Help me keep my beloved Baggies job

Right did the beta with Arsenal and really loved everything about the new game, got the results and tactics were great. When the full game came out I started my usual West Brom save and what started out ok safely in mid table we have no dropped down to 17th, luckily we are 8 points clear of the relegation places currently but the board have spoke to me after 2 games now to question their confidence in me. Please dont judge me on the Macheda and Ronaldinho signings I was just desperate as Berahino broke his leg after the window shut and Rondon picked up a knock for a few weeks and was unavailable to me and I just needed something. Look at my fixtures and its ridiculous how downhill we have gone. After the Leicester game I was happy with 4 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses and like I say sitting safely in mid table then all of a sudden that Stoke game was out of no where we even took the lead. I have now changed tactics since that game but nothing is making a massive change and all of a sudden Rondon is looking like a League 2 striker. Any advice

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Stoke are invincible they battered me 8-0 in my Arsenal save (Beta) even though I was top and now in my Spurs save they cost me the league on the last day of season 1 and arsenal took it from me. After a 7-1 beasting your players probably lost morale... added to the fact you are managing a difficult side with maybe some built in frailty in the players.. I'd say you will see the occasional run of poor form.

I like your counter tactic ...that said, with the counter option you probably don't need an AP as it's all about winning the ball back and then letting the automatic counter mentality kick in (if you win ball back and the counter is on, with counter mentality it ignores player roles/instructions and acts like an overload, all of them will bomb forward regardless)... so cm(s) or another defensive role for sitting back and winning ball will work better. Same with the Wing attack... change to support

Otherwise go more attacking and play a more standard 41221 or 4231 attack... will be hit and miss but likely to win 30% of your games and avoid the drop. then each season you can add quality and go up bit by bit.

Like everything you have said there to be honest makes total sense. Made a few tweaks. Yacob was back from injury so played him as an Anchorman and replaced Morrison with Fletcher as a CM(s). We played awful and got beat 3-1 by Sunderland but we should have scored at 2-1 down with 3 minutes to go but Macheda looked as convincing as Emile Heskey. Did push Chadli and Phillips into the AM strata and we looked better then but the game was gone then. Now if you look at my fixtures after that you will see we have Man U away next who are top by the way. So going to changed to defensive from counter and see if I can keep them out as after that we have 3 more of the big boys to play. I really dont think ill see the New Year as manager. I just dont understand where it has all gone wrong. This tactic I posted we have only used since the Stoke game but my old tactic seemed good enough for what I was trying to do with a really poor squad due to injuries and a lack of recruitment. Going to have to see what happens now. Any advice for playing the big boys will be much appreciated.

There is a few potential issues with the tactic. You have two wingers and a striker who drops off and roams, so there will be times when nobody is in the box to cross to. Also, you have nobody joining the striker from midfield as the AP will mainly sit in the hole.

As has been just mentioned, you have virtually no movement between the lines. You have scored 4 goals in 10 games and everything I am seeing in your tactic screams that. Two wingers who will stay wide(sometimes cut in and offer a goal scoring oppo) a striker who drops deeper but for what reason I don't know because he has no goal threat to play in and if he decides to run with the ball he will just run in to trouble because no one around him  making runs or offering an outlet to pass to.

So in essence you have two wingers who are asked to stay wide an AP whose job it is to sit in the hole and spray passes, and a DLP who is stationary. You need to make at least one of the wingers a goal threa,t get one of the CM'ers helping link play and shuttling from CM to AM and I have to ask why are you using the drop deeper shout when you are already using counter?

Counter attacks are triggered in the match engine when certain criteria are met, but you still need to attack when you aren't counter attacking. If you play a team who don't commit men forward you may have zero opportunities to counter attack in a match.

I suggest reading Cleon's The Art of Counter Attacking thread in the stickies for a better understanding.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Makes total sense, last night played the Man U game and lost 2-0, then drew 0-0 with Liverpool but got stuffed 3-0 by Spurs. I even switched Rondon to an AF(a) as I thought the same thing but he was just as useless. In all fairness even as a CF(s) he has got chances but I think his confidence is shot and we may aswell not bother having him on the pitch. Can someone explain about the AP role I still thought they liked to get forward. Is it best instead to play a CM(a) instead? I somehow still have my job and I just want to get through the Chelsea game and get to the transfer window to get a striker in and hopefully be able to try and get a big confidence boosting win against Blackburn in the cup.

All academic now. Lost my job. Played really well to beat Chelsea 2-1 and then got thumped 4-0 by Blackburn. Think I need to do finally admit I dont know how to play FM nowadays. My last real success was back on about FM08. Gonna read some articles and start something new off. So playing structured makes you more attack minded? 

Perhaps try a better team. It makes tactics so much easier when you have the players to keep up with your opponents. As is, you may lose a match 2-0 despite having used a fairly good tactic.

Although yes, I would have used a BBM(s) and/or CM(a) in central midfield of your 4-1-4-1 and thought about using WM(a) roles on the wings.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 07:51, robwesty85 said:

All academic now. Lost my job. Played really well to beat Chelsea 2-1 and then got thumped 4-0 by Blackburn. Think I need to do finally admit I dont know how to play FM nowadays. My last real success was back on about FM08. Gonna read some articles and start something new off. So playing structured makes you more attack minded? 

no - structured merely means your players will focus more on the role/position they are given ... whereas with very fluid you can use support duties and standard roles and the players will have the creative freedom to both attack and defend.

if you play attack mentality you probably want to use a structured approach so that the players stay in their attack position/duty. If playing counter or standard then using fluidity will help you commit more bodies forward than what is on a paper a solid base. I think...

I.e Attack plus very fluid in a 442 will see your defenders/midfielders joining attacks regardless of their duty. Attack plus structured means your defence will keep their shape, any midfielders/forwards with attack duty will play attacking.

i had issues with playing structured and counter in a 442 - see my Burnley thread if you want,  the replies helped turn it round

I know it's irrelevant now but get some support for Rondon (or other target men). In my team I use btb mid on support, one winger (we only have one) and the other supportive wide, and a holding  mid. 

Limited team instructions and OI to keep it simple 

working so far with in theory a lesser squad

Archived