FM17 Gibraltar Challenge

QSF25

Gibraltar Challenge

The goal is to take any team from Gibraltar to the top of the Uefa Champions league and then make the nation World Cup Champions.

Rules:

No badges/Sunday League footballer

The Challenge. 

Part 1.

You have to start as a manager in any Gibraltar club, and without using the editor or any scouting tools, you have to take them to the top of  the Champions League.

Part 2.

You have to win the World Cup with the Gibraltar National Team. Expect to put a LOT into the save if you want to get anywhere near this.

You can choose to start as manager of both the Club and National Team from the outset but the fun is to weave a story.

Looks pretty interesting I might give it a go. It probably keep me busy for a while. Just one question, what is the best Gibraltar League file to use for this?

Just had a glance at the teams. Gonna be rock hard to displace Lincoln Red Imps as they are the only professional team and have been champions for last 14 seasons. League prize money also helps them with £200k+ going to league winner and barely anything for second place and below. Only one European place on offer also.

Tempted to give this a go purely as there is a team called Hound Dogs in second division with a paw print as their club badge.

It is relative good challenge if you are start with an amateur side as you can hire and release any players until you create the kind of football you are aiming. 

It was easier in other editions as you could still put a fight with professional team and win the rock cup. Which if you win promotion you could go to europe and was instant pro club for you.

The club side of things will be fairly easy.  Takes a long time, but I've done it several times.  Just a matter of getting past the qualifiers in either European competition.  Once you do that, the money that comes in starts the snowball of more and more money and it's not too bad from there.

The national side of things though...I'd go as far as saying it's nigh on impossible.  The youth rating of Gibraltar is incredibly low, so you're unlikely to produce good enough players to even qualify for a tournament, let alone win it.  Naturalised players are needed to take it to the next level, but they'll only get you so far (if they're that good, they'll play for their first nation).  With some clever management and luck it might be possible, but unlikely.  The only time I achieved anything on this front was to qualify for the Euros through the Nations League back-door.  Lost all three games heavily at the tournament, although we did score one goal.

On 2/12/2016 at 12:18, forameuss said:

The club side of things will be fairly easy.  Takes a long time, but I've done it several times.  Just a matter of getting past the qualifiers in either European competition.  Once you do that, the money that comes in starts the snowball of more and more money and it's not too bad from there.

The national side of things though...I'd go as far as saying it's nigh on impossible.  The youth rating of Gibraltar is incredibly low, so you're unlikely to produce good enough players to even qualify for a tournament, let alone win it.  Naturalised players are needed to take it to the next level, but they'll only get you so far (if they're that good, they'll play for their first nation).  With some clever management and luck it might be possible, but unlikely.  The only time I achieved anything on this front was to qualify for the Euros through the Nations League back-door.  Lost all three games heavily at the tournament, although we did score one goal.

i think is a miracle to quilify with these nations to a big competition so you must be happy with this achievement...Maybe is easier with clubs like San Marino fc or Andorra fc because they plau in big leagues....

On 2/12/2016 at 02:18, forameuss said:

Ill be honest it does take a lot of time but it can be done. youth rating just makes it slower.

1 minute ago, QSF25 said:

Ill be honest it does take a lot of time but it can be done. youth rating just makes it slower.

Have you done it?  Not being antagonistic or anything, but as far as I know youth rating is static, so as long as that stays at the low level, you're going to get largely turd-irrific youth intakes.  Hell, I even upped the youth rating to what I thought was more realistic for a personal save, and they still struggled to produce anything long term.

Could be wrong, and youth rating may not be static, but after about 50 years in a couple of my saves, they've struggled to produce anyone worthwhile, and that's with one club having state of the art facilities and the rest improving them bit by bit.  Think the one that got the furthest as far as I know was Jimbokav in his career thread.  He worked wonders with limited resources.

13 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Have you done it?  Not being antagonistic or anything, but as far as I know youth rating is static, so as long as that stays at the low level, you're going to get largely turd-irrific youth intakes.  Hell, I even upped the youth rating to what I thought was more realistic for a personal save, and they still struggled to produce anything long term.

Could be wrong, and youth rating may not be static, but after about 50 years in a couple of my saves, they've struggled to produce anyone worthwhile, and that's with one club having state of the art facilities and the rest improving them bit by bit.  Think the one that got the furthest as far as I know was Jimbokav in his career thread.  He worked wonders with limited resources.

I have finish it only on fm15 the euros but it did take closely to 70 years and you are correct the rating seems static I am not that deeply involved. What I can remember about that save was that I had the league grown. I would develop players and release them or sell them to the other teams.

I think Cleon or another one of the mods made an article about it. 

https://sisportscentre.com/building-a-competitive-league/

The team is not ideal and most of the tournaments I had to play we used a counter tactic because we werent good enough.

Also, you just made me think of a good challenge!  Making a low level league the best league in the world. I wonder how long would that take.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2013-discussion/115482-boosting-league-reputation.html

Haha im getting excited by the idea of doing this challenge now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/35b1xc/yes_finally_my_biggest_achievement_by_far/

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering, what is the accepted way of manager setup for this challenge?  I know in most challenges it is No badges/Sunday League footballer -- but that is one thing I haven't seen mentioned here.

I'm going to google from previous years and see what others have done.  I've just got the game in the last few days so setting up a bunch of saves to figure out what my main save for 2017 is going to be. :)  

Nice to see you here, @jimbokav1971!  Your saves are always very inspiring!

4 minutes ago, QSF25 said:

Yeah the same as other challenges no badges and lower reputation

Thanks bud.  I assumed so, but you might want to edit your initial post for new challengers to have the info.  Luckily, I've been around these parts for a while. :)

I've got a save ready to go, I may just be taking over Hound Dogs in the 2nd tier of Gibraltar. 

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I read somewhere that gibraltars european coefficient places are hardcoded as 2 and can not grow past this despite increasing the league reputation to a point where you should get 3 european places.

Is this true or a myth? If true is there a way to change it in the editor? 

• 5 months later...

Gonna give this a go. Just had a decent save with TPS of Finland where I was able to attract some star players. Hoping I can do the same here with the Hound Dogs, who start in the second tier. Have loaded major nations and all English speaking leagues along with current international players. Be warned, my transfer section is gonna be pages long :D

BoBpfcOS_400x400.jpeg

Hound Dogs - 2016/2017

Table | Rock Cup | Season Summary | Squad | Transfers :eek: | Finances

I've picked up how to game the system with lower league sides and this was an experiment to find out how far I could take it in the lowest league in Europe. Knowing that a players willingness to join is largely based on the current ability of the squad, my plan was to have a revolving door policy, taking thousands on trial and signing those with high ability. I really didn't think I'd be able to pick up the players I eventually got round to. Is a sharp downturn in the career of Emmanuel Eboue as he ends up third choice right back in a Gibraltar second tier side :lol:

Pick of the bunch according to the coach report was centre back Israel Puerto although my favourite player of the season was my playmaker, Zitouni. Top scorer honours went to Mohammad Kdouh.

I was guilty of rushing through matches and not taking care of my tactics, which meant the results don't accurately depict the gulf in quality between my side and every other team in the nation. I thought I would blitz through Red Imps in the semi final of the cup but paid for my lack of attention. I was able to bag the league 2 division cup no bother, however.

Next season goals- I should be displacing Red Imps long reign as champions next season. Now the team has switched from amateur to semi-pro, I'll need to be more selective with my acquisitions as I now have a wage budget to control.

It takes three years to gain Gibraltar nationality, so I also should look to bring in good young talent from major nations that will eventually join the national team. Other teams in Gibraltar have been signing players utilising my mass trial system, so I hope those that did qualify for Europe have better results from the increased quality in their squads.

Season	|       League	      |        Position	           |    Europe	  |      Top scorer          |    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18	|   Second Division   |       1st (14-1-1)	   |      N/A 	  |    Mohammad Kdouh (21)   |   Division 2 League Cup Champions

On 28/09/2017 at 20:27, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Jimbokav1971 Can you post the link to your career save please, I would like to have a read of it.

I have two from (GIB). Unfortunately the pictures are now gone because I no longer use the shambles that is Photobucket.

[Edit]

I've just looked and it would seem that when the forum was updated recently I lost a lot of this 1st thread. It seems to start in March 2033 now which is a real shame:(

20 minutes ago, GreyedOutMan said:

Thinking about doing this at some point but would want to do it with a brand new club and create a history from scratch using the Create-a-Club mode, inserting them in the lowest possible division. Would this be allowed?

As long as it kept the same reputation as the replacement club I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. You'd gain no competitive advantage from it.

Had to call an end to my challenge as I encountered an issue with my club reputation tanking. Became an obscure club, ranked lower than the only non-league club.  Probably payback for my unrealistic transfer methods :lol:

1 minute ago, Balahara said:

As long as it kept the same reputation as the replacement club I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. You'd gain no competitive advantage from it.

Had to call an end to my challenge as I encountered an issue with my club reputation tanking. Became an obscure club, ranked lower than the only non-league club.  Probably payback for my unrealistic transfer methods :lol:

If anything I'd be giving myself a deliberate disadvantage because I think I'd want to do it with the lowest possible club.

Archived