FM17 Youth Academy Challenge

Welcome back everyone!!

This is the 2017 incarnation of the Youth Academy Challenge started by ri916

The Aim
To win your chosen countries' top division and win the Champions League with a previously unplayable club using only your academy as a way of acquiring new players.

The Available Countries
Any Country in Europe is eligible as long as you can get a previously unplayable side promoted from Holidaying.

The Reset Dates
(Dates will appear when they have been confirmed for FM17)

• Austria - June 6th
  • Belarus
  • Belgium - June 30th
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • England
  • Finland
  • France - June 20th
  • Germany - June 20th
  • Holland - July 7th
  • Iceland
  • Italy - June 30th
  • Northern Ireland - June 25th
  • Norway - January 13th
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Scotland - June 25th (May 6th is when team is chosen for the playoff)
  • Spain - July 10th
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey

Database Settings

Mandatory

• Only load the Nation you’re managing in
  • Database size can be small, medium or large
  • Advanced Options have to be as shown here --> Tmlt92S.jpg

Optional

• Any additional settings in the ‘Advanced Database Setup’ – Due to us not being allowed to buy players, adding extra players just adds to the realism of your game and potentially slightly increases difficulty. NOTE – It is highly recommended you add the highest unplayable leagues for your country, as this will help make sure the promoted teams (you will be taking control of) have players. As an example, this is what I loaded for Croatia - Xre3XJO.jpg
  • Players from Top Clubs in Europe is also recommended

Steps When Getting Started

1. Add yourself as an unemployed manager. Call him holiday man if you want.
  2. Go on holiday until the reset date of your nation or the day before if you’re planning on reloading.
  3. Retire the manager
  4. Add a new manager with your chosen nationality and the lowest possible reputation and qualifications
  5. Choose the newly promoted club of your choice

Rules for the Challenge

• No loans or transfers in are allowed but you can sell and loan players out.
  • If you are sacked, sorry, you have to start again.
  • No save game editors are allowed. Only cosmetic database edits are allowed. (Team/competition names/logos)
  • No international management until completion of challenge.
  • Signing backroom staff is allowed. Signing players on trial or signing grey players isn't allowed.

Rules for this Thread

• Player naming is allowed.
  • General discussion on tactics is allowed, although people should not refer to downloaded tactics. They are not banned, but I would expect the majority of people to avoid them.
  • Screenshots for anything are encouraged but please post links to your pictures, don't post them as images as it makes the pages slower to load.
  • When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the league reset date.
  • Progress of your club should be documented using this thread. The beauty of these challenge threads is to share your story and to read others. Please keep us updated, even if you are not performing as you may wish.

Season Update

• Youth Candidates
  • All Tagged Players Attribute page
  • Transfers (to prove that you haven’t signed any players)
  • Squad
  • League Table

Anything else is optional.

Also, some people like to nickname/tag their best players from each youth intake in chronological order. For example, you could nickname your best player in the intake in season 1 as *their name* YP01a, and so on. But this is not compulsory if you don't wish to.

I have copied and pasted last years starting post to get the ball rolling, I will update with necessary information as we get going!

Good luck to all!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After failing to complete the challenge last year ( :( ) I am going to give Germany (and its potentially annoying rule about not being allowed to play u17s in the first team) a try for the first time ever.  Holidaying as we speak!

Thanks for start dates :thup: 

Good luck @Bartrcm!

I have joined TSV Alemannia Aachen, or just Aachen for short.

Starting Profile

They actually have a fairly healthy start point, with a HUGE stadium (although I am a little concerned that its maintenance may cripple our finances....) and decent facilities.  Just 18 players in the squad (and 4 youths, who cannot play for the first season due to their age), but they look a capable bunch.

The clinching factoid......  Their nickname is 'Die Kartoffelkafer', which translates to 'the Potato Beetles'! :lol: (Apparently their colors - yellow & black - resemble them....)

170px-Aachen_TSV_Alemannia_old.svg.png

Decided to start in France with Rodez Aveyron Football.

Predicted to finish bottom with the smallest squad and stadium in the league promises a tough proposition, but at least the expectations are low and in France there's the slight get out that if we go down and I don't get sacked I can carry on managing in the CFA.

Manager Profile

Thanks @Jintro. Always had a lot of sympathy for your team.

And I'll show them who is the best team in town. ;)

@Braumiller, is Kenny Nsumbu Mpaka in your Aachen team? Played at RC Mechelen last season, and got a transfer to Aachen. He won't be iin the first team, but maybe in the youth sqaud?

32 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

@Braumiller, is Kenny Nsumbu Mpaka in your Aachen team? Played at RC Mechelen last season, and got a transfer to Aachen. He won't be iin the first team, but maybe in the youth sqaud?

Nope :(  Searched for him in game and didn't find him either :(

On 19.10.2016 at 20:23, Braumiller said:

Thanks for start dates :thup: 

Good luck @Bartrcm!

I have joined TSV Alemannia Aachen, or just Aachen for short.

Starting Profile

They actually have a fairly healthy start point, with a HUGE stadium (although I am a little concerned that its maintenance may cripple our finances....) and decent facilities.  Just 18 players in the squad (and 4 youths, who cannot play for the first season due to their age), but they look a capable bunch.

The clinching factoid......  Their nickname is 'Die Kartoffelkafer', which translates to 'the Potato Beetles'! :lol: (Apparently their colors - yellow & black - resemble them....)

170px-Aachen_TSV_Alemannia_old.svg.png

nice to see @Braumiller;)

I was there in July when I visited the CHIO Horse Championship, very impressive city and stadium 

cheers

20160713_095915.jpg

8 hours ago, Ropotas said:

Sorry  for asking but if i activate all the categories of a country from last category who is "lower leagues" teams can get promotion??

Not sure I fully understand the question @Ropotas :( 

Once you start the game as the unemployed manager, have him go on holiday for ~12 months until the 'reset' date for your league (where the new season begins and the promotions & relegation officially take place).  At this point you can then see the newly promoted teams who have moved into the lowest playable league in the Season Summary screen.  (Click on the 'world' icon at the top of the screen, then chose your country from the 'Nations' drop down menu, and then select 'Season Summary').  Hope that helps

6 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

Hey!  This thread came up like one hour after I started, you can follow my progress here :) I'm with IFK Trelleborg in Sweden, I can't remember when the season update was but I'll let you know when it comes up next season.

@mjaferrie Good luck!  Sweden is one of my favorite countries for playing this challenge, I hope you enjoy it too!  If you want to, feel free to drop a season summary post in here as well :thup:

@Forest I was just google'ing this earlier this afternoon actually, to see if it actually is as big in real life!  It really is one heck of a stadium!

@Padders fantastic result!

Just coming up on our mid winter break in my first season and really enjoying all the extra little pieces of information that are now very easily at hand in the UI :thup:  As is usually the way for a lot of us in the first season, I have had a couple of games with the age old tradition of only being able to field 2 outfield players on the bench :D 

Also had to fend off a swarm of 2nd tier clubs from one of my youngsters in the summer transfer window, hoping we manage the same here in the upcoming January window!

4 hours ago, Braumiller said:

Not sure I fully understand the question @Ropotas :( 

Once you start the game as the unemployed manager, have him go on holiday for ~12 months until the 'reset' date for your league (where the new season begins and the promotions & relegation officially take place).  At this point you can then see the newly promoted teams who have moved into the lowest playable league in the Season Summary screen.  (Click on the 'world' icon at the top of the screen, then chose your country from the 'Nations' drop down menu, and then select 'Season Summary').  Hope that helps

@mjaferrie Good luck!  Sweden is one of my favorite countries for playing this challenge, I hope you enjoy it too!  If you want to, feel free to drop a season summary post in here as well :thup:

@Forest I was just google'ing this earlier this afternoon actually, to see if it actually is as big in real life!  It really is one heck of a stadium!

@Padders fantastic result!

Just coming up on our mid winter break in my first season and really enjoying all the extra little pieces of information that are now very easily at hand in the UI :thup:  As is usually the way for a lot of us in the first season, I have had a couple of games with the age old tradition of only being able to field 2 outfield players on the bench :D 

Also had to fend off a swarm of 2nd tier clubs from one of my youngsters in the summer transfer window, hoping we manage the same here in the upcoming January window!

First of all thanks for the answer...I understand that my friend i just ask if you know this..When you start a game and use custom database the last category from all countries (Switzerland for example)called in game "lower leagues"there are all the amateure teams of a country,if i tick and activate "lower leagues" i ask you if the teams from there can get promotion because i think they can't...thanks  again for the answer!!

3 hours ago, Ropotas said:
First of all thanks for the answer...I understand that my friend i just ask if you know this..When you start a game and use custom database the last category from all countries (Switzerland for example)called in game "lower leagues"there are all the amateure teams of a country,if i tick and activate "lower leagues" i ask you if the teams from there can get promotion because i think they can't...thanks  again for the answer!!

If you mean on the advanced database settings, ticking the lower leagues box doesn't actually activate the league, it just adds all the players these teams have into your game, rather than them just getting promoted into the playable leagues with one or two players and lots of greys. They'll still get promoted as normal at the reset date after season one.

I've just had my first youth intake in my Rodez game, and it's not a bad one to be fair though none are immediate first teamers.

At work at the moment so I can't post any screenshots, but I should have my first season review up this evening.

@Braumiller what's the age of your starting squad like? The only try I've had in Germany ended pretty quickly, as all my 35 year old first teamers retired before my first set of youths were old enough to become eligible to play and replace them.

6 hours ago, Ropotas said:

Aha, gotcha - yep, as @officiallydeej explained earlier :thup:

2 hours ago, officiallydeej said:

@Braumiller what's the age of your starting squad like? The only try I've had in Germany ended pretty quickly, as all my 35 year old first teamers retired before my first set of youths were old enough to become eligible to play and replace them.

We are not in too bad of a situation.  Our key midfielder and captain is 33, just turned 34 but most everyone else is mid twenties.

Just received my first intake here as well and while not thrilled by it, there is a little potential in there.  The exciting part is two of the intake from the 'holiday season' become available next season and both can play central midfield.  Both have attracted good bids in the transfer windows, so hoping that bodes well.

Puchov - 2017/2018 - Slovakian 2nd Division

Fk_puchov.png

Me - Introducing myself into this challenge

League - We were fantastic all year round. We stayed near the top of the league. We went  on a huge unbeaten 12 game run before the break which really put us into the spot to challenge for promotion. In the second half of the season we didnt win for 6 games and that stunted our progression a little. We did recover a little and the teams above us faltered. In the last game of the season a win would have taken us up, in the end we didnt have it as we lost and this meant we would finish 3rd

Competitions - Beaten by eventual runners up and winners of our league

Youth - Couple of decent players especially one good keeper

Transfers - Just to show no one coming in

Finance - Far from ideal

Stars

Peter Micic - Left back who at times covered in the middle of the defence. Played really well in both spots and surprised me with 4 assists. 

Michael Korney - Decent defender who really marshalled the back line for us. Really good defender at this level

Branislav Gambos - Played behind my striker and was excellent scored a lot and created a few very good player

Next Year

Not sure what to expect, I have resigned everyone for next year so much of the same would be ideal. I expect to get my young keeper a couple of games next year to continue his development. 

Story So Far

2017/18 - 3rd in Slovakian 2nd Division

3 hours ago, officiallydeej said:

If you mean on the advanced database settings, ticking the lower leagues box doesn't actually activate the league, it just adds all the players these teams have into your game, rather than them just getting promoted into the playable leagues with one or two players and lots of greys. They'll still get promoted as normal at the reset date after season one.

I've just had my first youth intake in my Rodez game, and it's not a bad one to be fair though none are immediate first teamers.

At work at the moment so I can't post any screenshots, but I should have my first season review up this evening.

22 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

Aha, gotcha - yep, as @officiallydeej explained earlier :thup:

Thanks!!

15 hours ago, Padders said:

Barwell%20v%20Boston%20Utd_%20Overview%2

One of my biggest wins for a long long time

Was bottom of the league after 10 games before then (now 22nd)

You don't by any chance have the Barwell being promoted save from the start do you? They are the highest team (Joint with Coalville Town as they got promoted) other than Leicester City in our county so would be good to start with them

logo.png

Kalundborg GB - Start of the Challenge

My Profile | Facilities | Finances | Squad | Transfers

Kalundborg Gymnastikforening og Boldklub  are a team from Kalundborg in Denmark, a town of some 16.000 inhabitants, situated on the unfashionable side of Sjaeland 110 km from Copenhagen. The town has a harbour, a radio transmitter (which according to Wikipedia it is famous for, I'm guessing with a very specific subset of Danish people that don't get out much), an oil refinery and a rather good-looking church. Despite all these assets it's, suprisingly, not a hotbed for European Football. Time for an unkown Belgian manager to fix this obvious oversight.

The good news is that we are not in danger of running out of space in the locker room any time soon, With exactly 13 players I can use my time normally reserved for dealing with players unhappy about playing time for praying to the Injury Gods. On the offensive side of the ball we have at least some players that can play a couple of positions on the field, as long as it's in an attacking position, and I have one spare striker. The defensive side is a bigger problem, as I have four players for four positions (and none of them are even remotely a RB). Basically I'm starting the season one injury/suspension away from having to play a striker in the back four. We have two goalkeepers, both past 30 years old.

The danish third division starts with three groups of eight, who play each other untill the beginning of november. The top four of every group enter a promotion stage, the bottom four a relegation stage. The relegation stage starts in march, by which time I hope I have gotten a youth intake, after doing something with the points from the first half which I haven't been able to figure out. (You don't start from zero, you don't keep your point, and they don't half them.). Ending in the last four of the relegation stage is game over.

The season so far: I have played on untill the end of the first stage to see if this save is viable before posting. The lack of players is hurting me a lot. Luckily for now I haven't gotten more than one serious injury at a time. So I have always been able to field the full 11 players without having to use grays. We had an awful start untill I figured out that my defense is useless at anything other than "awfully deep and then take a couple of steps backwards".  We have problems scoring, but at least the conceding was down after that.  After a couble of games we settled on a 4-4-2 with attacking wingers on counter mentality. That produced at least some results, even if we kept loosing out fair share. I started getting some hope untill my only LB was injured for 2 months. I forgot about making tactics sensible, and just tried to play players in positions they are somewhat competent in, resulting in what the game calls 3-3-4 (Assymetric AML). Clearly the opposition were suprised as we ended the first stage with a draw and a win.

League table after stage one
League table for the relegation stage

As I said above, no idea what's going on with the points, but I love that the powers that be gave us a fighting chance.

47 minutes ago, Shevchenko said:

Can someone tell me what is the lowest rated playable division in-game? ;) I'm thinking about Sweden, but don't have the game on this PC to check the division ratings :)

Not a 100% sure, but I think Northern Irelands lowest division must be close.

Rodez Averyron Football

logo%20fond%20jaune_zpssxrokp36.jpg

League Table - 7th - We started poor and were rock bottom with 4 defeats from 4 at the end of August. I switched to a simple 4-4-2 to try and tighten us up at the back and from there we went from strength to strength, and were in with a shout of promotion up until the last 5 games where a run of 1 win in 5 ended any outside chance. As it turned out we still only ended up 3 points outside the playoff spot, and our GD was that good that just one win from the other four games would have seen us finish third. I’m not too disappointed though, as I feel we hugely over achieved with the players at our disposal and going into Ligue 2 this early would have possibly led to relegation, and certainly prevented me giving any experience to young players.

Cups - Made light work of three lower league teams before falling in the eighth round to my parent club, Tours FC

Finances - Not too shabby. They were steadily increasing until I had a junior coaching upgrade approved, then fell slowly until a good run of form pushed the attendances up enough to turn a small profit.

Facilities - Managed a junior coaching upgrade but nothing on the facilities front so far.

Transfers - One from a couple of weeks before I joined the club.

Top Performers

Maxime Ras - Top scorer in the division with 24 goals - 5 clear of anyone else, and also chipped in with 11 assists. He’s 29 so i’ll only get a couple more years out of him, but there’s a couple of other strikers waiting in the wings. Av Rating 7.41

Loic Coupin - It took my until close to Christmas to settle on Maxime’s striker partner, but after Coupin complained about lack of match time I decided to throw him in and he certainly didn’t disappoint. 17 goals in 20 starts for the 27 year old who I managed to tie down for another 2 years late on in the season. Av Rating 7.45

Pedro Goncalves - This lad ended the season with the highest average rating in the division, and although his stats don’t look fantastic he was consistently above average, and even when the team as a whole didn’t perform well his performances scarcely dipped below a solid 7. An assist every two games is a good return from a winger at any level, hopefully i’ll be able to keep him on the pitch for more than 23 games next term. Av Rating 7.52

Youth Intake - A decent first bunch but no-one ready to make an immediate impact. 

Laurent Coudert (18A) - Decent starting stats and a good personality. Need to work on his tackling and he isn’t the tallest, but confident he can contribute going forward.

Thibaud Winterstein (18B) - My assistant reckons he’s a target man, but at 5’9 I don’t think so. He’ll need some work for sure, but a promising return of 7 in 8 for my u19’s makes me think he’s got something about him.

Emmanuel Sery (18C) - He’s pretty well rounded, but both of my first team keepers are still young and two of my best players. He may end up out on loan but we’ll see how he goes.

Next Season

More of the same. The finances are holding pretty steady so promotion isn’t as essential just yet as it might be if I was in a different country, meaning another top half finish would be more than satisfactory. The ground only holds 2,900 however (can’t use terracing), and we weren’t far off capacity last season so there is a limit to my income at this level in the longer term. Youth recruitment isn’t an option yet as there was no significant increase in the clubs reputation, but another junior coaching upgrade wouldn’t go amiss.

|  Season  |     Division     |  Final Position  |   French Cup  |    Coupe de Ligue   |  Average Attendance |

| 2017/18  |     National     |       7th        |   8th Round   |         N/A         |         2320        |

25 minutes ago, Jintro said:

@officiallydeej A fantastic first season judging by the League position, but I have problems opening the images (it says I can't connect to photobucket)

Thanks. Hmm, I seem to be able to view the images okay, is anyone else having problems? I've had a look at my account and everything is set to public so not sure what else to try..

11 minutes ago, ashton321 said:

@officiallydeej good season there pal well done. 

Onto midway through the 2nd season now in Slovakia and all is going very well

Cheers bud. What is the standard like in Slovakia, are you already Pro or will you need promotion first? Don't think i've ever managed there on any FM.

So this happened.

With four players injured at the start of the Relegation stage, we never stood a chance. 

Results

Happy to get some results in the end, as it was getting pretty depressing, but to be honest we were out of it by the time we started. We just didn't have the players to mount a serious attempt at staying up. Even the better players in the squad were rated as good for the level below us. Apart from the long winter break, I like the competition format, so maybe I'll be back to Denmark, if not here then with Gundo's challenge.  I believe Denmark should be doable as the level of competition is pretty bad, but take a team with a few players to get you started. 

Anyway, I have some ideas on where to go next. Loading now to see if something interesting comes up.

Rodez Averyron Football 2018/19

League Table - 8th - 8 points and one place lower than last season. We were actually right up there in 3rd at the winter break, but I decided I needed to blood some youths as I was still running with a full non regen squad and as i’ve found out in the past this isn’t sustainable long term, so I sacrificed promotion to get some games into my youth players.

Cups - Out away to a divisional rival in the 6th round. The money doesn’t seem to be great so i’m not overly concerned.

Finances - Forgot to Screenshot this, but we actually get a solidarity payment of around 400k from the league each season, which puts us far enough in the black to get all the way through the following season with no losses.

Facilities - Another Junior Coaching upgrade and a Youth Facilities upgrade. Things are definitely on the up in this area, but we need to look at the fact we're now maxing out the stadium most home games.

Transfers - A few fringe players out to make room for some youths in the match day squad. Nothing in of course.

Previous Intakes

The eagle eyed amongst you may notice that these screenshots are taken 3 months late, as i’ve written this up 10 games into the following season and totally forgot to screenshot this part until now.

Laurent Coudert 18A - He was developing slowly in the U19’s until the winter break when I got a message from my HOYD saying it was imperative I gave him some first team games or he’d never reach his potential. I threw him straight into the first team along with one or two other young un’s for the second half of the season, and although results inevitably suffered Laurent was surprisingly consistent. His potential has jumped from a National to Ligue 1 player, so as long as I can hold onto him i’m expecting big things.

Thibaud Winterstein 18B - The lad who sounds like he belong in Game of Thrones rather than Football Manager has had a slower rise towards the first team, although his stats are developing well after being tutored by all three of our senior strikers. He’s not far off breaking into the first team set up, but i’ve switched to one up front so his chances have been limited so far.

Emmanuel Sery 18C - Still a long way behind our first team keeper, so no football for him yet as I consider Keeper the key position in any team so i’m loathe to throw a young un in. I still think he has good base stats though, so I may loan him out as a way to get him some first team football.

Youth Intake - Two standouts here, both of whom I have very high hopes.

Dorian Santiago 19A - Another fantastically named youngster, Dorian is the pick of the intake. As i’ve played a little in front I can give a little spoiler here, but he’s already in the first team on the right wing and i’m fending off bids from some lower Ligue 1 teams, which has led to me having to reject a transfer request from him.

Clement Delmas 19B - Needs a little work, but 2 of my 3 first choice midfielders are the wrong side of 30, so expect to see him on the pitch for the first team sooner rather than later.

Next Season

Well i’ve already played 10 games so i’m writing this rather in hindsight. My aim was to sacrifice a run at promotion to get all my promising youths as much football as possible, and that’s exactly what i’m doing bar the goalkeeper. Another one or two decent finishes in this position, coupled with the continued facility upgrades that the end of season money allow and I think we’ll be ready to steamroller this division.

In the meantime however, i'm happy for our results to suffer slightly to get my best youth players playing every week.
|  Season  |     Division     |  Final Position  |   French Cup  |    Coupe de Ligue   |  Average Attendance |

| 2017/18  |     National     |       7th        |   8th Round   |         N/A         |         2320        |
| 2018/19  |     National     |       8th        |   6th Round   |         N/A         |         2546       |

Trying to think of who to start as and want to build a youth academy in a really isolated/obscure place. Currently looking at Portugal with the islands. Iceland another option.

Does anyone know of other clubs that may be eligible for the challenge like other island teams, top of Scandinavia etc.

29 minutes ago, Mushtaq said:

Trying to think of who to start as and want to build a youth academy in a really isolated/obscure place. Currently looking at Portugal with the islands. Iceland another option.

Does anyone know of other clubs that may be eligible for the challenge like other island teams, top of Scandinavia etc.

Some teams from the far-east of Russia might also be in the running. Last year Wick Academy came up regulary, a town of 7000 people in the far north of Scotland.

Archived