[FM16] Swatemalan Morons

GreyedOutMan

Combining two of my games, I've decided to give it another go with Moron BK in the Swedish lower leagues as per a few years ago. A few years ago, this save was purely youth driven, and I managed to move up a couple of leagues but not many. I've decided this year, because I'll be doing my now annual Guatemala challenge alongside it, that the following rules will be driving the save:

1. I am not allowed to sign ANYONE over the age of 18 UNLESS THEY ARE GUATEMALAN.

2. However, I will allow myself to pinch youngsters if I can, because I think without this possibility the challenge becomes impossible. So I can sign anyone aged 18 or under.

I will be using my youth academy overwhelmingly, but also keeping an eye on Guatemalans I can develop from elsewhere as well as the top talent available to me coming out of youth academies.

Here goes...

EDT: Turns out, they were relegated last year and are now unplayable! Disaster! So instead, I'll go with a rather ruder insult for my new team. Same rules etc.

I'm now the manager of 200px-Cd_wanka.png Deportivo Wanka!

Right, I'm going to do updates at fairly random times (not always even EoS updates), just when it's easy to do so. And it's easy now and it's a good time to do it - I've just remembered LOANS which has produced my best result of the season at the first time of asking!

My squad is coming together nicely. I know I said I wouldn't buy players but given that I had none, that had to go out of the window. I'll look to revert to the original rules in the OP in a few years.

Results have been a bit hit and miss but are going in the right direction.

Been a season of two halves so far, things have gone a bit belly-up since the end of August. Still, it's a long season (11 months), so plenty of time to make up ground in the race for promotion.

It's hard to believe that my squad was totally empty when I arrived, but it most certainly isn't now. However, when your best player is a 39 year old, there's a problem! But I have high hopes for Bryan Orellana, who I have had before, Henry Pereira and Edgar Chub, and Guzman has done a great job for me on loan.

A nice unbeaten run has started to build up which hascut the gap to the playoff places from 14 to 9. It might be too little, too late, but we'll see...

The squad is giving me some difficulty because we're massively over budget, hence a couple of loans out now, to reduce the wage budget. I'll be offloading as many as I can and just keeping the top performers to be supplemented with loanees in next year!

The end of the season sees me comfortably in mid-table but how many leagues do you see where you can get 81 points and finish in the bottom half?! Too many draws cost me - had eight (or perhaps even seven) of the 15 been turned into wins, I would have been at least in the promotion playoff but probably automatically promoted.

My squad is improving gradually. Should note that both Gonzalez and Orellana played a part for me this season despite those stats referring to their loan spells. Guzman was the main goalscorer, although Ortega did better in the second half of the season and should be a key member of the side next year. Of the intake, Zegarra has made the most promising start to his fledgling career for me. Next season, I want to be promoted. If I can get a few solid loan signings that should be possible.

Been busy in the transfer market. I also renewed quite a few loans from last year for a further 12 months, so my squad is looking a bit fuller than last year. There will be more to come, I'm sure. Results have been very up and down - with a clean sheet for one side in every game so far. Need to start putting a run of form together, really. It sees us 8th in the league, but we need more consistency if we're to put a promotion charge together.

Since my last update, things are starting to look up. I didn't want to post during a winning run for fear of jinxing it, so a last minute equaliser against Sport Boys, annoying though it was, did at least afford me the chance to update. Four games won on the trot is probably my best run, I think, and if we can do that a few more times this year, we should go up.

Two new signings have been the standout players for me so far, and I'm pleased to say that they're even relatively cheap! Niger Vega is playing the Ozil role, with a massive 70 key passes in just ten games, while Percy Maldonado is a defensive stalwart in the Pirlo vein - creating as well as being a rock in midfield for me.

My run of 12 unbeaten, including 10 wins, came to an end at Pacifico, once again prompting an update. Despite being 1-0 up at half-time. We chased a winner in the final stages and got sucker-punched, unfortunately.

My squad is looking really strong, with some good performances from my two 14 year olds and good strides from the other teenager, Jairo Pajaro.

The table is also looking healthy, although 3 points against Pacifico would have had me level on points with the leaders!

A short run being put together of unbeaten games. I've also signed a couple of players who are coming in at the end of December for the second half of the season: Varillas on a free from White Star, whose pace could come in useful when I'm chasing a game, and Ramirez who will be one of my best players, I think.

A good season where I faltered at the end, unfortunately. Vega was a top find and will continue to be my key player next year, winning the POTS award by a landslide. The squad looks very strong, with masses of potential there - and with players coming in who are as good if not better as the best there, next year OUGHT to be a doddle.

I want to get up next year. No more faffing.

Rather up and down this season, which means we sit precariously outside the promotion race, although it's close enough that it's far from over yet. In Castro and Vega, we have the best two players in the league, and while Castro will not be staying on for another loan spell, Vega has signed a new contract for another year at the club.

The squad as a whole is not doing as well as it was - a lack of goals from our strikers has led to Guadalupe being given a chance which he has kinda taken - although 12 goals in 18 starts isn't as good as I would like.

My squad have done me proud this year, in a season which saw me eventually finish second, with a tremendous final quarter of the season. Zuniga, who was one of my best players despite being 41, will unfortunately be retiring, but then again at a higher level he would probably struggle!

You'll be pleased to know that Willy Serrano will be joining Deportivo Wanka in the Copa Movistar, Peru's top league.

Castro was voted player over the season, and Zuniga the signing of the year, but despite not playing for the first half of the season, Guadalupe was my top scorer, with Castro being statistically the best player all round and Vega getting the most assists. Pretty awesome stats from this squad, though.

It's been hard to know when to update because I don't like doing it when on good form but it has continued on and on! So we drew a game, which seemed like a good moment to post! What a start to life in the top division! Challenging for a top half finish at least, but even a title challenge could be on here if we can maintain our form. Once again, a switch up front has paid dividends, as 16 year-old Marco Varillas has been scoring for fun. Indeed, he has been the pick of the bunch so far, and I have very high hopes of the pacy striker signed on a free from White Star as a 14 year old. Desperately trying to get Erick Ortega off the wage bill, though - he did really well in his first spell with me, especially in the first season, but I don't know why I signed him back.

• 3 months later...

Archived