Is it possible to build up a city team over the years?

you think it is possible to build up a premier league tsam, only using players which are born in the city you are playing? For example winning a title with man united, habing a team only with players wich are born in manchester?

Should be a funny challenge ;)

Yeah, it's definitely possible. It entirely depends on your patience (and I guess on the team you pick. Winning with Wrexham or Yeovil Town will take longer than with Arsenal).

Okay, but I tried with Liverpool, and there you got already a the beginning some kind of restricitions. The board asks you to play ball possession football and attacking, while signing young players for the team.

So you think with an etablished team it will be easier?

he said Arsenal because they're in London, a city with a population of 8.6m

Liverpool (by contrast) have a population of around 500,000

the club isn't relevant, but the city is (so Paris would be relatively easy - 2.2m population and only 2 clubs there [PSG and Paris FC]) whereas the likes of Liverpool (2 clubs, but only 500,000 players) would be more difficult

and then you'd go with a bigger club because you'd be able to snare most of the talent easily

Wrexham would be easy to nab the good Wrexham-born players (once your big enough to keep the Prem contenders away) but you'll be limited by your clubs production, hence longer to complete [plus the 6 seasons it would take to get to the prem]

With Liverpool, in the first transfer window, I already easyily got all the best liverpool born talents of Everton (except Barkley ;) )

But yeah you will be right. I also think the attractivity and population of the city are the main things

Would London be that easy? Given it's England, you're going to have to pay the tax on English players, so bringing in the quality to consistently keep a team like Arsenal on the top will take considerable funds, given that your youth academy probably can't be wholly relied upon to fill the ranks. Outside of England, bigger cities would be a good bet.

I tried this in '14 with Leeds, was going pretty well but took rather a long time.. board expectations can be changed over the seasons and you can quite easily shape the clubs whole philosophy after a while...

Really good challenge, I loved it.

I'd have to point out I used Yorkshire as a whole and not Leeds itself though :)

Would London be that easy? Given it's England, you're going to have to pay the tax on English players, so bringing in the quality to consistently keep a team like Arsenal on the top will take considerable funds, given that your youth academy probably can't be wholly relied upon to fill the ranks. Outside of England, bigger cities would be a good bet.

The thing is, once you get 2 or 3 seasons in, the TV money you get from the Prem can actually give you pretty big budgets, I was getting around £300-400m a year to spend at Arsenal in that time.

The thing is, once you get 2 or 3 seasons in, the TV money you get from the Prem can actually give you pretty big budgets, I was getting around £300-400m a year to spend at Arsenal in that time.

Yeah, of course you do. But with those riches come teams demanding ransoms for players, plus the home grown tax. It's still going to cost a lot of money to bring in the very best that don't start with the club.

The other reason I said Arsenal is that they start with excellent facilities. You're going to need many, many intakes to fill your squad, so the sooner you can start picking up top prospects the better. With lower-league teams, chances are your facilities will be crap and your first several youth intakes won't produce any useful players, until you can scrape enough money for several successive upgrades. You might could be looking at three to five years before you get your first squad players. That, I think, is just too slow.

You'll want a big team, great starting facilities, money and good ways to make money, big city with lots of youth gen... that's the way to go. Depending on how you feel about the edges of the challenge - can you sign players who aren't from your city as stopgaps? - expectations will be a big thing too.

Money is critical because prospect scarcity will be so extreme that valuations will be all out of whack for you. If you're Roma, for example, and Lazio pull up a 15 year old Roman center back with a ~170 PA, you have to buy that player. And you'll have to do it despite buying from a rival. So there's going to be huge premiums and you'll have to be prepared to spend £30m+ per prospect. A London-based club would have the advantage of having several clubs that can generate London prospects, some of whom won't be your rivals, meaning you won't have to pay that premium. That will doubly accelerate your progress.

The other reason I said Arsenal is that they start with excellent facilities. You're going to need many, many intakes to fill your squad, so the sooner you can start picking up top prospects the better. With lower-league teams, chances are your facilities will be crap and your first several youth intakes won't produce any useful players, until you can scrape enough money for several successive upgrades. You might could be looking at three to five years before you get your first squad players. That, I think, is just too slow.

You'll want a big team, great starting facilities, money and good ways to make money, big city with lots of youth gen... that's the way to go. Depending on how you feel about the edges of the challenge - can you sign players who aren't from your city as stopgaps? - expectations will be a big thing too.

Money is critical because prospect scarcity will be so extreme that valuations will be all out of whack for you. If you're Roma, for example, and Lazio pull up a 15 year old Roman center back with a ~170 PA, you have to buy that player. And you'll have to do it despite buying from a rival. So there's going to be huge premiums and you'll have to be prepared to spend £30m+ per prospect. A London-based club would have the advantage of having several clubs that can generate London prospects, some of whom won't be your rivals, meaning you won't have to pay that premium. That will doubly accelerate your progress.

Two points...

One, just because Arsenal have the facilities, doesn't mean they'll produce the players. You're unlikely to get a real superstar through, but I suppose if you're just filling squads, you'll do fine. I wouldn't rely on youth-only at a club like Arsenal, as the competition in London for intakes will mean you'll very, very rarely produce a player that can fire you to the level Arsenal should be at.

Two, like I said, you will have to pay a premium, because these will be, if you're doing it right, top quality English prospects. And the more money you have, the more teams will demand for certain players.

I think you'd be better doing this in any city that isn't London to be honest.

Arsenal (or Chelsea or Barcelona or whichever top established club you like) will have the facilities from game start, which means you'll have that many more intakes that could produce a Totti to build around than a lesser club. Given enough time, you could do this with any team, but most of us have a finite attention span. Grinding out five seasons just to get the facilities to a competitive level, I think, would test most people's patience with the challenge.

And yes, while London-based prospects are going to be split among multiple clubs, some of those clubs will not be rivals of yours. If you're playing as Inter, for example, any Milanese prospect worth having will end up with you (good!) or with AC Milan (very bad!). You'll then have to buy from a team who has no reason to sell to you, no interest in selling to you and who will demand huge markups because you're a rival. That's a really tough situation to navigate! And you won't even in that example have much of a reputation advantage to help out, though in other two-club cities like Paris, Barcelona or Berlin the bigger team will have an edge.

While the prospects will be more spread out in London, raising funds is pretty trivial assuming you're capable of developing players and playing the transfer market - and of course continuing to remain competitive in the league as you assemble your squad. You might lose prospects to other clubs, but often the teams you'll lose them to are Crystal Palace or Fulham or West Ham, who you ought to be able to buy from. Meanwhile, a manager at Inter who loses a kid to AC Milan (or god forbid a manager at like Red Star who needs to buy a kid off PSG) is going to face a serious struggle to make a deal. It's also possible that you can use the multiple smaller clubs in a big city as affiliates to boost your own intake or to get first options.

Arsenal (or Chelsea or Barcelona or whichever top established club you like) will have the facilities from game start, which means you'll have that many more intakes that could produce a Totti to build around than a lesser club. Given enough time, you could do this with any team, but most of us have a finite attention span. Grinding out five seasons just to get the facilities to a competitive level, I think, would test most people's patience with the challenge.

And yes, while London-based prospects are going to be split among multiple clubs, some of those clubs will not be rivals of yours. If you're playing as Inter, for example, any Milanese prospect worth having will end up with you (good!) or with AC Milan (very bad!). You'll then have to buy from a team who has no reason to sell to you, no interest in selling to you and who will demand huge markups because you're a rival. That's a really tough situation to navigate! And you won't even in that example have much of a reputation advantage to help out, though in other two-club cities like Paris, Barcelona or Berlin the bigger team will have an edge.

While the prospects will be more spread out in London, raising funds is pretty trivial assuming you're capable of developing players and playing the transfer market - and of course continuing to remain competitive in the league as you assemble your squad. You might lose prospects to other clubs, but often the teams you'll lose them to are Crystal Palace or Fulham or West Ham, who you ought to be able to buy from. Meanwhile, a manager at Inter who loses a kid to AC Milan (or god forbid a manager at like Red Star who needs to buy a kid off PSG) is going to face a serious struggle to make a deal. It's also possible that you can use the multiple smaller clubs in a big city as affiliates to boost your own intake or to get first options.

The challenge is going to take a long old time. If you want a short-term hit, this probably isn't the one you should try. "Grinding for five seasons" in the timeline that this challenge would probably take you is nothing.

If you think it'd be easier with Arsenal, fair enough, more power to you. I disagree, but it's based on nothing really tangible. If someone goes out and does it, then like I say, great.

It's not Arsenal specifically that I think it'd be easier with. Big team, good facilities, big money, lots of prospects to draw from.

And yeah, it's going to take an extraordinary amount of time. So you want as many productive youth classes as you can get, because every class that doesn't have a useful player is one that's wasted. And the longer your original scope is, the greater the benefit you'll get from being a little bit more efficient.

The Basque Country has around 3 million people, and yet Athletic do well in real life and on FM aren't the biggest challenge in the world. London has almost three times as many people. While not easy I'm fairly certain a London challenge would be more than doable.

London has almost three times as many people.

And probably more than three times as many clubs - certainly more clubs at a higher level, so the competition is also greater...

Archived