Feature Request Scout Report addition

Dr. Hook

Hi Guys- I would like to request that scout reports include whether players have a "casual approach" to training. This is something that a scout would know about players and it always irks me to sign a guy only then to find out his development his limited because of the casual approach.

Isn't that defined by the hidden "professionalism" and "ambition" attributes + determination that form player's personality, which in turn is discoverable through scouting?

13 hours ago, Haiku said:

Isn't that defined by the hidden "professionalism" and "ambition" attributes + determination that form player's personality, which in turn is discoverable through scouting?

Not always, as Box to Box has said-- often times, and in my current save, you have an ambitious squad personality, you sign a player and maybe he is "balanced and normal" but has a high enough ambition rating for your scouts to say he fits in with the rest of the squad, you assume he is a good fit when most of your players train well. It wouldn't need to be much added, but even a line like "does not always give his all in training" under cons, for example, would do it. It's not really asking for much, and would be helpful- we get info on all sorts of things from scouts as it is.

oh and as an aside, determination does not factor into training at all.

How much detail would a scout be able to get about training performance? He's unlikely to get access to training at another club so having a comment about professionlism & ambition at the extreme ends of the attribute range as is currently the case seems about right.

Sorry to bolt my own stuff onto this Dr Hook but I agree entirely with your line of thinking, but also suggest it ought to go a bit further.

The professionalism and consistency and important matches ability of young players is something relatively untested, it feels wrong that I can scout a player a couple of times as a youngster and know that at the tender age of 16/17 this lad is absolutely perfect for my side because he's going to be consistent at the top level, he can handle the pressures of being a footballer at the top level and he's going to apply himself well for the next 20 years.

Arguably with the current meaning for determination, there is a separate argument entirely as to whether or not that perhaps needs shifting to a hidden attribute (and perhaps being given similar treatment) it doesn't affect training, but it does have a potential to affect development.

1 hour ago, Dr. Hook said:

Not always, as Box to Box has said-- often times, and in my current save, you have an ambitious squad personality, you sign a player and maybe he is "balanced and normal" but has a high enough ambition rating for your scouts to say he fits in with the rest of the squad, you assume he is a good fit when most of your players train well. It wouldn't need to be much added, but even a line like "does not always give his all in training" under cons, for example, would do it. It's not really asking for much, and would be helpful- we get info on all sorts of things from scouts as it is.

oh and as an aside, determination does not factor into training at all.

If the scout rates them as high potential but they have poor personality such as balanced or lower... that's where tutoring comes in. I'd always start tutoring them with someone who is either professional, resolute, ambitious or if lucky enough to have; leader, model professional/citizen etc...

it would be nice to have a more detailed pro and con linked to their personality though. Or maybe recommended tutor if you were to sign the player.

55 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Sorry to bolt my own stuff onto this Dr Hook but I agree entirely with your line of thinking, but also suggest it ought to go a bit further.

The professionalism and consistency and important matches ability of young players is something relatively untested, it feels wrong that I can scout a player a couple of times as a youngster and know that at the tender age of 16/17 this lad is absolutely perfect for my side because he's going to be consistent at the top level, he can handle the pressures of being a footballer at the top level and he's going to apply himself well for the next 20 years.

Arguably with the current meaning for determination, there is a separate argument entirely as to whether or not that perhaps needs shifting to a hidden attribute (and perhaps being given similar treatment) it doesn't affect training, but it does have a potential to affect development.

I've previously suggested that scouting of hidden attributes should be linked to actual events ratehr than the attribute value, as an example if a player has 18 for important matches but for whatever reason rarely puts in a good performance in big games then the scout would report negatively & vice-versa if a low attribute player does well, the up shot is how a player is being used by or performing for their current manager has more weight & if a player has no history to reference then there's no mention of the as yet unknown & untested hidden attributes.

I've also previously suggested chnaging determination to a hidden attribute, I left SI before that went up for approval so have no idea if it made the final cut of features for future versions.

58 minutes ago, santy001 said:

No worries, I agree with you as well here- what I would want from this feature is not a scout telling me what this kid would be in ten years, but simply, at his previous club, did he work hard on the training pitch? I also have a problem with this with older players as well where there is a clear body of work that can be discovered.

In the big picture, yeah, scouting can be improved to be less certain more subjective etc. But I do want to know if *in the past* the player is known for slackness in training :)

46 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

If the scout rates them as high potential but they have poor personality such as balanced or lower... that's where tutoring comes in. I'd always start tutoring them with someone who is either professional, resolute, ambitious or if lucky enough to have; leader, model professional/citizen etc...

it would be nice to have a more detailed pro and con linked to their personality though. Or maybe recommended tutor if you were to sign the player.

Right, but tutoring is not always possible or practical (not to mention that I am hopeful that the whole tutoring thing will get revised in the near future), and sometimes it doesn't work. In the meantime, if I sign a player, outside of whether I can tutor him, I want to know if he is a rotten trainer :). Not to say I wouldn't sign a player based on that alone, but it should be part of the decision process.

• 10 months later...

Archived