Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Razer

He was only signed for my club on the 31st, on a free. So it isn't surprising he isn't quite match fit yet. got him and my other striker as target men, both scored 2 in my latest game to record a 4-0 win.

but for some reason my scouts hate him, don't know why.

Good update DodgeeD :)

We seem to be at almost exactly the same stage in our games, and doing about as well as the other - even down to our European co-efficients!

Race ya! :D

You're on! Warning though - I'm hoping for my coefficient to jump after this season as my European campaign 5 years back ended in early failiure but that's about to be scratched off and replaced by a (hopefully) much more successful season! :D

Razer

He was only signed for my club on the 31st, on a free. So it isn't surprising he isn't quite match fit yet. got him and my other striker as target men, both scored 2 in my latest game to record a 4-0 win.

but for some reason my scouts hate him, don't know why.

I only mentioned his fitness due to his low stamina stat, you can get some fixture backlog in N.I. due to the number of cups so would need to be careful with him.

also the Islanders are starting to come now. I've just spotted a Bermudan striker, 12 finishing. Looks promising.

Best get him signed quick then.

You're on! Warning though - I'm hoping for my coefficient to jump after this season as my European campaign 5 years back ended in early failiure but that's about to be scratched off and replaced by a (hopefully) much more successful season! :D

Looks like we've now got a challenge within the challenge. Will be interesting to watch this develop. :thup:

Sporting Fingal - Irish First Division 2010

Transfers

After demanding a minimum of a "Safe mid-table finish" last season, this year the boards minimum was "avoid relegation". With an eye to my own survival and because I was only using half the wage budget that level of ambition allowed, thats what I promised. No new players arrived pre-season as my scouts had failed miserably in finding anyone. The Assistants team report wasn't too hopeful.

When the July transfer window opened the bids started to fly in. I set silly prices, teams matched it and the chairman stepped in and accepted. Considering the clubs finances, I'm glad he did. My DC, Paddy Keogh went to Cork for £500k and was replaced with Derek Strain from Derry for £40k. My regular DR, Colm Boyle went to Shamrock Rovers for £230k and was replaced for £4k and Adam Short, one of my promising MC's went to Galway for £160k as I have plenty of players in that position. These ins and outs meant transfers were showing a healthy profit. The boards also anounced a link with Aston Villa so I got a GK, MC & AMLC from them, all better than my lot but I prefer to groom my own players so they weren't first team regulars. This and the trimming of some weaker squad members left us with a first team with an average age of just 19.

League

In the league we started well and by mid-season we were in 3rd, not really threatening the top 2 but holding our own. With Finn Harps, Galway and Shamrock Rovers getting cut adrift early on there was less than 10 points between 1st and 7th for most of the season so a couple of wins could see a team leap up the table. The table was often skewed due to one team or another having a few games in hand so we found ourselves top with 10 games to go, but Bohemians and St. Pat's had 3 games in hand. Up next were games against Bohemians at home and St. Pat's away. A 0-1 loss to Bohs and a draw with St.Pat's wasn't what we needed. Our form was patchy but neither Bohs or St. Pat's could string a decent run together either. With one game to go, second place was assured and we were 3 points behind Bohs and 4 goals worse off on GD. A good win against Cork and a bit of luck was needed. We got neither as we drew, matching Bohs final day result. Having feared relegation my squad of kids had managed second in the league.

Our run in the cup saw us cruise past non-league Malahide Utd and Letterkenny before we faced Shamrock Rovers away in the qtrs. A 4-0 hammering later and St. Pat's stood between us and our first cup final. A 3-1 win and the fans were set for a day out. Sligo Rovers were the opposition and in a close game we edged it 2-1 with a fluke goal in injury time. Sporting Fingal have won their first ever Irish Senior Challenge Cup.

So, we get to play in Europe next season and gain entry to the All Ireland Cup. I can smell the money already :)

Sporting Fingal Trophy Room

Irish First Division - 2008

Irish Senior Challenge Cup - 2010

Razer, what do you think of my islander? can he start?

I wouldn't start him myself, would play him off the bench for the first season while the training improves his stats. But it's your game, if you feel he's good enough to start then play him.

daemonic - Great season, congratulations on finishing 2nd, a great achievement considering the board were preparing for relegation. Good luck for Europe and the All Ireland cup next season.

Mine too! I have two years of UEFA cup failure about to fall off, and I'm just starting 2018-19 and have qualified for the CL groups for the first time.

A healthy contest between Slovenia and the Czech Republic. Who's your money on people? :D

Mine too! I have two years of UEFA cup failure about to fall off, and I'm just starting 2018-19 and have qualified for the CL groups for the first time.

A healthy contest between Slovenia and the Czech Republic. Who's your money on people? :D

...and having accepted the challenge, I have now just failed to make the group stages of the Champions League for the first time in 4 seasons. :o And now in the UEFA Cup, I've got Villareal and Roma in my group! :eek: I can still get third though ;)

It's pretty shocking the amount of Own goals scored in N. Ireland. I've had 3 of my own, and 3 my opponents have scored. It's only october :O

Don't think I've ever had more than a couple for an entire season, you must just be lucky!

Doesn't look too great really Frazza, sorry... In that league your best off with just acquring a hella load of loans, and if you want people permanently than mainly you want good physical stats. Even if Finishing is low, say 6/7+ if Pace/Acceleration/Strength are over 10 or 11 then they will score goals for fun.

EDIT- Hang on, just seen that he's double footed. Always seems to make players perform much better so yeah, maybe half decent. I like my half-decent players to be good for an impact of the bench, but he's not really fast enough to scare tired defenders.

Doesn't look too great really Frazza, sorry... In that league your best off with just acquring a hella load of loans, and if you want people permanently than mainly you want good physical stats. Even if Finishing is low, say 6/7+ if Pace/Acceleration/Strength are over 10 or 11 then they will score goals for fun.

But, paired up with a striker that will tire out the defence, and he just finishes them off.

Cookstown Olympic - season 2017/18

#as stated earlier on this page I've come back to the game after a two month lay off. I won the league, but only in the last couple of games, beating Newry away with two games to go 4-1 (Newry were neck and neck all season)

Didn't do much in the cups but cannot remember anything about three quarters of the season.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/kccircle/table-14.jpg

Hope this is how you attach pics now (1st one since change over)

Gundo - 3rd league title now for Cookstown

Theres 5 teams in the UEFA cup group and the first 3 qualify for the next round.

oh yeah, I forgot. Thought it was top 2 go thru, went to sleep for a minute there :)

also to anyone who knows, does top spot in the North Ireland premier get you Europe or not?

oh yeah, I forgot. Thought it was top 2 go thru, went to sleep for a minute there :)

also to anyone who knows, does top spot in the North Ireland premier get you Europe or not?

Top spot will get you Champions League football, runner up in the Euro Cup along with the winner of the cup and 3rd place goes into the Euro Vase.

Albert Foundry 2008/2009

Position:1st

Expected position: 5th

Overall, a very good season. Even though it was a transition season, I managed to clinch the title by 5 points.

League table: http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nireleaguetblyj3.jpg

best player: http://img104.imageshack.us/my.php?image=timmyeolbe1.jpg

Hopefully I can build on this for next year.

Another question: Do Islanders come consistently every year?

I don't know how it would stand in the rules, but it's not something that I would do. Although it is your game and up to you if you choose to do it. Gundo's the only who can say yes or no to it.

Holidaying ends after first season

After that no games are pointless - not really rocket science though

- Sazchu - Icelandic First Division - Season 2009 - Hvíti Riddarinn -

After a couple of years and two teams in Hungary i went back to Iceland to see if i could do better than i did last time and got myself into Hvíti Riddarinn who were founded in 1998 and play on Varmárvöllur which can hold up to 1000 people, of those 300 can be seated.

Media Prediction: 12th of 12

Lower League Cup(LLC)

We were in a group with GG, Huginn, Víðir, ÍH and Höttur, none of which were in the First Division at the time so i was hoping to win the group but you don't always get what you want, so i settled for 3rd place, a point behind group winners GG and as many points as 2nd place Huginn but lost out on goal difference.

Visa Bikarinn(Icelandic Cup)

We played one game and that was it a 1:3 loss to Grindavík.

Icelandic First Division

We were predicted 12th place in the league and looking at most part of the season we wouldve done well to get one place higher, but in july just before tha transfer window was closed i strengthened the squad a little bit which saw us getting some good result in the last stint of the season which resulted in us getting 11th place, two points behind 10th place, so a relegation it was and ofcourse automatic sacking.

Transfers

We were quite active when it came to transfers as is to be expected of a newly promoted club with few players, signing a total of 19 players, though 11 of them had been signed by the one who was managing Hvíti Riddarinn before me.

Team/Player Awards

Fan's Player of the year: Nikulás Árni Sigfússon

I have not yet given up on Iceland and have therefore taken over at Kári and will hopefully manage to get them to europe in a few years.

Holidaying ends after first season

After that no games are pointless - not really rocket science though

Figured that would probably be the case. I'm just at that point that many long term NI managers will recognise of being totally dominant domestically and finding league matches a bit of a grind.

Will plough on then.

- Sazchu - Icelandic First Division - Season 2009 - Hvíti Riddarinn -

After a couple of years and two teams in Hungary i went back to Iceland to see if i could do better than i did last time and got myself into Hvíti Riddarinn who were founded in 1998 and play on Varmárvöllur which can hold up to 1000 people, of those 300 can be seated.

Media Prediction: 12th of 12

Lower League Cup(LLC)

We were in a group with GG, Huginn, Víðir, ÍH and Höttur, none of which were in the First Division at the time so i was hoping to win the group but you don't always get what you want, so i settled for 3rd place, a point behind group winners GG and as many points as 2nd place Huginn but lost out on goal difference.

Visa Bikarinn(Icelandic Cup)

We played one game and that was it a 1:3 loss to Grindavík.

Icelandic First Division

We were predicted 12th place in the league and looking at most part of the season we wouldve done well to get one place higher, but in july just before tha transfer window was closed i strengthened the squad a little bit which saw us getting some good result in the last stint of the season which resulted in us getting 11th place, two points behind 10th place, so a relegation it was and ofcourse automatic sacking.

Transfers

We were quite active when it came to transfers as is to be expected of a newly promoted club with few players, signing a total of 19 players, though 11 of them had been signed by the one who was managing Hvíti Riddarinn before me.

Team/Player Awards

Fan's Player of the year: Nikulás Árni Sigfússon

I have not yet given up on Iceland and have therefore taken over at Kári and will hopefully manage to get them to europe in a few years.

unlucky Sazchu - hopefully you'll have more luck with Kári.... :thup:

Thanks guys, I'm glad to be able to say that i'm doing better with Kári, though I'm getting kinda annoyed by teams being interested in a couple of my players and therefore having to reject quite a bit of offers, though i might be forced to sell my main striker due to financial problems.

Looks as if the only way I'm ever going to go up is via the playoff system. The two who come down are just way too good for this division. It is seriously a bit of a joke when you see how many points they drop through the season. Maybe 10 or 12. Sometimes even 6

I won't go up this season, due to awful form and missing my key players through injury and international games etc...

I really need to start making money. But i get no offers for my players, no stadium upgrades and am expected to start winning things. The board are complete joke tbh.

Yeah, I know how you feel gaijin. I think my chairman has a yacht full of tankers of champagne or something, because we are dropping serious cash every month. We are somehow 200k in the red, even though I am well within the wage budget and haven't spent a penny on transfers (somewhat of an unobtained luxury).

Looks as if the only way I'm ever going to go up is via the playoff system. The two who come down are just way too good for this division. It is seriously a bit of a joke when you see how many points they drop through the season. Maybe 10 or 12. Sometimes even 6

I won't go up this season, due to awful form and missing my key players through injury and international games etc...

I really need to start making money. But i get no offers for my players, no stadium upgrades and am expected to start winning things. The board are complete joke tbh.

I'd love not to be getting any offers for any of my players becaus i'm always bombarded by a few clubs every few days with offers to buy this and that and maby three or four more players which i can't really understand, since we arent getting any great results in our games which i would expect would attract clubs to the players.

Well I've just sold a fairly average left back that came through my youth ranks for 14k + 40% sell on fee. I am negotiating other bids, but the offers are pretty poor tbh. Most clubs can't afford what I'm asking for...

Hello one and all, have tried this challenge in the past. Could have even been FM07, i'm not sure. Anyway I got really into it so i'm going to give it another go and hopefully recreate the enjoyment I had in my previous game with the mighty FC Brumov :D

About to start holidaying, will post back with screenshots once I have a team.

Archived