Lower League

I've always done this by downloading tactics in the past but I want to develop my own this time, but I do want a bit of help from here.

I'm trying to base it around the players I have rather than just playing exactly the same way no matter what, so I'm now putting specific instructions for each player, whilst keeping the overall roles the same so that the squad doesn't change its shape too much if we get injuries or make signings. I'd love feedback on what I have here - obviously it's based on the players I have in there at the moment for now but will be tweaked when it changes...., and I have the roles afterwards which I don't intend to change apart from perhaps mid-game to tweak (any suggestions on possible tweaks to this in specific situations greatly appreciated too).

GK - Jay Lynch - GK, Defend

DL - Euan Holden - WB, Support

DC - Nathan Kelly - CD, Defend

DC - Herve Pepe-Ngoma - CD, Defend

DR - Jake Cook - FB, Defend

ML - Luke Giverin - W, Attack

MC - Jonathan D'Laryea - BWM, Defend

MC - Jamey Osborne - BBM, Support

MR - Max Harrop - WM, Support

SC - Joey Johnson - TM, Support

SC - Danny Webber - AF, Attack

Team instructions.

What issues are you seeing? I could make a few assumptions based on the info provided, but what sort of goals are you conceding? Why are you trying to play a possession game but using a Target Man? Is the midfield screening the defence well enough?

Read the first paragraph in this reply in another thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/453239-Players-not-closing-down?p=10739885&viewfull=1#post10739885

I've always done this by downloading tactics in the past but I want to develop my own this time, but I do want a bit of help from here.

I'm trying to base it around the players I have rather than just playing exactly the same way no matter what, so I'm now putting specific instructions for each player, whilst keeping the overall roles the same so that the squad doesn't change its shape too much if we get injuries or make signings. I'd love feedback on what I have here - obviously it's based on the players I have in there at the moment for now but will be tweaked when it changes...., and I have the roles afterwards which I don't intend to change apart from perhaps mid-game to tweak (any suggestions on possible tweaks to this in specific situations greatly appreciated too).

GK - Jay Lynch - GK, Defend

DL - Euan Holden - WB, Support

DC - Nathan Kelly - CD, Defend

DC - Herve Pepe-Ngoma - CD, Defend

DR - Jake Cook - FB, Defend

ML - Luke Giverin - W, Attack

MC - Jonathan D'Laryea - BWM, Defend

MC - Jamey Osborne - BBM, Support

MR - Max Harrop - WM, Support

SC - Joey Johnson - TM, Support

SC - Danny Webber - AF, Attack

Team instructions.

I'm by no means an expert but here's the issues I see:

Your left side is very exposed. A winger (attack) AND a wing back means virtually no cover. Your BWM will be running around the pitch closing down players and space meaning he's not actually shielding your back 4. I'd take a wild guess that a lot of goals you concede are down that side.

On the flip side, your right hand side is very negative. No one pushing on to get crosses in which means no supply from that side to your strikers. If I was the opposition defence I would be delighted because there's next to no threat from that side.

As RTH said, a target man doesn't really lend itself to short passing (as I have found out :D). Chances are your players (who aren't technically or mentally gifted) are just knocking the ball long to him.

I would say that if you're going to play an attacking winger then you need a full back on support to back him up on that side. If you're playing a wide midfielder on support then a more attacking full back would benefit more to try and get beyond him.

I imagine as well that a few of your players end up out of position because of the closing down. Also, your middle will sometimes be exposed because your BBM can't get back quick enough and your BWM has chased himself out of position.

Archived