Thoughts for a FM17 "Challenge Series"

Hello everyone!

FM17 is fast approaching and I was thinking of an idea for a "Challenge Series" and want some response as to whether this would be interesting.

A lot of challenges here is about building a club or a manager profile over several season.

My idea was to have a "Challenge Series" consisting of several shorter challenges. These challenges would mostly be 1 season or 2 seasons maximum at the beginning, and everyone with a points system where total possible points for each challenge being approximately the same. Every participant would then complete each challenge and submit their results according to rules and regulation to the challenge. In the end after all challenges in the ordinary round is completed, each manager would be illegible to "delete" a few scores from their challenges (for example if there are 10 challenge, the best 7 or 8 would count) and it would lead into a few final challenges between those managers with the best scores. These final challenges would probably be 2-4 seasons long challenges and not more than 3 of those to crown the very best manager on the forum.

Any thoughts or ideas as to whether such a challenge series would be fun and attractive would be appreciated.

I would probably join something like that, but maybe not at the start, since then I'm usually having a go at dafuges or gundos challenges. Anyway, I'd be interested if someone was to make something like this.

15 hours ago, XaW said:

I would probably join something like that, but maybe not at the start, since then I'm usually having a go at dafuges or gundos challenges. Anyway, I'd be interested if someone was to make something like this.

Nice to hear. A thought is to set it up a couple of weeks after launch, but with a "deadline" that allows people to play at their own pace, so that it would take quite sometime before you need to complete all the inaugural challenges.

Would also like people to make suggestions for teams/countries to be part of the challenge. Remember it should be a decent challenge for 1-2 seasons. Would also be nice if you write a few words of why this club/country should be part of the challenge, what makes it interesting. And if there is certain competitions/achievements that should count for the completion of the challenge.

After Two long years in the Fear of relegation, "The National club of India" Mohun Bagan won the I-League in 2014-15. However, most pundits claimed that this was due to most of the other clubs players being tired after the innaugaural season of ISL and could not hold up. Though they did not hold up, they managed to secure second Position.

The Challenge(Increasing order of difficulty, points to be allocated likewise):

1. Win the 2016-17 I-League(Simple, right?)
  2. Win the Fed cup and I-League 2016-17
  3. Stay on after winning the I-League and make it to the group stage of Asian Champions league, something never done before by any indian club

Bonus:

• Finish the I-League unbeaten
  • Mohun Bagan is famous for having defeated East Yorkshire regiment in the 1911 IFA shield final. Repeat that feat by inviting an East Yorkshire team for a friendly(Getting them to accept will be difficult already). Possible teams
    • Hull City(If you can bring them to Salt Lake stadium, that itself would be history)
    • Nort Ferriby United(Too long to travel)
    • Goole(if they come, you might be able to defeat them)

55 minutes ago, Sankalan said:

After Two long years in the Fear of relegation, "The National club of India" Mohun Bagan won the I-League in 2014-15. However, most pundits claimed that this was due to most of the other clubs players being tired after the innaugaural season of ISL and could not hold up. Though they did not hold up, they managed to secure second Position.

The Challenge(Increasing order of difficulty, points to be allocated likewise):

1. Win the 2016-17 I-League(Simple, right?)
  2. Win the Fed cup and I-League 2016-17
  3. Stay on after winning the I-League and make it to the group stage of Asian Champions league, something never done before by any indian club

Bonus:

• Finish the I-League unbeaten
  • Mohun Bagan is famous for having defeated East Yorkshire regiment in the 1911 IFA shield final. Repeat that feat by inviting an East Yorkshire team for a friendly(Getting them to accept will be difficult already). Possible teams
    • Hull City(If you can bring them to Salt Lake stadium, that itself would be history)
    • Nort Ferriby United(Too long to travel)
    • Goole(if they come, you might be able to defeat them)

Thanks for your input @Sankalan this will be strongly considered for the challenge.

Just now, ashton321 said:

I think attempting to retain the title with Leicester would be a tough one. 

Also maybe 3 year challenge with Man U to win something with kids. Say at the end of season 2 you have no over 23 players. (That one is from Champman0102)

Thanks for comments, both of these will be taken into consideration.

If you have a quick search of some of the older threads there were some great short challenge idea threads, and they really took off.

I ran one, will see if I can find it, where I used holiday games to certain points and then made a scenario from there, things like a big team near bottom at Christmas, save them, and similar. Definitely worth doing. Is probably best if you do it with a loaded save game though as otherwise some of the set-up sections can cause a huge difference between games.

39 minutes ago, Lower Leagues Rule said:

If you have a quick search of some of the older threads there were some great short challenge idea threads, and they really took off.

I ran one, will see if I can find it, where I used holiday games to certain points and then made a scenario from there, things like a big team near bottom at Christmas, save them, and similar. Definitely worth doing. Is probably best if you do it with a loaded save game though as otherwise some of the set-up sections can cause a huge difference between games.

Thanks for the advice @Lower Leagues Rule

I was thinking for everyone to choose their own step, but now that you mention it I will certainly look into making it with a saved file. Just that the order and some of the setup I want people to choose on their own, as I was thinking of bringing at least manager character on from game to game.

• 3 weeks later...

This was done a few editions ago - it worked quite well.

Someone uploaded a save game of example Man U being bottom of the league at Xmas and then the aim was to 1) avoid relegation, 2) Get to the top half of the table, 3) Get Euro qualification and 4) Win the league.... with points available for each achievement

A series of challenges like this would be great, with differing points available on a sliding scale and a league table available with those taking part

Examples could be

1) Avoid relegation - as above

2) Win the FA Cup with X team

3) Get X Striker to score 30 goals 

etc

@TheEarl, I would be interested in joining something like this, and I like the fact that you are thinking shorter challenges which can be played alongside other long-term saves. And I certainly agree that everyone should use the same .save file, but that doesn't mean you have to make them all obviously. 

My two cents, would like to see a tough international job as the first one :)

One suggestion for a challenge, although I realise it's a bit "out there"; 

I have never touched an FM editor, so don't know anything about it. But is it possible, and I would think it is, to substitute a Premier League side, with a Championship at the start of the game? 

I think that could be fun. Have Leeds for example trade places with Burnley, and then the challenge is to survive the first yeear of the Premier League with Leeds (or any other team for that matter). 

Thanks for all input here. I see that most would like to have a common save file. I was thinking slightly different, as I wanted all contestants to be able to build their character throughout the game. But I will see what I can do. 

Archived