I get this time.

Drawn Chelsea in the next round icon_frown.gif

Are you ready for a new update? In a new format? With a whole lot of screenies? Here we go!

Portglenone - Season 15/16 - Northern Irish Premier Division

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a new format has reared it's not-so-ugly head, it's the new month-by-month format. Here we go, starting in

June 2015

Okay, so not a lot happens in june, did get my newest expectations from the board but that was essentially that. Thus I moved into

July

Where we started our first season in the Champions League. We were drawn agains AS Omonioa Nicosia of Cyprus, a challenge I felt we might surpass.

First leg - Did not go quite how I would have wanted it but we got the all important away goal.

Second leg - times like these I absolutely hate this game, probably what keeps me playing! Gone out on away goals after a stellar performance, should have gone through, no doubt about it.

This lead to a record: Highest gate receipts

We also got news of another record: Season ticket sales doubled

Let's try a little coding, no?

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

GP W D L GF GA GD

4 3 0 1 20 5 +15

</pre>

Hope that works! Of course, the other two games were friendlies icon_wink.gif

August

Nothing of real notice, one friendly, two games in the league cup and of course my chances of winning the title, brought to me by The Media ©. They made us the second favourites after Glentoran, not surprisingly.

GP W D L GF GA GD

3 3 0 0 11 1 +10

</pre>

September

For me, most memorable for a new record: Lowest attendance icon_frown.gif Really don't understand this, why wouldn't the fans be coming to see the champions at the start of the new season? Really needs some working, this attendance at cup games..

Played out the rest of the league cup group and the quarter final as well, where we beat Portadown 3:1

GP W D L GF GA GD

5 4 1 0 16 7 +9

</pre>

October

The Board © finally opened it's eyes and saw that our facilites were way below par, when I pointed that out yet again I finally got a positive responce!

October saw us play two league games, the league cup semi-final and the first round match of the Antrim cup as well. We took care of Linfield in the first and Glentoran in the latter via 2:0 and 4:1 victories, respectively.

GP W D L GF GA GD

4 4 0 0 13 1 +12

</pre>

November

November saw the first trophy of the year arrive in the form of the League Cup. It also saw Portglenone spanking teams in three premier division matches.

The opponents for the final were, unsurprisingly, Billion time winners: Glentoran

We showed them that they are no longer worth viewing as rivals and beat them yet again:

Screenie

screenie

Screenie

Screenie

Those motivational speaking classes showed their worth and the fans hailed me as the saviour reborn.

GP W D L GF GA GD

4 4 0 0 14 2 +12

</pre>

December

We set two records in december: Most games won in a row and most games without losing

The latter one would be improved upon in some style, as shall be seen later in this update.

December saw us play eight games, seven in the league but first beating Distillery 4:1 in the Antrim cup qf.

GP W D L GF GA GD

8 7 1 0 29 9 +20

</pre>

January

Not much of note here, apart from this news item. Which is even weirder considering he's been with me from the start.. Mind-boggling, but that's the media for you.

We played nine games in january, eight in the league and one in the Irish Cup 5th round were we sent Linfield packing with a 4:1 win.

GP W D L GF GA GD

9 7 2 0 29 8 +21

</pre>

February

Now, are these screenshots connected in any way? I'll leave you, the jury, to decide:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Exhibit A.

Taken a good look? Great, here I will then present to you Exhibit B. 2 + 2 = ?

Anyhow, five games played in february, only one in the league with Linfield beaten 1:0. This month also featured the 1:0 beating of Larne in the Antrim Cup Semis and an identical result against Glentoran in the All-Ireland Cup where we drew 2:2 at Shamrock Rovers. The fifth game was a 3:0 hammering of Newry in the sixth round of the Irish Cup

GP W D L GF GA GD

5 4 1 0 8 2 +6

</pre>

March

A month that saw us take on Crusaders in the Antrim Cup final, Cliftonville (w2:1) in the Irish cup QF, Glentoran (w2:0), Drogheda (w3:1 and 3:3) and Shamrock Rovers (L0:2) in the All-Ireland Cup and Portadown (w4:0) and Portstewart (w2:0) in the league.

First off, the Antrim Cup Final.

Of course we won which sent the fans into delirium and The Board © were mildly pleased as well.

Also, wanted to throw in this token of bragging, we were supposed to show up and roll over but kinda.. well.. didn't icon_cool.gif

Jackson, Hudson and Lawler were all perceived as real contenders for the Young Player of the Year award.

Lawlor proceeded to stake his claim by, yet again, changing the Portglenone Record books.

GP W D L GF GA GD

8 6 1 1 20 8 +12

</pre>

April

Nine games here, beating Portstewart in the Irish Cup semis, losing to Cork City in the All-Ireland semis and winning all seven league games and also wrap up another title.

Would be best to start with how we wrapped up the league, or rather the news items associated with the win:

The media confirmed it.

Then they tried to create headlines and get me to say I was leaving. I was having none of it.

A second in succesion for the fans favourite

I even managed to please The Board ©

We also had Lawlor, Hudson and Jackson tipped for the Player of the Year.

The Board © were apparently scared half to death that I would leave. Idiots..

GP W D L GF GA GD

9 8 0 1 21 10 +11

</pre>

May - End of season screenies

Only one game this month but a boatload of screenies.

First off, the Irish Cup Final before which I had a pretty good feeling.

I was proved wrong as we were beaten, confirmed by the press.

A bright point in the month was my new contract, although they strictly refused to give me any more than two years.

The league was wrapped up the month before but here is the league table. Note that only one of Glentorans losses was against us, thanks to some other two teams who made this possible icon_wink.gif also, great to only drop 6 points, 2 of which went to Glentoran.

Here's the league graph. Would like to point out that the dip evident is only because of me not playing as many games as Glentoran at the time. Fail to see why this isn't worked out on an even games basis, you can actually have 4-5 teams with "1st" on their 4th or 5th game, depending on fixture congestion...

Now, manager overview and profile.

Finances:

overview

Income

Expenditure

Here are my squad stats and the leagues player stats

Records:

I took the Manager of the Year

Jackson was voted the Young Player of the Year

Hudson took the Player of the Year and Top Scorer.

Lawlor was voted the Fans Player of the Year after breaking our ratings record.

And to finish it off:

Season best 11

Overall best 11.

I think that's that? Geezaloo this is one long post icon_eek.gif I hope dafuge or someone else with their username in bold can see fit to fix my coding if I managed to get it wrong, which I am odds-on favourite to have done!

Originally posted by dafuge:

Quality update, quite like that monthly format, I might use it in the future icon14.gif

Helps me a lot with the screenies, saving them into 12 month-named folders in one season named folder makes both the uploading and organising much, much easier. And I love my screenies icon_cool.gif Halfway through the next season so that one will be a bit sparse but the season after this should see some mega-updates. Will probably get to a point where writing the updates takes longer than playing the season icon_wink.gif

Tandragee Update - Season 5 (2039/40)

To begin..

An old face teams up with Craig Douglas again, after spending his entire 21 year career with Knockbreda, before becoming a Coach under Douglas. He eventually left the club when Douglas quit, but it didn't take much to prise his out of unemployment, to team up with douglas yet again. (ITs Paul Wallace, btw icon_biggrin.gif )

I got my first "parent" team as either Tandragee or Knockbreda manager and it was Tottenham

I thought they would loan me players, but neither this season, nor the next (Which I'm well into) - did they even hint at loaning me a player.

End of Season Update

Media Prediction - 7th

Final League Position - 3rd \o/

UEFA Cup - 1st Round

Irish Cup - Semi-Final

Mid Ulster Cup - Semi-Final

League Cup - Runners Up

All Ireland Cup - 3rd in Group B

N. Irish Prem League - Graph | Table

Best Elevens - Overall | Season

Co-Efficients - N. Ireland (22nd) | Tandragee (366th)

Other Info

Finances

Manager Info

Manager Overview

Manager Profile

Player Records

Team Records

Team Info

Team Selection

Awards

Bean - Golden Boot 2nd Place

Bean - N. Irish Player of the Year

Bean - Top Goalscorer, 38 Goals (League only)

Gibbons - Young Player of the Year

Craig Douglas - Manager of the Year, Runner Up

Season Summary

N/A (sorry, its been a few weeks since I last played this save, and even longer since this season, so I don't really remember how the season went)

Gundo - For your information

Tandragee Co-Efficients - 366th

N. Ireland Co-Efficients - 22nd

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Sanchez Takes Over Northern Irish Minnows

Boris Sanchez

I've taken over Killyleagh after they got promoted. The board expect me to finish midtable and I think I might have an outside chance of promotion icon_biggrin.gif

Best of luck. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Sanchez Takes Over Northern Irish Minnows

Boris Sanchez

I've taken over Killyleagh after they got promoted. The board expect me to finish midtable and I think I might have an outside chance of promotion icon_biggrin.gif

Best of luck. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, good luck in N.I. icon14.gif

Portglenone - Season 16/17 - Northern Irish Premier Division

Here we go again!

June

We were getting prepared for the new season when The Board © announced we had no option but to win the title which the followed up by selling one of my best players. Mixed messages ftw!

However, they did deliver one nice surprice. This wouldn't do me any good this season and all it's done so far in the next season is give me the money. Not a bad thing but I would appreciate some loans!

July

With July came the news that we were starting a European rivalry! The old foes from the UEFA cup were back, Hajduk Split would be the opponents in the first qualifying round in the Champions League. Liverpool vs Chelsea v2.0!

First leg: We absolutely bossed the game from start to end but yet again my defenders let me down. Two away goals, however, gave me hope for the second leg.

Second leg: Probably the most one-sided game I've had yet. 2-0 win was brilliant but unfortunatly one goal too few. There were two chances late on that should have got us through but it just wasn't to be.

Yet again, we set a record for season ticket sales, getting up to almost half our stadium capacity. I have some two million Euro in the bank at this point and The Board © still refuses to do anything to expand the capacity. Anyone have info on how much I would need?

Oh, DO NOT make the mistake I did, arranging friendlies against my reserves and u18's to get a bit of match fitness before the CL games. Lost three from my starting eleven to injuries to those brutes!!

GP W D L GF GA GD

5 2 2 1 13 13 0

</pre>

August

Two more friendlies and two games in the League Cup group stage. First off, however, the media made us joint favourites with Glentoran for the title.

Not much else to report here so here's the coded bit:

GP W D L GF GA GD

4 4 0 0 23 3 +20

</pre>

Should mention that the friendlies combined for a 16:2 scoreline icon_wink.gif

September

Nothing but League Cup here, the remaining four games in the group and the quarterfinal against H & W Welders. We duly delivered a 6:2 spanking to them to reach the semifinals.

GP W D L GF GA GD

</pre>

Rest of September:

GP D W L GF GA GD

5 4 1 0 18 5 +13

</pre>

October

Four games here, the League Cup semi and three league games. Lost our second game in the league with a very, very bad performance.

At least I got something here that made me smile: utter humiliation!

GP W D L GF GA GD

4 3 0 1 11 3 +8

</pre>

November

Antrim cup 1st round, Antrim Cup quarter-final, League Cup Final, Premier Division. All this in a mere five games.

At one point the league table looked absolutely ridiculous! Utter nonsense, that.

I found this kinda funny, apart from me being 3-2 down in a game with a whopping 5 shots! However, we recovered to put 6 past them after that and win 8-3, thanks in no small way to Oliver Day. Obviously, that was a record.

November also saw our facilities upgraded, from "non-existant" to "a cone and a weird smelling hat". Apparently we have to rent the cone from that man and.. long story.

For the third season running we were headed to the League Cup Final.

This time Glentoran were beat 2-1 in a match we completely bossed.

This lead to me becoming the fans' favourite. How on earth that took so long is beyond me. The Board © were mildly pleased that we had taken it for three consecutive years.

GP W D L GF GA GD

5 5 0 0 22 6 +16

</pre>

December

A month that saw us losing to Glentoran in the league. Later it emerged that Glentoran had bribed the ref.

The Board © kept trying to undermine my title challenge at every step, accepting an offer for Oliver Day. Day, on the other hand, absolutely loves Portglenone and decided to stay!

We had one game where we had to show immense character, being 3-1 down before coming away with a 4-4 draw.

Then I had The Board © agree that the man with the smelly hat was scaring the young players coming through.

GP W D L GF GA GD

8 5 2 1 20 10 +10

</pre>

January

Even with another eight game month there wasn't a lot to report. We went through to the 6th round of the Irish Cup with ease, beating Glenavon 5-0. We did enjoy a complete domination over Cliftonville in the league but I had even more fun seeing Oliver Day snubbing praise from another manager, namely King Kev.

GP W D L GF GA GD

8 6 1 1 24 3 +21

</pre>

February

Another cup month as three of the five games we played were cup games, including the start of the All-Ireland Cup group. Oliver Day wanted a place in history and duly got there (at least for now) as he became the clubs all time leading goalscorer. The All-Ireland Cup was proving difficult, a draw against Glentoran and a loss to Shamrock Rovers represented the return from the first two games. At least we managed to scrape through the 6th round of the Irish Cup after a 2-1 beating of Ballymena Utd.

GP W D L GF GA GD

5 3 1 1 13 8 +5

</pre>

March

Seven games here, five of which are cup games. Four of them were in the All-Ireland Cup, one win (Glentoran) and three defeats to the Irish clubs. At least we won the two league games and thrashed Glentoran 4-1 in the Irish Cup quarter-finals.

Oliver Day kept getting his goalscoring feats in the record books and then we had Jackson, Mudd and Cole nominated for the Young Player of the Year award.

GP W D L GF GA GD

7 3 0 4 16 14 +2

</pre>

April

Another long month, eight games of which seven were in the League. We also beat Larne 2-1 in the Irish Cup semifinal.

Hudson, Day and Cole were all up for the Player of the Year.

Day also decided to mark the month with a new record.

April was to be the month where we wrapped up our 3rd consecutive Premier Division title.

You'll never win anything with kids ftw part 2

The fans were jubilant and even The Board © were kinda pleased.

GP W D L GF GA GD

7 6 1 0 22 8 +14

</pre>

May - End of season screenshots

One whole game here, the Irish Cup Final against Linfield. We won, of course, and I was praised, The Board © was pleased and Portglenone had done the double.

End of Season:

Premier Division Player of the Year: Oliver Day

Premier Division Top Goalscorer: Oliver Day with Hudson in second

Premier Division Young Player of the Year: Steve Jackson with Portglenon sweeping the podium.

Premier Division Manager of the Year: Yours Truly.

Fans Player of the Year: Oliver Day

We set a new Attendance Record

Day set a new average rating record

Finances:

Overview

Income

Expenditure

The league table, apparently forgot to screenie the graph. I was in 1st throughout the league when I had played the same number of games.

Here are the Squad stats

My overview and the profile.

Overall Best 11 where only Scott was added.

Season Best 11.

Now, I went kinda crazy with signing players as I was really feeling the fixture congestion when I got some injuries the previous season. Here they are:

Signing 1: Rose - Australians have unfortunate timing of internationals as Rose has showed me. Quite a good player despite that icon_wink.gif

Signing 2: Magennis - The fans hate him, pure and simple. Bought as a back-up and used as a back-up.

Signing 3: Brown - Been used more than I wanted due to a four month injury to Lawlor. Done as well as I wanted, really.

Signing 4: Whitten - Coaches say he's got the potential to be great, hope they are right as I am not seeing it..

Signing 5: Scott - Pure inspiration, replaced Holmes and we didn't suffer, which says something! Been absolutely great at times.

Signing 6: Wray - Got games when my regular rb needed rest, supposed to become quite good and has been solid if unspectacular.

Signing 7: Hodges - One for the future, hopefully.

Signing 8: Smart - Back-up, through and through. Just changed my system after this season from 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2 so he won't be getting too many chances, I think.

Signing 9: Cooper - Another one who's bought with the future in mind, hoping he'll live up to his potential.

Signing 10: Baxter - Versatility is a good thing and Baxter can cover either fullback position. Only got games when other needed resting but did okay.

That's it for now. Next seasons update will be.. well, I'll leave you to be surprised icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

UGS - Challenge League - 18/19

Situation at Winter Break

During the break I brought in a gk on a free, 34yo Belgian, similar ability to Kouakbi and needed as Casali had gone all Lehmann in his attitude and is out at the end of the season for sure and Kouakbi had been refusing new contracts (he did sign in the end). I managed to flog my best MC (Zobel) for £500k. As it was to St Gallen, I was wondering whether I could / should have got a bit more money for him...

Anyway, I could go into detail about the results but as we never got close to either 5th or 7th there is not much to report, there were a couple of embarrassing defeats and one victory over a top side. So we ended up in 6th place, where we had been for over half the season.

A lot of goals, but also a lot conceded, we were entertaing to say the least, over 4 goals per game.

6th is about right, if the defence could be improved....

Final Squad

Final Summary

Transfers - Leerdam was awesome, Ernst was great and Cordier has not played yet but probably will, so all in all a success...

Some players...

Best GK - Samir Kouakbi - more or less the only one too, is very good, but had a fair few dodgy games especially around the middle of the season, more consistency needed, at least I now have another GK of similar ability who can come in

Best Defender - Stefan Schwarz - see last season basically, nothing special came in, he continued to be solidity personified and I am hoping the same for next season

Equally Best Winger - Kelvin Leerdam - very very good, would have been perfectly happy sticking to Michael but this guy is much better, many a romp down the right wing, lots of assists and goals, probably best MR in division

Equally Best winger - Martin Brode - again he was magnificent, equal number of assists as Leerdam, fair few goals, probably still best ML in division, no interest in him so I expect a few more similar seasons

Best Striker - Arnaud Maric - back to his best, although he tailed off a bit in the New Year, got a couple of niggly injuries which delayed him a bit, all I can ask for is more of the same

Most Prolific Striker - Franz Sutter - brilliant, and a big surprise as well, was expected to be 3rd choice behind Rasovic but his injuries gave Sutter the chance and he took it, top scorer in the division (Maric 2nd), can't really expect the same next season but you never know and in any case, he is already a hero at the club, 6 seasons and 112 goals

And so Season 12 here we go....

Luzern went up with St Gallen which is good, less good is the fact that Thun and Zurich came down. This is Thun's 3rd season in the CL and they might be beatable but as Zurich have spent the whole game in the top flight I would not be surprised to see them romp away with it. The other 3 teams were very strong last season, I hope their lack of promotion means they sell players. Top 5 please.

As I don't see how much the squad can be improved before I turn pro (a good 5-6 years away unless I flog some players for silly amounts), I am going to have a tactical rethink in the Summer. We only dropped 9 points at home last season so it is clearly the away matches which need focusing on...

I still need improvements at DL; Jovanovic is a solid 6.8-6.9 player but he is the weak link and can't pass to save his life so I hope I can convince somebody better to come in. I suddenly only have 3 central midfielders so I at least need one more. DC and ST could do with a tweak maybe as well but that is much less urgent..

18/19 Best Eleven

Overall Best Eleven - finally moved to 4-4-2 which means both Sutter and Maric are there, while Kouakbi comes into goal

08/09 - Challenge League - 14th

09/10 - Challenge League - 15th

10/11 - Challenge League - 13th

11/12 - Challenge League - 11th

12/13 - Challenge League - 11th

13/14 - Challenge League - 9th

14/15 - Challenge League - 13th

15/16 - Challenge League - 4th

16/17 - Challenge League - 4th

17/18 - Challenge League - 7th

18/19 - Challenge League - 6th

ghostwriter Another great end of season report. icon14.gif

With regard to Franz Sutter? His attributes don't look overly impressive but it's great isn't when players over perform like that. Per Christian Myhre is that type of player for me. icon_cool.gif

There was a challenge for leagues better than this but it kind of died with me the only one posting there for a while. Best season was 3rd in Portuguese premier so far, the players I need to be able to beat Benfica consistently are basically world class though so I don't see there being much of a challenge when I do manage to get one of the Champions league spots. The point of this is that a top team in the league will still be group stages of it at best without some serious work.

Coefficients wise though it is possible that Portugal should be in this challenge or, Turkey/Belgium/Russia out of this since they often slip down the list with only really Benfica, Sporting and Porto being any good before a huge drop off in class which is I feel the same in Turkey and Russia that are allowed here.

beyond the top 3, well now top 1 - Porto icon_biggrin.gif

the league standard isnt really that high, and teams in the croatian league, russian etc can probably beat most of the teams in the portuguese league besides the top 3. Because we are not actually taking control of any of the top 3 club rep would be extremeley low so it still would be hard attract good players.

Yes the standard outside the top 3 is pretty mediocre in Portugal but that is not really the point since you need to be in the top 2/3 depending on coefficients at the time to get into champions league. To do that you need to be a really top club which is pretty simple to do as the Portuguese leagues reputation allows you to sign such quality players.

When you've won the Hungarian league title 20 times in a row you can't just pinch any player you like in South America or guys at pretty decent French/Italian/German clubs like you can with the reputation you get from being a leading Portuguese team. The whole idea of this challenge is that you have to really go beyond what your league would normally allow with current reputation to succeed.

Chmel Blsany, Czech First Division 2011-12

Pre-season

After our 8th place last season, the board expected a mid-table finish. I didn't bother promising anymore as it would only mean them promising money the club didn't have. Finances were my main concern as we were 800k in the red. icon_eek.gif I shifted some of the high earners who were past their peak as well as a few youngsters who were not reaching their potential. Unfortunately, I also lost two of my stars from last season as Magoc and my superb left-back Morisseau started to attract attention from bigger clubs. I wasn't too troubled by Magoc's departure as I had an almost identical replacement, another Serbian called Malbaski, coming in on a free. That left me 100k better off and my new player was 5 years younger to boot. icon14.gif I tried to hang on to Morisseau but once the big teams maed offer he wanted out. icon_frown.gif It was a worry at first as the offers were only about 75-150k, way below my valuation. Eventually, Sparta Prague made an acceptable offer, enough to ease our financial worries slightly so I reluctantly accepted.

Most of the players I brought in were youngsters coming for free. One of my scouts had spent the tail end of the previous season in Montenegro and I got 4 players from there. I picked up two good young Czech talents too - Barta, a central midfielder, and Martin Zeman, an attacking midfielder/striker, both of whom were strangely released by their clubs. After a couple of seasons out on loan, another New Caledonian, Gerard Marie (AMC) was ready for the first team as was young Serbian keeper darko Djokic.

Czech First Division

I honestly had no idea what to expect from this season. With two of last year's stars gone and a bunch of unproven youngsters, it was going to be tough. The first half of the season was a slog. Nikola Djokic, one of my top scorers last time, spent a long time out injured and my new strikers were taking their time to settle in. This resulted in far too many draws and 1 goal defeats as we couldn't take our chances (plus, we'd lost Morisseau's deadly free kicks). At the halfway stage, we were just 2 places above the relegation zone (albeit a fairly safe 8 points away from danger).

The second half of the season saw a turnaround. First, we showed a much needed fighting spirit to get a draw out of this 3-3 with Viktoria Plzen. 3-0 down and seemingly beaten at half-time, I gave the hair-dryer treatment and it worked as we pulled two back and saved a penalty. Our fightback seemed over as left-winger Malbalkski got sent off for an elbow. Left-back Nestor then did a Mascherano and sprinted across the pitch to protest. he promptly got his second yellow leaving us with 9 men. Somehow, we stayed in it until the final minute when young DM Milosevic headed home to level the game! icon_biggrin.gif It was probably the most dramatic FM game I've ever seen!!

After that, we went on a great run starting with our next game, a 4-0 win away to Banik Ostrava. April saw me named Manager of the Month and our unbeaten run would stretch 14 games right up until the final day of the season when we lost to already relegated Zlin. That was disappointing as a win would have seen us finish 6th. As it was we came 8th,exactly the same as last season!

First Division Final Table

Czech Cup

A couple of rounds against amateur and 2nd division opposiiton saw us safely through to the main rounds after the winter break. By that time, we were in great form and made it all the way to a historic first cup final. Our opponents, Sparta Prague, had been in dreadful form so I was confident of a win. And that's what we got as we took the cup with a 2-1 win!!! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif We were in control most of the game with an early goal and a red card for Sparta Prague. They levelled in the second half but the excellent Zaman put us ahead again straightaway to secure the win.

That resulted in the usual accolades: the fans love me; the board were full of adulation; and former greats hailed me as a 'wonder-maker' icon_biggrin.gif

All of that means we will be in the UEFA Cup next season! Hopefully that will bring some more money into the club. icon14.gif

Analysis

After a slow start, it turned out to be a good season in the league although we didn't better last year's position. My youngsters started to come through later in the season and I'll be expecting more of them this year.

2011-12 Best XI

Overall Best XI

Marie, Sivakov and Djokic were vital in midfield and attack and Zaman was a great signing as proven by his immediate inclusion in the all-time best XI.

Financially, we were kept afloat by the sale of Morisseau. I got 500k up front and negotiated a further 500k after 20 league games, which was paid in March. I also included a 25% sell-on clause, which reaped rewards at the end of the season as Sparta Prague sold him to Starsbourg for 3 mil! That means I get 750k in installments over the next 18 months, which will help keep the income up. The board are also expanding the stadium by 3000 seats which will bring the capacity up to 7500. icon14.gif The downside is we will pay our debut season in Europe at Chomutov's stadium (we will surely be knocked out long before the expansion is completed in February).

The season ahead....

I've overhauled my staff as I noticed many of my youngstres weren't developing well. I put this down to the fact my staff was basically made up of the same people I could find in my first season and it was time to bring better coaches in. I have a couple more youngsters who were out on loan ready to come through. Apart from that, I'll be sticking with the same team. I'm hoping the UEFA cup will bring in a bit of cash. Im hoping to make the first round proper and get a tie against a big team to rake it in. icon_wink.gif

The story so far...

2008-9 Czech Second Division 6th

2009-10 Czech Second Division 1st

2010-11 Czech First Division 8th

2011-12 Czeck First Division 8th, Czech FA Cup Winners </pre>

Club Coefficient: 5.277 (311th)

Nation Coefficient: 16.000 (24th)

Domestic Titles: 0

Portglenone - Season 17/18 - Nortern Irish Premier Division

Okay, don't remember this too well as I just completed the 18/19 season icon_rolleyes.gif But I'm still gonna give it a shot, including some new things in the coded parts. First off, of course, was

June

First, the board let me know that they expected another title as well as almost every cup we were involved in. They promptly decided to try to prompt my failure by selling a star, again.

At the end of the month they offered me a new contract which I accepted

July

We took part in the first round of the Champions League, drawn against Irish team Shamrock Rovers.

First Leg: A win at home but not big enough for my liking. Should have done much, much better given how they game panned out.

Second Leg: And another year of heartbreak for the Portglenone faithful, both goals were boarderline offsides which, of course, made it even harder to swallow.

We also set another record when it was announced we had sold a whopping 269 season tickets!

Competition opposition result on off poss pass yel red scorers assists

Champ League Shamrock Rovers 3-2 5 7 56% 71% 0 0 Day (2), Jackson Miller, Lawlor, Jackson

Champ League Shamrock Rovers 0-2 1 4 60% 73% 0 0

</pre>

I had a lot of other stats that don't matter in the least, these are the ones that I feel matter. Either way, the selection was revised before the next season.

August

Not a whole lot to report here, a couple of league cup games and of course the yearly media odds.

League Cup Larne 5-0 8 6 83% 83% 1 0 Hudson (2), Day, Williams, OG Hudson, Miller, Rose, Doyle

League Cup Ballymena utd 3-0 8 8 82% 82% 0 0 Hudson, Lawlor, Cole Lawlor, Rose, Doyle

</pre>

September

Four more League cup games, leading to us getting through with relative ease and then we had our first league game of the season.

League Cup Larne 2-2 5 3 49% 79% 1 0 Day (2) Lawlor, Rose

League Cup Portadown 5-0 9 7 67% 84% 1 0 Jackson (2), Hudson (2), Magennis Doyle (2), Cole (2), Hudson

League Cup Ballymena utd 4-0 11 9 48% 80% 0 0 Morgan (2) Hudson, OG Hudson (3), Cole

League Cup Portadown 2-0 3 4 61% 76% 0 0 Morgan, Lawlor Morgan, Day

Premier D Dungannon 2-2 6 8 51% 78% 0 0 Day, Jackson Day, Miller

</pre>

October

First news of the month was that I was named as manager of the month and Oliver Day came in third in the goal of the month. After that we embarked on a six game journey through the league cup, premier division and antrim cup.

League Cup Bangor 3-1 5 6 52% 62% 1 0 Day (2), Cole Morgan, Doyle

Premier D Institute 2-1 1 11 54% 58% 1 0 Morgan, Jackson Wray

League Cup Linfield 3-2 4 10 56% 74% 1 0 Lawlor, Hudson, Day Miller, Lawlor, Hudson

Premier D Linfield 1-0 1 4 57% 78% 1 0 Bagnall Morgan

Premier D Ballymena utd 4-0 8 12 51% 72% 1 0 Hudson (3), Day Doyle, Hudson

Antrim Cup Brantwood 3-1 7 10 58% 79% 1 0 Morgan (2), Day Hudson, Morgan

</pre>

November

A month that saw us reach the league cup final and, unbelievable enough, win it. In doing so we pleased the fans and the board.

League Cup Glentoran 3-2 5 5 60% 82% 0 0 Day (2), Lawlor

Premier D Larne 1-0 2 3 56% 78% 3 0 Cole

Premier D H & W Welders 4-0 4 8 51% 82% 0 0 Day (4) Rose, Cole, Miller, Lawlor

Antrim Cup Bangor 3-0 10 12 56% 87% 0 0 Day, Cole, Doyle Lawlor (3)

</pre>

December

Another monthly accolade for me, manager of the month. Apart from that, not a lot happened that I can remember. Seven league games in all, six wins and a draw.

Premier D Limavady utd 3-2 8 6 51% 66% 0 0 Day (2), Wray Lawlor, Cole

Premier D Crusaders 3-1 5 4 50% 64% 1 0 Hudson (2), Doyle Lawlor (2), Cole

Premier D Bangor 3-0 5 5 48% 71% 0 0 Hudson (2), Day Mudd

Premier D Newry 1-0 4 7 52% 66% 2 0 Day Rose

Premier D Portadown 2-0 11 7 51% 74% 0 0 Lawlor, Day Lawlor, Mudd

Premier D Distillery 2-0 5 7 47% 75% 1 0 Hudson (2) Miller, Scott

Premier D Glentoran 2-2 5 8 57% 77% 0 0 Mudd, Day Mudd, Turnbull

</pre>

January

This is turning into a big "nothing to report" update so I'm happy to finally have a record to announce! Miller set a new record for league appearances, think it was Maring Holmes (gk) who held the record.

Premier D Carrick 1-1 6 16 58% 70% 1 0 Day Brown

Premier D Ballymena utd 7-0 8 9 47% 85% 1 0 Day (5), OG (2) Lawlor (3), Mudd, Rose, Turnbull

Premier D Dungannon 5-2 7 7 59% 79% 1 0 Morgan (3), Lawlor, Bagnall Lawlor (2), Miller, Rose

Irish Cup Annagh utd 2-1 6 10 59% 71% 0 0 Heaney, Baxter Heaney, Baxter

Premier D Institute 2-0 7 4 57% 82% 0 0 Day, Lawlor Day, Lawlor

Premier D Portadown 4-0 10 6 54% 79% 1 0 Jackson (3), Morgan Morgan, Day, Rose

Premier D Carrick 7-0 9 3 44% 81% 0 0 Day (4), Mudd, Doyle, Wray Lawlor (3), Mudd (2), Day

Premier D Linfield 2-1 3 6 53% 75% 1 0 Rose, Hudson Lawlor, Jackson

Antrim Cup Carrick 5-2 8 6 55% 82% 0 0 Morgan (3), Hudson, Wray Mudd (2), Morgan, Hudson, Rose

</pre>

February

Again, the only screenie here is my usual award icon_wink.gif Shamrock Rovers, Drogheda and Glentoran were awaiting our company in the group of the All-Ireland cup while we had a match against Portadown in the Irish Cup.

Irish Cup Portadown 3-0 6 13 52% 81% 1 0 Day, Jackson, Hudson Morgan, Hudson, Lawlor

Premier D Crusaders 1-1 3 12 56% 61% 1 0 Morgan Jackson

All-Ireland Shamrock Rovers 3-1 4 4 49% 61% 0 0 Wray, Bagnall, Brown Williams, Lawlor

Premier D Larne 2-0 4 7 49% 72% 1 0 Hudson, Williams Wray, Doyle

All-Ireland Glentoran 2-1 2 6 56% 76% 0 0 Day (2) Lawlor, Jackson

</pre>

March

A month that saw Portglenone in the Antrim Cup final, which was duly delivered back to Portglenone Stadium in an open top bus, pleasing the fans no end and pleasing the board as well.

Although there is no screenie, we went through our All-Ireland group, quite liked that one!

Antrim Cup Glentoran 4-1 8 8 52% 76% 0 0 Hudson (2), Day, Doyle Lawlor (2), Mudd

All-Ireland Drogheda utd 1-2 3 9 49% 60% 2 0 Morgan Doyle

Irish Cup Donegal Celtic 3-1 4 5 51% 74% 0 0 Morgan (2), Jackson Miller, Hudson, Morgan

All-Ireland Shamrock Rovers 1-3 4 4 55% 65% 1 0 Day

Premier D Bangor 5-0 11 5 50% 85% 2 0 Hudson (2), Brown, Turnbull, OG Hudson, Lawlor, Doyle, Mudd, Scott

All-Ireland Glentoran 2-0 2 7 56% 82% 1 0 Day, Miller Miller, Hudson

Premier D H & W Welders 5-3 13 7 52% 75% 1 0 Hudson (3), Morgan, Mudd Morgan (2), Lawlor, Mudd, Scott

All-Ireland Drogheda 1-1 4 7 49% 53% 0 0 Hudson

Irish Cup Glentoran 1-1 4 4 55% 72% 4 0 Lawlor Day

</pre>

April

A good month. We contested our first ever All-Ireland cup final, although it was not to be. Due to fortunate timing, we secured the league title in a game against Glentoran icon_cool.gif leading to the following screenies:

screenie

screenie

screenie

screenie

Hudson decided that the record books needed re-writing due to him owning matches.

Morgan and Mudd were nominated for the young player of the year while Day and Mudd were in contention for player of the year

Premier D Cliftonville 5-0 9 4 55% 81% 1 0 Morgan (2), Day (2), Brown Brown (2), Larmour, Miller

Premier D Distillery 0-0 6 5 43% 78% 0 0

All-Ireland Bohemians 3-3 3 5 56% 66% 2 0 Hudson (3) Day, Lawlor, Cole

Premier D Glentoran 2-1 4 3 56% 73% 2 0 Hudson (2)

Premier D Newry 4-0 4 6 57% 83% 0 0 Morgan (3), OG Bagnall, Mudd, Jackson, Day

All-Ireland Cork City 1-3 2 10 63% 82% 1 0 Hudson Morgan

Premier D Limavady utd 2-2 4 8 60% 80% 1 0 Hudson (2) Day, Miller

Premier D Cliftonville 2-2 5 8 58% 85% 0 0 Day, Bagnall Doyle (2)

</pre>

And now, the assorted

end of season screenies

Manager Profile

Manager Overview

Finances:

Overview

Income

Expenditure

Fans Player Of The Year Oliver Day

Player Of The Year: Stuart Lawlor

Runner Up Young Player Of The Year: Ryan Morgan

Manager Of The Year: George Washington..

Top GoalscorerOliver Day

League:

Table

Graph

Player Stats

Squad Stats

Overall Best 11

Season Best 11 (don't know why that's the screenie and not the usual one..)

We set a new attendance record which in turn landed us new sponsors that are paying triple what we had, if I remember correctly.

And, to end it for now: Although he didn't play, Tom Rose was called up for the WORLD CUP!

That's it for now, mighty long so I hope I managed to not mess this up...

Icelander. I could call you a "page-breaking arse", but instead I will simply say that you have just produced the best update that I have ecer seen either in this thread or the dafuge thread. That by the way is some considerable achievement as there is some stiff competition.

Phenomenal icon14.gif.

Cheers Jimbo, I'm working on making the next update clearer. I find that a lot of the update just blends together.. Better use of the bold and italics tags will make the next one better, probably coming tomorrow night. That one will, again, revolutionize my updating process icon_wink.gif

I will say, however, that the month-by-month style has made it much more enjoyable to write these and to actually keep tabs on my teams stats. Last season (the next after that update) I changed formations three times to try to improve my stats and/or performances based on the data I was collecting for the update.

Also, and this may be purely because it's how I do it, I find the update easier to read, especially as I can skip through parts of the season that I find unimportant or easily finding what I need to find.

Geez, a simple "thank you" reply is turning into an essay on... nothing, really?

Do you mind if I ask which patch you are playing with and how you found the swap to the latest patch, (if that's what you are using).

In particular the All Ireland games against Irish competition. I notice that you have reached your first final yet I seem unable to even draw against teams from across the border.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Icelander. I could call you a "page-breaking arse", but instead I will simply say that you have just produced the best update that I have ecer seen either in this thread or the dafuge thread. That by the way is some considerable achievement as there is some stiff competition.

Phenomenal icon14.gif.

Get a widescreen monitor you old git icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Do you mind if I ask which patch you are playing with and how you found the swap to the latest patch, (if that's what you are using).

In particular the All Ireland games against Irish competition. I notice that you have reached your first final yet I seem unable to even draw against teams from across the border.

I am indeed using the latest patch. I find it the best fm experience so far (yes, i'm paid to say that) icon_wink.gif The Irish teams are tough, no doubt about it. The key, I've found, is a good keeper and good attackers. The midfield doesn't matter as much in those games as all my games against them have been decided solely by my keeper and attackers. Day and Hudson (and to a certain extent Morgan) are all far better than the norther irish league, would probably be better than the irish league as well. This gives me a distinct advantage.

Also, three midfielders (for me most often 2 cm and an am or the more recent 3 cm) tend to do a good job of keeping the ball in areas where the opposition can't kill you within 3 seconds of getting the ball. I tend to use very high tempo and find that it gets the ball forward much faster, ergo not giving counter-attacks away every second.

And that update is something to aspire to, dafuge. However, I find it a bit hard to read, or rather get the motivation to read it all. maybe that is just me, however icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Icelander83:

And that update is something to aspire to, dafuge. However, I find it a bit hard to read, or rather get the motivation to read it all. maybe that is just me, however icon_smile.gif

I do like your monthly format though, it's a nice way of breaking down the yearly update.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Congrats on winning the cup, DodgeeD!! icon14.gif great achievement.. well done on turning the finances around too. great nogeotiating skills on the sale of Morisseau... icon_wink.gif

good luck in europe next season icon14.gif

Cheers. icon14.gif I got an easy draw for the 1stqualifying round in UEFA but I was unseeded for the second round. Drawn against Rapid Wien so it could have been worse - avoided the Intertoto and Fair Play qualifiers at least. I'm now raising the stakes and aiming for the group stages. icon_wink.gif

ghostwriter Another great end of season report. icon14.gif

With regard to Franz Sutter? His attributes don't look overly impressive but it's great isn't when players over perform like that. Per Christian Myhre is that type of player for me. icon_cool.gif

cheers icon14.gif

Yeah, Sutter does not look great at all. I actually rechecked the screenshot from his first season to copmare and well, he was "better" when he arrived, but none of his attribute losses have come in the striking department thankfully. I love players playing way above their station, the MR, Delechat, I had a few seasons ago looked absolutely dreadful but he always averaged above 7 with multiple assists.

Anyway, 10 games into 19/20 and Zurich and Thun have yet to drop a point while Zurich have not even conceded a goal yet (40 scored) icon_rolleyes.gif. So, clearly no hope of promotion this season either.

Two of my players were like that, one is even in the clubs "favoured persons" list. He was a midfielder with awful attributes, always played like he was in the english premiership. Unfortunatly that stopped and I had to let him go. The other was a winger who was rated by my ass man as "the 7th best left midfielder in the squad" but always, always ended up with a goal, an assist or both.

Ahh, good times icon_cool.gif

Lucky people, the only sure fire player I have is a right/left back. He will without fail get booked every single game, even now that he is a backup if I bring him on 60-70th minute he'll still find time to get a yellow card. I don't recall him ever being sent off though, quite remarkable.

Archived